Applebee's, you have disappointed me.

I was going to pit Applebee’s – or at least the one I went to – but it’s not worth it. Just — annoying.

Four of us went to Applebee’s this evening after a choral concert that one of us sang in (didn’t enjoy the concert all that much either, but that’s a separate issue). I knew it would not be high class cuisine, but servicable, and something all 4 of us, with different dietary issues, could find something at.

We get a table, order our beverages and meal, and in reasonable time the food arrives. “Can I get you anything else?” the waitress asks. “Umm… some forks, and napkins would be nice.” She looks at our meals. Two of us had wrap sandwiches, one just got sweet potato fries, and the fourth got a salad. “Do you *all * want forks, or just him?” indicating the would-be salad eater. Yes, we all do. We sit and look at our food for a while, but finally decide those with the wraps should just go ahead. My friend’s wrap basically falls apart in her hands. And of course, she has no napkin.

After while the cutlery and napkins arrive. My friend points out that this wrap just isn’t made right. And her side dish has about 3 fries in it, a very skimpy portion. The waitress takes away the badly-prepared dish. Later – much later – returns with a new wrap, and says the manager is having a brand-new set of fries prepared for her. And she promises a drinks refill.

So, all is going o.k., mostly, except the Asian chicken wrap sandwich seems to be missing most of the ingredients, and is basically a 99-cent Wendy’s crispy chicken sandwich in a wrap except not as much chicken. No soy sauce, no crunchy noodles, no almond slivers. Even worse, I start in on the second half of my wrap, and reflect that it seems to have an awful lot of lettuce in it. I set it down, unwrap it and, sure enough, that’s all there is. Lettuce. And a few shreds of carrot. By this time, no, I don’t want to wait another 10 minutes for another item, so my skimpy wrap was just taken off the bill, and the manager apologized, but we never did get our drink refills.

We discussed amongst ourselves the tip. I would have left 10%. We settle on 15%, based on the amount before the deduction of my meal since, one of us pointed out, that wasn’t the waitress’s fault that the kitchen screwed up. Yeah, but it *was * her fault that we had no utensils. And that she never brought our refills.

Thank you for listening. That is all. I have to go make myself a peanut butter sandwich now, because after having had basically a few chicken chunks and a piece of bread for supper, I’m hungry again.

Applebees sucks. I hate it. The last time I went there, I ordered a new sandwich they had, but asked for them to leave off something (don’t remember exactly what, but something like tomatoes or sauce that isn’t odd to ask to leave off) and they said they couldn’t because the sandwiches were pre-made. So I was gonna pay $7 for a probably once-frozen sandwich from a bag? No. Their food is just blah. Every time I found something I liked there (french dip, bbq brisket) they’d take it off the menu quickly. I don’t go there unless someone drags me.

Last time I went to Applebee’s my husband found a delicious green worm in his lettuce. Management offered us free dessert. We of course declined. My local Chili’s OTOH is awesome.

I have avoided Applebees at all costs since I graduated high school. Outside of their half priced appetizers, I find the cuisine there to be sub par even for your standard American grill. On occasion my friends and I have been known to hit up the Applebees by the RAC for booze but that’s usually during happy hour and that almost never happens.

If you don’t have high expectations, IMHO there are good things on the menu; I’ve even gotten the exact same thing I ordered tonight, at the exact same restaurant, and found it to be O.K. Tonight, though, no such luck.

It’s difficult to find something acceptable with our combined dietary restrictions. I will not set foot in a Mexican restaurant, even a good one. One of our party is a vegetarian with celiac disease, so her choices are extremely limited and we try to be accomodating. Another of the group is in difficult financial straites, so anything remotely costly is right out. There are no diners within the area we were willing to travel.

Well, you are in New Jersey, so the chances of finding a good Mexican restaurant are probably slim. :slight_smile:

Why the hate for Mexican? Is it diet related? Or do you just not like the food?

I just hate the food. Personal taste. Almost all of it has peppers in it, which disagree with me violently. I’ve been in Mexican restaurants that others said were decent, and could not even find anything on the menu that was remotely appealing, so rather than go to one and bitch about it, I just don’t go. If everybody else I was with absolutely insisted, I would probably go and just have some sort of beverage and dessert.

And BTW, in NJ you can probably find a good restaurant of almost any persuasion and if you can’t, you can just go across the river into NYC.

Damn. The last time I stopped into Applebee’s with a few of my crow buddies, they were out of worms. Jeez.

Fair enough.

My comment wasn’t intended as a slur on New Jersey.

It’s just that my wife is from San Francisco, and i occasionally visit friends in Austin, and i have not yet been able to find Mexican food on the east coast to compare with that in California and Texas.

And that includes New York City. If anyone can direct me to a really good taqueria or similar in New York, i’ll happily give it a go when i’m there in December.

I’m a total Mexican food snob (many years in Southern California), and there’s a place in West Chester PA that’s pretty damn good.

I was going to say that I suspect they pre-make a number of sandwiches in the morning before they open up (or the night before) and pack them away in the cooler. However, this wouldn’t explain the claim that they couldn’t make you a custom version, so I’m at a loss there.

Psst – mhendo – rather than continue the hijack, I started a thread over here.

Not to hijack this one even further, but there’s a pretty good (IMO, of course) Mexican restaurant in Parkville, just outside the Beltway. Email me for directions.

In the hierarchy of American mega-chain restaurants, Applebee’s lies near the bottom of the list. Their food isn’t very good and their commercials give me uncontrollable urges to break things. Only the Olive Garden has more annoying ads.

Olive Garden ads are annoying. But what’s really annoying is that it’s not like Olive Garden has bad food – it’s actually fairly good. But just stop pretending it’s authentic Italian cuisine that real Italian people from Italy make in their little Italian kitchens!

Conan O’Brien had a great bit about this. “Why don’t they just be honest in their ads? It’s not like their product is bad so they have to lie. Just say: Olive Garden: Pretty good for the money!

We call it Crapplebee’s. I thought everyone did.

Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know 'cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy motherfucker. -Jules :slight_smile:

I’ve been to Applebee’s once in the last 20 years, when my mom who lives in the boonies wanted to go there. Hopefully, it’ll be at least another 20 years before I have to go back.

Wow, my girlfriend hates Applebees with a passion, but I didn’t know she wasn’t alone. I don’t especially care for it, mind you, but it’s all the same to me. Chili’s, Applebees, TGIF, Bennigans, etc. It’s basically normal food slathered with cheese, bacon, and various sauces named for different kinds of booze. None of it is really that good, and all of them sell punchbowl sized margarita things so that middle aged women can come after work and get tanked. I didn’t know that Applebees was somehow worse than the other “Mall Outbuilding Resturants of America”

Applebee’s is the one place I have ever seen my husband fail to finish his food because it was just too nasty, and he will eat damn near anything. I’ve only been a few times, but I’ve never had anything good there and quite a few inedible items.

I’m not any kind of food snob, by the way. We eat at Chili’s all the time and it’s fine. But Applebee’s is just VILE.

I have generally found the food edible but the wait times unreal.