That's one HEAVY piece of change!

Some spare change for when Bill Gates comes north of the border again. 100 kilogram gold coin :eek:

I suppose the Mint has done their market research and that someone will buy one, but it certainly strikes me as something unusually odd to spend a million or two on even for the likes of Bill Gates and Donald Trump.

Really? :smiley:

Obviously, the best use for this is to drill a long post in the middle of it and use it as a portable stripper stage.

…what?

From the story:

The marketing just writes itself: Now with More Nines!

:eek:

I’ll get two. Plus a Rolls for Jeeves to transport them in.

And maybe I’ll adapt a vending machine to accept them. It will dispense mansions.
This does seem to be some sort of reply to the threads we get every few months about why the US public does not use more coins. I’m just not sure what sort of reply.

No real opinion on the coin, but I’m glad I saw the Canoe Network’s “Weird News Photo of the Day” – nobody around here seems to know what these things are, or why they crawl out of the woodwork in cold weather. Now, at least I know they come from Canada.

We have to have something to do to ward off cabin fever during winter…

I’m just thinking of all those retail businesses that have signs saying “We do not accept $100 bills.” Think of the response you could come up with:

“No problem. I’ll pay for my purchase with change…” :stuck_out_tongue:

How big do they have to make them to get the public to notice them? Do Canadians have extremely poor eyesight?

Sorry, Yankees! The Canadians have beaten you to the punch again. You’re still faffing and refusing to use dollar coins. They’ve gone straight for the million-dollar coin.

(Of course, you won’t be able to exchange it for American money, because the banks refuse to deal with fliddling small change.)

I tried to exchange it for some ningis, but they said they were out of rubber…

Five minutes of laughing helplessly as I envision it:

A Coke-style vending machine with one huge slot in the side.

Two slightly shlubby-looking guys – how did they get one of these? – rolling a gold coin the size of a manhole. Together they struggle to pick it up, finally shoving it through the slot.

CLANG

Guy 1: So what’s this machine supposed to give out?

Guy 2: Dunno, but it’s got to be good… what’s that rumbling sound?

CRASH

"And you said those building-code courses would never be any use!

“Now, how do we assemble this thing?”

This also puts a whole new take of the “Dr. Evil” phenomenom:

:: The Council’s situation room ::
:: Dr. Evil, six metres tall on the video screen, threatens the Free World ::

“…that last volcanic eruption was just a demonstration of my power. My moles are under twenty world captials as I speak. If you don’t want to see them melt into calderas of lava, I expect the sum of… one… million… dollars in gold bullion within 48 hours! Bwa ha ha haa…”

:: the video screen goes still ::
:: the assorted world leaders turn to each other ::

“One million dollars in gold? I’ll get my chequebook.”

“No need. I have it on hand in change.”

:: a ringing rumble as an assistant rolls a gold coin the size of a manhole cover to the podium… ::

So you don’t have a Pu yet?

“Is that a 100 kilogram gold coin in your pocket or are just glad to see me?” :smiley:

An update: the Royal Canadian Mint has just released the coin. (See the press release on the Mint’s completely-flash un-deep-linkable website… I hate it when they design sites that way.)

Apparently three coins have already been sold.

Well, Her Majesty the Queen should get one, I think. It’s got her portrait on it, after all. And other than individual high-rollers, conspicuous consumers and Auric Goldfinger wannabes, there are probably quite a few museums that would want to get one.