Singer Johnny Mathis was an Olympic caliber athlete

Interesting factoid - I never would have guessed it about him.

That is very cool but how come there is no published biography of a guy with such an intersting life?

Good question. I can’t seem to find one (book type) on the web.

He’s also as gay as Lucy Ricardo’s apron; I also think it would be a fascinating bio.

Just what sport is caliber? Does it have anything to do with birling?

I find this very hard to believe. Impossible, in fact. 6’5" wouldn’t win a High School meet in a lot of places. I’d wager that thousands of people in California have exceeded that height, and probably hundreds of them were High Schoolers.

I’ll go do some research.

That’s funny, based on the picture I saw of him throughout my entire childhood, I thought he’d be a skier.

OK. The world record of 6’ 5 5/8" was set in 1895 by M.F. Sweeney. It was raised to 6’7" in 1912. In 1936 it was up to 6’9".

The 7 foot barrier was broken in 1956.

It looks like the qualifying height for the California State HS meet was 6’ 3", and there were 43 athletes who jumped 6’6" or better.

That article is full of s@#t, man!

Do you have a link for any of that?

http://www.dyestatcal.com/rank/tr2006/May/28StateBoys.htm

Johnny was also born in Texas. Moved to California as a child.

Like Ellen DeGeneres, I don’t see any Texas coming out of him!

Most detail I’ve found so far including stuff about hsi sexuality. He is a bit mysterious, or at least is not as much of an attention whore as other artists.

I thought this part was amusing re trying to “out” the already outed.

Mathis’ former athletic prowess has been common knowledge for a very long time and was, in fact, noted on one of his album jackets back in the dark ages of vinyl.

Wasn’t there was a British heavy metal musician who was (or almost was) a world class fencer?

While I at first was pretty skeptical, it’s basically true, but just a little embellished.

Mathis was indeed a star track athlete at Geo. Washington HS in S.F. He high jumped over 6’ in HS. Impressive at that time.

He was a freshman on the track team at SFSC in March of 54. I could find no newspaper stories that indicate he jumped 6’ 5 or so. At that point in 1954, Russell was the big news, jumping over 6’ 6" But Russell came in second at the West Coast Relays that year to Ernie Shelton, who cleared 6’ 9"

I have no reason to doubt that he was a very good athlete. It is this part -

that I have issues with.

As to the first part, the Olympic record was set at 6’ 7 5/16" in 1936. Walt Davis, in Helsinki in 1952, erased this with a jump of 6’ 8 3/8". The best jump in the 1948 Olympics was 6’ 6". There were no Olympic games in 1940/1944. So, the first part is selectively probably true.

The last parts sound untrue.

Yes. Bruce Dickinson. I once saw footage on TV of him fencing, and although I don’t know enough about the sport to evaluate his performance, I can say that he has a great game face.

I saw him a while back-he looks the same as he did in the 1970’s-is he related to Dick Clark and The Karate Kid? its amazing-the guy looks the same!

So does he fence with foil, epee, saber, or cowbell? :wink: