Is BSG losing its touch?

I don’t want to hijak any of the current BSG threads with something like this, mainly because they are about specific episodes or previous versions of the series so I’m bringing it to a new thread.

I’ve watched the series since it began. I can still remember seeing the miniseries and being amazed. I Was/ am a die hard fan of the show but lately, I’ve felt disappointed. These last few episodes, essentially all of season 3 after the escape from New Caprica, have been fluff and lull. This last episode, the Woman King (see first link in thread) sucked! It had no character development, plot holes out the butt, and it didn’t advance the plot at all. I saw the preview for next weeks epsiode, Cally and Chief get stuck in an air lock? I’m going to predict a snooze fest as well.

The first 2 seasons were great. Almost every episode advanced the plot, developed the characters, was jam packed with exciting action sequences, and was more or less a wonderful treat for the mind. But I can find fewer,nicer words for this season.

So I guess I’m proposing the question, do we think we’ve seen the peak of this series? Can you forsee them pulling this lull out? Does it even matter to you anymore?

Yuck. I like BSG but I never get a chance to watch the show when it airs and pretty much rely on the DVD sets. Toward the end of the second season, I kind of felt like the show was starting to run in place, with too many filler episodes and character development getting stuck in dead ends. I read an interview with the writers in which they said the third season would get things back on track. It doesn’t sound like that’s happening. I’m sure I’ll still buy the third season DVDs but this makes me a little less excited for them.

unfortunately, and without my knowledge of it, there has been a post of similar magnitude . Only a few hours late on my part. Mods, do what you must! (that is, unless you think these are distinct enough threads)

I dunno…the other thread is for people that don’t like the show, this one might be more for people that like it but are dissapointed recently. Timing hasn’t really helped them…the long break over Christmas, then they cram tons of good exciting stuff into the conclusion of the cliff hanger–when they could have expanded that material into two full episodes–follow that with filler episodes with some very mediocre stuff, then another off week for the Superbowl, and a weak episode when it returns. Sometimes the show seems to be all things to all people–space opera shoot em up with adult themes and extra angst. It also appears that there is no firm plan about where the show is going…next week’s episode does not look promising…but the week after that we get a major “event” of some tyoe involving Starbuck. Very haphazard lately.

Agreed.

I thought the first series and some of the 2nd were superb. Exodus in the 2nd series was great. Who can’t like a free fall into the atmosphere, let loose the vipers and jump when only a few hundred from the ground.

It’s becoming quite soap operaie now though. The phrase jumped the shark has actually IMO jumped the shark but I’ve got some bad feelings about how it’s all going.

It started amazingly well and set the bar high for itself. I’ll almost certainly stay with it to the end but may not be happy doing it.

Come on boys get your shit together and get back to what your audience loved and made the show a success. Please. They can keep the things like the idea of a 3 way with Zenabot and Six though as that works VERY well in my brain :Dat 50 feet
[/quote]
:smiley:

Count me among those who think Ron is just jerking us around now. I want to see shit blowing up! Everything since the Pegasus taking on the Baseships has been a slow slide into mediocrity.

I demand either explosions or nudity…preferably both!

I talked about this last night with the fellow fan who comes to my house to watch the show, after the new “epidemic” episode.

We decided that 20 episodes is too much. 13, which was their first season, was perfect. There’s no room for mucking about, and no need to pad; the storytellers have to get down to frakkin’ business. With seven extra, the plot acquires a fair amount of flab.

I’ll bet you any amount of money that we could go through the 20 episodes of season two, cut out seven entire installments (with a little bit of rejiggering to move critical plot points from those seven into the remaining thirteen), and have an abbreviated season two that is absolutely the equal of season one. And based on how season three is shaping up, I’d make the same bet for this one.

Not exactly “losing their touch,” but more “working too hard to fill extra time they don’t need.”

And hey hey, wouldn’t you know

I think that’s best for all concerned, don’t you?

Eh, there’ve been real clunkers of BSG episodes since the first season. And the space battles have, really, been rather few each season, as well. And there’ve been character development episodes, too.

When we had “Scar” and “Black Market” there were howls of doom 'round the Internet that BSG had jumped the shark or whatever. And then we got “Pegasus” and all the sturm-and-dangst folks were singing BSG’s praises once more.

It isn’t a show about space battles, or things blowing up; it’s a relationship show with those as extras. Note I do not say: soap opera. That’s an entirely different genre wherein different expectations apply, and using it here is laziness.

It’s certain that we’ve seen some less-than-well written episodes recently. We’ve seen some before – “Scar” could have been better organized, and “Black Market” better plotted. I’m still willing to watch and see what happens (despite the rather dire looking previews for next week’s storyline). But the continued complaints of some fans that BSG isn’t good any more just baffles me. If it’s not good any more, why still watch?

Cause its still better than the other shit on tv :D. But I think this season, more than the others, has had fluff episodes primarily. I mean, the entire “Eye of Jupiter” episode was almost pointless. It did almost nothing for me, personally, and I think they wanted it to be some kind of big deal. But it really wasn’t.