The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Frylock Frylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Using Windex in the Microwave

My wife and her mother believe that if I clean out the inside of my microwave using windex, then I will thereby poison the next person to cook anything in there.

I don't think so.

But am I wrong?

-FrL-
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Q.E.D. Q.E.D. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 22,536
Nah. The stuff in Windex (water and ammonia, mainly) is volatile and is gone as soon as it dries. However, if the window in the door is made of plastic, the Windex may eventually cause it to become cloudy, due to the action of the ammonia. Better to use a mild detergent solution to clean the inside of the oven.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.