The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-15-2006, 07:39 PM
BANNED

What is the largest recorded dose of LSD one has taken?

And how long did they "trip" ?

Disclaimer: LSD is illegal in the U.S. and I am in no way trying to get it or condone its usage. I am simply trying to find out the methods of study used in the past with LSD.
Advertisements  
Old 10-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Does it have to be officially recorded, or can it be just to the best of my recollection?

Never did have any flashbacks. I feel robbed.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
BANNED

On record would be good. Because if I start asking about doses that are off record, that means there isn't a factual answer and the thread doesn't belong here. But since there is a factual answer somewhere, hence the question.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
BANNED

I found this cite claiming it was probably several miligrams.
Quote:
he biggest dose of LSD ever medically documented as taken by human beings occured on the 29th of July, 1972 in San Francisco. It is documented here on The Lycaeum.

In this fascinating misadventure, eight people, four women and four men, ages 19 to 39 (to me these numbers just shout "sleazy old guys and young girls"), came across a white powder which they assumed to be cocaine, and snorted two lines each. It was in fact LSD, 80%-90% pure. The amount ingested is unknown, but was estimated to be several milligrams, each milligram being 10 times the usual dose of 100 micrograms. Within 5 minutes they realised their mistake.

When they arrived at San Francisco general hospital around 15 minutes after snorting the LSD, five of them were comatose. The medical problems that they experienced are various and sound dangerous, including "respiratory arrest" for three of them and "aspiration" for the two others. It's a fair guess that these people would have have died without medical help. However "Recovery was rapid and complete by 12 hours, but included a stage of hyperactivity and severe visual and auditory hallucinations." No kidding. All left the hospital within 48 hours.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:07 AM

I'll never understand why the fuck anyone would take an unfamiliar drug that was just sitting around. Given that just about any chemical can come in the form of a white powder, you'd think they would maybe at least taste a tiny bit of it before snorting lines.

I guess there's a reason why they call it dope.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:09 AM

Not that I advocate tasting any kind of substances. Or doing cocaine.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:38 AM

Not the largest in dose ,but maybe ranking up there in frequency, but according to wiki supposedly during Project MKULTRA "Some subjects' participation was consensual, and in these cases, the subjects appeared to be singled out for even more horrific experiments. In one case, a selection of volunteers were given LSD for 77 days straight." I imagine 77 days straight taking acid would fuck someone up in the head for a while.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:23 AM

Though it is not exactly the most reliable source, a few years back there was an article in VICE magazine about a man who took approximately 50 doses of LSD at one time, and ended up 'trippin' out' for a year. His heart stopped on three separate occasions, and apparently he had severe erectile dysfunction the entire year. The end of the article stated that he now received government pay for post-traumatic stress disorder.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fang
Though it is not exactly the most reliable source, a few years back there was an article in VICE magazine about a man who took approximately 50 doses of LSD at one time, and ended up 'trippin' out' for a year.
If even a part of that is true, he wasn't tripping for a year on LSD, he was just psychologically dysfunctioning for a year because of the severity of the original effects. It's a lot like PTSD really. In fact, there's a fairly reputable theory saying that most of the aftereffects of psychedelics ARE one and the same as PTSD.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fang
Though it is not exactly the most reliable source, a few years back there was an article in VICE magazine about a man who took approximately 50 doses of LSD at one time, and ended up 'trippin' out' for a year. His heart stopped on three separate occasions, and apparently he had severe erectile dysfunction the entire year. The end of the article stated that he now received government pay for post-traumatic stress disorder.
Good lord, Vice magazine? It's a great rag but I wouldn't take anything from it too seriously. Why don't we just toss in some stories from National Lampoon, I'm sure they've covered the topic a few times!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groman
If even a part of that is true, he wasn't tripping for a year on LSD, he was just psychologically dysfunctioning for a year because of the severity of the original effects. It's a lot like PTSD really. In fact, there's a fairly reputable theory saying that most of the aftereffects of psychedelics ARE one and the same as PTSD.
I agree. You try taking LSD every day and you'll find that the effects become less and less with each day. In the 60s we found that you could only effectively trip if you took a few days off after a few days tripping. The drug is practically anti-addictive in its action (I'm talking physical dependence rather than psychological dependence).
Old 10-18-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool
Not the largest in dose ,but maybe ranking up there in frequency, but according to wiki supposedly during Project MKULTRA "Some subjects' participation was consensual, and in these cases, the subjects appeared to be singled out for even more horrific experiments. In one case, a selection of volunteers were given LSD for 77 days straight." I imagine 77 days straight taking acid would fuck someone up in the head for a while.
Meh, not really. After the first few days, it would just be a background buzz if it had any effect at all.

As a teenager I took 10 hits in one sitting. That was a Friday night on a Memorial Day weekend, and I ended up taking 21 hits total by the end of that three day weekend. Over the next few months I accomplished my retarded goal of taking 100 hits in 100 days. After the first weekend, it was basically a three-month background buzz. It didn't even really interefere with my alcohol and weed intake.

I'm less than impressed with "several milligrams" being a huge deal, if one milligram is indeed 10 hits. The 10 hits I took didn't seem to have much more effect than costing 10 times as much as one. Three was my preferred amount.

All that was a decades ago; I probably ingested around 300 hits in my life. Acid always seemed like the least harmful drug I ever tried, and by a wide margin. I'd rate it below caffeine.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:11 PM

haha good lord