How much does poop weigh?

Frankly, I’m surprised that this question has not been definitively answered by Cecil yet as it seems vitally important to humankind.

After lunch today I sat down on the toilet and unleashed a big ol’ poo, pardon my grossness :slight_smile:

So then I got to wondering if this might have affected my morning weigh-in, which was higher than expected.

Searching on the Internet did not seem to be very fruitful. 2 sites I found:

Average daily weight of human poop: 2.5 pounds

Each day, on average, people produce 1 ounce of poop for each 12 pounds of their body weight

(which would be closer to 1 lb)

Now I realize that poop weight is extremely variable, so I’m just looking for a range, but 1-2.5 lbs seems like an awful big range, especially considering that 2.5 is supposed to be an “average”

Any thoughts / wisdom / insight?

I suspect that on average it’s a little denser than water (1 kg/dm[sup]3[/sup]). I base this on the fact that itusually sinks. So, if we know the volume typically ejected in one session, we’ll know how much it masses.

That’s a very good question…

I’m sorry, but I’m not willing to do an experiment to answer this question.

I’m 5’8’’ and weigh 163 lbs.

After my morning BM, I weigh 161.5- 162 lbs.

I take Metamucil every night at 9:30, or after heavy meals.

You want info, I give info. And hope it is useful.

Thanks for not shitting in this thread.

What we need is a few people who are regular and have a very accurate scale in their bathroom of choice.

1. Weigh yourself before your BM and then again after your BM.
  2. Plot results over a set length of time.
  3. Compare results.
  4. Profit?

Well, I can tell you that on even an innaccurate scale, one does weigh noticably less given a substantial deposit (don’t ask how I know this.) Now one needs a way to measure volume.

Measure water displacement. There ya go! Take one for science!!
(Paging Eureka!)

So *that’s * how you racked up that post count. :rolleyes:

Several years back we had a pretty accurate “spirit level” scale in our bathroom, and my wife and I regularly weighed ourselves before and after. As I recall, it took a pretty impressive dump to exceed 1#, and I don’t think either of us ever attained a 2-pounder. Obviously, YMMV.

Not a Triumph fan, I see.

I missed the reference too. But if you had said something like:

[Triumph the Insult comic dog]
That’s a very good question…[/tticd]

I certainly would have come back with a:

FOR ME TO POOOP ON!
Maybe I’m just dense?

It weighs a shitload.

Sorry. If you want anything like an accurate weighing, the container has to weigh less than what you’re weighing.

But I suspect there are medical tables out there for this sort of thing. Hospitals sometimes check on output.

I knew my graduated toilet would come in handy one day.

-Every day, people on Earth produce over 11 billion pounds of poop.
-Americans own approximately 73 million dogs, which produce more than 7 billion pounds of poop per year.
-Toilet users in the US flush 108 million pounds of poop down the toilet every single day.
-A well-fed dairy cow produces 120 pounds of poop a day, or some 43,000 pounds a year.
-An average thousand-pound horse produces about 50 pounds of poop per day.
-A Canada goose drops about 3 pounds of poop a day.
-The driver of Dave Matthews’ band bus discharged 800 pounds of poop on to the heads of a hapless group of tour boat passengers.

Cite, you ask?

I am having a hard time believing that just the US dogs produce almost as much poop as all humans on Earth.

They don’t - read that more closely - the people figure is per day - the dog figure is per year.

Word.

You’ve also got to take in to account the weight of the the #1, if you normally hit the Exacta.

We’ve got a digital scale that’s accurate to a fifth of a pound. Being a guy, I’ve often used it to check the weight of my daily constitutional.

My normal output is in the 1-1.2 lb range. I’m a 150lb male who eats like a horse and probably drinks too much coffee.

If for some reason I’ve held it for a day, I get in the 1.4-1.8 lb range. The non-linear distribution is probably due to my large intestine doing its job and making jerky, so to speak.

My most impressive achievement to date is 2.2 pounds, after a three day camping trip where I didn’t go for nearly four days.