The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 PM

Surprise nude/sex scenes in the movies

Most nude/sex scenes in movies are not surprises. The lead couple embrace. They kiss, the music swells. You know what's coming next, the droppage of clothes, etc. etc. Or the cops or mobsters pull up in the parking lot of the Pussycat Lounge. It's not surprising that naked women will be dancing onstage in the next scene.

A surprising nude/sex scene is one which gives you no warning it's coming up, either in the nature of the movie or the way the plot progresses.

One example that springs to mind is Emma Thompson's scene in, I believe, Howard's End. At some point one of the characters opens a door to a bedroom, without any buildup at all, and there's Emma Thompson, stark naked, riding some guy cowgirl style, shagging the living hell out of him. It was quite startling in what seemed to be a droll English tragicomedy.

Another example that springs immediately to my mind is "The Borrower," a cheesy 90s horror flick about an alien sent to Earth as punishment for some crime or other. The plot gimmick is, he needs to wear the bodies of humans to survive on Earth, but for some reason, the heads of his victims tend to explode periodically. So he has to "borrow" a new head from someone, by ripping it off their shoulders, and placing it on his own shoulders.

Messy process.

Anyway, at one point he grabs a nurse and drags her into a closet in a hospital. Next scene, you see the back of the guy walking out of the closet . Then a shot inside the closet. You expect to see another headless body. Instead, the nurse is lying on a cot face down, completely intact, but stark naked and bound and gagged. The Borrower only wanted to borrow her clothes. The shot lasts for about 2 seconds, and there's no other nudity in the movie. I'm not even sure it was put there to get an R rating, because since she was face down, there were no naughty bits showing.

In both films, the sex/nudity was a total surprise, and intended to be. Any others like that out there?
Advertisements  
Old 05-05-2007, 11:22 PM

Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 PM

I was permanently scarred by seeing a surprise, long shot of a full-frontal Harvey Keitel in The Piano.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsGirl
I was permanently scarred by seeing a surprise, long shot of a full-frontal Harvey Keitel in The Piano.

Speaking of same, I wasn't permanently scarred, but a bit disappointed with Holly Hunter. Same for Madeleine Stowe in Short Cuts.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener
Is there a reason to be threadshitting in here?

As for surprises, I was a little surprised to see Donald Sutherland's butt cheeks in Animal House.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:52 PM

There was surprise penis in Heavenly Creatures. At least, I was surprised. Maybe everybody else was expecting Kevin Bacon to pop out from behind a door totally naked.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:56 PM

I was shocked to see Frank Langella's penis flopping around in Lolita (the Jeremy Irons version).

Also surprised to see JoBeth Williams' bare breasts in Teachers. It wasn't a sex scene. If I remember right, she was flipping out and running down a hall in a school building.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Twee Varmint

Mod Warning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener
There are three basic options for dealing with a thread you don't like:

1.) Ignore it;
2.) Report it if you feel it violates a board rule;
3.) Take your complaints to the Pit.

You blew right past the first two options (not that the second one would have gotten you very far, what with there not being anything wrong with the topic), so I guess you still have the third option with which to play. You'll notice, however, that "threadshitting" isn't an option, so don't do it again.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also surprised to see JoBeth Williams' bare breasts in Teachers. It wasn't a sex scene. If I remember right, she was flipping out and running down a hall in a school building.
No way was that a surprise. Nick Nolte's and JoBeth Williams' characters had a conversation earlier in which there was a line about running naked in the halls. From that point on, you knew it was going to happen before the end of the movie and the only question was which of them would do it. (Fortunately the producers made the right choice and picked Williams instead of Nolte.)
Quote:
There was surprise penis in Heavenly Creatures. At least, I was surprised. Maybe everybody else was expecting Kevin Bacon to pop out from behind a door totally naked.
I think the shock of seeing Kevin's Bacon may have confused you. I believe you're actually talking about Wild Things not Heavenly Creatures.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 05-06-2007 at 12:34 AM..
Old 05-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Does the Schwarzenpecker in The Terminator count? Blink and you miss it, but it's there in all its Austrian glory near the begining.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

My contribution would be Silkwood. Karen Silkwood is arguing with a co-worker and flashs her boob at him. It was a surprise because:

1 - It wasn't a sex scene.
2 - They were in a nuclear power plant.
3 - It was a serious drama.
4 - It was Meryl Streep.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Um, I think the Emma Thompson movie in the OP is "Peter's Friends," not "Howard's End." Though an adaption of E.M. Forster with anyone fucking cowgirl style would be, well, different.

And "Peter's Friends" was about a group of contemporaries meeting up for a reunion. There's lots of drinking, talking, fucking and even AIDS in the film, so it's hardly a "droll tragicomedy."

Unless the OP is thinking of the "The Tall Guy." Emma fucks a lot in that one, too.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:45 AM

When Charlize Theron stood up to show Keanu Reaves her scratched body in "The Devils Advocate" took me by surprise
Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 AM
BANNED

Nudity in films rarely surprises me, though I did do a doubletake at the erect wicker-bill in "Angels and Insects." Talk about your droll tragic-comedies. Or was that just me and A.S. Byatt?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:05 AM

Maria Bello in A History of Violence. She walks out of the bathroom in an open robe, with all her naughty bits showing.. totally unexpected.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:05 AM

Kathy Bates in About Schmidt.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipMagic
There are three basic options for dealing with a thread you don't like:

1.) Ignore it;
2.) Report it if you feel it violates a board rule;
3.) Take your complaints to the Pit.

You blew right past the first two options (not that the second one would have gotten you very far, what with there not being anything wrong with the topic), so I guess you still have the third option with which to play. You'll notice, however, that "threadshitting" isn't an option, so don't do it again.
Wow. A mod warning based on a single emoticon! That has to be a record.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole
Perhaps, though, if one really cared to beat it, one could develop a habit of making empty posts drivebys, presumably eventually getting warned for it.

Though, since the eventual warning would really be based on multiple empty posts and not just the one, perhaps this doesn't count as really breaking the record.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda
Maria Bello in A History of Violence. She walks out of the bathroom in an open robe, with all her naughty bits showing.. totally unexpected.
See, this didn't surprise me in the whole context of the scene. Y'know, married folks.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole
Can someone point me to the rule on this? I thought smilies, emoticons, whatever, on this site were cool.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky
Can someone point me to the rule on this? I thought smilies, emoticons, whatever, on this site were cool.
Are you serious? Did you read the Mod's post? Do you really think that the problem was that Lissener used an emoticon?

Hopefully I've been whooshed here...

-FrL-
Old 05-06-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
See, this didn't surprise me in the whole context of the scene. Y'know, married folks.
Really? You really thought they were suprised that married folks would be naked around each other?

That's really what you thought?

-FrL-
Old 05-06-2007, 02:24 AM
BANNED

The nakedness in the scene did not surprise me because the characters were married and used to seeing each other naked.

Why gouda thought that Mario Bella nude was surprising is a question you can ask him/her. And, do please use a smilie.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock
Are you serious? Did you read the Mod's post? Do you really think that the problem was that Lissener used an emoticon?

Hopefully I've been whooshed here...

-FrL-
Just asking for clarification.
[insert non-offensive, though perturbed smilie here]
Old 05-06-2007, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

28 Days

I keep wonderong if this repeats in 28 Weeks!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indistinguishable
Though, since the eventual warning would really be based on multiple empty posts and not just the one, perhaps this doesn't count as really breaking the record.
Come on. Of course many empty posts don't add up to more than one emoticon.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

In Heaven's Prisoners there's a scene outside a Louisianna house with Alec Baldwin talking to Eric Roberts. As Alec is leaving the camera pans to a balcony, and there's Teri Hatcher, showing all her housewifey bits.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek
In Heaven's Prisoners there's a scene outside a Louisianna house with Alec Baldwin talking to Eric Roberts. As Alec is leaving the camera pans to a balcony, and there's Teri Hatcher, showing all her housewifey bits.
I was disappointed in that scene, they're real, and NOT spectacular, making that Seifeld epi rather ironic.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
The nakedness in the scene did not surprise me because the characters were married and used to seeing each other naked.

Why gouda thought that Mario Bella nude was surprising is a question you can ask him/her. And, do please use a smilie.
IIRC, this scene takes place soon after Maria's character finds out her husband's real history, and the two aren't on speaking terms at that point. I'm not married an' all, but I don't think wives do much nekkid walking around their husbands when they're fighting.

Or maybe that's just me.

And him.

Last edited by gouda; 05-06-2007 at 07:26 AM..
Old 05-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Unless the OP is thinking of the "The Tall Guy." Emma fucks a lot in that one, too.
I don't think there's any "cowgirl" style in her shagging of Jeff Goldblum.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Um, I think the Emma Thompson movie in the OP is "Peter's Friends," not "Howard's End." Though an adaption of E.M. Forster with anyone fucking cowgirl style would be, well, different.

And "Peter's Friends" was about a group of contemporaries meeting up for a reunion. There's lots of drinking, talking, fucking and even AIDS in the film, so it's hardly a "droll tragicomedy."

You may well be right about "Peter's Friends" I'm not so sure about which movie the scene was in. The thing that made the scene surprising wasn't the absence of other sex scenes in the movie, it was the total absence of a set-up: the door just opens and there's Emma Thompson, going at it like there's no tomorrow. Probably the vigor and general bounciness of the sex had a certain surprise effect, too.
l
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo
I think the shock of seeing Kevin's Bacon may have confused you. I believe you're actually talking about Wild Things not Heavenly Creatures.
Yes, yes, you're right. I guess after that experience I tried so hard to forget the movie that I forgot the name even.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda
IIRC, this scene takes place soon after Maria's character finds out her husband's real history, and the two aren't on speaking terms at that point. I'm not married an' all, but I don't think wives do much nekkid walking around their husbands when they're fighting.

Or maybe that's just me.

And him.
Okay, but wasn't your suprise just at the fact of the nudity itself, regardless of its context in the story?

In other words, even if they were happily married at the time, wouldn't you have been suprised by the sudden nudity?

-FrL-
Old 05-06-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Dextrin
Does the Schwarzenpecker in The Terminator count? Blink and you miss it, but it's there in all its Austrian glory near the begining.
In the LOTR movies there are several peeks at Mini-Smeagol.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:

You should probably stay away from Bad Lieutenant.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 PM

"Team America World Police"

I thought it was a nostalgic Thunderbirds marionette children's movie.

Turns out it was a spoof of a nostalgic Thunderbirds marionette children's movie.

I didn't clue in until the shit eating sex scene.

I'm just glad that is wasn't one of the movies that I brought over the previous weekend to watch with my neighbours and their young kids.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool
In the LOTR movies there are several peeks at Mini-Smeagol.
You mean...his precioussss?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:20 PM

I wasn't expecting to see Graham Chapman's pecker in The Life of Brian.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:21 PM

Sideways. If you saw the movie, you know which one I'm referring to. (hint: car window)
Mulholland Drive. For the whole movie (which I admitted watched half asleep) I wasn't sure if the sexual tension between the two female leads was just in my head or not until they finally started kissing and then I was all "hell yeah" and woke up completely.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew
You mean...his precioussss?
The movies come across rather...differently if you interpret his lines like that. "We musn't let them have it!" "We take the Precious, and we be the master!"
Old 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM

The big reveal in Angels & Insects was surprising less for the cuckolding, than for who was doing it, and his relationship to the wife. It was a... ballsy scene, though. Props to Douglas Henshaw and all actors (and especially the male actors!) who do full-frontal shots.

I think there was a brief snippet of Emma Thompson getting shagged, doggy-style, in Carrington, and I don't think it featured real nudity. The sex scene wasn't a complete surprise, though... these were the Bloomsbury bohemians, after all. (I'll have to give that one another viewing.)

The characters in Howard's End certainly could've benefitted from more affairs, but that's largely the point of the story.

To cite another Merchant/Ivory/Jhabvala film, A Room With a View, although it was telegraphed by an earlier conversation, when Rupert Graves says to Julian Sands [paraphrasing] "very nice to meet you; care to have a bathe?," I must confess that some of the specifics of the scene to follow were a delightful surprise.

And then there's the libertine character (the character who had been discovered by Fellini) in Under a Tuscan Sun -- almost everything she does is shocking, at least to Diane Lane's recovering divorcee.

This is a bit of a hijack, but I thought of one scene that was shocking because there wasn't enough nudity: one of the what-the-hell-was-that bits in Kubrick's The Shining, in which Danny hallucinates some sort of encounter between, IIRC, a dude in a tux and someone in a furry outfit in one of the hotel rooms. (NB: I've only seen this movie in edited-for-content form on basic cable, so there may have been more to this scene in the original theatrical release.) I didn't really understand what that was about until I saw the "furries subculture" episode of the original CSI, many years later (and it was shocking to the CSI team, too).
Old 05-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scrivener
The characters in Howard's End certainly could've benefitted from more affairs, but that's largely the point of the story.
Actually, just about everyone (except Emma Thompson) is having an affair in the film (we just don't see anything).

I'd say one of the biggest recent surprises was the full frontal, barely legal Alexis Dziena in Broken Flowers.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Halle Berry's ta-ta's in Swordfish took me (pleasantly) by surprise.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:02 PM

I wish to echo Swordfish's Berry-boobies and The Life of Brian's guerilla hammer on the balcony.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 PM

A shot of Kevin Bacon's penis in Wild Things startled me. Sure, it was a shower scene but the full frontal was a surprise.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought "Harvey Keitel" but stroking off in "Bad Leiutenant"... The fact that I (unknowingly) saw both that and The Piano in the same weekend still remains one of my darker moments...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:27 PM

Brad Pitt and Julia Ormond in Legends of the Fall.

The scene itself wasn't exactly unexpected - they'd been working towards it for half the movie. But, in the middle of this tender love scene, to suddenly cut to a shot of...
SPOILER:
Brad doin' her doggy style!

...was so unexpected that I laughed out loud. It was just surreal.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Least Original User Name Ever
I wish to echo Swordfish's Berry-boobies
I'm glad you got a surprise out of it, I knew about the scene long before I saw Swordfish on cable, because the amount of money Berry was paid to flash her breasts was part of the promotional hoopla surrounding the release of the film.

In the same way, Julie Andrews' breast exposure in S.O.B. was part of the promotional hoopla surrounding that film. Come to think of it, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin
"Team America World Police"

I thought it was a nostalgic Thunderbirds marionette children's movie.

Turns out it was a spoof of a nostalgic Thunderbirds marionette children's movie.

I didn't clue in until the shit eating sex scene.

I'm just glad that is wasn't one of the movies that I brought over the previous weekend to watch with my neighbours and their young kids.
I wasn't prepared for the puppet sex scene and I knew what I was watching. It just went on and on and on and got more and more hentai-like. I figure it was a parody lampooning the general vanilla-ness and modesty of the "raunchy R-rated sex scenes" to be found in most action adventure movies. That, or the South Park guys just wanted to see how far they could push the envelope.

Last edited by Evil Captor; 05-06-2007 at 08:30 PM..
Old 05-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp
Brad Pitt and Julia Ormond in Legends of the Fall.

The scene itself wasn't exactly unexpected - they'd been working towards it for half the movie. But, in the middle of this tender love scene, to suddenly cut to a shot of...
SPOILER:
Brad doin' her doggy style!

...was so unexpected that I laughed out loud. It was just surreal.
That's just what I was thinking about when I started the thread, something that creates one of those WTF moments, as in, "What the fuck was THAT all about?"