Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Cat Whisperer's Avatar
Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,117

Why no hate speech allowed here?


This is not a complaint, but a discussion of board policy. I am a sometimes member of another board, and they just had a poster post a hate-filled, bigoted post which is being allowed to stand unchallenged, the poster unwarned. We have a rule here against posting hate speech, and I'm just curious as to why.

The United States government, as far as I can tell in a rudimentary Google search, is having a hell of a time figuring out what to do about hate speech, so how does the Straight Dope deal with this extremely slippery subject? How do you decide what is actually hate speech, and what is simply an unpleasant opinion? Do you use that oh-so-useful rule, "I know it when I see it?"
__________________
"Your guilty consciences may make you vote Democratic, but secretly you all yearn for a Republican president to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king!"
- S. Bob
  #2  
Old 12-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Zoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Liberal South
Posts: 14,266
In my opinion, it appears that hate speech against some groups of people is permitted or ignored.
  #3  
Old 12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51,369
Depends on who you're hating. If you hate Republicans, you're golden around here. Post the most hate-filled screed you can write. It'll stay up and get enthusiastic support from The Usual Suspects.
  #4  
Old 12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Contrapuntal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the lion's paw
Posts: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
Do you use that oh-so-useful rule, "I know it when I see it?"
Pretty much. Moderators have posted a list of verboten words, all the while asserting that no such list exists. It has been stated that some phrases cannot be hate speech, regardless of the intent of the speaker, while others must necessarily be hate speech, again regardless of the intent of the speaker.
  #5  
Old 12-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Baron Greenback's Avatar
Baron Greenback is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 11,788
From what I've seen in my time here, isn't it OK to be hateful towards people with certain opinions, but not OK to be hateful to people because of who they are? Does that make any sense to anyone?
  #6  
Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Derleth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 21,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan
From what I've seen in my time here, isn't it OK to be hateful towards people with certain opinions, but not OK to be hateful to people because of who they are? Does that make any sense to anyone?
But we all know being Republican isn't a lifestyle choice.
__________________
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
If you don't stop to analyze the snot spray, you are missing that which is best in life. - Miller
I'm not sure why this is, but I actually find this idea grosser than cannibalism. - Excalibre, after reading one of my surefire million-seller business plans.
  #7  
Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan
From what I've seen in my time here, isn't it OK to be hateful towards people with certain opinions, but not OK to be hateful to people because of who they are? Does that make any sense to anyone?
Of course it does. You choose your opinions, you don't choose your race/ethnicity/etc.
  #8  
Old 12-31-2006, 05:34 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
Depends on who you're hating. If you hate Republicans, you're golden around here. Post the most hate-filled screed you can write. It'll stay up and get enthusiastic support from The Usual Suspects.
I was going to point out that that is silly because hate-filled screeds against democrats are permitted, and challenged by The Usual Suspects.

But then I realized that your item here is even more silly by ignoring that that is not the hate speech the OP is referring to, and, what Struan said.
  #9  
Old 12-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Cat Whisperer's Avatar
Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,117
Interesting (if somewhat unhelpful) discussion. So, by those standards, Contrapuntal, if I said that the hate speech to which I was referring in my OP was directed agaisnt Muslims, and I have thought about changing the word "Muslim" to the word "Nigger" in the bigoted post to drive home the point that not all speech should be freely allowed, would I then be guilty of hate speech for using the word "Nigger," although I obviously haven't used it as an epithet here (assuming that's one of the words that are always hate-speech)?

Good post, Struan, but does religion count as an opinion or something that you don't choose, like race?
  #10  
Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,182
The rule in question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe
No hate speech

If you say hateful, racist things, you may get warned or banned. Some racial slurs are likely to be viewed as hate speech when used as insults, some aren't. No, we aren't going to give you a list. Our goal is not to restrict any and all speech which could be viewed by someone as offensive, but simply keep a modicum of decency, even here.
What exactly "hate speech" is, is not defined and is kept vague (probably deliberately), but it sounds like racist remarks either are, or are the best example of, what the rule has in mind.

I can't think of any situation in which an expression of hatred or contempt for a particular race or ethnic group would be a good, or even a neutral, thing for the Board, so I don't have a problem with the rule as thus interpreted.
  #11  
Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Liberal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Gone
Posts: 39,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
Good post, Struan, but does religion count as an opinion or something that you don't choose, like race?
Depends on whom you ask. As for me, I could no more deny my faith than I could deny my experience. It's like asking someone who has been to France to deny that they've ever been to France. I didn't choose my conversion. I didn't even want or seek my conversion. It just happened is all. (If a person without faith disagrees, then I would ask you whether you think you could flip a switch right now and turn on genuine faith. If not, then please understand that I can't switch it off either.)
  #12  
Old 12-31-2006, 06:40 PM
Beware of Doug is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Own Private Iowa
Posts: 15,384
I see a fair amount of poo heaped upon rednecks and, despite their vaunted pride, not much said about it.
  #13  
Old 12-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Walter Windchill is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mashville
Posts: 1,290
I thought the rule was "don't be a jerk," but that's just as subjective and randomly enforced as a rule against hate speech. :shrugs:
  #14  
Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Baron Greenback's Avatar
Baron Greenback is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 11,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
Good post, Struan, but does religion count as an opinion or something that you don't choose, like race?
That's a question I've asked myself many times featherlou, and I don't honestly know. I suspect there is an element of indoctrination, but I can't say for sure because I don't have terribly much experience with hardcore religious people. From what I've read the situation here doesn't compare at all to that in some other countries, particularly the US. In my own family, I'm pretty much hard atheist, my Dad has been an Elder of the Church of Scotland for as long as I can remember (but he's more or less an agnostic), and my Mum goes to Church at Christmas because she likes the singing. The most "religious" people I know are Irish-descended Catholics, who went to a Catholic school, and still go to Mass occasionally, and still confess their myriad sins. Their "faith" strikes me as a relic of once being forced into a slightly alien culture, and the most honest expression of it they have now (the ones I know anyway) is supporting a certain football club.

I'm not sure what I mean here frankly. Religion as cultural artifact, or freely chosen?
  #15  
Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Giraffe's Avatar
Giraffe is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ♂ San Jose, CA
Posts: 10,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
How do you decide what is actually hate speech, and what is simply an unpleasant opinion? Do you use that oh-so-useful rule, "I know it when I see it?"
Pretty much. The problem with trying to precisely define hate speech is that it's hard not to end up being overly restrictive on speech that is merely offensive or controversial, which we very much don't want to do. Honestly, I have a hard time imagining cases where we'd apply the rule without also applying the "no trolling" rule, so one could argue that the two are somewhat redundant. That said, it is useful to have specific guidelines in place to let new posters know that the Pit isn't a complete free-for-all. Like the rule against not wishing death on other posters, the goal of the current hate speech rule is to allow for heated exchanges and insults while still maintaining some basic standard of decency.

I think it's important to note that the hate speech rule is rarely if ever used. Since I've been a mod, we've had quite a few reported posts suggesting that a range of terms be considered hate speech, but in all cases it was decided that the rule did not apply.
  #16  
Old 12-31-2006, 07:17 PM
athelas is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In Transit
Posts: 3,351
Is "I hate all New Jerseyans" hate speech? That's certainly not a choice, especially if interpreted to mean all those born in the state.
  #17  
Old 12-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Ensign Edison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,751
To me, 'hate speech' should mean advocating harm against any category of people. You can say whatever nasty ignorant shit you want, but when you start so much as hinting at violent or otherwise unsavory motivations, you're either a troll or a toad we don't need.
  #18  
Old 12-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Argent Towers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Edison
To me, 'hate speech' should mean advocating harm against any category of people. You can say whatever nasty ignorant shit you want, but when you start so much as hinting at violent or otherwise unsavory motivations, you're either a troll or a toad we don't need.
What do you have against toads?
  #19  
Old 12-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Ensign Edison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
What do you have against toads?
You're right. Toads are fine creatures. I retract my baseless slander against them. How about 'nazi scum'?
  #20  
Old 12-31-2006, 08:07 PM
E-Sabbath is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Up The River
Posts: 13,944
Admiral Canaris was a brave man.

Just in defense of rednecks and this board, we've had long discussions on if White Trash was a racial slur or not. I think we came to a decision it probably was.
  #21  
Old 12-31-2006, 08:31 PM
rayh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Wales
Posts: 1,977
Why no hate speech allowed here?

Because God doesn't like it.
  #22  
Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Hogwash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 433
Because I deem hate speech to be outside of science. I don't need any evidence, because evidence is a facet of science and does not apply. Therefore, hate speech is not allowed because I say so. You do not know what I have experienced, therefore you can not explain why hate speech is not allowed. God said that hate speech is forbidden. You can not disprove this, because God is in a special protective zone that removes all scrutiny. He is on another plane of existence, baby, and that is all there is to it.
  #23  
Old 12-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Heffalump and Roo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
<snip>
they just had a poster post a hate-filled, bigoted post which is being allowed to stand unchallenged, the poster unwarned.

<snip>

How do you decide what is actually hate speech, and what is simply an unpleasant opinion? Do you use that oh-so-useful rule, "I know it when I see it?"
Are you considering the post you're referring to on another message board as hate speech? Since you characterized it as hate-filled, I can only guess that you are. How did you come to that conclusion?

What is your definition of hate speech? (not a challenge, just a question)
  #24  
Old 01-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,084
I'm not eager to see it because it's lazy. Gotten tired of the extended discussion on Middle East politics? Just call 'em a bunch of sand niggers and chortle at your cleverness. If that passes without repercussions, this board sinks immediately because the natural response to such a slur is to find something, anything, about the writer and slur him right back, all efforts at reasoned debate abandoned.
  #25  
Old 01-01-2007, 02:21 AM
lissener is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 17,197
The distinction seems clear to me: Hate speech addresses what people are; non-hate speech addresses what people do.
  #26  
Old 01-01-2007, 03:14 AM
chowder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers
I'm not eager to see it because it's lazy. Gotten tired of the extended discussion on Middle East politics? Just call 'em a bunch of sand niggers and chortle at your cleverness. If that passes without repercussions, this board sinks immediately because the natural response to such a slur is to find something, anything, about the writer and slur him right back, all efforts at reasoned debate abandoned.
Agreed, summed it up very nicely
  #27  
Old 01-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Cat Whisperer's Avatar
Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo
Are you considering the post you're referring to on another message board as hate speech? Since you characterized it as hate-filled, I can only guess that you are. How did you come to that conclusion?

What is your definition of hate speech? (not a challenge, just a question)
That's an excellent question. The post I'm referring to seemed like hate speech to me because the poster was talking about how much he hates Muslims, calling them degrading names, and saying some of the things he likes to do to show his hatred of them (actually, he was somewhat hedging as he said all of these things as something he was making a resolution to not do next year - it seemed like a very thin smokescreen for posting his hatred, though).

My own definition of hate speech - something said with intent to hurt, based on somebody's race, religion, or other identifiable characteristic. If it was said to me as a member of the attacked group, it would hurt me; if it was said to someone I know as a member of that group, it would hurt them and me. How's that?

(Have I mentioned lately what a haven this board is, in the frightening wilds of the internet?)
  #28  
Old 01-01-2007, 03:32 AM
Cat Whisperer's Avatar
Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe
<snip>the goal of the current hate speech rule is to allow for heated exchanges and insults while still maintaining some basic standard of decency.
<snip>
I think that's a very good point to make. My problem with the other message board is that the response to what my gut is telling me is hate speech is for me to ignore that poster. That doesn't seem like an answer to me at all. I firmly believe that all the contributors to a public message board set the tone, and a contributor like that is making a very poisonous contribution. It is nice and high-minded to want everyone to be free to express themselves as they wish, but some people will express themselves by painting their feces on the walls.
  #29  
Old 01-01-2007, 07:36 AM
C K Dexter Haven is offline
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago north suburb
Posts: 16,078
I'd like to add that we deliberately do NOT want to define terms, such as "hate-speech" or "jerk." We're not a government authority, trying to define a legal code. We have neither time nor staff nor inclination to draft up what would probably be a 500-page document trying to define "hate-speech."

We tend to think of "hate-speech" in relation to protected groups under US law -- that is, based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, gender, and age. These are basically things that one doesn't have a choice about, one is born to (religion is probably an exception since there is some element of choice, but there you go.) And hate-speech is different from mere stereotyping (assigning some attributes to a whole group).

We think of ourselves as being hosts at a private party or club. We don't want to have to define good/bad behavior, we know it when we see it, and summon the bouncers.
  #30  
Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Contrapuntal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the lion's paw
Posts: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink
The rule in question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe
No hate speech

If you say hateful, racist things, you may get warned or banned. Some racial slurs are likely to be viewed as hate speech when used as insults, some aren't. No, we aren't going to give you a list. Our goal is not to restrict any and all speech which could be viewed by someone as offensive, but simply keep a modicum of decency, even here.What exactly "hate speech" is, is not defined and is kept vague (probably deliberately), but it sounds like racist remarks either are, or are the best example of, what the rule has in mind.
I can't think of any situation in which an expression of hatred or contempt for a particular race or ethnic group would be a good, or even a neutral, thing for the Board, so I don't have a problem with the rule as thus interpreted.
This sure looks like a list to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVeblen
We aren't about to create a list of forbidden words. Look, different people are offended by different things but we aren't going to play mommy here. Context and intent matter. Terms like "nigger", "raghead", "spic", "kike", etc. are plainly and simply intended as suckerpunches to the gut, nothing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener
The distinction seems clear to me: Hate speech addresses what people are; non-hate speech addresses what people do.
Then "white trash" is hate speech. Except that it isn't.
  #31  
Old 01-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Lust4Life is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: perfidious albion
Posts: 6,422
Anywhere in the world ,using any medium you can use hate speech at will without any sanctions...........................as long as it is directed at white ,middle class males.

Then its freedom of speech.
  #32  
Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Dr. Rieux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
Anywhere in the world ,using any medium you can use hate speech at will without any sanctions...........................as long as it is directed at white ,middle class males.

Then its freedom of speech.
Wow, your reasoning is even weaker than your punctuation.
  #33  
Old 01-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Hamadryad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Thrillsville
Posts: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
Good post, Struan, but does religion count as an opinion or something that you don't choose, like race?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan
That's a question I've asked myself many times featherlou, and I don't honestly know. I suspect there is an element of indoctrination, but I can't say for sure because I don't have terribly much experience with hardcore religious people.
<snipped for length>

I'm not sure what I mean here frankly. Religion as cultural artifact, or freely chosen?
No child is BORN Christian or Jewish or Muslim or Hindu or Taoist or Buddhist or Zoroastrian or Amish or..... They are born into families of those religions, but they are not automatically those religions. Religion is a process of indoctrination and reinforcement, whether physical, mental, emotional or spiritual.

A person raised in the loving arms of the KKK is not a white supremacist, but was raised by them. This person can become a Constitution-thumpin', cat-lovin',
beer-hatin' member of the Left-Wing Elitist Intelligecinistas.

A person born in Kenya to Muslim parents but adopted shortly after birth by a Catholic missionary is very, very unlikely to be Muslim ... even though that's "how" he or she was born.

Religion is, in the final analysis, as an ADULT, a choice. It may seem like it's an EASY choice or a nearly IMPOSSIBLE choice, but it's still a choice.
  #34  
Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Cat Whisperer's Avatar
Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
Anywhere in the world ,using any medium you can use hate speech at will without any sanctions...........................as long as it is directed at white ,middle class males.

Then its freedom of speech.
What I'm discovering is that people who wish to engage in hate speech of any type like to take refuge behind the concept of "freedom of speech." The United States government seems to be having a very hard time putting the hammer down on people saying hateful things; they draw the line at people inciting other people with hateful speech. I am glad that this board isn't taking that weak, ineffective route. If words themselves had no power, then Michael Richards didn't do anything wrong.
  #35  
Old 01-01-2007, 12:24 PM
tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 40,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
Anywhere in the world ,using any medium you can use hate speech at will without any sanctions...........................as long as it is directed at white ,middle class males.

Then its freedom of speech.
Interestingly, as a white, middle class, middle aged, male, (and American, to boot), it seems to me that I find that people rushing forward to defend me from "abuse" seem to have, as a "secondary" motive, a need to abuse some other group.

I'm tough; I can take it.

YMMV
  #36  
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
rayh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Wales
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb
Interestingly, as a white, middle class, middle aged, male, (and American, to boot), it seems to me that I find that people rushing forward to defend me from "abuse" seem to have, as a "secondary" motive, a need to abuse some other group.

I'm tough; I can take it.

YMMV
Rubbish, we know you cry like a baby every time someone says anything to you.
  #37  
Old 01-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Lust4Life is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: perfidious albion
Posts: 6,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rieux
Wow, your reasoning is even weaker than your punctuation.

Wow! you come across as a total twat in nine words,I really must compliment you on your efficient use of the english language .

I am desperately sorry for any potential trauma I may have caused you !I'm just thankful that you didn't read post 4619 b where I used a colon instead of a semi colon in line six ,word three,I felt such a FOOL afterwards ! but I just HAD to show all my mates in the pub!We had SUCH a laugh!

And then again in post 19767a I ,no you'll laugh !oh all right then I ,sorry I'm laughing so much I cant type!!!!!! I omitted two ,yeah two!!!!! commas IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH! Yeah I know ! I know ! Sorry chuckling while typing isn't very efficient ,giggle ,giggle.

So I take it you dont get out very much? Why dont you try getting a boyfriend/girlfriend (depending on your gender)? New experiences help you grow as a person and lets be honest for you the only way is UP!
That is if doesn't interfere with your banjo playing ,which I would Imagine takes up most of your time.


But I digress,you attack the ethos of my posting but seem to be incredibly shy about putting forward ANY arguments ,let alone logical arguments that will give ANY degree of refutation ,and I wont waste my metaphorical breath on asking for
a good argument .


If its a case of you cant spell the words you want to say ,dont worry !spell them phonetically,I wont jump on you for it !
Why in post 269a I spelt ...........sorry for a future post perhaps!

I REALLY am looking forward to hearing your thinking on the subject ,I love to learn from the master/mistress of logical debate.
You really will be doing me a favour ,things are really quiet over here in England while we're all waiting excitedly for this "new fangled " colour television(yeah right !I'll believe it when I see it !) and so called "horseless carriages"

Holding my breath in anticipation of your reply!
  #38  
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Dr. Rieux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 4,114
A textbook example of Psycholgical projection. You must keep your team of therapists working overtime.
You are the one who hasn't put forward any argument--just ignorant, bigoted, knee-jerk, reactionary opinions.

And, seriously, learn how to fucking type or at least, how to edit your posts before hitting "submit." You come across like a petulant, untrained punk.
  #39  
Old 01-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Lust4Life is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: perfidious albion
Posts: 6,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb
Interestingly, as a white, middle class, middle aged, male, (and American, to boot), it seems to me that I find that people rushing forward to defend me from "abuse" seem to have, as a "secondary" motive, a need to abuse some other group.

I'm tough; I can take it.

YMMV
The white ,middle class,middle aged ,male bit I can take but AMERICAN !!Take a hike baby
I'm not particulary bothered by other groups slagging off my particular minority (Honkey ,hetro ,non poor males ),but the sheer gutless ,two faced hypocritism of them does wind me up.
I DONT actually feel the need to slag off other groups as a whole except for maybe, ,no definitley,estate agents who are totally evil and probably all satanists

And I must cleanse myself ,in a Cafe Society thread about actors "upstaging "each other I put forward Lee Marvin in" the Magnificent Seven",you told me he wasn't in it ,I thought immediatly it must have been the sequal,I now find it was James Coburn I was thinking of.

In my defence my excuse is that I'm a thick cunt with probably no hint of redemtion.
  #40  
Old 01-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Dr. Rieux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
In my defence my excuse is that I'm a thick cunt with probably no hint of redemtion.
Then go away and stop annoying us, please.
We're here to fight ignorance, not to enable it.
  #41  
Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Kal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The rearview mirror
Posts: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rieux
We're here to fight ignorance, not to enable it.
I thought we're here to have a bit of fun, call people names, argue, brag, nitpick spelling, get sympathy, whine, display outrage and post photos of cats.
  #42  
Old 01-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Dr. Rieux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I thought we're here to have a bit of fun, call people names, argue, brag, nitpick spelling, get sympathy, whine, display outrage and post photos of cats.
Well, yeah, all that, too.
  #43  
Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Lust4Life is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: perfidious albion
Posts: 6,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rieux
A textbook example of Psycholgical projection. You must keep your team of therapists working overtime.
You are the one who hasn't put forward any argument--just ignorant, bigoted, knee-jerk, reactionary opinions.

And, seriously, learn how to fucking type or at least, how to edit your posts before hitting "submit." You come across like a petulant, untrained punk.
Spare me the Psycho babble ,I'M AN INDIVIDUAL,I'LL LEARN WHATEVER I CHOOSE TO LEARN MINE FUHRHER,not what little Hitlers like yourself would prefer me to learn,attack the message not the presentation ,but you can't can you ?

When attacked by the politically correct brigade everyone else is supposed to lie down and die ,either that or apologise for holding any contrary opinions cos by just DARING to disagree with the politically correct line we MUST be racists ,sexists,reactionaries but most probably fascists.

Well sweetheart I'm NOT a racist ,sexist ,fascist or any other "ist" and the "sweetheart" bit was intentionally patronising and I hope you are getting really wound up.

I am thinking of nipping over to the U.S. to get myself a P.H.D in the summer as I've got a couple of weeks leave coming,lets face it !if you can get one then my next door neighbours 5 yearold wouldn't have a lot of difficulty getting one ,and I think it could come in useful for keeping tea stains off of the table.

I am still waiting for something approxamating a logical refutation of the point I made in my origianal post .

Are you using your mums screen name or something?or are you a cleaner at the uni.? who's found a puter left on? I really cant believe that you're an adult and Iswear that I'm not saying that to be insulting.
  #44  
Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 40,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
And I must cleanse myself ,in a Cafe Society thread about actors "upstaging "each other I put forward Lee Marvin in" the Magnificent Seven",you told me he wasn't in it ,I thought immediatly it must have been the sequal,I now find it was James Coburn I was thinking of.
I'm glad you got that off your chest, although I don't recall ever posting on the topic of Mr. Marvin's participation in that film.
  #45  
Old 01-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Tully Mars is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug
I see a fair amount of poo heaped upon rednecks and, despite their vaunted pride, not much said about it.
Yeah, but we like it and think it's funny.
  #46  
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
rayh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Wales
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
I am still waiting for something approxamating a logical refutation of the point I made in my origianal post .
Ok, please take any hate speech directed at you, personally.
  #47  
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Dr. Rieux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
Spare me the Psycho babble ,I'M AN INDIVIDUAL,I'LL LEARN WHATEVER I CHOOSE TO LEARN MINE FUHRHER,not what little Hitlers like yourself would prefer me to learn,attack the message not the presentation ,but you can't can you ?

When attacked by the politically correct brigade everyone else is supposed to lie down and die ,either that or apologise for holding any contrary opinions cos by just DARING to disagree with the politically correct line we MUST be racists ,sexists,reactionaries but most probably fascists.

Well sweetheart I'm NOT a racist ,sexist ,fascist or any other "ist" and the "sweetheart" bit was intentionally patronising and I hope you are getting really wound up.

I am thinking of nipping over to the U.S. to get myself a P.H.D in the summer as I've got a couple of weeks leave coming,lets face it !if you can get one then my next door neighbours 5 yearold wouldn't have a lot of difficulty getting one ,and I think it could come in useful for keeping tea stains off of the table.

I am still waiting for something approxamating a logical refutation of the point I made in my origianal post .

Are you using your mums screen name or something?or are you a cleaner at the uni.? who's found a puter left on? I really cant believe that you're an adult and Iswear that I'm not saying that to be insulting.
You're trying to be patronising to me? Kid, I'm about to turn 47. I've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt (and the scars). You're the one who has the attitude, and the language skills, of a pre-adolescent.
I would refute your point, but you don't have one.
I would address your argument, but, again, you don't have one.
Where did I say I have a PhD? "Dr. Rieux" is what we call a "screen name." It is actually a literary reference, which you might know if you had ever read a book you didn't have to color first. (In real life, I am finishing up a BA in English and I work as a writing tutor at a community college.)
You'll "learn what ever you choose to learn"? People like you rarely learn anything. You're not just ignorant, you're also stupid. And as that latter-day prophet, Ron White, has said, "You can't fix stupid."
  #48  
Old 01-01-2007, 02:14 PM
The Hamster King is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
I am still waiting for something approxamating a logical refutation of the point I made in my origianal post .
Here's a report that presents a demographic breakdown of hate crimes by ethnicity. You'll note that in 2004 anti-white hate crimes were about 1/3 as common as anti-black hate crimes.

Here's another report about hate speech in American high schools. You'll note that in 2003 white students reported being the target of hate speech about two-third as often as black students.

Right now here in Los Angeles there's a high profile trial going on involving a group of black teenagers accused of committing a hate crime against three white women.

Clearly the people in charge of tracking and prosecuting such things recognize that anti-white hate crimes exist and are real.
  #49  
Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Khampelf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Republic of Anoxia
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe
In my opinion, it appears that hate speech against some groups of people is permitted or ignored.
Add Telemarketers to Rednecks and White Males in the "Free Fire Zone".

Though that is more "what they do" than "what they are".
  #50  
Old 01-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Cat Whisperer's Avatar
Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life
Spare me the Psycho babble ,I'M AN INDIVIDUAL,I'LL LEARN WHATEVER I CHOOSE TO LEARN MINE FUHRHER,not what little Hitlers like yourself would prefer me to learn,attack the message not the presentation ,but you can't can you ?<snip>
{I think I actually got some spittle on me}
You had to go and Godwinize the thread, didn't you?

Quote:
<snip>Well sweetheart I'm NOT a racist ,sexist ,fascist or any other "ist" and the "sweetheart" bit was intentionally patronising and I hope you are getting really wound up.<snip>
We have a rule against trolling on the Dope (posting for the sole purpose of provoking).

Quote:
I am still waiting for something approxamating a logical refutation of the point I made in my origianal post .
You post something approximating a logical argument, and chances are very good you'll get a logical refutation here, because if nothing else, Dopers love to argue. (I see that Pochacco has stepped up anyway, in spite of your first post being simply a snippet of a contentious opinion, rather than an actual argument.)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017