Getting pet hair out of fleece clothing

My BF foolishly left his black fleece jacket here, and it got put into the laundry. Now it is completely embedded with cat hair. I’ve washed it with fabric softener, dried it with the dryer sheets, several times. I’ve used one of those adhesive rollers, but the hairs seem to have insinuated themselves into the fabric and rubbing the surface with that or a lint brush does nothing. Should I just give up, or is there some secret way to get cat hair out of a fleece?

You could try picking them out one by one with tweezers. :eek: :smiley:

I love the guy, but not that much. :wink:

Get some disposable rubber gloves, put them on and wash them with soap and water (to get rid of the powder). While they are damp, rub them over the jacket. The water makes them statically charged, and the rubber picks up the fur. The other way is to use sticky tape to pick up the fluff.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

This thingy works great

We got ours for anout $5.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond

Duct tape, especially if the hairs have woven into the fabric. It also works great on taking out those really fine prickley pear cactus pseudo-spines from hands and fingers!

I love duct tape. :slight_smile:

I’ll second LemmeOut’s suggestion of duct tape. The adhesive rollers are fine for most hair but they really aren’t industrial strength sticky enough for imbedded hairs. Roll some duct tape around your hand sticky side out and brush the jacket. If that doesn’t work then just lay long strips on the jacket repeatedly. Once it’s relatively hair free put it in plastic and return it to your boyfriend and tell him never to wear it to your place again. :stuck_out_tongue:

My sister left her fleece jacket at my house once and it was disgustingly embedded with cat hair (from her house, not mine). I brought it to the dry cleaner with my other stuff and when I picked it up it looked like BRAND new. I don’t know how they did it, but they did!

I love this thing. of course it is much easier to use on furniture or rugs than a blanket or jacket…

No, it belongs to the cats now. Please learn your place before they eat you when you’re asleep for your insubordination.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Layla, would that work with vinyl gloves as well as latex? I’m allergic to latex. I have tons of fleece throws that are full of cat hair. I used various methods to attempt to remove them, but with less than stellar results.

Thank you so much for posting this great advice, Layla! :slight_smile: This works! (I didn’t try any of the other methods as this worked so well)

Surprised not one person on here updated this thread with what works and what doesn’t so I signed up in case someone else is wondering a great technique to remove hair from fleece.

First, I just used my dish washing rubber gloves … they are not the cheapo ones so can’t attest to those. I think I paid $4.00 US for my gloves.

I also didn’t wash my gloves with soap and water as mine are thoroughly cleaned after I wash dishes and they didn’t have the new powder on them…if you have greasy debris on yours obviously you would want to wash gloves with soap and water. *** I did find a slightly damp glove worked the best … not wet.

I swiped my gloved hand left to right a few times and up and down a few times … this helped remove all of the hair. After a few swipes, remove the hair from your glove as it does build up.

My fleece jackets look brand new now. I was so embarrassed to go to the dog park with my fleece jackets on as my doggie friends would pull hair off … the lint rollers were just useless and I gave up and just stopped wearing the jackets in favor of less comfortable hoodies.

We use the dishwashing gloves to get cat hair off the furniture. Damp may be better for picking up the hair more easily, but dry makes it easier to remove the hair as you go.

As an aside, what’s the only thing cat hair doesn’t stick to?

Cats. :slight_smile: