Underwater flares

In the movie The Abyss, Bud ignites a flare underwater after his lamps implode from pressure. Underwater flares have apparently been used in other movies and one was developed especially for the 2000 Olympics. However, I’ve been unable to locate any accounts of real-life divers using flares for illumination, or any suppliers of flares for underwater use.

Does anyone actually manufacture underwater flares for divers? If not, where does Hollywood get them, or have they discovered a particular brand of fusee that works underwater?

Accordimng to Wikipedia, Calcium flares are used underwater:

I thought in The Abyss they used those chemical glowing chemicals after the lights imploded, not flares. Thats why he had trouble telling the color of the wires. They looked much like the ones my daughter gets for Halloween.

I understand that all regular flares cannot be put out with water. Not sure if that goes as far as starting and keeping one underwater, though.

They did use the chemical sticks - that was part of the plot when he was trying to disarm the bomb, but I seem to remember a flare…when he was descending to the abyss after stepping off the edge of the cliff?

Yes - there were shots of him descending with flares falling alongside him.

World’s first underwater Olympic Torch

In the olden days:

I’m not finding anyone who sells them today.

according to the dive master, phosphorus / magnesium flares can be used underwater.
we hang chemical light sticks on our tanks for visual cues and use divelights for night dives.

somehow the idea of juggling a live flare in dark underwater conditions makes me a tad nervous. unless you’re in a tight spot for some reason and they’re the only light available why bother with one when you have other, safer resources?

The questioner in the first link I posted seemed to think they might have some photographic applications when cave diving.

I was just asking out of idle curiosity!