The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-24-2007, 12:03 PM

Not so dumb DVD\VCR problem

My less than 1 year old DVD/VCR combo (a JVC model) is giving me problems. If I put in a tape, I can get sound, but no picture (the picture is snow). DVD playback is fine, however, and both the DVD and VCR playback are controlled via a single output (ie there is not a separate DVD out and VCR out on the back of the unit).

The unit supposedly has auto-tracking, so it shouldn't be a tracking problem....any other ideas?
Advertisements  
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I assume you've tried it with more than one tape?

I am not an expert, and in fact have no actual experience with DVD/VCR combos, but if I were in your situation, I'd try putting in a VCR head-cleaning cassette, and see if that clears up the problem.

If that didn't work, I might flail around for other things to try, like connecting the unit to a different TV and seeing if the problem persisted, or opening up the unit to see if anything was obviously amiss (like a loose wire). But I'd resign myself to the idea that it might not be fixable, or at least not worth fixing.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:10 PM

How exactly is it connected?

On my combo DVD/VCR player, using the S-video cable, will only display video from the DVD. I need to use the RCA type cables for video to get the VCR. (I use RCA video cables to get video for both, and RCA cables for audio).

I had a very similar issue, as I didn't read the instructions... audio from VCR, but no video. DVD worked for both.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:21 PM

I have tried multiple tapes. None of them worked.
I have used the VCR under this setup for 4 or 5 months now with no problems until this point.

The unit gets its input via coaxial cable from the Dish Network box. It outputs to the TV via RCA cables. It accepts additional input from 2 other sets of RCA sources (currently I am only using one, for my Playstation2). The DVD works fine, the PS2 works fine, the VCR delivers sound but no picture.

Last edited by crazyjoe; 04-24-2007 at 01:24 PM..
Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

On most DVD/VCR combos I have seen there is a switch or a pair of push buttons to select DVD or VCR. Are you sure you are in the correct mode?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:36 PM

Since you haven't mentioned it, I'll assume you have no trouble watching your Dish Network connection through your DVD/VCR. I'm wondering if your VCR output channel was changed accidentally. Let's say your tv is set to use Channel 3. DVD & Dish Network output to Channel 3 - no problem. VCR outputs to Channel 4 - you get sound but no picture.

Not sure if that's a good guess - I think my DVD/VCR unit has a physical switch to select either Channel 3 or Channel 4 - so if it's not working for the VCR, it won't work for the DVD either.

Or you could unplug the set for a few minutes, then re-do the original setup, in case it's some software glitch.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papermache Prince
Since you haven't mentioned it, I'll assume you have no trouble watching your Dish Network connection through your DVD/VCR. I'm wondering if your VCR output channel was changed accidentally. Let's say your tv is set to use Channel 3. DVD & Dish Network output to Channel 3 - no problem. VCR outputs to Channel 4 - you get sound but no picture.
I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, since the OP says he is using RCA cables for video/audio, and not the coax RF cable, which would be dependent on the ch 3/4 switch.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 PM

FatBaldGuy is correct, I use RCA cables, so do not need to set the TV to channel 3 or 4, instead I set the TV to "video in" and yes, the Dish Network stuff works fine, too.

The unit auto-magically switches to whichever input it detects is themost recent, so if you just put ina DVD, it switches to dVD mode, and if you just put in a tape, it goes to tape mode.

Nevertheless, I made sure to ut it in VCR mode, and even togled the TV\VCR switch, to no avail. I think its something to do with the electronics, because I popped the top, and when I hit the rewind button, the tape stops rotating forward for a second, and then resumes its normal course. It also will eventually just decide to eject the tape without prompting.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Nah, it's acting strangely 'cause the lights in the room are messing with the IR sensors that detect tape position, etc.

Turn all the lights off or put a blanket over it or something, and it'll work normally again.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:21 AM

I'll go for dirty heads. Stick in an old tape that you don't care about, press play and then fast forward search while playing. If you are lucky after a few minutes an image will begin to appear.