Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 PM

Foods that make you positively nauseous

For me, it's gotta be hard boiled eggs. I think they are the nastiness fucking substance you can find. My father loves them and makes a couple of cartons worth a week. The smell from cooking makes me sick.

Then today I watched him mash them up into tiny bits, and combine with horse radish and sour cream, and then put dijon mustard over the mess. Ugh. I almost lost my own lunch (Italian wedding soup) watching him eat it.

What's your's? (And could someone please explain the appeal of hard boiled eggs?)
Old 12-03-2006, 12:39 PM

Cantelope.Hate it,cant stand the sight or smell of it.Whenever the former SO and i got in a fight,she would go buy one to piss me off further.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 PM

Boiled cauliflower. Even the smell just makes me feel nauseous.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:46 PM

Cilantro. The stuff absolutely tastes like a chemical weapon and it's in EVERYTHING here in the southwest. Fast food places are even starting to use it, and it's pre-infused with the other ingredients so you can't ask them to leave it off. In regular restaurants it's in all the salsa so I can no longer enjoy chips and salsa while waiting for my meal. A few tiny flecks of fresh cilantro will dominate the taste of anything it is added to, to the point that biting into a burrito with cilantro in it is about as enjoyable as biting into a bar of soap.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco
Cilantro. The stuff absolutely tastes like a chemical weapon and it's in EVERYTHING here in the southwest. Fast food places are even starting to use it, and it's pre-infused with the other ingredients so you can't ask them to leave it off. In regular restaurants it's in all the salsa so I can no longer enjoy chips and salsa while waiting for my meal. A few tiny flecks of fresh cilantro will dominate the taste of anything it is added to, to the point that biting into a burrito with cilantro in it is about as enjoyable as biting into a bar of soap.
Jayjay is the same way too. Any amount of cilantro added to any food ruins it for him.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:12 PM

Rye bread. Just the smell of it nauseates me; biting into one of those little seeds in it can make me gag.

Also black licorice and Dijon mustard (not together).
Old 12-03-2006, 01:19 PM

McDonalds, Pizza hut, any food with a lot of fat.

Rye bread might be the main ingredient in my diet.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Liver. Beef liver, chicken liver, whatever liver. I don't like any of it. I've never eaten liver pate. I can't understand why anyone would want to eat liver and onions. My mother in law makes a chopped liver cracker spread whenever the family gathers around Hannukah and Passover. Twice a year I have to graciously decline to sample the chopped liver. Each time, I have to explain that I have a psychological aversion due to being forced to eat it when I was little. All the while, I have to work really hard to suppress my gag reflex.

Oddly enough, I like chorizo which is made with a bunch of organ meats, but it's so tasty in scrambled eggs I just can't help myself.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:56 PM

Bananas. Just the smell of them is enough to make me gag.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Anything with eggs as the primary ingredient. So gross.

Also, tuna fish. Holy fuck that stuff is rancid. I can barely be in the same room with it.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:05 PM

Brussels sprouts. I can't imagine anyone would voluntarily eat the things. Just the smell of them cooking makes me have to leave the room. Raw tomatoes - ick! What's not slimy is grainy and they taste nasty and they ruin a perfectly good sandwich.

BTW to the OP: One of my "favorite" grammar peeves is using "nauseous" when one means "nauseated." Nauseous means "causing nausea." Nauseated is the feeling of being sick to one's stomach. It's amazing how often people get that one wrong.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Cilantro. The stuff absolutely tastes like a chemical weapon <snip>
You're not alone:
http://www.ihatecilantro.com/stories.php

Seems there may be a genetic predisposition to finding cilantro unpalatable and it correlates to ones ability to taste the chemical phenylthiocarbamide.
Count me in that club: cilantro - blah!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Hmm... you know, I don't think I've ever been positively nauseous. It's always a very negative experience for me.

(Ducks and scampers for safety)
Old 12-03-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerditaX
BTW to the OP: One of my "favorite" grammar peeves is using "nauseous" when one means "nauseated." Nauseous means "causing nausea." Nauseated is the feeling of being sick to one's stomach. It's amazing how often people get that one wrong.
Guadere strikes again. Nauseated is the verb. Nauseas is the state of feeling nausea. The OP used it properly.

Ex: That food nauseated me and I was nauseas the rest of the day.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Peas from a can repulse me.

Mayonnaise and yoghurt also make me want to puke. I don't like milky, runny white substances. (Awaits really bad sex joke. )
Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Wow, you people are weird. I mean that in a good way.

I love eggs, cauliflower, rye bread, all those things that are good for you. The fast food junk I agree with wholeheartedly, skip that crap. But please eat eggs and rye. Yum. A grilled cheese on rye is heaven, trust me.

The only foods I absolutely will not eat are sardines and cooked carrots. Raw carrots are fine.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerditaX
I should've looked for a cite before I posted, because Merriam-Webster actually comments on your mistaken assertion. I've never seen them do that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-w.com
Main Entry: nau·seous
Pronunciation: 'no-sh&s, 'no-zE-&s
Function: adjective
1 : causing nausea or disgust : NAUSEATING
2 : affected with nausea or disgust
- nau·seous·ly adverb
- nau·seous·ness noun
usage Those who insist that nauseous can properly be used only in sense 1 and that in sense 2 it is an error for nauseated are mistaken.
Bolding mine.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Guadere strikes again. Nauseated is the verb. Nauseas is the state of feeling nausea. The OP used it properly.

I belive you mean nauseous. Nauseas is just the plural of nausea.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Heh, it never fails does it? Nauseous.

I can eat pretty much anything except fresh oysters. Oyster sauce and suchlike is fine, so I think it's just a texture thing.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. PoopiePants
You're not alone:
http://www.ihatecilantro.com/stories.php

Seems there may be a genetic predisposition to finding cilantro unpalatable and it correlates to ones ability to taste the chemical phenylthiocarbamide.
Count me in that club: cilantro - blah!
Awhile back I thought about buying one of their shirts and wearing it everytime I went out to eat. The problem is, a lot of people still don't know what it is, and waiters, waitresses, and fast food workers will confidently assure me that what I'm ordering does not have cilantro in it right before bringing me a dish full of cilantro.

It's a plague around here. It really is. It's finding its way into the oddest food. I ordered french fries at a mircro-brewery awhile back and they were sprinkled with what I thought was parsley. Nope. Cilantro.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:37 PM

I'm with cruel butterfly on the liver - blech.

What will positively send me running and gagging is the taste and texture of a fresh tomato. Oddly enough, I love any tomato based Italian sauce and can slurp it right up, but sliced, diced, or smashed fresh tomato ruins the entire dish for me.

perhaps it has something to do with my getting my butt torn to shreds multiple times at one meal for declining to eat room temp tomatoes sliced and salted, swimming in tomato juice. thanks mom - love you too.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan
Heh, it never fails does it? Nauseous.
It is powerful, this law.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 PM

Jello. Every so often I think, hey, maybe I've grown out of that, it'd be nice to have some Jello! I mean, it tastes like solid Kool-Aid, right? And I eat one bite and think, hey, Jello! And then I eat a second and my brain figures out what that texture is and I have to fight to swallow it and not throw up.

Oh, and bananas. Used to like them when I was a kid, but now I can't stand the texture.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby_Emma_Sasha
The only foods I absolutely will not eat are sardines and cooked carrots. Raw carrots are fine.
I've never eaten sardines, but they just don't look edible, so I'll probably live my entire life never having tasted them.

I haven't eaten a cooked carrot on purpose since I was 14 year old. If they're swimming around in the chicken noodle soup and they're tiny, I'll eat them. Otherwise, I won't let them near my mouth.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 PM

Mayonnaise - can't even think of it without gagging. I briefly had a boyfriend who put mayo on his eggs. Put me off eggs for a couple years.

Also cooked zucchini - nasty, slimy stuff. Probably a holdover from my childhood when my mom grew the stuff by the ton and it got involved in at least one meal a day for a few years.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Canned herring or sardines. Just the smell of them turns my stomach.

Canned peas are just plain gross. They also smell like dirty socks when you cook them. Give me fresh or frozen ANY day.

Brussels sprouts. Ew, ew, ew, ew!

I'm not getting the eggs thing. But, hey, different strokes for different folks. I love boiled eggs, and especially love them soft-boiled so I can chop them up on buttered toast. It's kind of a comfort thing when I'm feeling sick.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

As one who will eat virtually anything and enjoy a large subset of foods tried, the only one I can think of is artificial watermelon flavoring. Watermelon Jolly Ranchers or Bubble Yum make my skin crawl.

I've overcome a few sickness-inducing flavors. Brown liquor (whisk(e)y, Scotch, bourbon, etc) used to be intolerable. Fish sauce still smells pretty foul but tastes great. Dark meat from a chicken or turkey is now my favorite.

I bought and tried durian (the fruit, not the deadly typhoon) a few weeks ago. Not pleasant but not retch-inducing, either. I can almost see learning to enjoy this weird fruit.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia
Jello. Every so often I think, hey, maybe I've grown out of that, it'd be nice to have some Jello! I mean, it tastes like solid Kool-Aid, right? And I eat one bite and think, hey, Jello! And then I eat a second and my brain figures out what that texture is and I have to fight to swallow it and not throw up.
I'm like this with cole slaw except I crave the stuff intensely. It's been so bad before that I've gotten out of bed at night, got dressed, drove to the grocery store, asked an employee to get me a bucket of cole slaw from the deli (which is closed), then brought the stuff home and spit out the 2nd bite after forcing myself to choke down the first.

I have never liked cole slaw and I probably never will but I try it every couple months. It's weird.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I stand corrected. I must've been misinformed.

See, you really do learn something new every day!

And thank you for making sure I had my US RDA of
Old 12-03-2006, 03:48 PM

I'm almost scared to ask but what in hell's name is fish sauce?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:59 PM

Fermented fish extract - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce
Old 12-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwell Angel
Bananas here, too, but I like the smell of them. And I like banana-flavored stuff. I adore banana bread. I'll even eat banana chips. (I might even enjoy banana chips if they didn't have the texture of poker chips.) But I can't choke down a fresh banana. Something about chewing that gooshy fruit makes me gag.

I like everything in the first six posts except for the licorice. (But cilantro needs to be used in moderation.)
Old 12-03-2006, 04:20 PM

Raw prawns totally send me.

I like pretty well all sushi - even the more exotic stuff, but raw prawns make me gag just thinking about trying to eat one. blech.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:27 PM

Mango. Yecch.

I love cilantro, though.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:32 PM

How ‘bout them Aussies with their down under version of BP&J: Vegamite!

I‘d rather slather what comes out of my cat, Tibby’s litter box on toast than that godawful slime!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:37 PM
BANNED

Virginia cured ham. Rancid fat. My in-laws loved it.
And red-eye gravy. Like a bowl of salt.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:20 PM

Wow, so much hate for the cilantro. It warms the heart. I can't stay in the kitchen if someone's cutting it, let alone eat it in my food. Saying it tastes like soap is too kind, IMO. Cilantro smells and tastes diseased to me. It tastes toxic. Why the first person who ever bit into it decided to classify it as edible is beyond me.

I can't stand cumin, either, but it doesn't make me want to die and I can choke it down if I have to (I used to live with friends who loved the stuff). Cilantro -- no way, no how.

Bananas, especially if they're mashed, are nausea-inducing. As are runny eggs. GAH.

Guinastasia, I feel you on the hard boiled egg thing. A couple times a year, I'll have an inexplicable craving for one of them, and then the experience puts me right off the taste or scent of eggs for a few months.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
BANNED

Spam will get me to airmail every time I smell it. Tomatos are a combination of fruit and animal. Cut them in half and you see intestines ,veins and organs. They should be illegal.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Raw tomatoes. Or chunks of stewed tomatoes.

I love things like spaghetti and salsa, but not with chunks. "Chunky" salsa? Forget it. I like the local Mexican restaurant that has a nice thin very hot salsa.

Once my dad convinced me to try a bite of a fresh tomato. Straight from his garden ("not one of those insipid store tomatoes, son; it's not the same--you'll like this one!").

I threw up. The only food that will make me retch.

I do love every seafood I've ever had, and I've had some really weird stuff (my wife is Korean). Except oysters. Can't eat those, even deep fried.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallows fodder
Wow, so much hate for the cilantro. It warms the heart. I can't stay in the kitchen if someone's cutting it, let alone eat it in my food. Saying it tastes like soap is too kind, IMO. Cilantro smells and tastes diseased to me. It tastes toxic.
You folks do realize there's a whole entire thread devoted exclusively to cilantro already?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=398491

Me, I don't like organ meats. They have a narsty little kinda bitter-ick quality to them.
And then there's the whole category of 'icky slimy fishy things' - which is mostly seafood. I can bear some fish as long as it's not fishy tasting but seafood is A) gross looking and B) gross. I remember going to an 'authentic' Chinese New Year meal which featured things like sea cucumber and some ghastly oval grey rubbery thing on a bed of what looked like slimy green thin seaweed. No way I was going to taste it, especially when the confirmed seafood lovers proclaimed it unpalatable.

Then there's food that doesn't like me. Iceberg lettuce and cucumbers will make me ill (but I happily eat all other lettuces). Basil and bergamot make me belch. And if I eat allspice, the flavour stays with me for DAYS. Ew.

As for hard boiled eggs, they're yummy. They are one of the foods (many of the foods mentioned in this thread belong in the group) that smell bad but taste good. The hands-down winner of that category is honey which smells like bee vomit (I guess) but tastes nothing like its smell.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Suspended

Caviare!

How this stuff got popular is beyond me-it is disgusting! Simultaneously slimey, fishy, sour and just gawd-awful! The rich can delude themslves (I hear the "good" stuff goes for >$50/oz!). Garrghh! it's like eating snot!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster
I love things like spaghetti and salsa, but not with chunks. "Chunky" salsa? Forget it. I like the local Mexican restaurant that has a nice thin very hot salsa.
I'm with you on this, but for me it's the chunks of onion. Onions, in just about any form except very little itty bitty pieces, make me nauseous. A question I should probably put out to Cecil: Why can't they sell jarred, commercial versions of the hot, thin salsas that local Mexican restaurants make? All the ones in the grocery store advertise themselves as "chunky" like it's a good thing. Blechh.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:52 PM

RAW TOMATOES. They are evil.

Clotted cow blood soup also makes me want to hurl, but thankfully it's not a food one runs into every day.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Licorice
Liver
Raw Celery
Blueberries
Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Corn

Risotto with cheese
Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwell Angel
That's funny. A young woman I used to work with had the same reaction to bananas? You didn't live in Bloomington before, did you?

I'm another person that hates liver in any form. I think it gives off some sort of strange metallic smell whenever it's fried. The taste and texture are enough to make me want to vomit.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallows fodder

Guinastasia, I feel you on the hard boiled egg thing. A couple times a year, I'll have an inexplicable craving for one of them, and then the experience puts me right off the taste or scent of eggs for a few months.
I tried one ONCE-my cousin was eating one, so I tasted a small piece. Ick! It was completely tasteless and the texture was just so fucking gross.

Now, it's not eggs in general that I don't like-I absolutely LOVE scrambled eggs and omelets. Yummy! Fried eggs-not too keen on them, but I've had them in a breakfast sandwhich type thing once or twice and I was able to eat it.

But hardboiled? *shudder* Like I said, my father absolutely adores them and when he makes them they stink up the entire kitchen. I can't even watch him eat them, or I'll end up gagging.

Strangely enough, as a child I felt the same way about mustard-the vinegar-y smell disgusted me. Until my dad actually dared me to taste it and I found it was heaven. Now I adore mustard-especially honey mustard.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:00 PM

Cottage cheese
Cooked peas
Cottage cheese
Liver/giblets
Cottage cheese
Yams
Cottage cheese
Sweet potatoes
Cottage cheese
Buttermilk
Cottage cheese
Old 12-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Cooked carrots. Puuuuuuuke!

And just the smell of papaya; it reminds me of vomit.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
BANNED

Eggs in any form. Since I was two.