What Happened to Rick Dees?

Known mostly to us in the L.A./Socal area. So what happened to him and why’d he leave KIIS? I’ve heard things from he was offered millions to stay to being offered a demotion to which he refused to just plain being fired. What’s the real deal? I didn’t really like him or anything, just curious because he’s been on KIIS as far back as I can remember and I was born in this city. I know he’s on 93.9 now. Just wondering WHY he’s no longer on KIIS.

Replaced by Ryan Seacrest, hinted that he was forced out.

"God put you and me together each morning, and what God has joined together, let no man put asunder. I really do love you, and I pray for you and your family each day before I begin this radio show. God bless you from the heart of this microphone, and thanks."

Wow, that’s taking your job seriously.

Good Lord, you’re not talking about the guy who recorded “Disco Duck” are you? Yeah, whatever happened to him?

Rick’s doing mornings at the new Movin’ 93.9 in Los Angeles.

This used to be known as KZLA and was playing Country. When they switched to Movin’, a top 40/dance mix, it left LA listeners without a country outlet.

Apparently Rick can’t duplicate his KIIS-FM successes, as his Movin’ ratings have been abysmal.

Sorry WonJon, I didn’t catch the part where you knew he was on 93.9.

According to www.laradio.com (a subscription site, although you can catch free weekends now and then), Rick was forced out. Ryan Seacrest was eventually goiong to take over, but Dees was forced out early and made to sit for a year because of a non-compete clause in his contract. So Cheap Channel was paying Dees salary for a year for doing nothing.

It was as much a shock to Rick as to his listeners that he was forced out.

And you can’t fault Seacrest - if I was offered the number one spot in Los Angeles I’d take it too. Seacrest had nothing to do with it, other than he was the designated heir to the KIIS-FM throne and management pushed him into it early.

Wow, that’s some crazy stuff. I wonder why they forced him out. Were the ratings REALLY dropping that bad if the station was still the number one english speaking station in the city? I haven’t been a big fan of top 40 in a long while, but the guy was sort of an L.A. icon. Just feels kinda weird to know he’s no longer there on that channel every morning and instead now on some second tier old-school pop station most people kinda know about but don’t listen to. Like an major point in my life has been marked, haha.

Just as an FYI, he was known to far more areas than Los Angeles. His weekly Top 40 (that jingle still pops into my head from time to time) was nationally syndicated. I grew up listening to it here in Pennsylvania.