My dog is dying

Yesterday morning, my 8 year old beagle was having trouble walking. His back legs just did not seem to be going the way he intended to go. He let me pick him up to bring him back inside (which is unusual because he get scared of anyone picking him up usually).

Took him to the vet this morning, expecting some bad news. We had a beagle-mix many years ago that ruptured a disk and we brought him through some extensive back surgery which allowed him several more years of life. I was completely unprepared for the news I got this morning, however.

The vet did a series of x-rays and some blood work. Everything was normal - except that my dog was having trouble walking. He could not tell that his rear paws were flipped over. He could feel you touch his feet & tail, so he was not paralyzed. Then the bomb - he apparently has an upper motor neuron disorder. The prognosis is bleak. He will continue to lose function of his body. Eventually (weeks or months) he will die. He is in no pain (which is good), but he is confused by losing control of his body - and that confusion will get worse because his brain will stay coherent. He just will not understand.

I did a google search on this when I got home - references to Lou Gehrig’s Disease are scattered throughout. I am really, really feeling down.

My dog is napping. That part is good.

This sucks.

Thanks for listening.

I’m sorry to hear that ASAKMOTSD. Especially being a fellow beagle owner. My thoughts are with you.

Sympathy from us and from Sadie, our beagle-basset-pit bull mix, who had her left hip joint cut and partly removed in August. :frowning:

Sailboat

I am sorry. It is so hard to lose a friend.

Sailboat, Another beagle person weighing in. I’m so sorry to hear about your doggie. I’ve been where you are (only with liver cancer instead of the motor neuron deal) and it sucks more than I can describe.

Face licks to you and your boy from our pack.

Hugs and licks and bum-sniffs from me and my pooch, to you and yours.

(The hugs come from me; the others come from him.)

Oh, God, that’s terrible! My heart really goes out to you. It must be so hard to watch your dog go through this.

Know that you are in my thoughts. I wish you the very best and hope that comfort finds you.

That’s horrible. Poor puppy, and poor you, to have to watch your friend go through that.

I’m so sorry. :frowning:

If I could offer anything, beyond my most sincere condolensces, its to suggest that you spend as much one-on-one time with your pet as you can until the end. He/she knows they’re loved by you (and have always been loved by you). This is more for you to be able to reinforce that … and to give you the opportunity to say good-bye… :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

If you’ve never given your pet fillet-mignon or prime-rib in small pieces, now might be the time. It can’t hurt him/her now.

I am sorry to hear your news. It is a deep sadness to lose a loved pet.

Sending supporting thoughts your way.

Thanks, folks. I just had to explain it to my daughters when they got home from school. This is hard.

Meanwhile, my trusty dog is sitting by my side while I muddle through. He thinks he is supporting me (as usual) and he is doing a fine job (as usual).

I am so sorry. I know how hard it is when you find out your pet is ill. My best to you, your family and your poor little dog. I’m sure he knows how loved he is.

How awful!!! We had to put our dear beagle, Copper, down a few years ago due to cancer. Stupid cancer.

Buddy the Beagle sends good thoughts to you and yours. Beagles are wonderful friends.

I am really sadend to hear this news. Dog’s are truly man’s best friend.

My thoughts are with you as well.

How awful!!! We had to put our dear beagle, Copper, down a few years ago due to cancer. Stupid cancer.

Buddy the Beagle sends good thoughts to you and yours. Beagles are wonderful friends.

Yeah, they’re like that. Ask very little, give so much. Kinda makes you wonder just how large the goodness resevoir in a dog’s heart really is.

Huge. It’s huge.

I’m so sorry.

So sorry to hear your news.

GT

What was the test that resulted in this diagnosis? I’m asking because we have a 9-year-old Peke that has similar symptoms, although it’s previously been attributed to arthritis and a pinched nerve. What’s the name of the disorder?

The vet did a physical exam. He flipped his back paws so that they were upside down (kinda hard to describe) & the dog stood there unaware of the orientation. He tested to see if he had sensation. He tested reflexes (hyper reaction to what would be a tap on the knee for you & I) followed by quivering of the paw. He did x-rays to rule out damage to the vertebra. He did blood work to rule out anything in the way of an infection. Beyond that, it was symptomatic match - male dog, beagle in particular, over 5 years with the above symptoms.

He said that symptoms were indicative of either upper motor neuron disorder or lower motor neuron disorder. Lower was ruled out because there was nothing structurally wrong with the disks. That leaves upper.

He offered a course of steroids. When I asked what they would do, he said they were anti-inflammatory. When I pointed out that he already said there was no indication of inflammation, he kind of nodded in agreement. He offered me a referral for an MRI to get a more definitive diagnosis of precisely what the exact cause of the disorder was. I asked if there were any that would not have the same end result. He quietly said no. I asked if knowing exactly what would allow for any treatment. He said no. So we left.

I did the googling of “upper motor neuron disorder” in dogs. It was there that I made the reference to the similarity to Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS). There are other variations with the same theme, same ending.

Maybe I am too pragmatic. If there was something that had a decent chance of a positive outcome, I would make the $2k investment in an MRI since it would be painful for me financially, but its just money. Hearing that it will leave me pretty much where I am, I can not justify raiding the kids’ college funds.

In brighter news, Arthur seemed to be in good spirits today. He was a little more stable on his feet - hardly what he was last week at this time though. He kind of looks at his tennis ball now & just walks by. Lays down. Rests.

Damn. It sucks. It really does.