The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:53 PM

Bad Neighbors are here under Section 8. How can I get them kicked out?

A month or two ago, I posted about inconsiderate neighbors driving us crazy, soliciting advice on how to handle them. Since then I've been keeping records of police calls, and corresponding every police call with a HOA call. They're still as awful as ever.

I knew then that they were renters (courtesy of the state Tax Assessor's website). What I did not know until today is that they are there under HUD Section 8 Assistance for low-income families.

The social liberal in me feels a pang of guilt that I have been trying to bring a hammer down on low-income renters who likely need any assistance they can get. But there's a larger, less noble, part of me that sees this as an added avenue to get them evicted and out of my neighborhood. It says I'm paying nearly $1800 per month in mortgage, treating the neighborhood like it's worth $1800 per month, and they're likely renting at no more than $400 per month, and subsequently treating the neighborhood like it's worth no more than $400 per month.

Googling brings up a lot of information about what Section 8 renters can do if the landlord is not providing quality housing, and what landlords can do if the renters are destroying the house or not paying their rent. It doesn't bring up so much information about what neighbors can do if they feel having the Section 8 renters in their neighborhood is at the detriment of property values and the peace and quiet and, well, society of the neighborhood.

I have found a description of Section 8 "Family Obligations" (warning: PDF), apparantly outlining 24 CFR 982.551 (which I can't seem to find on public search engines, and I don't have Lexis access) that, among other things, obligates them to not "b) Commit any serious or repeated violations of the lease. (IE: non-payment or late payment of rent, poor housekeeping, disturbing the peaceful enjoyment of neighbors etc.)," pretty much flying in the face of my repeated complaints, and also obligates them to faithfully and punctually represent all changes in residents within the unit. The house appears to have a revolving door, and the neighborhood rumor mill indicates that one person on the Section 8 Agreement lives elsewhere with her boyfriend, not in the home itself.

Other than continuing to build a case with 911 incident calls for noise violations and alerting the HOA when I do so, what more can I do to kick these bums out of my neighborhood?
Advertisements  
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Have you brought this up with the property owner?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords
Have you brought this up with the property owner?
Not yet. The only info I have on the owner is a PO Box. While a letter (especially certified) has greater accountability, it also has a certain lack of intimacy. I'd rather I and some neighbors (and the neighbor who told us the Bad Neighbors are there on the Federal dime called the police twice during a Memorial Day party yesterday, besting our effort of once) bring a good case to the HOA, and the HOA have a bit more authority to make the owner hurt.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 AM

If you want the tenants gone, and don't care about pissing off the property owner, file a complaint in writing directly with the HUD/Section 8 people in your area, and follow up with that complaint to the point of annoyance. I used to work for a property management company that accepted Section 8, and that's what we had to do to get some of our problem tenants evicted - take away their funding. Generally, landlords will ignore all kinds of crap from Section 8 tenants because they're getting their money no matter what. One memorable family had no utility service (gas, water, or electricity), and the landlord wanted us to call them and see what the problem was to try to help them get re-connected so he could continue to get his money.

I have really mixed feelings about Section 8. Some of the recipients are genuinely in need of housing assistance. Others are just assholes who abuse the welfare system.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:48 AM

Chances are that the HOA is not going to be able to do very much except levy fines against the owner for any specific rules violations but you should still make sure they know what is going on. In your place I'd contact the property owner with your documented list of incidents and problems, copying the HOA and HUD. I'd also get other neighbors to sign it or send their own so that everyone involved can see that it's not just you.

I went through a similar situation that lasted more than a year before the tenants from hell finally moved to another property and we got back to a nice, normal neighborhood.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Mostly Dead
apparantly outlining 24 CFR 982.551 (which I can't seem to find on public search engines, and I don't have Lexis access)

This is the text that I got when I searched the Code of Federal Regulations for 24CFR 982.551.

You don't need Lexis Nexis to access the CFR, FYI.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM

How about giving them a large sum of money so that they no longer qualify as low-income?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The social liberal in me feels a pang of guilt that I have been trying to bring a hammer down on low-income renters who likely need any assistance they can get.
Screw that. Just because they are low income doesn't mean that they can be irresponsible without repercussions. Consider this; A far more responsible family may be on the waiting list for that very same section 8 housing.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCarmen
Screw that. Just because they are low income doesn't mean that they can be irresponsible without repercussions. Consider this; A far more responsible family may be on the waiting list for that very same section 8 housing.
The guilt has completely gone after I suffered a bout of insomnia last night thanks to them. I went to bed at 11:30, and they were loitering outside, talking loudly enough that it distracted me in my bedroom, but quietly enough that they wouldn't be outside the 50' radius of the noise ordinance. Eventually, I got to bed at 2am or so.

It was pretty well gone yesterday evening, after I recalled the matron of this dysfunctional family bitching to new (unassisted) renters who moved in next door because the new people had the audacity to want to park right in front of their unit, which is also partially right in front of the Bad Neighbors' unit*. Bad Neighbor Matron effectively forced the new renters to displace us directly in front of our unit, and make our first introduction to the new renters (very nice people) a dispute.

*These are townhouses that each one is guaranteed two spaces in front of their block of townhouses, but each house is itself only about 1.75 parking spaces wide (they're small townhouses and fairly generous width parking). Bad Neighbors only have about one and a half parking spaces in front of theirs, and nice next door renters have about one and a half more. We have nearly two full directly in front of ours.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:52 AM

You might want to check and see if your locale has a nuisance property law. At one of our Neighborhood Association (not an HOA) meetings our police department liaison explained that, in Milwaukee, if a property has 3 complaints for nuisance violations within a 30 day period it will be labeled a nuisance property. This means that any further calls that result in the police or fire department responding to that property will be billed to the property owner. I think it was a few hundred dollars per incident. That would probably get the owners attention.

(I am pretty sure that the 3 complaints had to include a response from the department. You couldn't just make up complaints. Well, I guess you could but I think the violation had to be still going on when they arrived. Hmmm... I think I should check out how this works again. Not that I need it. When my neighbors are too loud I go over and talk with them and the problem is usually solved.)
Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 AM

HUD is most likely just going to tell you to contact the Housing Authority. If you stlil want to call, ask the receptionist to look up the project manager in charge of *that particular project* (the apartment should have a name). I'd give as little information as possible because the receptionist's incentive is to transfer you to the housing authority...you can leave the PM a message. I don't know if they will call back but they might at least look into it. Do not, under any circumstance, ask to speak with the lawyers or you will automatically be transferred to the local Housing Authority. HUD attorneys only structure the financial payouts for all these programs-they don't work on complaints.

I haven't read the original thread but if they're being disruptive they're in violation of the HUD lease-but that's between the landlord and the tenant. It is impossible for you to enforce it.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM

Oh, and ps, you can get whatever you want on HUDCLIPS

HUD online form and regs website
Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM

During a period of time when I was in school (single parent, three kids, yadah, yadah, yadah) we recieved housing assistance through the HUD/Section 8 Housing Assistance program. It was for our family, simply put, a life saver. If not for Section 8, we would have been homeless. There were a lot of hoops to jump through to get Section 8, a year long waiting list, and lots of hoops to jump through to keep Section 8 housing. It always amazed me that there were people who were receiving Section 8 assistance who acted like they just didn't care. (Several of our neighbors had been Section 8 recipients.)

I can completely understand your frustration at having neighbors who just don't care about themselves, or others, however, I must say that I doubt that anything will come of notifying HUD/Section 8. One year, during my yearly review at Section 8, I talked with my caseworker about our neighbors, who I knew for a fact were receiving Section 8. At the time, HUD had a clause that illegal drug use on the property was cause for a family to be eliminated from the Section 8 property, and I expressed my frustration that my neighbors would sit on the front porch and smoke pot, with the wind blowing the smoke into my livingroom if the windows were open. (No AC, so the windows had to be opened, or the house was suffocating.) The caseworker basically shrugged her shoulders and said that Section 8 couldn't do anything about it--even though the police had been called to the house several times (domestic violence, the pot, etc.).

I wish I had an answer, but at this point, I wouldn't put all my faith on HUD doing a damn thing.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:03 PM

HUD still has drug clauses in the Section 8 leases. The model ones are online and they're used by all s8 landlords.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

I think you really need to get the landlord involved in this. It might not have any effect (he doesn't live there, and might not care who he's renting to), but he might also be concerned about his property, go in to check on it, find damage and kick them out himself. He needs to know that his business is making trouble for neighbours, at any rate.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Talk to the landlord and keep calling the cops when something goes down. The landlord has an interest in insuring that the property is maintained and that nothing is getting damaged. If he sees that violations are occurring, he may kick them out.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Be careful!

Once they find out WHO is complaining, you may well be on the receiving end of some serious harassment! also, be aware that drug use is NOT a reason to evict somebody (in many states, drug addiction is a disability).
Tread carefully!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c
(in many states, drug addiction is a disability).
Are you serious? I can't believe it. Are you serious?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I've been wondering for quite some time: What are Sections 1 through 7?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
in many states, drug addiction is a disability
As far as I know, abstinence with an addiction history is a disability and protected; using illegal drugs is merely illegal.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM

It's in Article 23 of the model lease for subsidized programs, actually. This is the one that almost always gets used. I posted the forms for HUD upthread.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink
Okay, I've been wondering for quite some time: What are Sections 1 through 7?
Section 1 is the title, Section 2 is the Declaration of Policy, Section 3 is rental payments and definitions, Section 4 is Loans for Lower Income Housing Projects, Section 5 is Contributions for Lower Income Housing Projects, Section 6 is Contract Provisions and Requirements, and Section 7 is Designated Housing for Elderly and Disabled Families. You can find the complete Housing Act here (in PDF):

http://www.hud.gov/offices/ogc/usha1937.pdf
Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua
Are you serious? I can't believe it. Are you serious?
I've heard similar things regarding employment - if you are an alcoholic or drug addict, you can't be fired for it if you are willing to seek treatment. This is just anecdotal, mind you - I have no hard evidence to back up what I've heard.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 PM

It's part of the ADA.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The ADA and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 affect drug and alcohol policies. Individuals currently engaging in the illegal use of drugs are not "individuals with a disability" when the employer acts on the basis of such use. "Currently" means that the illegal use of drugs "occurred recently enough to justify the employer’s reasonable belief that involvement with drugs is an ongoing problem."

Employers may discharge or deny employment to persons who currently engage in the illegal use of drugs.
Employers may not discriminate against drug addicts who are not currently using drugs and have been rehabilitated or have a history of drug addiction.
Employers may not discriminate against drug addicts who are currently in a rehabilitation program. (The EEOC has clarified that a rehabilitation program includes inpatient or outpatient programs, Employee Assistance Programs, or recognized self-help programs such as Narcotics Anonymous.)
A person who is an alcoholic may be an "individual with a disability" under the ADA.
Employers may discipline, discharge or deny employment to alcoholics whose use of alcohol impairs job performance or conduct to the same extent that such conduct would result in disciplinary action for other employees.
Employees who use drugs and alcohol may be required to meet the same standards of performance and conduct set for other employees.
The ADA does not protect casual drug users; but individuals with a record of addiction, or who are erroneously perceived as being addicts, would be covered by the guidelines.
http://www.dol.gov/asp/programs/drug...s/regs/ada.asp. Emphasis mine.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 PM

King of the Hill covered it well

http://www.tv.com/king-of-the-hill/j...st;ep_title;19

Lawyer: (Putting up a copy of the ADA) This is the Americans with Disabilities Act. It ensures that no person, no matter how disadvantaged, how short or obese or blind or gay or even stoned can be discriminated against once his healing has begun.
Mr. Strickland: Well, right now I'd kill for a big fat blind gay guy if we could just get some dammed work done around here
Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 PM

Several of my neighbours (the ones I like, mostly) are Section 8 beneficiaries. The dicks at the Association just hate it that there is such riff-raff in their reputable development and toil day and night to get rid of them. They often succeed. It can be done. They mostly keep a log of every little gathering of more than 3 people and call the police for every whisper over 24 dB. Once they have enough calls to the police, no matter if they were unfounded, they call the Housing Dept and try to get them out. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapo
Several of my neighbours (the ones I like, mostly) are Section 8 beneficiaries. The dicks at the Association just hate it that there is such riff-raff in their reputable development and toil day and night to get rid of them. They often succeed. It can be done. They mostly keep a log of every little gathering of more than 3 people and call the police for every whisper over 24 dB. Once they have enough calls to the police, no matter if they were unfounded, they call the Housing Dept and try to get them out. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
Oh, please understand that I don't automatically assume that anybody receiving Section 8 Assistance is worthless trash, and if these neighbors were genuinely attempting to be a positive, contributing force to the neighborhood, I'd be perfectly fine with them being my neighbors.

However, these are people I saw fit to complain about long before discovering they are there under Section 8. They are people who have received multiple complaints from a number of ordinary, everyday neighbors, not an association hellbent against the stigma of low-income assistance.

Last edited by Only Mostly Dead; 05-30-2007 at 10:21 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
The only info I have on the owner is a PO Box.
Most locations now have an online webpage where you can search the property tax database, and find info on the actual owner of the property.

DC does. See https://www.taxpayerservicecenter.co...ype=Assessment
Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net
Most locations now have an online webpage where you can search the property tax database, and find info on the actual owner of the property.

DC does. See https://www.taxpayerservicecenter.co...ype=Assessment
In this case, Maryland, actually. And I got the PO Box, and owner's name, from the state tax assessor's website.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 AM

Some people were running a meth lab and dealing meth in a HUD rental house across the street from me. I called the cops, and called the cops, and called the cops. I even told the cops who I let pass through my yard while looking for another meth lab (they were in my yard because they thought I had a meth lab at first ) about the people across the street. Finally there was some sort of a melt down, a wrecked truck in the driveway, people moved out, no cops.

Blissful peace.

One day a short while later, there were several cops in front of my house at lunch. They were looking for the grandson of one of my other neighbors. I don't remember how it came up, but I mentioned that I was glad the people across the street were gone. The cops says, "Yeah, those were some really bad people". I tell him, uuh, that's why I called you guys about 5 dozen times to no avail. He said he wished he knew where they moved to. I knew, the mailman still carried their mail and they lived on the same route. So the cops knew about them, but never made a single move based on my many complaints.

OMD, I had to resort to wearing earplugs. Constant traffic all night every night, doors slamming, music, yelling, you name it. No chance for sleep. They didn't work and could sleep all day and party all night.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM

I once rented an apartment-the tenant above me was an alcoholic lawyer. He 9and hisa friends) made noise all night-one day i was treated to a show-one of his friends had fallen down the stairs (blind drunk) and had to be taken awy to the hospital. I complained and got nowhere-so i decided to file a civil complaint in court. the clerk told me to forget it "don't waste your time"-as an alcoholic ("recovering"), this guy was immune to any civil remedy.
I moved out.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I work in rental property management, and handle these people every day. Once they move in, it is hell to get them to move out. 99% of the ones I've seen are awful people who can work the system. I think the ultimate in chutpah is the Section 8 tenant who complained to the Section 8 people that she didn't have a working stove. Damn right she didn't have a working stove--She had a fire in her kitchen and we were working on getting the insurance claim and the City permits to repair it. She claimed the fire started by itself when she wasn't home.

See how many people are actually living there vs. what Housing has registered as tenants. It's even oddss that they have extra people living there.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, please understand that I don't automatically assume that anybody receiving Section 8 Assistance is worthless trash, and if these neighbors were genuinely attempting to be a positive, contributing force to the neighborhood, I'd be perfectly fine with them being my neighbors.

However, these are people I saw fit to complain about long before discovering they are there under Section 8. They are people who have received multiple complaints from a number of ordinary, everyday neighbors, not an association hellbent against the stigma of low-income assistance.
Oh, I am not holding this against you at all. I remember your previous thread about them and felt the pain (I have some neighbours like that, except that theirs is a trumpet). I just wanted to let you know that it can be done, but wanted to qualify my experience on the matter. Give them hell and get them outta there.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 AM

I am going through something similar to your situation. Thank you for posting this. It helps to know that I'm not alone. I've been up since 2AM neighbor woke me dead out of my sleep.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM

I'm not giving up. I called police on him 2 times already and I wrote a letter to the section 8 people. I'll just keep trying. Something has got to give. I need my sleep I'm a Mom of 2 one of whom I drive to Kindergarten. one of these days I'm going to get into an accident with my little one's in the back because lack of sleep. I'm also becoming more and more dependent on caffeine to keep me awake. Not good. Sigh.......
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 PM

Disruptive, Noisy from Neighbor's Unauthorize Guest

I'm right now going through the similar situation, and I am not giving up neither. I don't care if I have to report this to HUD, I will get to the bottom of this.
You are dealing with a neighbor (someone who is a resident) at your neighborhood. I am dealing with unauthorize guests (people who are not on the lease) , and is here on a daily basic making noise all night.

I live in low income section 8 housing. Since our housing are being help pay by the government, they have very strict rules & regulations. Clearly one rule said that if anyone going to have long term overnight guests, they must report this to the housing manager/owner and let them know. Overnight guests are not allow to stay after the limitation or else they will become "unauthorize occupant" and this is against the lease.

My neighbor across from me for the past one week bring home 3 guests and let they live in her apartment. Guests including a dad, mom and an infant baby who crying on and off all night. What worst is my neighbor did Not report this to the housing authorities, that means she already break the rules.

I told her that if she have guests stay overnight she suppose to let the manager knows. Ha! She give me the attitude like it her apartment, she can have anyone to live in. This is a big wrong! You rent low income housing to live in, it is not your property. She also say "this family are going to stay with her until they find a house", this is also a big No No, because it give an impression that she have the intention of letting this family shelter in her house until they find a place to live. And this is also big No, because you live in government housing, it is not your own home.

I went to report her to the manager, I ask the manager to check into her guests and make sure she follow the lease. Manager are checking into this.

"Guests" are someone who live at another address coming over to visit you. These 3 people she have in her house currently have no home, so they staying with her until they find a house. The housing authorities said these guests are "Unauthorize" because she never report to the housing.
And if she cannot show proof of these guests current address, then she just giving them shelter.

Got this when searching around:
"If you do not have an unauthorized occupant...you should gather evidence to show that the person does not live with you. Examples of this type of evidence include the following:

A copy of that person's lease showing where they do live.
A copy of that person's driver's license with an address clearly indicated.
Copies of the outside of envelopes addressed to that person, such as utility bills, car payments, or credit card bills.
A signed statement by the person that says he or she does not live with you and giving his or her actual address.
Once you have the evidence, write a letter to the housing authority and explain the situation."

I think this is what the neighbor needs to prove to the housing. And if she cannot prove that then her 3 guests cannot stay there anymore unless they on the lease. I hope this solve soon, I want my peace back. There is a big difference between hearing a baby crying all night from someone who is a Legal Tenant, and hearing crying all night from someone who are "Unauthorize" guests. Clearly she is abuse the housing system by thinking she can shelter them until they find a house. With 2 adults and an infant crying baby, certainly sooner or later, other neighbors will notice and report them.

I hope this solve out soon, and if these guests are Not leaving after their time is up, I think I have to find HUD to get HUD solve it for me.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 AM

Eileen,
Why are you so obsessed with what guests visit your neighbor? Frankly, unless a neighbor is doing something violent or dangerous, I have my own life to keep me occupied with, I dont need to occupy my time spying on neighbors, and monitoring what guests they have over.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 AM

Tollhouse, maybe you did not read my complete post?
1) I don't care what guests they have. As long as they keep their guests quiet after the hours so the whole neighbor can sleep.
2) You say I spy on them and without proof, I can sue you for slander me. I live in section 8, no need to spy, we are wall to wall, we can hear our neighbors whether we want to or not.

3) Section 8 are pays by tax payer money, if you getting section 8, you better goes by the rules, don't abuse it.
4) This is not their guests. This is my neighbor give them shelter until they find a home. Her guests are 3 people, including an infant baby that cries all night and not letting people sleep. Can I bring in a baby next wall to your apartment and let it cries on and off all night? Let me see how you feel.
5) I hope you know the difference between a legal resident that lives there, and "unauthorize" guests.

6) If their time is up, and they cannot show proof of their real address, they will be "unauthorize occupant", and that is a big No, when you live in section 8. Section 8, you rent the apartment, it is not your property, what make you think you have the rights to let people live with you until they find a house?
7) Here in California, when you have a infant baby, you can get welfare. Even if the father lost his job, he can get unemployment. This 3 guests can easily go apply for welfare and get helps especially with a baby. That if they are U.S citizen or is permanent residents here in USA.

8) I am Vietnamese and the neighbor of mine is also Vietnamese. And I can tell you how Asian people is, they bring people over to live, lying through marriage to get U.S passport to come here to USA. Working undertable get pay cash so they can avoid pay taxes. I'm not saying my neighbor's guests are doing this, I am giving you example of what I know in my own community.

9) What if, I say IF ok, my neighbor's guests are just people that just come from Vietnam, and have no where to stay and just staying at her apartment until they find a place. Here in section 8, you cannot do that. That is illegal, because if anything happen to that 3 guests while on this section 8 property, who going to be responsible? You Tollhouse, you be responsible for them?
10) If guests want to live in section 8, fine, get them on the lease, go through background check. And if you are legal residents or U.S citizens, I welcome them and their annoying crying baby with open arms. Until they prove that, they are not legal residents here in section 8.

Last edited by Eileen-; 03-08-2013 at 03:00 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen- View Post
I can sue you for slander me.
You can sue the pope in a paternity suit if you want to, but that doesn't mean you're likely to win.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 AM

Eileen,

yea, what i said was that ** I ** dont need to spend my time spying on neighbors. You said you knew how many guests she had and exactly when they arrived etc. Frankly I would be more worried about a neighbor paying **that** much attention to other neighbors lives, than anything else.....I would be concerned about a neighbor that somehow knew my every move like that, **

if you spend all your time obsessing about whatever your neighbor does, you will remain miserable and unhappy. Why not invite your **own** friends over,...that way you will be having too much fun to care what neighbor has what guests over...

Last edited by Tollhouse; 03-08-2013 at 04:20 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 AM

Argue with you is useless.
I know when they arrive because it is housing, we live wall to wall, and the baby is crying throughout the night. You see, now is 2AM and I am still up, the baby just cry again 30 minutes ago.
I notice when they come is the night when the baby crying.
I don't need to spy on them, read what I write. This is housing, the wall is thin.
And, have some manners, if baby going to cry all nights, at least shut the windows. So all the neighbors around won't hear as much, and at least keep other neighbors dogs from barking because of the baby cries.
Maybe you should come to live in section 8, and then you know how other people feel. And the OP posters here are also complaining about her noisy section 8 neighbors too.
And since you love to give other shelters so much, maybe you should give my neighbors guest shelter until they find a house. But becareful though, if anything happened to them while they in your home, you be responsible.
And this is my last post reply to you. I already take actions on this, and the issue is being investigate.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 AM
BANNED

I would suggest to the OP and Eileen-: MYOB. Remember, it isn't a crime to be poor, although you would think so considering how the poor are treated.

Since the OP still comes here from time to time, I think an update is in order.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I live in low income section 8 housing. Since our housing are being help pay by the government, they have very strict rules & regulations. Clearly one rule said that if anyone going to have long term overnight guests, they must report this to the housing manager/owner and let them know. Overnight guests are not allow to stay after the limitation or else they will become "unauthorize occupant" and this is against the lease.
Yes, a Section 8 tenant can get kicked off of Section 8 and kicked out of the apartment for having unauthorized guests like this. This happened to my next-door neighbor about a year ago.

The neighbor himself was mentally ill, and often disruptive and noisy. Some of his "guests" caused trouble, but most did not. It was the tenant himself who was more of a problem. (ETA: Actually, I thought some of his "guests" did more good than harm, because they were more sane than the tenant, and saw to it that he ate better, and saw to it that he took his meds. When those guests were there, it would have been better if the authorities had looked the other way.)

Still, he kept having guests, and he eventually got kicked out because of it.

In a way, I sort of feel his social worker let him fall through the cracks. The guy is mentally ill and not really able to manage his own affairs. He has (or had?) a conservator, I think, who managed all his affairs. All his bills -- rent, utilities, medicines, whatever -- got paid for him. Since he was not competent to run his own life (IHMO), and had a conservator to do that (I think), the conservator or social worker should have taken the responsibility somehow. That's the whole idea of a conservator.

So what should the conservator or social worker have done? I think the guy needed to be in some kind of supervised living home of some sort. A social worker should have gotten him there. Instead, I think they just left him to his own devices, to hang himself. What kind of solution is it, to kick a guy like that off of Section 8? I think he's been couch surfing with other people since then. Now HE's the "unauthorized guest", in all probability.

Last edited by Senegoid; 03-08-2013 at 05:17 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySwamps View Post
I would suggest to the OP and Eileen-: MYOB. Remember, it isn't a crime to be poor, although you would think so considering how the poor are treated.

Since the OP still comes here from time to time, I think an update is in order.
Try actually reading the OP before commenting. The OP is minding his own business. The neighbors are actively disrupting his life. If they were Section 8, he'd be complaining to their landlord.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCarmen View Post
This.
Do you have any idea how long the waiting list is for HUD housing?
Let your tax dollars go to help people who appreciate they help they receive and have respect for themselves and their neighbors.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM

My reply here as noted,is just in reply to Eileen,...not the op. All i have to say is....wow. I was curious about the laws on section 8 and havingan overnight guest. So....i. googled section 8 overnight guests allowed....and wow. The first thing it brought up was a page of forums, and as i glanced at a couple of them, to see what it said re the laws, I noticed Eileen has multiple posts in other forums, including one for real estate, landlord issues. On this thread, she said how her neighbors guests had only been there a matter of days and she had actually called the police because of a crying baby. **sigh**.........as i read it, there were alot of property owners or landlords, etc replying to Eileen, tripping out over how she would first of all, concern herself with her neighbor having a few family members over for a short time, they tripped out over her calling the cops for a crying baby, and noted the tenant at least so far has not violated any rules, and the baby? well, police are not there to solve a case of a crying baby.
they finally had to lock the thread after she just kept arguing with others there. they also said the same thing that Eileen, maybe you have too much free time on your hands, this neighbor has only had their family members there a very short time, not even a violation yet, ....

**sigh**

As i said earlier, i would be much more concerned about a neighbor watching me,....than a damm crying baby.

As the posters on the landlord site advised you, maybe it would be more helpful for you to get busy in your own life, take steps to improve your situation so you can have a chance to get out from being on sec 8, and perhaps get mental health counseling, they gave you the number.

As they pointed out Eileen, if you are this upset over a nieghbor having their parents and a baby stay overnight for a week, what will you do if a truly bad neighbor moves in? As they pointed out, section 8 housing can have alot more serious neighbor problems than a crying baby.

All that to say, the landlords there are experienced and tried to offer you constructive advice. at this point, their not doing anything illegal, ....buy some ear plugs or a wite noise machine to help you sleep at night.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
In a way, I sort of feel his social worker let him fall through the cracks. The guy is mentally ill and not really able to manage his own affairs. He has (or had?) a conservator, I think, who managed all his affairs. All his bills -- rent, utilities, medicines, whatever -- got paid for him. Since he was not competent to run his own life (IHMO), and had a conservator to do that (I think), the conservator or social worker should have taken the responsibility somehow. That's the whole idea of a conservator.

So what should the conservator or social worker have done? I think the guy needed to be in some kind of supervised living home of some sort. A social worker should have gotten him there. Instead, I think they just left him to his own devices, to hang himself. What kind of solution is it, to kick a guy like that off of Section 8? I think he's been couch surfing with other people since then. Now HE's the "unauthorized guest", in all probability.
A social worker can't just put their clients into assisted living. In that guy's case, the social worker could at most try to clear a path through the weeds and make staying in that house an easier option for him. Mental illness is a hell of an obstacle, though. And it alone, even if it drives you to homelessness, doesn't give anyone the ability to make your decisions for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
2) You say I spy on them and without proof, I can sue you for slander me.
Oh yeah, you're going to fit in well around here.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I wonder how many Tollhouses are in the phone book? And which phone book should we look in?
Closed Thread