Novels set in Germany, originally written in English, not about WWII or Cold War??

For some reason my friend needs to find at least three books matching the title description, but she can’t find any. I’m wracking my brain trying to come up with something, but I’m stumped too. Any?

Oh, and no WWI settings either – basically, no war, no horrors.

The Last of Mr. Norris and Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood, both set in Berlin between WWI and WWII.

The Book of Earth by Marjorie B. Kellogg is set in 10th-century Germany. The first book in a four-book series, it’s one of the best fantasy novels I’ve read. Might not be what you’re looking for.

A number of Cold War spy novels are set in Germany; for example, Frederick Forsyth’s The Odessa File, Henry Porter’s Brandenburg Gate, and John le Carre’s Absolute Friends.

Ah, finally I found a novel that doesn’t take place during the Cold War: City of Shadows, by Ariana Franklin (the pseudonym of a British historical fiction writer), set in 1922.

Wow, you guys are great! I was completely stumped on this one, but you guys came through. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

• Thomas Carlyle, Sartor Resartus.
• W.H. Harrison, Waldemar.
• Theodore S. Fay, Countess Ida: A Tale of Berlin.
• G.P.R. James, Heidelberg: A Romance.
• Elizabeth Rundle Charles, Chronicles of the Schönberg-Cotta Family (historical fiction about Martin Luther and the Reformation).
• Adelheid Shelton-Mackenzie, Aureola; or, The Black Sheep.
• Mrs. E. D. Wallace, Strife: A Romance of Germany and Italy.
• Emma Leslie, Margarethe: A Tale of the Sixteenth Century (more historical fiction about Martin Luther and the Reformation).
• Albert Morris Bagby, Miss Träumerei: A Weimar Idyl.
• Felicia Buttz Clark, Schwester Anna: A Tale of German Home Life.
• Felicia Buttz Clark, The Cripple of Nuremberg.
• Cyrus Townsend Brady, Hohenzollern: A Story of the Time of Frederick Barbarossa.
• William Stearns Davis, The Friar of Wittenberg (more Martin Luther).
• Trevor Scott, The Dawn of Midnight.
• Daisy Newman, Sperli the Clockmaker.
• Esther Meynell, Time’s Door (historical fiction about the Bach family of composers).

Parts of Frankenstein?

You’re going to have a problem finding novels that don’t mention the cold war between '45 and '89 as it fairly dominated the country.

The Boy Who Followed Ripley is the fourth book of Patricia Highsmith’s excellent ‘Ripliad’ :rolleyes: and much of it takes place in West Berlin in the late '70s.

Another John le Carré spy novel :- A Small Town in Germany (set in Bonn when it was still the federal capital)