Old 04-19-2007, 06:09 AM

Story Behind Your SD "Handle"?

I've been lurking for a few years now. Have made the occasional post and have always wondered....why people chose their particular SD names.

Some are obvious, some are imaginative but easy to get, others must have some meaning behind their choice.

I'm just kind of curious to know. If your handle has a story behind it, care to share?

Thanks

M

PS Baci was a much loved Siamese cat who blessed me with his presence for about 12 years. It's nice that his memory can be perpetuated in some way by me adopting his name for these boards.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:45 AM

I was feeling lazy the day I signed up and didn't want to try to create a clever screen name. I went to my bookshelf, pulled a book off of it at random and took the main character from it. That book was The Man who Never Missed by Steve Perry.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji
I was feeling lazy the day I signed up and didn't want to try to create a clever screen name.
Here, here.

Last edited by pretend my name is witty; 04-19-2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: coding
Old 04-19-2007, 06:49 AM

It's what my niece calls me.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 AM

I like food and I like trying new things to eat. Mange tout is French for (approximately) 'Eats everything'. I myself am not French though.

Pre-emptively, no, I won't be surprised to learn that people thought it was (or misread it as):
-Man get out
-Magnet out
-Mangetout in the sense of immature peapod
-Mangey trout
Old 04-19-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRojelio
It's what my niece calls me.
In the OTC, there are some awesome nicknames, and one of my personal favourites is "the robotron" or "the robotron 5000" for a particularly anal friend. He hates it, says he wants everyone to call him "Uncle Mike".

Trouble is, he's nineteen years old and a little creepy. I think it makes him sound like an internet groomer.

My Neice and Nephews call me Uncle Harry, but no-one else ever should unless talking to them!

Seems to work for you, though.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 AM

I got to this board through another board I frequent. That board is (mainly) about riddles and puzzles. There, I "rised" to the level of "Uberpuzzler" (it's post-count dependent).

When I came here, I thought about keeping that title, but the "uber" sounded a little pretentious. So, off went the uber, leaving Puzzler behind.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I narrowed it down to two names: VunderBob and The Hostile Amishman, the first being a play on wunderbar, German for wonderful (and the punchline to a joke that I've forgotten).

In the end, I picked the first because it was easier to type and it fit well into my false egomaniac web personna.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:09 AM

I just use my first name.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan
I just use my first name.
How is that pronounced?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Right around the time I joined, I noticed a poster named TaterTot, and said "MMMMM, I love tater tots!" At the time, I was really digging Philly Cheesesteaks too, so there you go.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout
How is that pronounced?
Strew-an, roughly, with a rolled "r" and short "a" that's close to an "i".
Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 AM

I just had to find something that wasn't taken. RumMunkey is nonsensical. I tweaked the spelling of "Monkey" to match "Rum" to better my odds of uniqueness.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 AM

A prize for anyone who can guess how I came by my user name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretend my name is witty
My Neice and Nephews call me Uncle Harry, but no-one else ever should unless talking to them!
Why would they do that if your name is Witty?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:38 AM

There was a band I was in about 15 years ago. We were trying to come up with a band name. I told a friend of ours we were considering buns2000. He said that would date pretty soon so we should go with buns3000. We called ourselves Baked instead.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:38 AM

I'm afraid mine's not terribly imaginative in terms of being unique to the Dope, as I'm known as Mindfield pretty much wherever I go. The nick itself was simply the result of a brainstorming session back in early '98 on band names from which I would hopefully pick one to label my music with. Unfortunately, it didn't quite turn out that way, as it ended up that there formed some local rock band in the US with that name, as well as some kind of band in Scotland with it as well. And then I discovered that The Prodigy (not a band I was particularly aware of at the time) had released a song called "Mindfields" in '97, so that pretty much wrapped it up for any hopes of using it as a band name. So, I just kept it as an alias for the 'net.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buns3000
There was a band I was in about 15 years ago. We were trying to come up with a band name. I told a friend of ours we were considering buns2000. He said that would date pretty soon so we should go with buns3000. We called ourselves Baked instead.
Shouldn't instead be capitalised?
*snirk*

Mine?
Just a play on common sense, which everyone claims is dead these days. So I went with uncommon sense which is the new common sense....I think.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Cal Meacham is the name of the Tall, Dark, and Handsome deep-voiced hero of the 1950s movie This Island Earth. Besides being a Ph.D. scientist, he also flies jet planes and ends up fighting a Bug-Eyed Monster.(And played by a guy named Rex Reason -- could you ask for a better name for a movie scientist?) It's everything I could want. I got the "scientist" part down OK, but I've been having trougle with the rest.

Actually, I prefer the version in Raymond F. Jones' original stories and novel. The movie sadly jettisoned the plot of the book, and managed to screw it up where it did follow it, and never even explained what the hell the title meant. Read it if you get the chance. You'll find out that the interociter is a lot more than a triangular TV screen with a built-in zapper.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 AM

My username is the result of my first name taking on diminutive forms that slowly deviated well past the original form. Now it just looks like fake Japanese, but it's cute. I also use it almost everywhere for the sake of convenience.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Because I truly am the Goddess of Wisdom. And where else would you expect me to hang out?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Suspended

A nickname my first wife gave me when we played Sega together that I have clung to for various reasons.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I originally used my real name as my username. But I decided to change it for a little more anonymity. I picked Little Nemo pretty much at random because I happened to have been reading a collection of Little Nemo in Slumberland comic strips that week.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

A nod to my (now-previous) career as a puzzle editor, and to my fondness for the Warner Bros. cartoons.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 AM

I work for a large gaggle of Engineers. They ask me to do stuff, as that is my job. When they say "Hey myrealname - would you do whatever stupid task they want done", I say, "That's Missy to you."

What? I never said it was clever.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Phlosphr - came about because I was teaching a 300 level philosophy class over one summer, and my class and I were in a discussion over the Bacchae. We got off over several tangents and one student commented that Bacchae would make a great license plate or bumper sticker.... At the end of the class several students of mine gave me a bumper sticker for my then Saab 95 that read PHLOSPHR. Specifically leaving out some letters to make people "think" and "question" about what it was they were reading, there for in it's essence making them Phlilosophize.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 AM

Mine is from picking a user name for emails and such years ago when I was in the textile business. Pima is a type of cotton, and we spun it into yarns for shirts and sheets. I've been using it for years and didn't see any reason to get particularly creative. The less I have to remember the better. My ex- husband started calling me PIMA all the time. I thought it was cute, till I found out it stood for Pain In My Ass. I still like it, and feel free to call me Pima.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:43 AM

Zagloba is a character, somewhat reminscent of Falstaff, in three historical novels by Henryk Sienkiewicz. The Trilogy, written in the late 19th century, describe events in the second half of the 17th century.

My location, Soplicowo, is the fictional setting for Pan Tadeusz, the Polish national epic, written in 1834 by Adam Mickiewicz.

Both works were written to inspire patriotism and a sense of national identity in the Polish people during the period when Poland itself had been wiped off the map after being partitioned among Prussia, Austria and Russia in the late 18th century.

However, I myself have no Polish ancestry. I can't entirely account for my interest in Polish literature and history. I did live in Krakow for six months, though.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:44 AM

I signed up because I was curious about lots of stuff in GQ. And we all know what curiosity killed. I thought it was reasonably witty and distinctive, but I don't use it anywhere else, for obvious reasons - someone here once thought it was a reference to roadkill. And while I don't like cats, I do swerve to avoid them when driving .
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 AM

Freddy the Pig was the title character in a series of storybooks by Walter R. Brooks, of which I was very fond as a child.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 AM

This li'l guy here.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 AM

I spent eight summers at a camp where my nickname was "Mosquito". When I was a mere Counselor-In-Training, my CIT director called me Miss Mossie, because she was British and Mossie is Brit-speak for Mosquito. When picking user names, I usually pick MissMossie over Mosquito because it's less likely to be taken. I've thought about switching it here though, but there's another poster with a handle that's derivation of Mosquito, so I probably won't for fear of being confusing. Either that or I'm lazy.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 AM
BANNED

The idea of a webcrawler posting personal information tickled my fancy. So, here I am.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:02 AM

I am rather fond of Congreve.

(I am not married.)
Old 04-19-2007, 09:02 AM

I had a few witty (well I thought so anyway) usernames ready before I signed up, but when it came down to it they were all taken. I gave up and just stared at the keyboard for 10 min before picking a string of letters that were reasonable as a real word.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:11 AM

In '98, a friend introduced me to the slang term attitudial, to mean a self-centered, bitchy person. I thought it was an ideal term to describe myself, so I began using it in capitalized form on other sites I frequented.

When I decided to join the Dope, I wanted to separate myself from the persona I'd built around my first username. At the same time, I felt too attached (that username was me, after all) to let it go completely. So I shortened the name and tacked on Bratti.

Some posters have inquired if my name is a play on Attila the Hun. Could be. He and I, we're tight.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:16 AM

I was still working for an architect full time during the summer of 2001 when
I joined. Since then, I've gone to college, graduated, and moved on to a career of my own. I've considered changing my handle to something more relevant to me.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 AM

I tend to use names from Tolkien wherever I want to be anonymous - preferably fairly obscure ones that still sound good to my ears.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Many years ago I was in a rock band called Mustango. When the band broke up the lead singer and I decided to perform as a duo. We tried on various names and eventually thought Velvet Jones sounded cool (and we were, at the time, completely unaware of Eddie Murphy's character from SNL). We released an album under that name and then stopped performing together. So I decided it could be my username on another message board. When I joined here I used the same name.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

"Corrado" is the name of the small town in Italy (a bit north of Rome) where my paternal grandfather hails from. Unlike the standard Ellis Island myth where an immigrant gets his name screwed up and changed to the name of whereever he was from, my grandfather's last name actually was Corrado as well. Apparently half the people in the town have that last name, and no one's sure whether they were named after the town or the town was named after them. The name itself is actually much more common in Italy as a first name - it's equivalent to "Conrad". As in "Corrado Prizzi" from Prizzi's Honor, or "Corrado Soprano, Junior" from The Sopranos.

My grandfather's name was Giovanni, which he Americanized to John. My father was born on June 24th, which was St. John the Baptist's Day, and so he was named John as well. When I was born, I was named John as well to carry on the "tradition", even though it was more coincidence than tradition.

Oh, and my username is my real name.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 AM

I was lurking here for a while, and the only reason I hadn't joined was I couldn't come up with a great name. One day I was sitting watching Shrek 2 with my kids and I had an AH-HA moment. When the king turns back into a frog it hit me, that's how I feel. At any moment everyone is going to find out I'm not who I seem to be. I'm not that woman who has it all together, the breadwinner, taxi-driver, homework helper, first aid provider. I'm just a little girl pretending. That along with my love of frogs gives you....frog princess.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

What can I say? The description fit rather closely.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 AM

I'm a cynical pessimist IRL and once used my username as a joke in an email. Much like one people occasionally shout out "band name!", MadPansy64 responded immediately with "username!".

I signed up about a month later and couldn't figure out my login for Wyzardd, so took what I have now.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:44 AM

My husband invented this name for an NPC (non-player character) in a D&D game, and I thought it was hilarious. It stuck with me, so I used it here.

Millit's backstory: In the world in which we were playing, some strange, fringe townfolk worshipped a god called the "All-Eater." (My question: "Um, what does the All-Eater do?" Duh....) So a backstory was created for the All-Eater, in which he had been given the king's homely daughter in exchange for....well, not eating everything. My husband draws cute little cartoons for some of his campaigns, so I asked him for a picture of the All-Eater. When he finally drew the All-Eater, he was a giant monster holding hands with a tiny, pathetic-looking, emotionally ambivalent girl who appeared on the verge of fainting. The caption was "The All-Eater and Millit the Frail." I loved the cartoon, and I probably still have it somewhere.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Back when I was playing guitar, I could never find anyone to jam with. Never learned to play Lead as a result; hence the handle.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:47 AM

I'm a male in Japan. However, I am not Japanese.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 AM

When I realized I had never met another person with my real name, I decided to use it.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 AM

Variant of Programmer.

Anyone care to guess what one of my hobbies is?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 AM

Mine is one of my many real-life nicknames.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Mine is a Kids in the Hall reference.

That sketch itself isn't the greatest, but I like that they rerpise the character at the end of a later sketch with the crazy guy in the restaurant, trying to get his check.

"I like to frolic. I'm a nutty bunny."
Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 AM

I've used this name since forever (when I first began going online--it used to be part of my email address), and when I joing SDMB, it just kept it because it was easy for me to remember.

As far as how it came to be...well, my middle name begins with P. (and I used to go by that name), my last name is Hall and my birthday is January 6.

How's that for originality?