Top Chef - 12/6

This eppy’s challenge could just as easily be called…

Get Lucky

While I understand the concept of having the Chefs adapt to an unknown, adapting with the limited resources of what you just happened to pick out - very iffy. It’s obvious some of their selections ended up being better suited for beach preparation than others. I think it would have been more fair to let them know they would be cooking over fire and let them plan and make their selections accordingly.

You knew when the bottom three were selected who would be packing their knives. No way they were going to let either of the other two top contenders go this early.

So, Frank’s egg is cooked. Who’s next? I can’t imagine Michael holding on much longer. Which brings up an entirely different topic.

In a competition like this, would you have shared your egg resources with Michael? If he hadn’t been the recipient of the other’s generosity, he most likely would have been tossed. Or do you share your eggs with him in hopes that he can pull a dish together to knock another more serious contender out?

I’m sure this is just the way it was edited, but Frank’s trashing of Michael at the beginning, and then he himself getting tossed was kind of a comeuppance. And no way Marcel should have won. Or gotten immunity, for that matter. No way. And for that matter, the other one – Sam?? – should have gotten the boot. Wasn’t his the dish that looked mostly burnt and inedible?

I am so glad that blowhard Frank is out. Ever since he did the drug-trip mushroom dish in the TGI Friday’s challenge, I thought he was a hack. And after he was mean to poor little Marcel Thanksgiving ep- good riddance.

I'm really starting to dislike Sam- he looks like he needs a shower and a shave and a haircut, and he's been Whiney McWhinerson the two times he's been at the loser's table.   He was bitching about Elia using frozen waffles, but it made perfect sense for the chefs to get some pre-made stuff when they weren't sure what resources or equipment they were going to have in the elimination challenge. 

I started out disliking Marcel, but now I want to hug him.  He was so cute doing his little elimination dance.   I heard that Stephen from Season 1 is going to be on an upcoming episode, I can't wait to see how he and Marcel get along. 

And Betty giving Mike some of her eggs is interfering with my Betty hate, dammit.

I really dislike Top Chef this season. Cooking eggs on the beach was really stupid.
What’s Top Chef about it? They cook for kids on a beach, diabetic kids, stuff from cans, etc.
That’s Top Chef? That’s more like Mom’s in a hurry and whip something up. More like short order cooks.

Every challenge is too gimmicky. When are they going to do some real cooking with quality ingredients like last season?

I really dislike Betty a lot. Betty and her big teeth can’t go soon enough for me.

I kind of like Marcel too. I don’t get why the others don’t like him. I don’t think he’s snooty, I think he’s just really into avant-garde cooking – not in a snobbish way, so much as a geeky way. I think he finds it fun and exciting to do weird things with food. I can sort of get it in a way, even though I might not always want to eat the results.

Marcel didn’t invent the idea of a “watermelon steak,” by the way. I googled it and found that there are restaraunts that do it. Apparantly grilling or searing the melon slices gives them a meat-like texture or something.

I think Michael has a kind of goofy charm as well. Watching him is like watching somebody teeter and flail around on a tightrope but somehow never fallling off. A lot of his dishes have actually looked pretty tasty. He’s not exactly innovative but he makes stuff I would eat. It looks like those surfers dug his breakfast tacos. I guess I would have given him eggs. I have a feeling he would probably be happy to hand over ingredients if anyone else was in the same boat. He’s so awkward and stonerish it’s hilarious. He’s like a Chris Farley character.

As bad as Sam’s eggs were, I knew Frank had been getting too much of a loser’s edit to beat him out (and beating Cliff was out of the question).

I think this was the first time Cliff has been dinged at all and it was for a pretty minor reason. His presentation wasn’t great but all the judges said it tasted good and was cooked correctly. I think Collichio just lives to find stuff like a grain of sand in the food. I never thought Cliff was in any trouble. He’s been too strong before this episode and even in this challenge, his dish had less wrong with it than the other two. I still have him pegged for the final two.

I think Elia is starting to sneak up and may be a dark horse as well. That waffle McGriddle thing did not look appetizing to me (waffle, refried beans, ham, cheese, eggs and syrup?) but the judges all said they were surprised how good it tasted, so it must have been better than it sounds.

I haven’t liked Betty at all but she made me hate her just a little bit less when she was the first to offer Michael some eggs. I wonder if she would have done it for Marcel, though.

As soon as Mrs. Rushdie gave her spiel about the challenge, I knew they were going to be cooking at the beach for surfers. Can’t have a show in LA without featuring surfers.

Why did Elia win when Maya’s dish was the top scoring among the surfers? What was the point of having the surfers vote if the opinion of the judges were all that mattered? Personally, I’d eat Maya’s crab cakes over whatever that was that Elia made.

Does anyone else think thatIlan looks like Ted Allen’s evil twin?

I thought Mia should have won this challenge. Her food looked delicious. The surfers apparently gulped it down.

Frank deserved to go just for not improvising. When I saw what they had to cook with I immediately thought make an omelette. I don’t see why he stuck to the quiche idea.

I think she would have hesitated less if it had been Marcel because I believe it was a calculated “I’ll prove I’m a good person” move and had nothing to do with the recipient. She knows she’ll be in the bottom 3 again with the judges asking the others who should pack their knives and go home. If Michael’s the one getting asked he might now hesitate to throw Betty “under the bus”.

I wonder where they’re going with the editing that so heavily emphasizes women vs. men. Is the culinary world as male dominated as it was 20 or 10 years ago?

Given that it looks like Ted Allen will be a judge on next week’s show, maybe they’ll play up this point.