Old 08-13-2007, 02:18 PM

Finally, the tale of my quest for bacon salt...

I stumbled upon this thread when it was still just a page and a half, and my pulse quickened. The very thought of such a thing as Bacon Salt restored my belief in the ingenuity of the human mind, but when, oh when, would I be able to taste this miracle flavoring? Posts indicated a long wait time, up to three weeks- what devilish torture would that be. Looking at the website, I discover that it is sold in the Seattle area- where I would be vacationing that very week! Serendipity! Allegedly, it is at City Fish and several Brown and Cole stores. Several days after checking out the website, I find myself at Pike's Place, wishing I had written down the name of the store. I ask every fish counter I pass, I go into the Market Spice store, the Shaman herb store, the Italian deli, and several others, and none has heard of such a thing as Bacon Salt. Alas, there will be no sharing of the Bacon Salt with the fam damily.

Upon returning to our accomodations in Sammamish (my aunt and uncle's house) I went back to website- And there is a store in Everett that's a 10 minute detour from the Mukilteo ferry that we will be taking back from Whidbey Island on our journey home from Canada later in the week. So, as we sit in line to get on the boat, I explain to my travelling mates-my wife and two of her best friends- the story of Bacon Salt, and my need to stop for some. After some dubious looks and questions of my sanity, I get her friends to agree to stop, which is key, as they are the ones with the time crunch and the ones driving. So we find the Everett Cost Cutters fairly easily.

I march resolutely to the spice aisle, knowing that my encounter with this fabled flavor is nigh, itchy to disprove the doubts of my wife. Hmm, let's see, iodized salt, non-iodized salt, rock salt, koksher salt, sea salt, celery salt, onion salt, Lowry's, Mrs. Dash, Jamaican me Crazy Rub, Dom DeLillo's Dandruff Flakes, Folger's Flavor Crystals, where the fark is the Bacon Salt!?!?? Find wife at the front of the store, she has inquired with someone (apparently in produce) who has never heard of the stuff (and why should he, he's in produce after all!). Needless to say, her dubious and annoyance levels are spiking. I happen to be standing near the customer service desk, so when the clerk comes back, and asks if I need help finding something, I can ask for Bacon Salt without getting an extra glare from the wife- hey, I didn't initiate contact. The clerk directs me to the manager. According to him, 3 to 4 people a day have been coming in looking for the danged stuff for the last week or so (this was Aug 3). They've never carried it, but with all this demand, they're doing everything I can to get it in as soon as possible. Of course, he points out, that does nothing for me.

Vanquished, I purchase Reese's Big Cups for all as reward for putting up with me and my wayward adventure (I'm glad to see that these have spread across the country, PB cup fans everywhere should rejoice). We stop in Sammamish for the night, as it is clear that we won't make Hood River in the state that we're in. The fam damily has left except for a cousin who drives in from Seattle to hang. She reviews the list of stores on the website with me and confirms that none are close to our route, so I resign myself to the fact that I will have to mail order some of this bacon salt.

Not wanting others to suffer as I have suffered, I email the boys at J&D's Downhome Enterprises. City Fish had sold out in 5 Days, and their distributor for Brown and Cole hasn't returned their calls all month. They are finding it hard to crack into the market. So Dave apologized, said he'd get the store list updated properly, and dropped a sampler in the mail. It should be waiting for me when I get home. I look forward with wettening saliva glands to be a fully indoctrinated member of the Bacon Salt Brother and Sisterhood later this evening. Perhaps with a Big Cup on the side.

bacon bacon bacon
Advertisements  
Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM

My own true bacon salt story:

I read the thread from the beginning, laughing joyfully over the bacony rapture. However, I remained sceptical about the possibility of non-bacon tasting like bacon. After all, bacon bits are not nice, and fakes made out of soy are anathema.

But Cervaise's golden tongue (I speak metaphorically), his descriptions of the food he cooked, enchanted me, and I put one foot on the garden path. Other descriptions flooding in got the other foot moving, and I, too, placed my bacon salt order.

It arrived in timely fashion. Eagerly, I opened the little jars of Bacon Salt and tasted.
Aaack! Artificial taste. "Devilsknew was right," I said to myself, crushed. "The rest of the Dopers have led me astray." I sulked in the dark for days, not exactly like JC in the underworld, but then again, I was doubting the Bacon Pope and his followers, and in the realm of the devil(sknew), so maybe its more apt than I thought.

After the mythologically requisite three days, resurrection of hope ensued. I tested the salt on food. On hardboiled eggs, with candy-sweet grape tomatoes. Good enough.

So then I tried a little stir-fry -- three tiny new potatoes, chopped, sauteed in an herbed grapeseed oil, with onion, yellow squash, sugar snap peas, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, chopped brussels sprouts, and bite-size pieces of pre-cooked chicken breast. Then I seasoned it with a dash of hickory bacon salt, and a dash of peppered bacon salt. Delicious. The bacon salt made a very ordinary dish extraordinary.

So I am a believer again. And want to tell others who may have been disappointed at first, keep trying it. Do not doubt the Bacon Pope. He has blessed us.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 PM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

Is it just me, or are the posts now ever-so-subtley morphing into what can only be described as testimonial witnessing of individuals on their own personal crusade for Bacon Salt?

Praises be to the porcine-inspired ones and their devine supreme Baconess.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 PM

So, this past weekend, my 17-year-old nephew stayed over from Saturday night until Sunday morning.

And I had told him the story of Bacon Salt, and showed him my spiffy 3-pack. He wasn't hungry so I just sprinkled some original flavor on his hand and he licked it off. And his opinion was "Mmmmmm. Tastes like beef jerky." I tried to correct him, because it tastes like bacon, but he insisted that it tasted like beef jerky. But went on to reassure me that he likes beef jerky.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Know what else bacon salt is good on? Olives. The queen-size green ones. Like olives need more salt.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM

I'm going to order some once I get my mailing address stuff sorted out (I just moved, we don't have general delivery here, I have to get a box...auuugh) and take it to the local frou-frou grocery chain and tell them they should carry it! They're small, all of three stores, been open since the early 1950's. I think it could do well here, tastes like bacon without all the fat and stuff...yep, definitely. Yum.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
The ATK people, after some experimentation, discovered that the best way to avoid this is to switch the order of cooking: start the steak (seasoned) in a low-temperature oven (<200F), warm it to ~100F in the middle (a little less for very rare, or up to ~120 for medium-rare), and then move to the stovetop for an exterior sear. The resulting steak is very tender, all the way through, warmed to the middle but still brilliantly pink, with a fantastic exterior crust, and no risk of gray line. I swear by the technique now, whether or not I'm cooking the steak straight out of the fridge.
Slight bump to say thank you, Cervaise, for posting this. I had yet to try cooking steak (I'm a novice, it seemed intimidating), but this process seemed eminently logical, and top sirloin happened to be on sale recently. I gave each side of the meat a healthy coating of Hickory Bacon Salt and used this process, and the steak came out excellent, especially considering it was a first try.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:20 PM

You're welcome. Glad to hear the technique worked for you.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Whilst you lot have been going on and on about Bacon Salt, I had to wait until month end for payday and then I finally got it ordered, but then it took two weeks to arrive, and now at last I can join you in the cult of bacon.

I goes well on tuna mayo on cracker biscuits, if you don't get them over there, try get your hands on them,

http://www.dcimports.com/jaccreamcrac.html

I don't know how much you guys eat rye crackers and other such savoury biscuity type things, but they make a nice quick facility for testing deli items out, and bacon salt works fine on almost anything.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Cheese dip (Velveeta melted with salsa) is greatly improved with a healthy sprinkling of Hickory Bacon Salt.

I'll have to try it the next time I make tuna salad (which I assume is what casdave refers to as tuna mayo), which I always eat on crackers instead of making sandwiches.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:33 PM

I made some guacamole with Bacon Salt to eat with chicken (Bacon Salt) nachos. Mmm, mmm.

Last night I had scrambled eggs with Bacon Salt (and green pepper and green onions), wrapped in a soft taco shell with cheese. Yum.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

It's been 10 days since I ordered and paid for my bacon salt, and yet I'm still without. Life sucks and the world is unfair.

StG

Last edited by StGermain; 08-17-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:44 PM

The Bacon Salt is indeed delicious...and it appears I may be allergic to something in it. Every time I have a lot of it, I break out in the itchy.

I'm still hoping it's something else and I can continue with my bacony goodness.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead
The Bacon Salt is indeed delicious...and it appears I may be allergic to something in it. Every time I have a lot of it, I break out in the itchy.

I'm still hoping it's something else and I can continue with my bacony goodness.
Well, the answer is simple, sprinkle some Bacon Salt on a Benadryl capsule and enjoy.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:17 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Circumstances forced me to have a frozen TV dinner last night as my main repast. Marie Callender's Smothered Pork Chop, with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. From past experience I know that this meal is edible at best. So I dusted it liberally with Hickory Bacon Salt.

Damn.

I actually bought 3 more of the things today while grocery shopping. Because with Bacon Salt, they become......FOOD!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain
It's been 10 days since I ordered and paid for my bacon salt, and yet I'm still without. Life sucks and the world is unfair.

StG
I feel your pain. I ordered on August 7th and got notice of shipping yesterday. It's going out Priority Mail, I'm informed, estimated two to three days to get here. BUT! The tracking number leads me to this Postal Service message, today on the 17th:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on August 16, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Since the package is going out as part of PayPal MultiOrder Shipping, I'm wondering whether the poor guy bearing mass quantities of orders hasn't yet made it to the post office.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 PM

I, too, possess such a shipping notification. To add baconless insult to saltless injury, the sandwich-slinger working at the Quiznos we stopped at on our way home, DEPRIVED ME OF MY BACON!!! I did not realize that I would unwrap such blasphemy in my most devout swine-consuming shrine that is my home, until I had already exposed it to myself and my family. For the love of Og...there was a kitten present.

Last edited by ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies; 08-17-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 PM

A buddy of mine is in charge of what products are stocked at the supermarket chain Meijer. (Popular in Michigan and the surrounding states). He says he'll look into getting it stocked in Meijer stores, no promises. He's worried that they wouldn't be able to produce enough for 225 shopping centers, and too little product is worse than no product. And his boss has to OK it, as does the guy specifically in charge of "spices and confections"

So there's hope for us Michigan dopers that sweet sweet fake bacony goodness could be had from the store. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain

StG
I'll try to remember to bring some to the Dopefest.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:26 PM

Wow, this is the a-thread of condiments.

I just ordered.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead

::rubs eyes:: Drain Bead? Is that really you?

Welcome back!!

Is there a Drain Bead returns thread?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy
I feel your pain. I ordered on August 7th and got notice of shipping yesterday. It's going out Priority Mail, I'm informed, estimated two to three days to get here. BUT! The tracking number leads me to this Postal Service message, today on the 17th:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on August 16, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Since the package is going out as part of PayPal MultiOrder Shipping, I'm wondering whether the poor guy bearing mass quantities of orders hasn't yet made it to the post office.
Don't sweat it, I had the same message. The moment my package arrived, I went to the computer and it still had the does not indicate receipt message. About 12 hours later, I got the email that I had received my bacony goodness.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_C
A buddy of mine is in charge of what products are stocked at the supermarket chain Meijer. (Popular in Michigan and the surrounding states). He says he'll look into getting it stocked in Meijer stores, no promises. He's worried that they wouldn't be able to produce enough for 225 shopping centers, and too little product is worse than no product. And his boss has to OK it, as does the guy specifically in charge of "spices and confections"

So there's hope for us Michigan dopers that sweet sweet fake bacony goodness could be had from the store. I'll keep you guys posted.
Oh happy day!

Especially since I've been preaching the gloriousness of bacon salt to everyone in my path. People at work are sure I must own stock in the company or something, but nope, I'm just sharing for the sheer bacony joy of it.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:57 AM

I got the three pack just under a month ago and the jar of original is almost GONE! Can anyone beat my consumption rate?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

I got mine at last!

It's good, very good. I especially like the Hickory. Only tried it on an omelet so far, but wider horizons beckon.......
Old 08-18-2007, 07:26 PM

ETF, I got the same message today. I should probably get mine at the first of next week, I hope.

Oh, and I echo Alan Smithee: DRAIN BEAD???? Are you KIDDING us?!?!?!?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 PM

Made this at the Las Vegas DopeFest barbecue:

Mixed olive oil, garlic powder and Peppered Bacon Salt. Brushed liberally on portobello mushroom caps. Grilled on upper rack of BBQ.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMbacon bacon baconMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield
I got the three pack just under a month ago and the jar of original is almost GONE! Can anyone beat my consumption rate?
Yes. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and I've used 3/4 of the hickory. I'm pretty sure it's subtly altering my DNA.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:51 PM

Just thought I'd direct everyone to Epicurious.com's latest podcast.
Quote:
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH FLAVORED SALTS?
Bacon makes (almost) everything taste better! Watch how to make bacon salt and learn about the trend to use flavored salts in cooking with Bon Appétit Restaurant Editor Andrew Knowlton and Bellagio Executive Chef Wolfgang von Wieser (Bellagio Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, NV).
Old 08-19-2007, 10:55 PM

I got mine today!!!

I savored each of the 3 flavors on alternating spoonfulls of a perfectly ripe California hass avocado. I'm very happy with it.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:09 PM

In order to go out and spread the word about Bacon Salt, we made need this
Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Instant yummy chip dip: bacon salt with sour cream.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 PM

I went down to City Fish today to pick up some bacon salt.

They had the hickory and peppered flavor.

They didn't have the original flavor. Bastards.

I decided that, in the interests of science, it would be inappropriate fo me to get only two flavors instead of three, as that would result in invalid comparisons of data and the need to rerun the test passes once I got the original flavor at a later date.

I hope y'all are proud of me.

Let me repeat: I gave up bacon salt for the sake of the scientific method.

Jeez, I'd better get some some hot-scientist-babe lovin' out of this.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hawk
Let me repeat: I gave up bacon salt for the sake of the scientific method.
I don't think that Francis Bacon (inventor of the scientific method) would approve.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Paging Cervaise (and others)...I just received this in my email:

Quote:
Bacon Salt Recipe Contest

Thank you for recent purchase of Bacon Salt™!

Today, we're launching a Bacon Salt Recipe Contest. We already have some great ones on our website, but there are probably some really creative ones out there that other people would enjoy trying.

The prize? A year of free Bacon Salt, delivered to your door* - and first crack at some of the new flavors we're working on (you'll drool when you hear them).

To enter, please email your best recipes and uses for Bacon Salt to recipes@baconsalt.com. You can enter as many times as you like and we encourage you to try the recipes on your friends first and send pictures of your entries. Recipes will be judged on taste, originality and presentation (but mostly taste). We'll post the best ones on our website, our blog, in email updates and in other targeted places.

Thank you again for your support and love (of bacon).

Sincerely,

Justin and Dave (J&D)

Bacontrepreneurs

passthebacon@baconsalt.com

P.S. If you're in Seattle, Bacon Salt is back on sale at City Fish in Pike Place market. They ran out quickly last time, so get there soon!
*One year of free bacon salt = three bottles per month for 12 months
Lord, what I wouldn't do for that much Bacon Salt...
Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

RECIPE CONTEST!
I just got the email that the Bacon Boys are having a recipe contest with the first prize being a 1 years supply of free Bacon Salt.
Details on their blog

The honor of the dope is at stake here, we need to win this sucker.

ETA: Shit, too slow.

Last edited by Rick; 08-20-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:50 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Actually, Rick, I'd say you made a good call here. I wasn't thinking about this from an SDMB-centric point of view. A Doper needs to bring that trophy home!

As Captain Planet would have said, "Let our powers combine!" (On edit, I realize that one of the kids actually said that, but whatever.)

Last edited by Asimovian; 08-20-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 PM

Well. All righty then.

We could do this one of two ways:

We could have an SDMB throwdown, which guarantees only a local victor; or we could pool our resources, post recipes, test one another's approaches, and refine them here before submitting them, thus improving the odds that it's an SDMBer who wins.

Re the time frame, though, I note the blog site doesn't mention a deadline. We probably need more information before proceeding.

(And for the record, I made myself a Bacon Salt frittata for breakfast this morning.)
Old 08-20-2007, 03:38 PM

Here it is, Here It Is, HERE IT IS!!!!!!

I just now went down to get the day's mail, and I have in my hands a package sent from "J&D's Down Home Enterprises"!

I HAVE MY BACON SALT!!!!

I HAVEN'T OPENED IT YET!!!

YOU ARE ALL WITNESSES!!!

Hang on a tick, whilst I get the Priority Mail thingy opened.

This is LIVE!!!

OMFG! Even sealed, they smell like BACON! I am finding myself rapturously sniffing the bottles and trying to stuff them up my nose. I've got to figure which one to open first, as well as what food to put them on. Hot buttered popcorn? Roasted asparagus? Salmon filets? Hamburgers? Chex Party Mix (with cashews)?

::slobber, drool, slobber, drool::

I'm betting this is going to be my Christmas present for every male in my family this year.

I am SO petitioning my local grocer to carry this stuff.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Well. All righty then.

We could have an SDMB throwdown, which guarantees only a local victor; or we could pool our resources, post recipes, test one another's approaches, and refine them here before submitting them, thus improving the odds that it's an SDMBer who wins.

Re the time frame, though, I note the blog site doesn't mention a deadline. We probably need more information before proceeding.

(And for the record, I made myself a Bacon Salt frittata for breakfast this morning.)
Must also find out if the contest submissions need to be previously unpublished, and if SDMB posting counts as publication and thus disqualification.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

My bacon salt is shipping...
Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

I hope the Makers of Bacon Salt (Blessed be their names. May their loins breed only male children, and may their camels multiply like rabbits) are keeping up with this thread. Dijon's post alone might make them stop and consider what they are doing to the fabric of American Society. What are the makers of cheap electronics, bad ties, and shoe buffers going to do this Christmas when all of their stock goes unsold, because everybody's getting Dad and Uncle Ralph and Cousin Bob Bacon Salt instead of their usual present? Is Bacon Salt worth trashing the economy?

Of course it is!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Instant yummy chip dip: bacon salt with sour cream.
When I saw this I had to try it. You're right. Very good.

ETA: Someone had the nerve to tell me my bacon salt obsession was unhealthy. Can you believe it?

Last edited by DeadlyAccurate; 08-20-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well. All righty then.

I think (rules permitting) that we should bounce ideas and refinements off each other and submit multiple recipes. If we had a throw down with just one winner, and it did not resonate with the judges, the SDMB would be screwed.
I submitted this to their email:
Hi guys,
Your contest is starting to generate a stir over at the Straight Dope message board. Before you ask yes, the Bacon Salt thread is still going strong.
We have some questions though:
1. When is the end date?
2. Do the recipes need to be previously unpublished?
3. Is it permitted under the rules for us to discuss recipes / suggestions / improvements on our message board, and then submit the final recipe to your contest? Or would that be considered published?
4. Or are you adapting a line from Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid "Rules, hell there ain't no rules in a recipe fight"

Looking forward to your answers

Rick

One housekeeping question. If we are allowed to discuss recipes, should they go here, or should we start a thread in CS?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

One more thing. What's fair is fair. If Boyo Jim got a custom tittle for winning the Bulwer-Lytton contest it is only fair that if a doper wins the Bacon Salt contest they should also get a custom tittle.
::: Thinking:::
Bringer of the bacon?
The Baconator?
Everything is better with Bacon?

We need TubaDiva on board with this.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:59 PM

I thought I remembered someone mentioning bacon tequila shots here. I was thinking of getting some tequila as an additional gift with the bacon salt for someone. Any suggestions on the best tequila to go with bacon salt?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:00 PM

Bacon Saltinator
Old 08-20-2007, 05:09 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
One more thing. What's fair is fair. If Boyo Jim got a custom tittle for winning the Bulwer-Lytton contest it is only fair that if a doper wins the Bacon Salt contest they should also get a custom tittle.
::: Thinking:::
Bringer of the bacon?
The Baconator?
Everything is better with Bacon?

We need TubaDiva on board with this.
I would gladly relinquish the honorary Bacon Pope title to the Doper who wins this contest. Since my bacon salt usage has been limited to various fast foods for the most part, I sadly have nothing to contribute to the recipe contest myself, other than enthusiasm for the contestants.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I got a reply from the Bacon Salt boys.
Quote:
Gotta love the Straight Dope!

We’d prefer that recipes are previously unpublished – i.e. we don’t want anyone stealing or adding to someone else’s work and claiming it as their own – but other than that, in our estimation there’s no such thing as a fair recipe fight. Feel free to collaborate/open source your submissions.

Since we weren’t sure what we’d get back and how long it would take people to send them in, we have decided to end the contest in the same way you stop the microwave when you’re making popcorn: when the “pops” start slowing down, we’ll come to a decision. I’d say give it 3-6 weeks at most!

Thanks again for your interest and continued support,

J&D
So it looks like we are free to swap and improve our recipes.
So this thread or a new one?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 PM

Well, IMHO any recipe thread properly belongs in Cafe Society. While there can be no Great Debate over the fact that Bacon Salt might be useful in a BBQ Pit, would any member of the Staff Report us for answering the General Question that there is nothing Mundane and Pointless in working together to establish that everything About This Message Board is done in honor of Cecil's Column?

my apologies, but it just started to grow after the middle of the second sentence, and it became a challenge