Guys, how long does it take to grow a beard

Well, I had a decent mustache 30 years ago when I was a kid, but have shaved pretty much every day since. So for a week I haven’t shaved, and have about as much stubble as some guys I know get in a couple days.

I was wondering how long it takes to go from grass to weeds. Should I give up, or wait a couple more weeks/months? I am just curious. What determines beard growth?

Genetics. It’s not something you can really change.

It takes me about 2 weeks to grow in a reasonable looking beard.

For me? About half an hour. Forget shaving, I need to use a machete just to trim the damn thing.

Believe it or not after 3 or 4 days growth at work I have been sent to the changing rooms/toilets to have a shave.

Apologies for the hijack but does anyone know if my company (Tesco) can force me to do this?

For background I’m a baker and my shift is normally 4am - 1pm. Apart from anything else bakers are supposed to be scruffy and we hardly ever go onto the shop floor and get bothered by customers.

Should Tesco respect my diversity or can they insist on my being clean shaven?

I grew an enormous bushy beard for a Victorian-themed event a few years ago. Not knowing how long it would take, I started three months in advance. Some parts (moustache and the bit that alone, would be called a goatee) grew in remarkably quickly, but others (sideburns, particularly) took longer.
Some of the bits that took longer just seemed to grow slower, but the sideburns took a while to ‘fill in’ - some hairs grew quicker than others, so the overall length was there in a month, but the density took longer.

I think they could argue that you ought to look tidy, and being clean shaven (or nearly so) might form part of that. If you decided to actually grow a beard though (as opposed to just shaving infrequently), I think they’d have to make allowance for that period in which it was only partially grown.

Ditto.

Takes me a couple of weeks as well.

Couple weeks? a month? I fear I am genetically out of luck. I guess I will go to the Halloween store. Damn, I always wanted to see myself with a real beard. Or even a goatee. Maybe a goatee isn’t out of the question?

I will post back next year. :smiley:

I don’t know about the U.K., but my husband works in a place that makes food containers, and they provide beard and hair nets for him. He’s pretty hairy.

I believe a few days’ growth wouldn’t even require that. I’d dial up the health department to be sure.

I’m not sure of the exact specifics, but I sure as hell hope so. No one wants your beard hairs dropping in their cupcakes or whatever it is you’re making.

And to the OP- I’m not a man nor do I have a beard, but I do have a funny story. Who doesn’t love funny stories? Ok, it isn’t that funny, but I digress.

My ex boyfriend and his roommate were arguing over who should clean the kitchen. Boyfriend said roomie should do it because he made the biggest mess; roomie said boyfriend should do it because roomie had cleaned it last week. They were arguing with one another when sudden inspiration hit roomie: “I know how we can settle this: BEARD OFF.” And then they proceeded to have a beard off for a month. How this got the kitchen clean, I’ll never know.

All that said, my boyfriend won and boy oh boy was I happy when he shaved. I mean, it had only grown maybe two inches or maybe a bit more, but he was really digging his beard. Hell, he was saying, “Man, how cool would it be if I put beads in this all Pirates of the Caribbean style?!” Me: :dubious:

Wouldn’t that logic require that all employees, male or female, shave their entire bodies?

While I get whiskers on my face, after 2 months I never had what could actually be called a beard. I just had longer whiskers. Given my racial mix, I’m guessing this comes from the Native American piece of my genetic makeup.

Well, if they left their crotch exposed, I guess I’d want some sort of cover over it, too.

Oh, wait, they do; they’re called “pants.”

:slight_smile:

Or wear hair nets and long sleeves? Sure, everyone has little blonde baby hairs all over, but it’s the big gross black hairs hanging off your chin and arms that concerns me when you’re making my lunch.

When I first grew a beard, I just totally gave up on shaving over a two week Christmas vacation. And prior to vacation, I let it slide for several days while still at work. My facial hair grows pretty slowly, so I needed that time to just get started. When I finally had something to work with, I bought my first trimmer and shaped it into something resembling a beard. Once the edges were trimmed, it moved from “scruffiness” to a recognizable beard, even though it wasn’t yet at full splendor.

So, take heart, give it a bit of time, and shape it when it gets to the point that you must shave to be presentable. Putting nice even edges on it makes all the difference in the world, even if it’s only just long enough to be noticed.

Uh…that’s what the facial hair nets I spoke of are for. There is no need to make a guy shave when he can wear a net.

FWIW, many years ago, I refused to fix some customer gear as they would have required me to shave my full beard (which had not been shaved in 2 years) prior to entering the frozen fish packing plant. We sent in the other worker who was (at the time) beardless.

For me it takes about a week to show that I’m “Intentionally growing a beard.” and about 4 weeks to look like a “proper” beard.

My facial hair grows very slowly and is rather sparse, I can’t really grow a proper beard. But it would take at least 3 weeks to get a good mustache or a goatee (sp)

The last time I grew a beard, it took about a month to six weeks.