The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Origin of slang "redonk" (short for "redonkulous") meaning "ridiculous"

The title is pretty much the question. I've heard this term orally for maybe 2 years. I saw it for the first time in print on another message board about a month ago. Can't say "redonk" is ubiquitous just yet ... but I'm wondering whether it's part of some very recent pop culture that I may have missed.
Advertisements  
Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 PM

I think it's just people playing around with common words to make them sound funny.

I also hear "recockulous" and "ridicurous".
Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Don't be dickless, Lucy!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrot
I think it's just people playing around with common words to make them sound funny.
True, true. I still wonder if "redonk"/"redonkulous" has appeared in a recent movie, TV show, song, or something like that. Heck, these days, a video game or well-read blog can probably popularize slang.

I've been finding over the past 5 years or so that a lot of what looks like "playing with words" actually had been popularized in some form of media. For instance -- People. Writing. Sentences. Like. This. -- actually came from the Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons (I don't watch much ... I'll assume that CBG Talks. In. Pauses.).
Old 03-02-2007, 01:12 PM

Perhaps it's origin is tied in to the phrase "badonkadonk" or "It's on like Donkey Kong" ?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:20 PM
graphite is a great moderator

All I can contribute is that it first appears on Usenet in 1999.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

David Spade may have revived its popularity by his repeated use of it on his Show Biz Show.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

[Seinfeld]Wait a minute....did you ..... say ..... ridicurous?[/js]
Old 03-02-2007, 03:58 PM

It's also all over www.cuteoverload.com, along with some of my other favorite non-words like 'snorgle", "muzzlepuff" and "pawsitude".
Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM

That annoying little gnome creature from whatever online service uses it. I haven't heard it otherwise. I hate him.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus
Perhaps it's origin is tied in to the phrase "badonkadonk" ...
See, there's another example right there of the same thing. My hip, young sister-in-law uses this word (or is it "bading-adang-dong?") to refer to country music, NASCAR, small towns, and rurality in general.

I thought "badonkadonk"/"bading-adang-dong" was a just a play on the sound of a banjo or something, until I heard that it came from a recent hit country song. Of course, the song might have come after the term ... probably did, as a matter of fact.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Playing around with "ridiculous" is not new. Albert Alligator, in the long-defunct comic strip Pogo, complained that something was "ree-dickle-wockle."
Old 03-02-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott
Albert Alligator, in the long-defunct comic strip Pogo, complained that something was "ree-dickle-wockle."
But Pogo used that kind of bizarre artificial elaboration for all kinds of words in the dialect of its Okefenokee swamp-critter characters, not just "ridiculous" in particular. Similar phrases I can think of just off the top of my head include "a big political assassifrassination", "automobobble", and "dangerest".
Old 03-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond
See, there's another example right there of the same thing. My hip, young sister-in-law uses this word (or is it "bading-adang-dong?") to refer to country music, NASCAR, small towns, and rurality in general.

I thought "badonkadonk"/"bading-adang-dong" was a just a play on the sound of a banjo or something, until I heard that it came from a recent hit country song. Of course, the song might have come after the term ... probably did, as a matter of fact.
Actually "[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badonkadonk]badonkadonk[URL]" is something completely different.

Last edited by samclem; 09-08-2011 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: made link not clickable.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea
Actually "badonkadonk" is something completely different.

I'm just too old to keep up, I tell ya!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 PM

The first time I heard it was on the sit-com "How I met your mother", they said it in at the start of the second session
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
It's also all over www.cuteoverload.com, along with some of my other favorite non-words like 'snorgle", "muzzlepuff" and "pawsitude".
Yeah! Thats where I heard this for the first time.
muzzlepousche...hehe
Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Actually "badonkadonk" is something completely different.
Not so completely different - the country song was "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" which may have been referring to a girl's nice backside while she danced to Honkytonk, but the apparent hipster use of the term comes from the association with that song and making it mean honkytonk. And slang means as slang is used.

Last edited by DSeid; 03-24-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 AM

I assumed it was because dong is a slang term for dick, like cock is. So similar to how recockulous is used because cock is slang for dick, redonculous is used as well. The 'g' gets dropped off, but it's still there in spirit.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
I've been finding over the past 5 years or so that a lot of what looks like "playing with words" actually had been popularized in some form of media. For instance -- People. Writing. Sentences. Like. This. -- actually came from the Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons (I don't watch much ... I'll assume that CBG Talks. In. Pauses.).
Comic Book Guy got it from comics (surprise!). Imagine the hero struggling so hard that they can only get out one word at a time. Must... fight... off... raygun... effects!! Where... is... Robin? Can't... reach... button...!

Didn't Balki on Perfect Strangers have fun with "ridiculous"?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:02 AM

In the early 90s we had the redonkulous scale for rating women's hotness around the fraternity house. It was mostly nonsense, with lots of modifiers, and double negatives to further confuse the issue. It was all in good fun then, and I'm not sure where it came from, but the word as a concept has been around since at least then. I'm not going to presume that it spawned it's popularity our of our living room, 20 years later.

Someone in show biz somehow must have started using it, and now it's out there.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 PM

I created it. 4 yrs ago. It was crazy to see it grow! Websters here we come.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond

The banjo sound in my experience is reminiscent of the dueling banjos sound from the movie Deliverence. It can be applied (negatively) to all things red neck and country, but unless youíre an asshole its usually reserved for just creepy rural situations.

It has nothing to do with badonkadunk, which is a nice ass
Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 AM

If I'm not mistaken, "redonkulous" was also used by one of the pigeons in the kid's movie "Bolt".
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttrox View Post
Comic Book Guy got it from comics (surprise!). Imagine the hero struggling so hard that they can only get out one word at a time. Must... fight... off... raygun... effects!! Where... is... Robin? Can't... reach... button...!
The only time I've heard CBG talk like that is when he says, "Worst. Episode. Ever" or variations on that. Seems like it is done for emphasis, not emulation of superheros.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttrox View Post
Didn't Balki on Perfect Strangers have fun with "ridiculous"?
Well, of course not, don't be ridiculous.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 AM

You guys are being ri-god-damn-diculous.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post

Unlike redonkulous, there's more to those than just sounding funny. Recockulous is replacing dic[k] with cock. Joey P already covered ridicurous earlier in the thread.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiddity Glomfuster View Post
That annoying little gnome creature from whatever online service uses it. I haven't heard it otherwise. I hate him.
I was going to post this as well (the Expedia gnome used it in one or more TV commercials). I think it was probably at least 5 years ago. I don't recall hearing 'redonkulous' before that.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
I assumed it was because dong is a slang term for dick, like cock is. So similar to how recockulous is used because cock is slang for dick, redonculous is used as well. The 'g' gets dropped off, but it's still there in spirit.
This is my assumption. (Coupled with the extra length and girth that "dong" connotes as to apposed to mere "dick.")
Old 10-16-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
True, true. I still wonder if "redonk"/"redonkulous" has appeared in a recent movie, TV show, song, or something like that. Heck, these days, a video game or well-read blog can probably popularize slang.
It was used in The Big Bang Theory as well.

Quote:
Raj: Thatís what youíre wearing.

Penny: Um, yeah, why whatís wrong with it?

Raj: Nothing, I was just hoping for something a little more, you know, redonkulous.

Penny: Yeah, well, this is all the donkulous youíre gonna get.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Astronaut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiddity Glomfuster View Post
I was going to post this as well (the Expedia gnome used it in one or more TV commercials). I think it was probably at least 5 years ago. I don't recall hearing 'redonkulous' before that.
Seeing as this is a zombie thread from 3 years ago, that's about right.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=bordelond;8315685]
Quote:
<snip>My hip, young sister-in-law uses this word (or is it "bading-adang-dong?") to refer to country music, NASCAR, small towns, and rurality in general.
<snip>
I think she's thinking of "podunk."
Old 10-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps it's origin is tied in to the phrase "badonkadonk" ...

This may connect (though which is cause and which effect is debatable) with country singer Trace Atkins' song Honky Tonk Badonkadonk (Link to Youtube video.)

Urban Dictionary (of slang; reader-created) connects it to (female) buttocks and/or to genitalia ... but then, a wide variety of otherwise innocuous terms are used slangily with one or both of those meanings.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Muff cabbage.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 AM

Wow. My first zombie resurrection.

The earliest use that the guy on the Freakonomics blog could find was in Roald Dahl's The BFG. It's a variant spelling, and in context, it sure seems as if Dahl was making it up.

Quote:
"Redunculus and um-possible," the BFG said.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
He doesn't always talk in pauses. There was a specific episode -- "The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" -- in which he posted the review "Worst. Episode. Ever." on the internet. And I seem to recall that we saw it in print with the periods.

I'm certain I encountered that speech and writing pattern long before Comic Book Guy, but that episode did set off a wave of popularity for it.

Last edited by Acsenray; 09-08-2011 at 08:42 AM..
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
He doesn't always talk in pauses. There was a specific episode -- "The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" -- in which he posted the review "Worst. Episode. Ever." on the internet. And I seem to recall that we saw it in print with the periods.

I'm certain I encountered that speech and writing pattern long before Comic Book Guy, but that episode did set off a wave of popularity for it.
The method of speaking with short bursts and pauses is often used to imitate William Shatner on Star Trek. It was used by the MST3K guys in 1989's "The Crawling Hand". It was probably used long before them.