Martin Short as Danny Kaye?

As far as I know, there’s no film based on Kaye’s life being planned, but after seeing him in *The Inspector General * a few days ago, I rememberd how much I miss his style of comedy and I think Short would be the comedian to cast to play Danny.

What do y’all think?

Q

Well, Danny Kaye was 5’11", so . . . Oh, wait, you meant . . .

Hmm. I don’t see even Martin Short as being quite as frenetically, face-pulling annoying as Danny Kaye. Now, Jim Carrey–he’s sufficiently annoying!

I think Martin Short would be a good choice (especially since he’s got the musical chops), height notwithstanding. Kaye lived an interesting and diverse life, but his film antics are pretty insufferable in long doses (YMMV). He definitely got more mileage when I was a kid since his humor was rarely what you would call sophisticated (which I guess also applies to Short–in his movies, anyway).

Short wouldn’t be bad as Kaye. Who do you see playing his lovebunny Lord Olivier?

I hate Martin Short, loved Danny Kaye, but when Short does an impersonation he is very clever to do it right. Not like Jim Carey for example who also loves to overact.

David Wenham should play Danny Kaye. Check him out in Van Helsing to see what I mean. He even sounds like him.

I read the title too fast and thought it said Martin SHEEN…

I had a few comments to make, but I’ll skip them now.

If you like Wenham see if you can find a copy of Getting Square a smallish Aussie movie in which he has a terrific comic turn as a junkie.