The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 09-23-2000, 01:09 AM

I am so lazy. And disorganized. I like being on line all day. And reading books. And philsophizing. Ang going to the movies. And meeting people and dating. Chatting.

But work is a drag. And so is cleaning. It took me 6 months to decorate my new apt. -- I just threw a futon on the floor and that was it. Laundry -- yeech! I hate organization -- putting things where they are supposed to be -- but how can I hold down a job if I have to be organized and think about dates and deadlines? I just don't think I was meant for a life of work.

I'm not really immature. I guess I could change. But I don't want to. I like being like this. You too?
Advertisements  
Old 09-23-2000, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

I've pretty much given up on being otherwise.
Old 09-23-2000, 01:35 AM
BANNED

I'm well on my way.
I wish I could move back in with mom, get a job at a mom n' pop video store, and just kick back the rest of my life, not giving a shit about anything.

...siiiigh...

Oh well.

If we have SDMB voting again, I think I'll suggest a category called "Doper Who Bitches About Their Job the Most" so I can win something.
Old 09-23-2000, 03:52 AM

I told MisterTot to take TinyTot out today so that I could clean out the fridge. Ha! When he comes back, I shall probably have to tell him we had a whole building fire drill while he was gone, hence no clean fridge. I wonder when he will finally notice that we never have fire drills when he is home...

I have a love/hate relationship with my messiness/laziness problem. It gets embarrassing when my neat freak friends come over, and I've never been happy in a traditional job. OTOH, nobody ever has to remind me to stop and smell the roses. Prune them, yes, smell them, no.

Daniel, is there any possibility of you working for yourself? I find that I do a lot better without somebody breathing down my neck the whole time. Of course, I don't make shit and I have no benefits, but I figured that's why I married MisterTot.
Old 09-23-2000, 09:25 AM

I used to be like you, Daniel. Most people thought I'd never change, myself included.

Four kids later, and I'm a pretty driven individual. Except for housework. I still hate that. My goal is to one day hire a maid. It's amazing what changes you can make if you want to. It's been a lot of years of forcing myself to do things when I didn't feel like doing them. Now, it comes pretty naturally.
Old 09-23-2000, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Shabasson
how can I hold down a job if I have to be organized and think about dates and deadlines? I just don't think I was meant for a life of work.
If it weren't for the fact that I'll be an old man when the time comes, I can't wait to retire. I would have absolutely no problem with just hanging out, or daydreaming, or doing something artistic, or doing nothing!

Of course, the first time you're about to be booted out on your ass for not paying rent/mortgage will likely change your way of thinking. If you ever get canned from a job for not meeting deadlines or producing, I'll bet you change your tune. Unless you'd like a life of soup kitchens and sleeping over steam grates, you'll probably join the rat race like the rest of us hapless bastards.

I'm guessing you're relatively young, and everyone goes through this at some point at that age. If you're lucky, you'll find something that you really like to do, and be able to parlay that into income. More likely, you'll find something that you can deal with and make a living that way. Unfortunately, unless your family is rich and will support a freeloader, or you hit the lottery, you will eventually have to become responsible There is a fine line between salary amount vs. doing something you enjoy. I know lots of people who make the big bucks, but they are miserable. They have ulcers from high pressure jobs. They have no free time, and are virtually non-existant to their families. I opted for less money, but more free time. Enough income to pay the bills and put a little in the bank. But most important, the ability to enjoy my life while I am still young/alive/able to. I've been to recent funerals of people who worked their asses off all their lives, and now they're dead with no way to enjoy anything. I suspect you'll find your niche at some point.

Don't get me wrong - like I said, I love to kick back. I just realize that in order to keep a nice house that I can kick back in, I unfortunaely have to work. And likely, so do you. If you are young, and I mean maybe late teens or college age, I would suggest that you enjoy this time of your life as much as you can. Don't worry too much about the future, just accept the fact that you'll need to do something eventually. Once you hit your late twenties/early thirties, you'll look back on your current state of mind and laugh. I think back at the stupid shit I thought of at that age, and I laugh my ass off.

That, and what lolagranola sez, too!
Old 09-23-2000, 04:04 PM

Ugg...I'm with you on the lazy and disorganized thing. Only difference is that I absolutely hate it. One would think I'd do something about it then, but no. I just continue to unhappily live in the mess that is my life. I'm thinking maybe I just feel too overwhelmed to take anything on. So instead I just sit here and twiddle my life away seeing what people all around the globe are doing with their free time. I too feel like I wasn't meant for a life of work (but really, was anyone?), though I do want to do things and accomplish stuff. It's just not always something I can get paid for doing. And I really like to eat, so I must get paid.
Old 09-23-2000, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I too was once mistaken for a pile of dirty laundry, as I was wearing it at the time, but after having the crap scared out of me by a heart attack at the age of 39, I got heavily into exercise, and now I'm happier being active. I cook, I clean, I work full time, parent, and still work out a lot, and seem to have more free time than I did before, when I just sat there a lot. For me, the more I do, the more I want to do, but I admit the energy of activation for this process is pretty high.