defrosting bread so it's edible??

So I live alone (not for much longer, though!!! Super-excited since my long-distance boyfriend is moving in with me on Tuesday. It’s hard to concentrate.)

Okay, I’ll try again.

I live alone and tend to freeze bread since I can’t finish a whole loaf before it spoils, even if I keep it in the fridge. This also applies to things like bagels, hot dog buns, etc. Anyway, I find that the best way to defrost it is the toaster, but honestly, this is lacking since I can’t eat a plain, non-toasted sandwich after the loaf’s gone into the freezer. (Toast just doesn’t hold up for lunch at work.) The other option is the microwave (for hamburger buns and the like), but this leaves the bread stale and a bit rubbery in my opinion. I’ve heated baguettes, etc. in the oven with good results, but that’s not always practical.

So, the point is, what’s your method for making previously-frozen bread edible sans toasting?

I always freeze my bread, too, and I find that if I’m taking a frozen bread sandwich for lunch, it’s beautifully thawed by lunchtime all on its own. If I need quicky defrosting, I pop it in the toaster on the lowest setting and it’s mostly just defrosted, and not too toasted. I also use the microwave for a very short time - it does get dry very quickly in there. If I can remember, I take the bread I need out earlier and just let it defrost naturally. That doesn’t happen very often.

I usually defrost frozen bread by popping it in the fridge (then leaving it in there).

I take the bread out of the freezer and put it on the counter (the whole bag). It seems that it won’t get mouldy as fast once it’s been frozen so the loaf will last a good four or five days out of the freezer. If you can’t use up a loaf in that time, I suggest you freeze half a loaf in a freezer bag.

I wrap my bread/buns in a paper towel and zap in the micro for 20-30 seconds (usually 20 for 2 pieces of bread, 30 for a kaiser-type roll). The paper towel seems to help “steam” it and keep it from getting rubbery.

I used to thaw frozen bread in the refrigerator, but often found that the bottom half of the loaf went stale very quickly. I have since taken to leaving the bread in the fridge upside down, with much better results.

Buy smaller loaves of bread?

Or wait until your boyfriend moves in – the problem could take care of itself.

Yes, the answer is plan ahead and remove it from the freezer ahead of time - allowing it to thaw naturally. Anything else will inevitably be a compromise (mind you, freezing bread is itself a compromise)

jjimm tip! Take two (or however many slices you want) off the end of the frozen loaf, replace the loaf in the freezer, and put the slices in a ziploc baggie. Expel all the air (very important) and seal up. Leave for an hour. If you want them really quickly, leave for about fifteen minutes, then open the bag and turn them so the frozen sides are on the outside, reseal and wait another 15 minutes.

Extra hint: if you’re making a sandwich for later on, you don’t even need to defrost the bread. Simply make the sandwich using frozen bread, put into your ziploc baggie, expel all the air, seal it and put it in your Flintstones® lunchbox, and it’ll be a perfectly edible sarnie by lunchtime.

Ugh. I hate previously frozen bread. It’s just not right. Buy fresh bread (there’s always something on sale at the grocery store), then once it starts drying out, toast it and make breadcrumbs or croutons out of it (you can keep them in a ziploc or tupperware), or feed it to the birds.

Like kaylasdad99 says, your boyfriend will probably take care of this problem, anyway.

And if breadstuffs do go stale, you can somewhat revive them by wrapping them in a wet paper towel and microwaving them.

Thanks all. I’ve never been brave enough to try not defrosting it before making a sandwich or something, but I’ll give it a try.

Yes, I think having two of us will take care of the problem for regular bread, but will still be freezing hamburger buns and such.

It’s much easier to make sandwiches with it when it’s still frozen, too - much easier to spread the butter, miracle whip, whatever. Give it a go - I think you’ll like it!

I freeze bread all the time. I tend to buy a bunch of sandwich bread all at once and pull loaves out of the freezer as I need them. It thaws very, very quickly, to the point that if I find in the morning that I forgot to pull it the night before, I can just take out a couple slices and start making lunch. By the time I’m done making the sammiches, the slices are thawed.