The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 04-02-2007, 04:11 PM

Does sedation/anaesthetic make you cry?

I just had oral surgery this morning. No big deal, nitrous and local and something IV, done in ten minutes or so, but when I was shaken awake, I just cried. And cried. And cried. I couldn't stop! I cried for something like 10 minutes with no discernible reason for doing so. I had no pain yet, I didn't remember any chisel-and-pliers trauma, I wasn't really facing anything mentally or emotionally heavy in my life. I just had no "off" valve until I'd been awake for a while.

Has this particular effect happened to anyone else when they've come out of sedation or anaesthetic? Or am I just completely weird?
Advertisements  
Old 04-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
I just had oral surgery this morning. No big deal, nitrous and local and something IV, done in ten minutes or so, but when I was shaken awake, I just cried. And cried. And cried. I couldn't stop! I cried for something like 10 minutes with no discernible reason for doing so. I had no pain yet, I didn't remember any chisel-and-pliers trauma, I wasn't really facing anything mentally or emotionally heavy in my life. I just had no "off" valve until I'd been awake for a while.

Has this particular effect happened to anyone else when they've come out of sedation or anaesthetic? Or am I just completely weird?
I had the same reaction when I had my periodontal surgery. Cried like a two-year-old for no reason.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:45 PM

I was warned about this before I had my wisdom teeth out--it's a common reaction. And yes, I think I cried on the walk from the operating chair to the recovery room--then fell asleep again for 90 minutes, and was fine when I woke up again.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 PM

I vaguely remember crying after getting my wisdom teeth out last week and being told that it was normal. I could have dreamed that though. I was still pretty out of it at the time.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

I cried after I woke up from getting my wisdom teeth out. I remember I was sobbing hysterically, and then wondered what I was crying about, and I didn't know, so I stopped.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 PM

It happens to me with any kind or amount of dental anesthesia. I've never had any kind of explanation for it, so it's comforting to know it happens to others.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMoon
I cried after I woke up from getting my wisdom teeth out. I remember I was sobbing hysterically, and then wondered what I was crying about, and I didn't know, so I stopped.
Ditto. They had to give me a tranquilizer. That was fun.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 AM

No but it makes me feel as if I'm suffering from hypothermia when I'm coming out of it. I shake and am FREEEEEEZING forever. When I had surgery on my leg 4 years ago, I swear the poor nurses must have used every heated blanket in the recovery room.

I shake so hard I can't even talk. Haven't ever cried though.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 AM

Yes! Every time I've had general anaethesia, I've woken up sobbing. Crying like my heart is breaking, for no reason at all, and I can't stop! Very disconcerting.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Oddly, it doesn't happen to me when I have anesthesia for anything else; just dental stuff. I wonder why that is?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 AM

i'd wake up not crying, but swinging.

literally.

extremely combative to the point that i'd have to be restrained until the crap was out of my system, otherwise i was a danger to myself and anyone within hitting distance.

i'd wake up with absolutely no idea where i was, what had happened to me, out of control and fighting mad -- and in restraints. not a lot of fun, believe me!

today, that doesn't happen any more, but up until about 15 years ago it did, so either the chemicals changed - or i did. before i'd go under, i used to warn the chief surgical nurse AND my surgeon about it. they took me seriously, too whether i was in for dental (i have the teeth from hell) work or something else.

IIRC, don't most surgeons today use a cocktail of memory-blockers and something else i can't remember? whatever the combo is, they seem to be working just fine on me these days.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I woke up to tears streaming down my face after my wisdom tooth extraction 25ish years ago. Ditto when I came around after nasal surgery nearly 20 years ago. Wasn't *sobbing* either time, or in any pain, I was just trying to emulate Niagara Falls from my tear ducts.

I had no such reaction on coming to after sedation from a couple of gyn procedures, nor when I came to after a tooth extraction a couple of years ago.

My WAG is it was a side effect of some of the meds they use, and I've simply had different preparations on the non-flooding occasions.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 PM

No crying but it does make me puke black stuff... that is so not nice. Usually I have had to stay in overnight with that happening which is horrible too. I hate being sick.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM

Weirdly enough, I remember sitting in the chair after my wisdom teeth removal and grinning like a loon the entire time afterwards.

Last edited by Kythereia; 04-03-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 04-03-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew
No crying but it does make me puke black stuff... that is so not nice. Usually I have had to stay in overnight with that happening which is horrible too. I hate being sick.
What could that possibly be???