The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 03-01-2007, 11:59 AM

I can't trust Snopes anymore!

A friend of mine sent me a link to this Snopes story about Mr. Ed It claims that Mr Ed was a zebra and that they got away with it because zebra stripes didn't show up on black-and-white TV.

If you go to the bottom and click the link saying More Information About This Page, you get this.
Advertisements  
Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK
A friend of mine sent me a link to this Snopes story about Mr. Ed It claims that Mr Ed was a zebra and that they got away with it because zebra stripes didn't show up on black-and-white TV.
You just got whooshed, snopes-style.
Quote:
We could have put up a page saying "Don't believe everything you read, no matter how trustworthy the source," but that wouldn't have conveyed the message half as well as showing through direct example just how easy it is to fall into the "I got it from so-and-so, therefore it must be true" mindset. That's the same mindset that powers urban legends, the same basic mistake that impels countless well-meaning folks to confidently assert "True story; my aunt (husband, best friend, co-worker, boss, teacher, minister) told me so."

Last edited by Musicat; 03-01-2007 at 12:10 PM..
Old 03-01-2007, 12:13 PM

I love this! It's Snopes doing its job, and doing it very well -- mainly, making people stop and do some critical thinking about EVERYTHING they read, see and hear. Anyone who accepts this spoof at face value deserves to be thought of as a dolt.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat
Yeah, I was just about to say that I thought someone was pulling his -- horseshoed (horseshod?) -- leg. Even though it was a little early for April Fool's Day.

True Blue Jack
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat
And I think you got whooshed old style. (Your second quote is from his other link)
Old 03-01-2007, 12:21 PM

The OP wasn't whooshed, read beyond the first sentence of the post.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Don't feel bad.

One of those Urban Legends shows on TV a couple of years ago got wooshed by Snopes. They presented one of snope's falsies at the real thing during the show. Apparently the show's "research" consisted of just copying things they found off of the internet and doing no fact checking at all on them.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:54 PM

I was almost whooshed!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 PM

Reminds me of an old quote I rather like:
''Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.''
Old 03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I love it! From the Snopes page cited:
Quote:
When black-and-white television predominated in the nation's living rooms, football games were too often disrupted when players ran into the referees, whose black-and-white striped uniform tops made them nearly invisible to onlookers. Likewise, Johnny Cash's famous televised live concert performance at California's Folsom Prison in January 1968 proved disastrous when several inmates wearing the traditional black and white prisoner's garb slipped unnoticed past guards, who had been provided only black and white monitors with which to view the proceedings.
Anyone reading that and believing it would believe anything!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.D.
And I think you got whooshed old style. (Your second quote is from his other link)
Well, Duh. You caught me with my links crossed. (That's a whoosh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim
The OP wasn't whooshed, read beyond the first sentence of the post.
I got the impression (but I have no hard evidence) that ratatoskK and maybe his/her friend was/were intially puzzled, then after figuring out what was going on, saw the light. Is "I can't trust Snopes anymore!" intended to be a serious criticism or a whooshifying statement?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 PM

It was intended to be funny!!! I guess I needed the laughing face icon somewhere!!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I love the name for the page of Snopes-hoaxes:

The
Realm
Of
Lost
Legends.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK
I was almost whooshed!
Reminds me of my early days on the web, strating around '97. I was at a local branch library and one of the alt sites, devoted to pranks, casually mentioned that "gullible" was not a real word and was not in any dictionary.

I had traveled halfway across the main room toward a dictionary station before I said to myself, NOW, WAIT A SECOND!!!

So there ought to be a word for almost being whooshed.

How about whooed?

True Blue Jack
Old 03-01-2007, 07:19 PM

I don't know. I think it's kind of dumb and not that funny for Snopes to purposely undermine their own credibility in order to "teach people a lesson" about trusting supposed authority.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole
I don't know. I think it's kind of dumb and not that funny for Snopes to purposely undermine their own credibility in order to "teach people a lesson" about trusting supposed authority.
Snopes is not the be-all and end-all of truth. Snopes can get it wrong just like anyone else and they can provide misleading information just like anyone else. It's very valuable to learn to question those we perceive as holders of knowledge. If people would only question what is presented to them as fact then there wouldn't be any need for sites such as Snopes. I can't think of a better way for Snopes to teach this.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelie zelerton
Snopes is not the be-all and end-all of truth. Snopes can get it wrong just like anyone else and they can provide misleading information just like anyone else.
Never said they were. But what's dumb is for them to intentionally provide misleading information because they think they are teaching someone a lesson. Let the universe teach the lessons, just give me the facts as best as you can gather them.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
just give me the facts as best as you can gather them.
Ironic username!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Never said they were. But what's dumb is for them to intentionally provide misleading information because they think they are teaching someone a lesson. Let the universe teach the lessons, just give me the facts as best as you can gather them.
That's great, you've already learnt the lesson.

Others haven't yet. A lot of people think that institutions such as Snopes or their government or their news broadcaster are infallible and wholly committed to providing only the truth. And it would be useful for them to learn that this is not always the case. Kudos to Snopes for fighting ignorance in a very apt way.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung fu lola
Ironic username!
I actually hate rigamarole. So I guess I am what I hate, indeed.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:46 AM

I knew it! Good lord, I remember reading that Mr. Ed article at least 6 or 7 years ago and wondering how the heck a zebra's stripes could disappear when filmed in black and white. To this day I thought about it oh, probably every few months or so. The way the article was written made it sound so obvious I was afraid to ask anyone about it.

Glad to get that insurmountable barrier to my achieving full self-esteem out of the way.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelie zelerton
Snopes is not the be-all and end-all of truth. Snopes can get it wrong just like anyone else and they can provide misleading information just like anyone else. It's very valuable to learn to question those we perceive as holders of knowledge. If people would only question what is presented to them as fact then there wouldn't be any need for sites such as Snopes. I can't think of a better way for Snopes to teach this.
Lesson of the day: everything from the TROLL section of Snopes are fake, continue worshiping the rest of the site as absolute, irrefutable facts.

Check.

To be honest though, my greatest discomfort after reading the "false authority" page is not the feeling of being "duped" (although that's certainly a large part of it), but the feeling of, how shall I describe it, "information paranoia".

I mean, we live in such an age where we pride ourselves for accumulating countless amount of information - practical or trivial... in order for me to consume enough information everyday to fill my appetite, I can't help but favor "processed food" - presumably verified sources of information from all over the internet. Most of them are true - at least I think they are, there's occasionally something here and there where I get flat out proved wrong, but just because there's a chance that something is not right, does that mean I have to go through every cite that I see?

Here comes the paranoia part - so how far back do I have to trace each verifiable fact until I'm satisfied? For all I know, a cite can link to an article that is also complete BS, does that mean I have to search even further back? If I feel a "kink" about the theory of special relativity (and yes I do, the whole "Twin Paradox" thing never made sense to me) what can I really do, by myself, to prove whether it is true or false? I certainly can't ask anyone who had been to space - I don't know any of those guy, for all I know the entire NASA building is just smoke and mirrors - I've never been there, how should I know?

Where do I cross the line where I say "this is mildly unbelievable to me, but since you are a reputable source and you have made a convincing argument, I will trust you until your answer is flat out falsified by another source?"
Old 03-02-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Well yeah but, isn't that what they're doing? For the most part providing facts, but making the point that "Even us you can't always trust. We could be wrong. Look at the universe. Think when you read something."

Or course it's a dangerous ploy. As the very people who need to think might read the snopes hoaxes and believe them. But it does make a worthwhile point.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

What do you know, coke causes worms to crawl out of pork chops!

(check out the final picture)
Old 03-09-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Dextrin
What do you know, coke causes worms to crawl out of pork chops!

(check out the final picture)
Yeah, I laughed out loud at that final pic when I saw it a few days ago. It also made me hungry for gummy worms.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:31 AM

jamus_se - Yep, that's it. Glad you got that figured out. Which, I suppose, brings me to my point...

everyone - From where I see it, the lesson is a pretty simple one: Get with the damn program.

How long have those "lost legends" been there? How long? How many times have they been debunked? You should know by now that they're not the real thing.

Just like there was never any knife fight between Pom Pom and Coach Z. Just like nobody at DC Comics intended for one second to leave Superman dead. Just like Bart Simpson isn't really an underachiever, Kenny McCormick doesn't get killed anymore, Ginger Jordan finished her dissertation ages ago, Jay Sherman got laid numerous times, Southtown wasn't destroyed, the Mortal Kombat fighters' gibberish doesn't mean anything, and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is too goddam long to mean LSD. Stop looking like a sap by continuing to believe stuff that everyone else knows isn't true anymore.

Y'know what...I think I'm onto something here. A short list of implausible legends. All the same colored button, meaning "false", and it's never updated. Not a single new item, ever, not a single change to an existing item. After even a few weeks of this, shouldn't you be suspicious? If it's all old stuff and never anything new, there's a chance that it could be stale and out of date...right? And when you think about it...isn't that how most urban legends come to be? Think about it...just think about it.

P.S.: That "KFC" thing...simplicity, marketing, what everyone calls it anyway, am I right? (I swear, there must've been friggin' 10 blind alleys on this...)
Old 03-09-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamus_se
Lesson of the day: everything from the TROLL section of Snopes are fake, continue worshiping the rest of the site as absolute, irrefutable facts.

Check.

To be honest though, my greatest discomfort after reading the "false authority" page is not the feeling of being "duped" (although that's certainly a large part of it), but the feeling of, how shall I describe it, "information paranoia".

I mean, we live in such an age where we pride ourselves for accumulating countless amount of information - practical or trivial... in order for me to consume enough information everyday to fill my appetite, I can't help but favor "processed food" - presumably verified sources of information from all over the internet. Most of them are true - at least I think they are, there's occasionally something here and there where I get flat out proved wrong, but just because there's a chance that something is not right, does that mean I have to go through every cite that I see?

Here comes the paranoia part - so how far back do I have to trace each verifiable fact until I'm satisfied? For all I know, a cite can link to an article that is also complete BS, does that mean I have to search even further back? If I feel a "kink" about the theory of special relativity (and yes I do, the whole "Twin Paradox" thing never made sense to me) what can I really do, by myself, to prove whether it is true or false? I certainly can't ask anyone who had been to space - I don't know any of those guy, for all I know the entire NASA building is just smoke and mirrors - I've never been there, how should I know?

Where do I cross the line where I say "this is mildly unbelievable to me, but since you are a reputable source and you have made a convincing argument, I will trust you until your answer is flat out falsified by another source?"
Try reading Descartes -'Meditations on First Philosophy'. He questions everything until he gets to something he thinks cannot be questioned - 'Cogito, ergo sum'.
Link
Old 03-09-2007, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW
"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is too goddam long to mean LSD.
That doesn't sound like a very plausible argument to me. "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is 24 characters long (not counting spaces), and "Lysergic acid diethylamide" is also exactly 24 characters long. Unless you think that one is too long to mean LSD too.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Snopes has done their research and drawn certain conclusions, and they provide references whenever possible to strengthen their arguments.

Just as one would review a thesis paper or critique a research project, a Snopes' project should be reviewed as well. For the casual observer, looking Snopes over is sufficient.

Howeve, if one is going to lean on Snopes' body of work as part of their greater body of work, references should be checked! A news outlet, a student doing research, a journalist and anybody else leaning on Snopes should go beyond mere acceptance of their argument and check their references!

Come on, people! Snopes is great casual reading, but when used for academia, reporting and journalism, one is falling WAYYYY short of good research if they just skim through the site!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:35 AM

Rigamarole - Look...it's LitSWD. Possibly LSWD. Not LSD. I know of no system where a flippin' preposition gets excluded from the acronym.

And as far as "too long" goes, we're talking a six word code for a three letter acronym? "Lucy Shining Diamonds" or "Lucy's String of Diamonds" would be plausible. Hell, BASIC (Beginner's Allpurpose Standardized something-beginning-with-I Code), as clunky as it is, is only minus one letter. Six becoming three...nope, no way, uh uh. Occam's Razor, my friend. Anyway, it's been convincingly debunked on the Snopes site. See for yourself.

Philster - Good point. For the record, I think Wikipedia's a tremendous resource as well (unlike pretty much everyone on this board), but I certainly wouldn't ever rely solely on it either. You can't trust everything you read on the Internet...that much should be clear by now.

Last edited by DKW; 03-10-2007 at 03:36 AM..
Old 03-10-2007, 03:40 AM

But it is true! My dad was Mr. Ed! Why doesn't anybody believe me?