How long would it take Napalm/Flamethrower to disable a zombie?

I’ve been reading, like so many other Dopers, Max Brook’s classic Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z, which claim—among some other tactical information that I’m quietly raising an eyebrow at—that re-killing zombies with fire is problematic, because they’ll continute to shamble about, insensitive to pain or fear of injury, like (un)living torches until they finally perish.

Thus, here’s my question: If you attacked a zombie (essentially a normal, albeit animated human corpse) with an incendiary weapon (let’s say, for the purposes of this discussion, a flamethrower firing Napalm—probably overkill, I’ll admit right now.), roughly how long WOULD it take to destroy, or at least disable, the creature?

I mean, painless and fearless or not, muscles cook, sensory organs char, proteins in nerves denature, and brains boil in skulls (possibly “popping” the cranium).

So, I ask ye, fellower Dopers…how fast can I fry a zombie attacker?

Well, the average cremation takes 1.5 hours, so that gives us an upper limit. That’s using an 800,000BTU gas oven. Anybody have a guess as to how many BTUs napalm puts out? Then you have to account for energy wastage as the zombie staggers about. But you also can assume that partial consumption will do to render the zombie immobile and harmless.

According to your link, “Napalm reaches burning temperatures of approximately 1200 °C.”

The Internet Cremation Society has an FAQ that “For an average size adult, cremation takes from two to three hours at normal operating temperature between 1,500 degrees F to 2,000 degrees F.” That comes to approx 815 degrees C to approx 1093 degrees C. I have no idea what formula would be appropriate to calculate how long 1200 degrees C would destroy a body as opposed to 1093 degrees C, and also don’t know if you’d have to reduce the zombie completely to ashes to disable it. But now you know it’d probably be less than 2 hours.

You’d have to take into account that the zombie will most likely continue to mindlessly attack you until it’s been disabled, and that zombies seldom travel alone.

grumbles Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion takes too long!

Let’s see–how long to disable an animated human corpse? Hmmm?

MPSIMS sounds like your spot. Not GQ.

samclem

You’ve got to destroy the brain. I suspect that burning the brain up in the skull would do it, and that burning through the spinal cord would do it.

If you’re following the zombie model in the book, then the zombies are virally-driven, and the virus is transmitted through viscera and fluids. The only effect of napalming the zombie would be to render it less effective, as its limbs are rendered useless.

Everyone knows that zombies need to eat brains to survive, right? And they’re not exactly famous for their smarts, right?

Dump some napalm into brain-shaped jello molds and let them set overnight. Next day, paint veins on the surface (I like to use donut glaze with food coloring.) Leave them on the porch, and be sure to light them before you retire for the night. Sweep away the zombie parts in the morning. No fuss, no muss!

Not in Max Brooks’s version of zombies.
His zombies also deliberately avoid eating things that are already dead.
However, your plan would work for many other zombie incarnations.

That’s rather the gist of my question—I’m not trying to annihilate, or even kill the zombie instantly, I’m just trying to make it stop moving.

Even if it’s still living, or at least only partially cooked…if the zombie’s brain is encased in a smoldering hunk of pot roast, it’s much less of a threat.

I don’t think you’d have to fully cremate the zombie. Frying up all the conecting tissue until it’s crispy and brittle should do the trick. However, without personal access to Hitler’s archives, I don’t think I’m going to be able to find out just what that would take.

Well, uh, I have some, um, facts to contribute. Not sure if this thread needs facts.

We occasionally get in dead (motionless, non-zombie) people who have been charred all over. They vary from people who still have recognizable features (mostly killed by breathing smoke - zombie-irrelevant) to charred lumps. The commonest are people who are in between those two extremes. These people have lost almost all of their skin, sparing maybe the area under the jeans-n-underwear and in the gluteal cleft, with everything else charred.

These people are found in the “pugilistic posture”, so named because ages ago, people thought they died fighting. They have their arms drawn up as if in a parody of a boxer at bay. This is because the flexor muscles are stronger than the extensor muscles (don’t ask me why - empirically observed), so they are all flexed and adducted. Their hands crumble early, so they don’t have fingers any more, and often don’t have palms any more. Feet go just as early if they are barefoot; take longer if there are shoes on (no oxygen = no burning; shoes have to burn off, takes time).

I would think a zombie would be pretty powerless to do you significant harm once they assume the pugilistic posture, even before their hands burn off. And though I have no hard data on how long this takes, seems like in a house fire, which is much cooler than napalm or crematorium, it takes under half an hour. In a car fire, less than twenty minutes.

The brain does boil and blow off the top of the head, but that takes much longer than the pugilistic posture; in a body in the trunk of a car that is torched, maybe it takes, I dunno, forty-five minutes? An hour? And that’s heat in a confined compartment. Takes longer if not enclosed; our house fire people don’t generally have boiled brains and burst crania. After the scalp burns off, they do have fire fractures of the skull sometimes, and fire epidural hemorrhage, none of which was sustained during life. (Makes my job more difficult, is all)

Incidentally, even a person who has been burned until the abdomen pops open and lets out a few coils of small bowel, will generally have otherwise intact viscera, except for the brain; when we do the autopsy, there’s hardly anything that’s really cooked, and those mostly only at the edges. We get liquid blood out to do the tox. We get liquid urine.

And of course I’m not telling you what, in our morgue humor, we call such people.

It is my personal plan to defend myself in the zombie war with a scalpel. I will leave eviscerated struggling zombies everywhere with divided spinal cords and absent viscera. Band together behind me. I’ll be at the morgue; that’s where the best saws are.

In my experience it takes about 20 seconds, max, which is about as long as a typical stunt man can safely hold his breath while staggering around after having been set on fire. Then they fall over.

[[[snork]]]

So probably it would take around or over ten minutes to incapacitate a zombie with napalm.

Though, if you get it’s head, it might not be able to see well enough to be able to do anything. (Though if it bounces into you with napalm on it, you’re pretty much screwed.)

You two have just made me remember why I love the SDMB. Given a question involving zombies, I get facts and I get humor.

Not just that, but humorous facts from a certain point of view.

Hey, the more bizarre the thread, all the more desperately it needs dead serious data to back it up. (Besides, how could I deny the SDMB’s Psychopomp darling a chance to speak? I couldn’t look myself in the mirror anymore. :slight_smile: )

Thanks for the input, btw! It should come in very handy.

Uhh… is that me?

I’m a psychopomp darling?
Psycho I get - I suppose - but pomp??
And circumstance?

(quickly Wikis and googles - nope - no cites - restricted to Ranchoth’s Dope-Prime)

Wow, what with** Subway Prophet** assuring me he’s not stalking me, and you giving me vaguely lunatic names with horrifying undertones, I’m beginning to feel like going to hide behind Twickster.

I’ll be at the morgue if the zombies arrive - feel free to hole up with the rest of us freedom fighters.

From Wikpedia:

So he called you a guide between the world of the living and the world of the dead. Like Charon on the River Styx.

I could think of other specialties that fit the word better, but it is poetic.

I’m not sure naplam would be that wise a choice for disabling zombies - it’s effectiveness would certainly be determined by the terrain you chose to fight in Wouldn’t the mindlessly staggering, blazing zombies just set fire to everything else around them, including any buildings you happened to be in? I mean sure, right there in the graveyard as they burst from their earthy tombs, sure, but most anywhere else you’d just end up a victim of your own collateral damage.

Also - would the zombies have flammable gasses in their decaying bodies that would pose an additional explosion risk?

Threads like this just make me realise how woefully under-prepared we are for the inevitible, eventual zombie apocalypse.

mm