The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM

Heath Bar versus Skor Bar?

What is the difference between a Heath bar and a Skor bar? Both are chocolate covered toffee. Both are made by Hershey's. Why have both?
Advertisements  
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Buy one of each and compare them.

See how that works? Hershey just sold TWO candy bars!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 PM

I love both of those bars.

If you look at the ingrediants they are pretty much the same. But I can taste a difference in them. One is more nutty-toffey-ey and one is more buttery-toffey-ey. I forget which is which.

When I am in the mood for one of them I usually buy both. Damnit now I am in the mood for them.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:14 PM
BANNED

This article, which doesn't answer your question, details minute differences in the two, but has the annoying benefit of little squares where apostrophes should go.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
BANNED

The linked article mentions that Heath used to be two squares, but changed to one when Skor appeared and didn't change back, but I could swear I had a Heath not long ago that was in two pieces, and not due to breakage.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:52 PM

I always thought Heath was milk chocolate over toffee, while Skor was dark chocolate over toffee, but I haven't had a Skor in a long time, so I may be remembering incorrectly...
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 PM

I am not familiar with either of these bars, but why don't you just read the ingredients on both of them to compare. Hmmm, dark chocolate sounds more healthy too.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 PM
BANNED

My unscientific impression was always that Skor bars had a slightly thicker coating on it of the chocolate-like material that Hershey uses.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
but has the annoying benefit of little squares where apostrophes should go.
As an aside, this is just because like many sites, this one failed to specify in the HTML the encoding that they used when creating the source text. If you manually change your browser to Western European encoding, all of the special characters they used will appear.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

The Straight Dope:

Hershey wanted a candy bar to compete with the Heath Bar. So (since candy bar recipes can't be copyrighted or patented), they created Skor. The idea was to make a candy bar as much like a Heath Bar as possible.

A few years later, Hershey bought out Heath and started manufacturing Heath Bars. However, they continued to make Skor for those who profess to find a difference in the two.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerowyn
As an aside, this is just because like many sites, this one failed to specify in the HTML the encoding that they used when creating the source text. If you manually change your browser to Western European encoding, all of the special characters they used will appear.
Interesting! I think I saw one before that had question marks instead of apostrophes.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
The Straight Dope:

Hershey wanted a candy bar to compete with the Heath Bar. So (since candy bar recipes can't be copyrighted or patented), they created Skor. The idea was to make a candy bar as much like a Heath Bar as possible.

A few years later, Hershey bought out Heath and started manufacturing Heath Bars. However, they continued to make Skor for those who profess to find a difference in the two.

And I can't find either of them! And thats my favorite "thing I shouldn't eat". Both Heath and Skor. I think they put nut fragments in Skor, above the toffee and below the chocolate. I haven't have either in a few years! <sobbing>.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 PM
BANNED

I bet you could find someone willing to send you Heaths or Skors if you offer something up in trade.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Skor was my favorite but I haven't seen it in a while. I think Skor was thinner and didn't have nut bits. I used to eat all the chocolate off first, then I'd eat the toffee.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 PM

Yeah. Where do you live, BrassyPhrase?

Last edited by Baffle; 05-17-2007 at 11:27 PM..
Old 05-18-2007, 10:23 AM

MPSIMS moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E
Skor was my favorite but I haven't seen it in a while. I think Skor was thinner and didn't have nut bits. I used to eat all the chocolate off first, then I'd eat the toffee.
I did that with Heath bars. My mom makes an excellent trifle-type chocolatey dessert that is topped with crumbled SKOR.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E
I second this description. The Skor toffee is also a little richer, IMO. At least it used to be.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthous
I always thought Heath was milk chocolate over toffee, while Skor was dark chocolate over toffee, but I haven't had a Skor in a long time, so I may be remembering incorrectly...
Nope, I just happened to be eating a Skor bar right now.

It's definitely milk chocolate. It says so right on the wrapper.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:41 PM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
This article, which doesn't answer your question, details minute differences in the two, but has the annoying benefit of little squares where apostrophes should go.
Interesting. Heath has trans-fats, Skor does not.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Just finished a taste test

The two are very similar, which makes sense because Hershey was essentially trying to copy the Heath bar.

The chocolate used is indistinguishable to my taste buds... I'm sure it's just generic Hershey milk chocolate.

But the toffee does differ. The Skor bar has a more buttery flavor to the toffee, with less of a nut presence.

The Heath bar has a more nutty flavor, and less butter.

I love them both, and would gladly buy either.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Zombie!! but with chocolate.

mmmmmm
Old 06-10-2011, 02:33 PM

To eat something that will make you forget both Heath and Skor exist at all, try the Buttercrunch made in my hometown by Dorothy Cox's. They boil the butter and sugar batch by batch in big copper kettles, pour it out on a table and cut it by hand before running it along the chocolate enrobing conveyer. (Yes, they hold an open house/back roon tour once a year. With free samples!)

This stuff is better than any mass produced candy you'll ever eat.

Dorothy Cox's Chocolates
Old 06-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Skor is a great name for a candy bar, imo.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methyl Ethyl Death View Post
Zombie!! but with chocolate.

mmmmmm
Why the zombie jokes already? Just because it took four years to finish the taste test doesn't mean that the testing process wasn't done with rigor and thoroughness, always with the final goal of immediately returning to the 'Dope to report the long-awaited outcome.

When I was on the Nimitz, I had the habit of regularly heading up to the ship's store (they had a little tiny 7-Eleven kind of store onboard) to buy four Skor bars at a time, and then I would munch them down in a single sitting. Yum!

And I didn't have to lift a finger in order to stay slim. Those days are long gone—these days I don't eat Skor bars, and I run many miles trying to hold back the tide.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
Why the zombie jokes already?
Because chocolate-covered zombies are the best kind of zombies.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 PM

I have to admit, eating chocolate covered zombies would be the only time I would consider an eye for an eye, a.k.a. braaaiiinns for chocolate.

minor7flat5, thank you for your service to our great country. I'd buy you a Skor bar anytime!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methyl Ethyl Death View Post
I have to admit, eating chocolate covered zombies would be the only time I would consider an eye for an eye, a.k.a. braaaiiinns for chocolate.

minor7flat5, thank you for your service to our great country. I'd buy you a Skor bar anytime!
(Aw shucks!)

Give that Skor bar to some person who deserves it more than I . I served in a peacetime military, between wars, with little risk of danger to me. It was like going to college.

I have utmost respect for *real* veterans such as folks who served in the Vietnam era or in the recent wars in Afghanistan or Iraq. I appreciate the note, however.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:38 PM

This thread is so old that I'd forgotten I'd even created it.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM

Skor >>> Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
What is the difference between a Heath bar and a Skor bar? Both are chocolate covered toffee. Both are made by Hershey's. Why have both?
Skor.

"It is better to be the second to market."
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM

I can't speak for Heath V. Skor, but I definitely prefer a Clark Bar over its poor imitation, Butterfinger.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn View Post
This link should have a longer shelf life.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
I can't speak for Heath V. Skor, but I definitely prefer a Clark Bar over its poor imitation, Butterfinger.
Is that a real Clark Bar, or an Illinois Clark Bar?

They used to have a factory in Pittsburgh, and the ones made there tasted much better than their Illinois counterparts. Heavenly. We assumed it was because the local bars were fresher.

Butterfingers aren't bad. I'd rather have a fresh Butterfinger than a stale old Illinois Clark Bar.

Now you got me wanting a Clark Bar.