How much to replace a double width garage door?

So, with cold weather finally arriving here in Ottawa, my garage door decided to seize and buckle yesterday. I wasn’t there, but apparently it did this all by itself!

Anyway, I managed to unscrew some hinges and fiddle around, get the car out and the door closed. I’ll try buying some stuff at Hoe Depot to fix it, but if I can’t… how much for a new double width garage door? I’m thinking they must be a couple of grand installed?

“Home” Depot, that is. Although it does invoke visions…

Assuming that by double width garage door, you just mean a standard two-car garage width, my parents had theirs replaced a couple years ago for about $800-900(U.S.). If you want a fancier style, prices can go up, significantly. (Also, my parents’ door is not painted. My parents were supposed to paint it, but haven’t gotten around to it.)

Incidently, the reason it needed replacing? My parents drove home in separate cars from some event. As Mom entered the garage in her mini-van, she heard a strange sound. The door hit the roof rack and went back up-- no harm to minivan, door was no longer where it belonged. Dad had hit the button reflexively, not realizing the damage he was about to cause. Some of Mom’s friends were surprised by how un-mad she was about it–she’s almost decided it’s funny, though she still takes pains not to be driving into the garage when Dad is approaching the garage.

Well, that’s about $1,200 CDN after conversion and taxes, so it’s better than I thought. Thanks.

We replaced ours last year. The price depends on whether it’s a one-piece or multi-panel door, and whether or not it’s insulated, and stuff like that. We got an uninsulated multi-panel double-width aluminum door, with installation, for a little over $600. Single panel or insulated doors are more expensive.

That’s pretty much what I need. Thanks.

Depending on the age you may be able to buy a panel to replace the broken one.

Cool. I didn’t know that was an option. I’m guessing I could look on the door somewhere for the manufacturer and google from there.

That’s abuot what I paid here in Texas. The price also included removal and disposal of the old door and equipment. The job includes all of the hardware including runners, springs, etc. If I were to do it again, I would go with an insulated door. The insulation helps keep the noise down. Our aluminum door is EXTREMELY noisy as it raises and lowers. My mom’s insulated door is much quieter.

My garage door is 17’ wide. I went with an insulated door with windows along the top, and a top of the line opener. $1700USD IIRC last year.

I hope your model isn’t discontiued and you can save the money. It’s a big difference.