The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Male dog squatting to pee

I have an un-neutered (please do not hijack the thread about this) beagle who is about 1.5 years old. He still squats to urinate. Is this a sign that something could be wrong with him? The vet says no, but we're looking for a new vet, because this one isn't so great. He's never been around a dog who does lift it's leg, so he's never seen it done, if that matters.
Advertisements  
Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 PM

My friend has an 8 year old Jack Russell terrier that does the same thing. Maybe it's easier for shorter legged dogs to do this? There's nothing abnormal about him other than he squats to pee (the dog, not my friend).

Last edited by Pine Fresh Scent; 06-25-2007 at 08:24 PM..
Old 06-25-2007, 08:38 PM

In my experience, every male dog that would squat to pee grew up without a male dog that stood up. Either it was around females, or the males it was around squatted themselves.

I think it might actually be a learned thing.

Or maybe your dog wants to be a bitch?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I have an 8 year old female husky that will lift her leg from time to time. Go figure.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM

The only bad thing about this tendency in a male dog is that it's not good for your lawn.

Trees seem to be tougher than grass in this regard.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 PM

My male lab squats. Then again, he's not allowed to lift his leg, but he's never tried, so he doesn't know he's not allowed to. So yeah, he squats.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 PM

In my experience it's often related to the dominance status; male dogs that are more submissive tend to not lift the leg while alpha females often do. It's not an absolute correlation but it's been a handy clue in evaluating dog personalities. Whatever the reason, it's pretty common so in this case I'd take your vet at his word.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the reassurance everyone.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

We had two male dogs who squatted, but they were both on the fat side (came to us that way as rescues and we never did have any luck getting their weight down). Beagle and cocker spaniel, both neutered.

My (spayed) female shepherd/lab mix is a marker.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 PM

When he really had to go (for the sake of going, not leaving his "messages" around the neighborhood) my male Black Lab would kind of squat, but with one of his hind legs just barely off the ground.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:04 PM

Ya know, when some guys are out in public, they'd rather pee in one of the stalls than in a urinal. Different strokes . . .
Old 06-25-2007, 11:19 PM

Our lab/border collie, who is 9 years old now, still squats most of the time. We got him as a puppy, and he was "second dog" to our cocker mix.

We always figured it was a dominance issue.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

My six-year-old spayed whippet/mutt squats in the yard, but when going out of our territory regularly lifts her leg to mark. I'd previously thought that only male dogs did such.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

My male Boxer hikes his leg when he's marking, but squats when he's draining the lizard. He didn't have a male role model, BTW.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VunderBob
My male Boxer hikes his leg when he's marking, but squats when he's draining the lizard. . .

I have a barrel-chested Rottie who does the same.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:17 AM
See, I had a dog named Bubba
Charter Member

I had a dog who squatted for four years. Then one day we had a visiting male dog in our yard who hiked one up next to the tree.

After that my dog always hiked. And if he was in the back yard he ALWAYS peed in exactly the same place on that tree as the other dog. I think that he was driven by territorial pride.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 PM

My neutered beagle mix doesn't even bother to squat. He just stands there and lets it fly which unfortunately has the occasional result of him whizzing all over the back of his front legs. He had no canine role model of any sort as I found him when he was only 5 weeks old.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM

I have a neutered male beagle (very non-dominant and quite anxious, personality-wise) who sometimes just kind of lowers himself to pee. He doesn't really squat - just gets his weiner low enough to miss his front legs, thank goodness. He hasn't had any male canine role models, just his sister who routinely tries to bite the crap out of him.

I had a neutered female beagle a while back who not only lifted her leg, but would actually lift both legs to pee on trees. It looked like she was climbing the tree backwards.

Beagles is weird.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67
We had two male dogs who squatted, but they were both on the fat side (came to us that way as rescues and we never did have any luck getting their weight down). Beagle and cocker spaniel, both neutered.

My (spayed) female shepherd/lab mix is a marker.
He's quite slim and fairly middle of the road, to dominant so that's not it. I guess it's just the lack of a role model.

Good to know that although he's weird, he's got company.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 PM

My male golden retriever was a lifelong squatter. I'm also convinced that he was gay (not just for that), make of it what you will.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Here's a cite about dog urination and lawns. It says that male dogs squat up to a year, and it is learned. Squatting after that is normal.

It also confirms that females are harder on lawns than males, mostly because they go all at once, not a bit at various places. Our male dog has never hurt the lawn, while our female breeder (much bigger than our male) does a number on it.

Do squatting males go all in one place, or do they move around like standing males?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 PM

Sometimes mine goes in one place, and sometime he moves around from spot to spot.

Thanks for the site.

Antinor01, why do you think your dog was gay?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Do squatting males go all in one place, or do they move around like standing males?
My can't-even-be-bothered-to-squat dog will actually wander around while happily peeing away. And while pooping (which he does deign to squat during) he turns in circles. Which makes for a giant mess when he has an accident in the house.

He clearly has elimination issues.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 PM

In a wolf pack, only the alpha male is allowed to lift his leg, so yes, it's got to do with domination. I've read*, that dogs lift their legs to get the urine higher up, spreading the scent further and getting it to snout height for other dogs. The same place mentioned that male dogs urinating is not marking of territory, mor a "Kilroy was here" or tagging.

My boxer lifted his leg when he was 8 months and he sure looked surprised. No one taught him, he just did. He will sorta half squat, though (as mentioned upthread), when there's a spot he really wants to tag, but it's just flat land.

*Some local magazine and I don't have the energy to start looking for a cite.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Here's a cite about dog urination and lawns. It says that male dogs squat up to a year
Wow, their legs must get tired.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-27-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Glory
Antinor01, why do you think your dog was gay?
Mostly it's a joke but he flat refused to be bred. We brought him a female that was in heat, gave them plenty of time to do their thing which she was MORE than willing to do. He wanted nothing to do with it. After we gave up and I took him home he immediately started humping my leg.

Damn dog, pups from his and her pedigree were selling for like $300-500 each.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Maybe it took him a while to get in the mood and thought the bitch was foreplay.

My boys are always humping the shit out of each other. Usually it's Bam on the bottom and Bear on the top making a Dingo sandwich. They love it. Weirdos.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:13 PM

Oh and Bam squats and lets it all go, Bear holds everything for very carefully rationed marking and Dingo mixes it up, but mostly lifts his leg.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM

I have a pit bull ( a very well behaved one) and when he was a pup he squated. then as he got older he started raising his leg. I think after he saw me pee outside one day He hits his front paws some times its kind of gross when he jumps up and his feet are soggy

Last edited by smhanse751; 06-28-2007 at 07:45 PM..
Old 06-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Chick
My can't-even-be-bothered-to-squat dog will actually wander around while happily peeing away. And while pooping (which he does deign to squat during) he turns in circles. Which makes for a giant mess when he has an accident in the house.

He clearly has elimination issues.
Surly Chick,
You must send a video of this dog to movie producers. I'm sure his potty habits would be the high point of the next Will Farrell or Ben Stiller movie.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:40 PM

Toby (my four year old beagle) alternates between squatting and lifting his leg to pee. On one memorable evening, he even lifted his leg to poop. Spot on aim, too -- absolutely nailed a sprinkler head.