The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Has the US military ever mandated circumcision?

Did the US military, at any time in history, ever force male service memvers to get circumcised? If so why? What was the penalty for refusing? I've read accounts that from as recently as Vietnam that soldiers could get a free circumcision if they requested one, is that still policy? Do any current militaries require circumcision?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

The US Military gives out free boob jobs. I'm sure free circumcisions are on the list.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867
Did the US military, at any time in history, ever force male service memvers to get circumcised? If so why? What was the penalty for refusing? I've read accounts that from as recently as Vietnam that soldiers could get a free circumcision if they requested one, is that still policy? Do any current militaries require circumcision?
The Israeli Army requires male soldiers to be circumcised as a practical matter.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moto
The Israeli Army requires male soldiers to be circumcised as a practical matter.
What's a "practical matter"? AFAIK the only groups that are drafted (Jews & Druze) practice circumcision. So what happens to a non-practicing Jewish male who's parents never had him circumcised? Is he declared medically unfit for service or does the Army forcibally circumcise him?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867
What's a "practical matter"? AFAIK the only groups that are drafted (Jews & Druze) practice circumcision. So what happens to a non-practicing Jewish male who's parents never had him circumcised? Is he declared medically unfit for service or does the Army forcibally circumcise him?
I don't really care. It's no skin off my....
Old 03-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Robert Leckie's Book, Challenge For The Pacific asserts that the author was required to get this done in order to join the Marine Corps
Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 PM

When I was aboard a US Navy ship one of the Marines I knew was ordered by the ship's doctor to have one after reporting to sick bay, I know not for what I suspect it was a problem related to his prepuce. I heard that the doc uses or gives such a patient an ampule of a chemical (anyone?) to break near his boner if he got one while healing. The chemical would wilt it so as not to break the stiches (?). This was many years ago on a fleet flagship light cruiser.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk VII
Robert Leckie's Book, Challenge For The Pacific asserts that the author was required to get this done in order to join the Marine Corps
It's a bit hard to picture the USMC requiring an action that a lot of guys at the time (prior to it becoming routine practice in hospitals) would have considered "Jewish."
My dad was drafted into the Army just before WWII, later went through OCS and was commissioned and was not required to undergo circumcision either to enter the Army or to be commissioned.

Given that I have never heard anything resembling a circumcision mandate in any history I have read of WWII, I have a hard time believing it was a general practice in any branch of the military.
There were various issues with the prepuce that were routinely treeated with surgery in those days, but it seems difficult to believe that there was a general order (even for just one branch of the service) for that particular surgery.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

No, they don't require us to have circumcisions.

They save money on the whole thing and just kick us in the balls occasionally.

Tripler
Sometimes, for a special treat, they use a paddle.