The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 AM

Getting milk out of a mattress

Our six-week-old daughter is sleeping in our bed, and she has the unfortunate tendency to fountain in the middle of the night. She did it again this morning and while I've washed the sheets, the milk soaked through to the mattress itself, leaving a moist, smelly spot. What can I do to clean it up before I put the sheets back on? I've heard that dairy stains can be set permanently if not cleaned up right.
Advertisements  
Old 10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Silly, you don't get milk out of a mattress, you get milk out of a cow!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanibelMan
Our six-week-old daughter is sleeping in our bed, and she has the unfortunate tendency to fountain in the middle of the night.
A milk fountain? See a pediatrician pronto. It should be pee, right?

Have you tried diapers?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:17 PM

It seems that dilute household detergent is your best bet. More info here, for instance.

And thank you for remind me once again why I'm not having kids until I have perfected the 100% wipe-clean house (and/or hermetically sealed baby). Second-hand milk in the mattress? Not for me thanks...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I actually like the sound of the title and will try to work it into my future conversations more,

"That's as impossible as getting milk from a mattress."
Old 10-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spingears
A milk fountain? See a pediatrician pronto. It should be pee, right?

Have you tried diapers?
Just to be clear, she's been to the pediatrician and the doctor says it's probably acid reflux. She said as long as she's still gaining weight and it's not occuring after every feeding, we shouldn't worry. She's in the 97th percentile for height and weight and she keeps getting bigger, so it's only a concern in terms of cleaning for now.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:22 PM

I would consider a plastic matertess cover for a while , if it will be a problem. The milk won't go past stuff you can't wash. You could use a carpet cleaner attachment.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:26 PM

Maybe get a Gore-Tex mattress cover to prevent any problems in the future as well?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Definitely get a breathable mattress cover. Actually, go back in time and get one, then this would never have happened.

I'm not sure about getting the milk out; one of those wash-vacs for carpets does sounds like a good idea, but that's going to leave the mattress damp for a day or two.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:43 PM

On a sunny day, lay a clean tarp on your grass. Carry the mattress outside and place it on the tarp. Pour white vinegar onto the milk spot. Lots of it, so it penetrates into the mattress as far as the milk did. Then let the mattress sit in th sun for a few hours.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Dousing it with large amounts of vinegar sounds like a terrible idea. Even if that removes the milk, how will you get rid of the smell of the vinegar?

Take off any nuke the mattress from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:16 AM

Milk is going to be tricky because of the proteins. Is it the proteins that go rancid and stink, right?

I would suggest some sort of enzyme cleaner. Try a pet store for the 'pee eliminator' type of cleansers (Stains and Smells is a brand that we've used in the past). You'll probably have to use a steam cleaner/vacuum to get out the stuff that has soaked in.

The bad news is that I haven't had much success getting the smell of rancid milk and stomach acid out of upholstery. We've gone through a few area rugs and have a lazyboy recliner that has noticeable stains, although the chair has stopped stinking after a few months. I tried cleaning the area rugs with the enzyme cleaner and hosing them off in the back yard, but to no avail. Fortunately the early spitups weren't as noxious as when they start eating real food.

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Mangetout]Dousing it with large amounts of vinegar sounds like a terrible idea. Even if that removes the milk, how will you get rid of the smell of the vinegar?

The scent of white vinegar isn't harsh and it doesn't linger. I used to use it on a baby mattress and blankets to get rid of spilled milk and formula smells. It works on urine smells, too.

During a toddler tantrum, my son threw a bottle of milk at dry-clean-only curtains. The top came off the bottle and the curtains were liberallly splashed. I sponged them off with white vinegar and the milk stains and smell came out. There was no vinegar smell afterwards.

You can place a bowl of white vinegar in a room and it acts as an effective and pleasant room deodorizer.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:38 PM

After you figure out how to clean it, get a plastic mattress cover and use it!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I got an email the other day that said I could turn my mattress into a CASH COW!!!!111
Old 10-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Vinegar is a good idea. We use white vinegar to clean up pee, milk, poop, food, just about everything.

If you have a vinegar odor remain, just clean up the vinegar with a little baking soda. Then if you have baking soda problems, just use a little detergent. For detergent stains use a little club soda. To clean up the club soda try using ketchup. To clean up ketchup....
Old 10-13-2006, 04:40 PM

Seconding the 'soak with enzymatic cleaner' suggestion. Nature's Miracle got dog diarrhea out of our carpet, and very old cat pee funk from a previous renter out of a closet. So milk should be no problem. Apparently it works on anything organic. Petco/Smart has it.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm surprised more here have milked this thread for all its worth. Or do you prefer to sleep on it for a while?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster
I'm surprised more here have milked this thread for all its worth. Or do you prefer to sleep on it for a while?
Maybe this thread has already milked the chimp.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace
Maybe this thread has already milked the chimp.
Nope, this thread has jumped the shark. Lemur866 has milked the chimp.

(Use vinegar, then get a plastic sheet.)
Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Not a plastic mattress cover, which will likely make you AND baby sweat a lot. Might I suggest that you buy a few packs of disposable mattress pads ?

No, they are not available only on eBay- that's just where I found a clear image. Drug stores and supermarkets sell them near the diapers. They are softer, and absorbent to a degree, yet are all plastic on the backing.

Good luck with the reflux, and the oxydizer stuff answer sounds good to me. Destroy the protein, and the mattress will be okay.

Cartooniverse
Old 10-14-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse
Not a plastic mattress cover, which will likely make you AND baby sweat a lot.
Good point, but I've eliminated that problem by putting on a plastic sheet over the mattress, and then a generously quilted mattress pad over that. No sweats, and the matress pad can go in the washing machine with....vinegar.

I found the disposable mattress pads shifted around too much, but YMMV.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:32 AM

I think it is a matter of pissing off the one person who has the means to make the change. If the best friend of the chief engineer of Cadillac had been hurt, he probably couldn't have sold an electric starter to the CEO on a bet.

For example: I like natural stlye peanut butter. I HATE HATE HATE the task of stirring up a new jar.

This task would be made about 25% as painful if the jar were only filled 80% full. (Make the jars 20% "too big") This would make it easy to stir without spilling peanut oil on the counter. It would result in the jars being percieved as "under filled" by the marketing folks, however, so it will never happen regardless the utility....Unless of course the owner of the company that makes the stuff were to actually attempt to consume thier own product.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:14 AM

?? <b>Kevbo</b>

Too late and too many threads to post in.

Second the idea of Nature's Miracle, mostly because I don't like the smell of vinegar in my fabrics. Just be sure to use enough to soak to all the places the milk got to.

Have fun.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef
Silly, you don't get milk out of a mattress, you get milk out of a cow!
It's a little known fact that you can actually get milk out of a mattress if you squeeze hard enough.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:35 AM

Define "fountain". Are you saying she throws up? She's barfing milk? I think that is what you are trying to say.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 AM

They have mattress covers for baby cribs that are not plastic (crinkle*crinkle). Cut off the edge and put it under your sheets.

I was rather leery of the plasticy stuff crib mattresses are made out of. Then my daughter was born and 13 months later, boy am I GLAD!

*Future tip: When the tiny little angel you have learns to take off her diaper, put it on backwards, it takes them a long time to figure that out.

Poopy Picasso's indeed...
Old 10-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot
I found the disposable mattress pads shifted around too much, but YMMV.
--squints-- Are you calling me shiftless??

Personally, I feel that Kevbo has given us all a lot to think about here.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse
--squints-- Are you calling me shiftless??

Good one, punmeister!

No, I'm calling myself a fat ass who can't roll over without taking half the linens with her!

zuma, I think by "fountain", the OP meant "fountain". Babies can achieve some amazing distance, even those that aren't technically projectile vomiting. If they're on their backs when they do it, it literally makes a little milky fountain.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 PM

I'd try OxiClean. I used it to clean a non-machine-washable item that had taken a hit when my son threw up one night, and I was amazed at the result. No residual odor, at all.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:08 PM

Third Nature's Miracle. I use that for anything food related.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:35 AM

Actually, Kevbo has given us a valuable insight into how our ancestors lived. Back before electrical heating pads or central heating, people who lived in cold climates slept with small gas engines under their beds. To get them started, they had to be cranked before bedtime and allowed to warm up. Then, with enough fuel, they would provide sound sleep for those in the bed. This practice had a linguistic relevance as well: The phrase 'Got up on the wrong side of the bed.', meaning 'ill-tempered', was coined as a reference to those poor souls who tried to leave the bed on the side the crank had been installed and ended up getting tangled in the thing before they'd even had their coffee.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth
The phrase 'Got up on the wrong side of the bed.', meaning 'ill-tempered', was coined as a reference to those poor souls who tried to leave the bed on the side the crank had been installed and ended up getting tangled in the thing before they'd even had their coffee.
Beating's too good for ya.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

How do you get milk stains/smells from a mattress?

I say we nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.