Velveeta

Good username by the way, Velveeta.

You know, I should be ashamed of myself but…I love this crap. Velveeta. Makes one hell of a grilled cheese sammich, but it’s not bad all by itself. I can remember as a kid eating a 2 or 3-inch slab when I’d get home from school. Heaven on earth is rotini noodles, peas & carrots, tuna fish (packed in water of course, that oily stuff is nas-tee) all swirled together in a nice Velveeta sauce.

By itself though? Amazing. The squishy texture should be enough to counter any sort of hunger, and yet, with a large glass of iced sweet tea, mmmmmmmmunchy.

Haven’t had it in years, pretty much a Tillamook sharp cheddar man myself (very non-velveeta-like) these days. But the grocery store is on the way home…

And it’s classy stuff too. I have often wanted to entertain guests with a Velveeta and MD 20/20 party. In the back yard, of course.

I like it. But then I have the gustaroty sophistication of a two year old.

Do they still make Cheez Whiz?

If you don’t throw this party in the garage (with the door open), just don’t bother.

I used to so enjoy it as a child. My sweet mother would put a slice on toast and cook it under the broiler until it turned a golden brown. The fond memories of childhood complete with taste and smell.

Why, yes, yes they do.

And it makes GREAT trout bait!

If you invite me. I’ll bring ants on a log.

Dude…just grit your teeth and douse your “log” with kerosene. It’ll get rid of those pesky “ants.”
:stuck_out_tongue:

My wife is literally one of the top cheese experts in the U.S. if not the world (supplier to all the important customers, consultant to food magazines, and she is the only female ever inducted into a 500 year old secret French cheese guild). We always have many top cheeses at our house but we also have two young daughters.

I had to fight with my wife about allowing Kraft American and Velveeta in our house once our 4 year old would demand a real grilled cheese several times a week. I won by telling her to think of it just as Velveeta and not cheese and it is just good at what it does. That seemed to work for everyone. My next battle is to try and convince her to stop buying gourmet macaroni and cheese shit. Kraft is far superior and always has been regardless of what they sell at a higher price at Whole Foods.

When I was a kid, and went to stay with my mother’s parents, grandma would buy Velveeta and corn chips and let me make nachos in the evenings. It was the closest either grandma ever came to spoiling me–I loved it.

I’m a bit of a foodie, and I have to agree with you here. A grilled cheese should be made with lots of butter, crappy American white bread (Wonder, Holsum, that sort), and Kraft singles. Velveeta I prefer in my mac & cheese. Even when I’m making slightly upmarket mac and cheesy, I usually use Velveeta as my solvent, instead of a bechamel. I do like the typical powder mac & cheese, but I kinda prefer the Velveeta cheesy shells.

Plus, you can make fudgewith Velveeta !!

You can’t make good chili con queso dip with a fine block of high-end cheddar cheese and gourmet chili that won the first prize at the chili cookoff. You need canned Hormel chili and Velveeta to get the consistency and flavor just right. Save the good cheese and chili for other meals!

I find this works much better than thinking of it as “american process cheese food.” Of course, it’s not even the later, but a “cheese product.” Still, there are some things it works very well for, and for those it’s a better choice than cheese.

I have had this before. It tastes OK but it’s just wrong in so many ways.

Hi, my name is LVGeogeek and I purchase Velveeta. Only on occasion, and only to make mac & cheese. I swear. :smiley:

I could eat this by the tub. Velveet’a’s good too. On an international note, I had a Japanese girlfriend that adored Cheez Whiz. Apparently they dont have it in Japan.

The texture always turned me off. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten it except in sauces and dips.

The only time I ever answered all 15 questions right in a round of trivia in a bar was when all the questions were about cheese. I would like to be your wife’s disciple. Is she taking disciples right now?

But you’re right, she should let your girls have Velveeta and singles.

I’m a pretty good cook, and I like making interesting dishes, but sometimes, if no one is around, I dump a bunch of Velveeta and a package of frozen spinach in a saucepan and heat it up till it’s all melty and pour it over pasta. When I eat it, I am as happy as when I was six and had only to worry about whether I would be allowed to go swimming the next day.

I like peanut butter-and-Velveeta sandwiches. With chunky peanut butter, o’ course.