The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 AM

Another Moment in Stupidity: I left my car running all night

In what is surely one of the biggest bonehead maneuvers I've pulled off in a very long time, I came outside this morning to realize ... I'd left my car on all night. It was idling in the driveway, headlights on and radio jabbering away. Gas tank is essentially empty, it was running on fumes, but running nonetheless. It's a new car (well, two years old) and I know the sound of its engine well, but it sounded awfully tired when I walked up to it. Not a bad sound, just the sound of an exchausted engine, quiet with no belt whine or anything. It was running for twelve hours straight with essentially all the accessories on. I'm afraid to even start driving it to the gas station out of fear that I won't make it down the block.

My excuse? I came inside last night with my hands full, expecting to go back out to turn the car off and shut the garage door, only to completely forget upon entering the house and getting sidetracked by a dozen other things. That's right, I left the frackin' garage door open all night as well.

I really deserve a good punch on the bracket.
Advertisements  
Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 AM

Well, it's a damn good thing you did leave the garage open all night, or you might not have woken up this morning at all. Leave it open today as well, mm'kay? There's bound to still be a lot of carbon monoxide hanging around. Air it out.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamnesis
My excuse? I came inside last night with my hands full, expecting to go back out to turn the car off and shut the garage door, only to completely forget upon entering the house and getting sidetracked by a dozen other things. That's right, I left the frackin' garage door open all night as well.
Gas must be cheap where you live. I'm trying to figure out why anyone would leave their car running when the trip is finished. Were you planning to go somewhere else after you put the stuff away?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot
There's bound to still be a lot of carbon monoxide hanging around
Heh, I appreciate the concern over the CO fumes, but I it bears mentioning there are two other cars parked in the garage. Like I said, this was on the driveway, so there's no danger of that. Had this been in the garage, you can rest assured I'd have every fan available circulating the air in there with the door wide open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam
Were you planning to go somewhere else after you put the stuff away?
Yeah, sorta. I was weighing the option of going to the grocery store and my hands were full of other stuff being brought in, so I just left it running. Obviously, some ginkgo biloba should be on the grocery list.

Last edited by anamnesis; 06-30-2007 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-30-2007, 10:30 AM

I'm guessing it's no coincidence that your username is an anagram of "amnesians".
Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Heh, I appreciate the concern over the CO fumes, but I it bears mentioning there are two other cars parked in the garage. Like I said, this was on the driveway, so there's no danger of that. Had this been in the garage, you can rest assured I'd have every fan available circulating the air in there with the door wide open.
Of course. You mentioned that in the OP, I just put the intent to go out and close the garage door with the car, and got it all mixed up. Sorry, my Mama Mode was engaged.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 AM

How did you get in the house? My house keys are on the same ring as my car keys....

I feel for you, but I am baffled as to how anyone could do this.

You're lucky someone didn't drive it off.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm
I'm guessing it's no coincidence that your username is an anagram of "amnesians".
The etymology could be related, I'm sure ... "anamnesis" comes from a Greek word expressing recollection or reminiscence of memory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby
How did you get in the house? My house keys are on the same ring as my car keys. I feel for you, but I am baffled as to how anyone could do this. You're lucky someone didn't drive it off.
The inside garage door isn't ever locked unless we go away on a big trip. The overhead garage door is our locked door, so to speak. That being said, yes, I'm lucky someone didn't drive it off, but even more lucky someone didn't enter the house as well. Your bafflement isn't unusual, I'm baffled as to how I could be this absent-minded. Never done it before, and I'm keen on not doing it again.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Keeper of the Bancrook

Suddenly, I feel better.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I once went to a three-hour movie and left my van unlocked and running the whole time. Sitting there in a suburban parking lot. I'm mughty glad it was there when I got back.

StG
Old 06-30-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
This is just what I was thinking.

I'm also surprised that your car could run, for apparantly 12 hours, without running out of fuel. I know idling uses less fuel than actually making the car work, but that's still impressive. Especially since it doesn't seem to have been the case that you'd just filled up before you got home.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

The engine did need running in, didn't it?
Old 06-30-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuLoki
I'm also surprised that your car could run, for apparantly 12 hours, without running out of fuel. I know idling uses less fuel than actually making the car work, but that's still impressive. Especially since it doesn't seem to have been the case that you'd just filled up before you got home.
No, I didn't fill up, and yeah, I was just as surprised also. Had a quarter tank left, maybe less. It's a 2.3L Mazda 3, in case anyone's wondering ... and if I didn't love her so much already, then I guess I love her even more now.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the Club: I'm too young for Alzheimers! I'm too young for ... what was that again?

Unfortunately, I can't remember what day of the month our weekly club meetings are on...
Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

You surely live in a different part of Chicago than what I see in the movies.
My key, a Honda, isn't on a ring. My other keys are, though.
I miss my Audi key, with it's cool foldable feature. Like a switchblade knife. I just felt a wave of sadness.
Peace,
mangeorge
Old 06-30-2007, 02:56 PM

The OP kind of makes me feel better. About a month ago I had to buy a new battery for my car, and after installing the battery left the car running for "just a few minutes." As I was getting ready for bed almost 4 hours later I thought about it and realized I'd never got back out to shut it off. Oops.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah, sorta. I was weighing the option of going to the grocery store and my hands were full of other stuff being brought in, so I just left it running. Obviously, some ginkgo biloba should be on the grocery list.

I guess I don't understand this, either. Your hands were full as you drove up? Before you could reach over and turn the key to 'off'?

My mailman turns his little mail truck off on the 2 second trip from the truck to my box.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Vombatus Moderatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam
Gas must be cheap where you live. I'm trying to figure out why anyone would leave their car running when the trip is finished. Were you planning to go somewhere else after you put the stuff away?
I will never understand people who leave their vehicles (almost always diesels) parked on the main street in town right in front of my bookstore with the engine running while they go into the bar across the street to have a drink or two. Someone did that yesterday for over an hour. It's 75 degrees out there. Are they worried it won't start again?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuLoki
This is just what I was thinking.

At idle engines don't burn much fuel. Most Volvos use 13-15 kilograms of air in an hour (this is a spec we can monitor with our diagnostic equipment). At idle the mixture is going to be 14.7:1 by weight of air to fuel. So you are going to burn about a kilo of fuel each hour. Or a tad over 2 lbs. Over twelve hours you will burn about 24 pounds of fuel. A pints a pound (yeah, I know that's for water, but I am too lazy to look it up) and there are 8 pints to the gallon. So about 3 gallons would be consumed by the engine over 12 hours of idling. As engine size has a effect on how much air is used, truly YMMV.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscibo
Your hands were full as you drove up? Before you could reach over and turn the key to 'off'?
No, my hands were full when I went inside as I was in the midst of deciding whether I'd be headed right back out again before becoming preoccupied with a dozen other things, as mentioned in my posts. This wasn't a question of forgetting to remove the key after I'd finished driving the car, it was a failure to remember just before I passed out from exhaustion and went to sleep that I wasn't going to be headed right back out again. If I weren't thinking of going somewhere else, I'd have never left it on to begin with, and the fact it was on just got pushed into the back of my cognitive fridge.

Imagine mowing the lawn, then going inside to get a cool drink, then getting a phone call, realizing while on the phone that you've got to throw some stuff in the recycling bin, coming to the realization there's nothing to eat for dinner, getting sidetracked on moving some stuff out of the way, and so on, and so on. By the time the snowball effect has reached it's apex, you've completely forgotten that the lawnmower is still running outside and it's getting dark out. And then you feel like the biggest idiot in the world and come here to tell everyone about it.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:05 PM

If I had a gasoline-powered lawn mower, I wouldn't leave it running unattended, no.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, my hands were full when I went inside as I was in the midst of deciding whether I'd be headed right back out again before becoming preoccupied with a dozen other things, as mentioned in my posts. This wasn't a question of forgetting to remove the key after I'd finished driving the car, it was a failure to remember just before I passed out from exhaustion and went to sleep that I wasn't going to be headed right back out again. If I weren't thinking of going somewhere else, I'd have never left it on to begin with, and the fact it was on just got pushed into the back of my cognitive fridge.

Imagine mowing the lawn, then going inside to get a cool drink, then getting a phone call, realizing while on the phone that you've got to throw some stuff in the recycling bin, coming to the realization there's nothing to eat for dinner, getting sidetracked on moving some stuff out of the way, and so on, and so on. By the time the snowball effect has reached it's apex, you've completely forgotten that the lawnmower is still running outside and it's getting dark out. And then you feel like the biggest idiot in the world and come here to tell everyone about it.
You're missing the point of what he's saying.

You pull up in the driveway. You put the car in park and while sitting there with nothing in your hands, you decide to grab all your groceries and other stuff and fill up your hands before taking the .5 seconds to turn off the car.
WHY?? Why in the hell would you not put the car in park, then turn it off, then grab all the things that made your hands full, then go inside and pass out from exhaustion.
How does a person park a car and then exit it before turning it off?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno
How does a person park a car and then exit it before turning it off?
Easy: put it in park, open the door, and get out.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

A lot of people will leave the car running while they dash in and drop something off.
It's actually illegal in some communities.
Plus, if one happens to be stoned...
Old 06-30-2007, 07:07 PM

My roommate just got a Prius. She's also kind of a ditz. She came home one afternoon and the neighbor came over to ask her about the car. She showed off the car for him, then closed it and came in the house. She had the next day off and didn't need to drive anywhere. The next morning after that I was out watering plants and heard a strange noise. Odd. It appears my roommate's new car is running.

See, when it's running on electric, it's silent. But I guess after 40+ hours idling on electric it had no choice but to switch to its gas engine.

Doh!

Believe me, I thoroughly enjoyed going to her room and mentioning, "did you know your car is on?"
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon
See, when it's running on electric, it's silent. But I guess after 40+ hours idling on electric it had no choice but to switch to its gas engine. Doh!
Ha! Interesting. That's another thing about cars that are too quiet, particularly the current crop of hybrid electric drivetrains. Much like a high-end luxury vehicle, I can see how the lack of an engine idle on a vehicle running with an electric motor might just be quiet enough for someone to forget it was on in the first place. My situation was a little different (plain old stupidity), but I wonder how many folks have forgotten their cars were even running in the first place because they're so quiet. I've been in Lexuses (Lexii?) and even big Ford trucks that were so quiet at idle, you'd think they were off.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

This is a true story, told to me by the owner of the vehicle. He and his wife live in South Dakota; his daughter and son-in-law live in California. Daughter was expecting; bags were packed, ready to leave on a moments notice. Son-in-law calls, daughter in labor. Guy calls wife, goes home, grabs bags, throws in car and takes off for airport. Stops in front of terminal, wife gets out, guy gets out, grabs bags and follows wife into terminal. Somewhere over Arizona, he realizes he left his car in front of the terminal with the doors open and the engine running. Car is a new Cadillac by the way. His plane lands, he calls security at original airport: Car has been parked in remote lot, keys are in security office: I miss South Dakota.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisB
This is a true story, told to me by the owner of the vehicle. He and his wife live in South Dakota; his daughter and son-in-law live in California. Daughter was expecting; bags were packed, ready to leave on a moments notice. Son-in-law calls, daughter in labor. Guy calls wife, goes home, grabs bags, throws in car and takes off for airport. Stops in front of terminal, wife gets out, guy gets out, grabs bags and follows wife into terminal. Somewhere over Arizona, he realizes he left his car in front of the terminal with the doors open and the engine running. Car is a new Cadillac by the way. His plane lands, he calls security at original airport: Car has been parked in remote lot, keys are in security office: I miss South Dakota.
I would definitely send a friend to collect those keys. Cops, even rent-a-cops, are not gentle in humorous situations. It would take son-in-law guy at least a half-hour od humiliation to get out of there with the keys.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Easy: put it in park, open the door, and get out.
It actually takes more effort to go back into the car and shut it off than just turning it off before getting out. I can't imagine why anyone would get in the habit of leaving a car to do something and then going back to just turn it off. What exactly is the point of doing it like that? You're already sitting there with your hand on the wheel. Just reach over a few inches and turn the car off. Then, exit. How is it more convenient to do it any other way?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Beats me. As an adult, most of my driving years have been on the west coast. It would never occur to me to leave a car running. You shut if off, make sure the windows are rolled up and lock it. Imagine my surprise when I went to Virginia and saw people leaving their cars running, windows down, unlocked, while they popped into a store for a few things. Blew my mind. Of course, a lot of these cars weren't worth stealing, but still. Very strange to me. This was in the mid-late 1990's.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It actually takes more effort to go back into the car and shut it off than just turning it off before getting out. I can't imagine why anyone would get in the habit of leaving a car to do something and then going back to just turn it off. What exactly is the point of doing it like that? You're already sitting there with your hand on the wheel. Just reach over a few inches and turn the car off. Then, exit. How is it more convenient to do it any other way?
Ever had someone sit in their car and jesture for you to come over to talk? Ever done that yourself? Why? Can't get out of the car for some reason?
Same idea, possibly. Makes no sense, but people do it.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm also baffled by this. It is so automatic to me to put the car in park and then turn off the key and take it out, that I can't even imagine being so exhausted that you don't do it without thinking. And I hate that ding-ding noise the car makes when you get out while it is running so much that I will do anything to make it stop. If you were that tired, it is amazing you got home alive. Get some rest!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

In my cse, I sat in my van after arriving at the theatre and chatted with my sisters, since we were early for the movie, then got out and went in wothout shuting off the van. In my defense, my father was dying of cancer, so my mind was elsewhere, and I'm quite hard-of-hearing, so I didn't hear it running.

StG
Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeorge
Ever had someone sit in their car and jesture for you to come over to talk? Ever done that yourself? Why? Can't get out of the car for some reason?
Same idea, possibly. Makes no sense, but people do it.
I can understand that, though. It takes less effort to sit in the car and motion for someone to come over to you. I completely understand people gaining habits out of convenience or laziness or efficiency.

But the strategy of leaving the car running, carrying your groceries into the house and then returning to the car to turn it off??? That makes no sense at all!

Even though silly, I could understand (kinda) someone who left the car running because they intended to get back in it and go somewhere. This would save the inconvience of turning it off, and then starting it back up again in ten minutes. I could then see how a person might become distracted during that 10 minutes and never turn it off. Silly, but I could see how it would happen.

But the OP said he was not going to go anywhere. He just forgot to go back and turn it off. As if it's a normal thing to leave a car running while you unload groceries and then go back to turn the car off. That makes no sense at all!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:35 PM

I did that too once. We lived in a small house in a small city, and had a fridge delivered in winter, I backed the car off the driveway to make room for the delivery truck and since it was cold I left it running till I could move it back. Three hours after the fridge was plugged in, we thought we should head out for some milk, if only the car was warm....
Old 07-01-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I can understand that, though. It takes less effort to sit in the car and motion for someone to come over to you. I completely understand people gaining habits out of convenience or laziness or efficiency.

But the strategy of leaving the car running, carrying your groceries into the house and then returning to the car to turn it off??? That makes no sense at all!

Even though silly, I could understand (kinda) someone who left the car running because they intended to get back in it and go somewhere. This would save the inconvience of turning it off, and then starting it back up again in ten minutes. I could then see how a person might become distracted during that 10 minutes and never turn it off. Silly, but I could see how it would happen.

But the OP said he was not going to go anywhere. He just forgot to go back and turn it off. As if it's a normal thing to leave a car running while you unload groceries and then go back to turn the car off. That makes no sense at all!
In Post #20 the OP explains that he wasn't sure if he wanted to go back out again and simply got distracted.

I can easily see how this can happen. We lead such busy lives and never give our brains a chance to rest that distractions are are impossible to avoid.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

I used to work at Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL. One summer, I worked in the parking lot. We probably had 2-3 cars everyday that folks left running. Just so excited to get to the park, I guess
Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby
In Post #20 the OP explains that he wasn't sure if he wanted to go back out again and simply got distracted. I can easily see how this can happen. We lead such busy lives and never give our brains a chance to rest that distractions are are impossible to avoid.
Thanks Ruby, nice to know at least you know where I'm coming from. Between the failure to actually read the thread and the inability to forgive me my misdeeds, the actions that led up to my foible seem lost on some here who know better than I do what the best technique to turning a car off is. At what point in the turning-off process do I remove my seatbelt, guys?

My hope was for others to share similar stories, and I appreciate those who have done so ... some have been far scarier than mine ... but I guess it wouldn't be the Dope without at least one faultfinder chiming in about how inconceivable it is that a car can idle (on one's personal property) without someone being in it.

Last edited by anamnesis; 07-01-2007 at 02:20 AM..
Old 07-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would definitely send a friend to collect those keys. Cops, even rent-a-cops, are not gentle in humorous situations. It would take son-in-law guy at least a half-hour od humiliation to get out of there with the keys.
SIL was in California; car was left running at airport in South Dakota; point was that no one stole the car and the South Dakota airport security people parked it safely and held the keys for the owner's return. This was, of course, about twenty years ago; in South Dakota back then even rent-a-cops were trustworthy.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisB
SIL was in California; car was left running at airport in South Dakota; point was that no one stole the car and the South Dakota airport security people parked it safely and held the keys for the owner's return. This was, of course, about twenty years ago; in South Dakota back then even rent-a-cops were trustworthy.
Still, I'll bet they gave him a good ribbing. You know, newlywed guy, mind elsewhere. That sort of thing.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Reading comprehension seems lacking in this thread.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisha
Reading comprehension seems lacking in this thread.
So does niceness, eh.
Where's Miss Manners when you need her.
Peace,
mangeorge
Old 07-01-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
So does niceness, eh.
Where's Miss Manners when you need her.
Peace,
mangeorge

She joined a cult, they're waiting for the sign that the alien probes will commence shortly. Tom Cruise wants to go first, but she called dibs.

Note that I did not quote you specifically, there were many instances, much more than typical.

Last edited by fisha; 07-01-2007 at 01:53 PM..
Old 07-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisha
She joined a cult, they're waiting for the sign that the alien probes will commence shortly. Tom Cruise wants to go first, but she called dibs.

Note that I did not quote you specifically, there were many instances, much more than typical.

Oh, I don't think LouisB, or anyone else, took umbrage at my gentle joshing.
At least I hope not.
And I liked the OP's story.
I frequently leave my oven on. Luckily, it eventually shuts itself off.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Ruby, nice to know at least you know where I'm coming from. Between the failure to actually read the thread and the inability to forgive me my misdeeds, the actions that led up to my foible seem lost on some here who know better than I do what the best technique to turning a car off is. At what point in the turning-off process do I remove my seatbelt, guys?
Whatever. Don't post a story with "stupidity" in the title and then get all butt hurt when someone actually agrees with you. This was a very stupid thing to do. You left your car running while you contemplated whether or not you were going to use it again. Then, while thinking about it, you were distracted and left it running all night. It was pretty damn stupid, and excuse me for not understanding how it is even possible. I was just looking for clarification. You can roll your eyes as much as you want, but remember it was you who left your car on all night.

Quote:
... but I guess it wouldn't be the Dope without at least one faultfinder chiming in about how inconceivable it is that a car can idle (on one's personal property) without someone being in it.
And I guess it wouldn't be the Dope if someone didn't tell a story about how completely idiotic they were, and then got surprised when the whole world isn't equally as stupid or understanding of their foul-up.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 PM

anamnesis,

I can relate to leaving the care running. When I go to the store to grab beer or Skoal and I have MrsSgtSchwartz in the car, I leave it running so the A/C stays on. (I also tend to lock the doors, as I use the pushbuttons on the door instead of the keys, so I have to punch the code to let myself back in) When the Mrs is not in the car, I remove the keys, throw them on the floor, and get out. I have mixed this up before, and turned off the car and dropped the keys when she is in the car, or left it running when she is not. I don't have my house keys on my car keyring because my car keys stay in the car. My house keys are in my pockets usually.
The longest I left my car running was for about 30 mins when I first got home. I had to make 3-4 quick pit stops with the wife in less than an hour. We got home, she got out, I was on my cell phone. I finished the call, forgot I left the motor running, got out and went into the house. Fortunatly, the trash had to go out and I walked past the car on the way to the Dumpster.

Sgt Schwartz
Old 07-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A quick perusal of the odometer may yet reveal an extra 625 miles....

The car may have been running all night but it sure wasn't standing still.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby
In Post #20 the OP explains that he wasn't sure if he wanted to go back out again and simply got distracted.
Yeah, I read that. It's the part I don't understand.
Basically he parked the car and thought, "Hmmm I am not sure if I will be going back out in the next 15 minutes or so. I think I'll just leave the car running while I go in the house and figure it out. If I decide to stay home, I'll just go outside and turn off the car. If I want to go out, then it will still be running, so I dont have to turn it on again. Boy, turning that car back on sure is a pain in the ass. So, anyway, I wonder if I'm going to leave here or just go back and turn it off. Maybe I'll.... oh the phone is ringing..."

But thanks for pointing out his post as if I couldn't read it myself the first time. Despite what the self-proclaimed idiots in this thread believe, I am not failing to read the thread, nor do I lack the ability to forgive someone's misdeeds. I just can't understand the train of thought that puts a person in such a situation to begin with. When asked for clarification, all I get is a bunch of "Didn't you read the post!?" and "You're such an asshole!" type replies.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Basically he parked the car and thought, "Hmmm I am not sure if I will be going back out in the next 15 minutes or so. I think I'll just leave the car running while I go in the house and figure it out. If I decide to stay home, I'll just go outside and turn off the car. If I want to go out, then it will still be running, so I dont have to turn it on again. Boy, turning that car back on sure is a pain in the ass. So, anyway, I wonder if I'm going to leave here or just go back and turn it off. Maybe I'll.... oh the phone is ringing..."
Actually, I thought "I'm probably going to be dropping this stuff off and then be headed right back out again", but thanks for the overdrawn guess at what I must have been thinking.

Quote:
I just can't understand the train of thought that puts a person in such a situation to begin with. When asked for clarification, all I get is a bunch of "Didn't you read the post!?" and "You're such an asshole!" type replies.
It's okay, obviously you've never mistakenly forgotten anything in your life and are consequently beyond reproach when it comes to remembering to do things, which makes you the perfect judge of how others do things. I'm sure the vibe you're feeling about those clarifications is just a result of the fact that deep down, I resent how much smarter you are by being such a pragmatist, and I appreciate your letting me know. I'll take it under advisement and govern myself accordingly.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, I thought "I'm probably going to be dropping this stuff off and then be headed right back out again", but thanks for the overdrawn guess at what I must have been thinking.
Quote:
My excuse? I came inside last night with my hands full, expecting to go back out to turn the car off and shut the garage door, only to completely forget upon entering the house and getting sidetracked by a dozen other things.
Wow! Where did I ever get such an overdrawn guess as to your intentions?? How could I ever have assumed that you left your car on with the expectation of returning in a few minutes just for the purpose of turning it off. I guess I didn't read that somewhere. My bad.

Quote:
I really deserve a good punch on the bracket.
Yes, you do. But you have a hard time taking it, even when you asked for it.

Quote:
It's okay, obviously you've never mistakenly forgotten anything in your life and are consequently beyond reproach when it comes to remembering to do things, which makes you the perfect judge of how others do things.
The stupidity of your actions was not that you forgot you left the car on. It's the fact that you think it's a good strategy to leave it on in the first place. There's no point in leaving it on. I asked you if there was a point or a reason (maybe your car takes a long time to start or maybe you wanted to leave the AC on) but all you did was get pissy.