Wearing a baseball glove: Why is the index finger sometimes out?

I bought a new glove today for softball. As usual, I bought one with a hole on top for placing my index finger outside of the glove. I’ve been playing baseball or softball my whole life and I’ve always placed my finger outside of the glove, although I have no idea why. I suspect that in my case, I was just emulating the pros when I was younger and it stayed with me. But why do the pros do it? Who started this and why?

I asked someone recently that had been semi-pro 10 years ago. They said it gave them better control of the glove. He described it as providing some extra leverage for a quick snap grabbing a ball at full extension.

I suspect there are other reasons, but at least this comes from an ex semi-pro player.

Jim

When the practice started in the early sixties, we sandlot players did it because putting the extra layer of leather between the forefinger and a really hot line drive (or even a hard throw) made the difference between a safe finger and a sore finger. We did not have fancy holes to put the finger outside; we just kept our finger on the outside. (I just pulled out my 43 year old glove (where the outside of the forefinger of the glove has been permanently “sealed” by a lifetime of never having a finger thrust into the socket) and noticed that the forefinger position is exactly in the center of the glove, so that the “pocket” actually extends a bit over from the webbing, making the finger a part of the target. Whether that remains true in the current crop of “bushel basket” gloves with enormous webbing pockets, I could not say.)

It is true of my (2 year old) glove.

For me, it is this and that I think it is more comfortable.

I probably started doing it when I saw the über talented kids doing it.

Since I’m not certain how it would provide any added control, I’m skeptical of that thought process.

I, too, played ball back in the '60s and '70s and started putting the finger outside the glove in the '70s as a way to avoid getting smacked on the finger by line drives. I started doing it for that reason, was told it was why I saw certain of the pros do it, etc. Wasn’t until the later '70s that gloves were beginning to be routinely made that way (with a hole).

Now, of course, it could be that the control factor is what was sought, and that the protection factor was just sandlot talk; someone will have to ask a ballplayer (pro) from the time period involved. :slight_smile:

The way to handle hot line drives is to duck. Anyone who hits the ball that squarely deserves a hit and I’m certainly not about to stand in their way.

I’m pretty sure the other eight guys on your side might disagree…

I’ll be darned. Do you suppose that’s why I always was chosen last?

I asked EJ about this, as he played for many years.

At first, I got the “Jeez, who knows? We just always did it!” response. But he did give me an interesting bit of information.

Because so many guys do it that way, some gloves now have a sheath to protect that index finger. He described (graphically) what happens if a ball just skims the top of your glove and you’ve got your finger out there… :eek:

I tend to agree with those who say control. This is going to be a bit dicey- but here goes:

When your forefinger is inside the glove, it is stabilized pretty close to the “fold”, and there’s not any opportunity for lateral movement and therefore leverage. When you hang it outside the glove, you can bring it away from the fold a bit and catch the lump created by the rest of the fingers to squeeze tighter. I notice the effect much more when the ball is already in the glove- it feels more secure in there with my finger on the outside- the forefinger and thumb create a kind of sphincter that hold the ball in the glove pocket, and it can be released quickly.

If you can’t tell I’m doing this while breaking to type.

I suppose that it also has the benefit of not hurting as much.

everyone is absolitely correct it is more comfortable and offers better glove feel/ protection. However, have u ever went to get the ball and it hit the glove hard enough to loosen it or cause it to fall off(i know it sounds stupid but trust me ot happens). it wont happen anymore cause your index finger will help the glove stay snug on your hand :sunglasses:

10 years to the day since the last post. Impressive and welcome to the SDMB.

Moderator Action

Welcome to the SDMB, carson08.

We tend to refer to old threads that have been revived like this as zombies, so don’t be surprised if you see a few zombie jokes.

Threads about sports now belong in our game room, which did not exist when this thread was created. Let’s bunt this thread over to there.

Moving thread from General Questions to The Game Room.

Zombies like birthday cake too.

I watched gary sheffield do this one of the few times he played the outfield with detroit. My buddy, who played college baseball, said it gave the glove slightly more of extension for a ball that may be hit a little to high, but who knows.

This is why I did it – a little more padding. My glove did not have a hole. I played a little at third and short.

Really? I played a zombie at Fourth and Main.

I was once privy to a discussion of this between three ex-pros, but I’ll be damned if I can remember any of the arguments.

Then I believe we have met.

I have played a ton of sandlot baseball in my life and I have never felt the glove to be more comfortable with the index finger out. Even back in my day, it was considered cool to wear it with the finger out and of course I tried it too but I never liked the feel.