The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder
More urgently, when will it be available in the UK?.
Well, their blog says:

Quote:
Bacon Salt recap - day 5

5 days into Bacon Salt and over 500 orders (!) later from all over the country and even overseas (the UK and Australia are both big customers), we're starting to think that maybe we're not completely nuts for doing this.
w.
Advertisements  
Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Well, that must taste like it came from one charmin' motherfuckin' pig.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan
I don't get the excitement, personally.

You want all of your food to taste like bacon?
I could not understand your absurd question until I looked at your location. A fella might think that way if he only had Canadian bacon.

This thread reminds me, I need to call Lumber Liquidators. Their radio spot says they specialize in " hardwood, bamboo, and Pork Flooring."

Mmmmm, pork flooring!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 PM

I have completed my cooking and taste tests.

Full writeup to be posted tomorrow.

Preliminary result: thumbs up.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:23 AM

I'm ordering it and putting a Philly twist to it: (Philadelphia, PA, USA, that is)

Bacon salt flavored Philly Cheesteaks.
Bacon salt flavored Philly Soft Pretzels.
Bacon salt flavored Philly Cream Cheese (ok, it ain't from Philly, but think of bacony cream cheese goodness on a bagel)

There is a piece of Mac's pizza (or Mac and Manko's) just waiting for a dash of bacon salt.

Last edited by Philster; 07-24-2007 at 10:23 AM..
Old 07-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Okay, here's the scoop.

Overall, the bacon salt is quite good. It produces the flavor and aroma of bacon in the dishes in which I've used it. I'm not disappointed; I'll use it frequently; I don't expect it to last very long; I'll buy more before I run out so I'm not without it. Woot woot and all that.

But if you're looking for a mindblowingly transcendant experience, this isn't it. Despite the crackhead babbling in the thread (mine especially), our collective tongue, I think, is at least partly in cheek. We know it won't be that good. We may hope, but we know we should stay realistic; this won't really be a life changer. If that's what you actually expect, this will be a letdown. I was expecting a seasoning salt ranging from good to very good; I am impressed that it lands in the upper range of my scale.

The thing is, though, this doesn't provide the total bacon experience. Bacon is about flavor and aroma, but an essential element, in my opinion, is the mouthfeel. The crispness combined with the fine, silky fat is simply luxurious on the tongue and in the mouth. (Really, it's remarkable that so incredible a food should be so widely and cheaply available, and it's sad that so many seem to take it for granted, the worship in this thread notwithstanding.) Bacon doesn't just taste good and smell good; it FEELS good.

Bacon Salt doesn't provide that texture, and therefore falls short of achieving ultimate baconosity. (For that, you'll need devilsknew's recipe above.) It is, nevertheless, as good as one could reasonably - emphasize reasonably - hope for in a seasoning salt.

To answer one common query, yes, this product strongly resembles fine-grained artificial bacon bits, and is probably manufactured in a similar manner. But granting the equivalence, Bacon Salt is far better than any artificial bacon bit product I've ever had. There's a care to the flavor balances I don't get from the ordinary fake stuff. If this is nothing but an artificial bacon bit, it's the best artificial bacon bit I've ever had. This stuff has punch and character. There's real personality here.

Tasting notes, comparing the three varieties: The Peppered style is not markedly more spicy than the Original. There's a bit of pep, but only a bit. I have a very high tolerance for heat so I might not be the best judge here; still, the Peppered and the Original were pretty close together taste-wise. The Hickory, on the other hand, had a pronounced note of smoke. As such, its cooking applications will be more limited, but it'll be great as a snack salt.

The specific taste tests:

For dinner Saturday, I sauteed garlic, asparagus, and Key West pink shrimp with Bacon Salt (Original variety), then deglazed with white wine, added scallion, and served it over fresh pasta that had been tossed with a little butter mixed with Bacon Salt (same).

For breakfast Sunday and Monday, I made several two-egg scrambles, trying each type of Bacon Salt in varying quantities. Based on Saturday night's attempts to set an appropriate level of seasoning in the pasta, I kept track of the amounts of Bacon Salt in each scramble. I also threw in some parmesan for a "carbonara" echo, and more of the scallion.

Then for dinner Monday, I made a rib-eye steak (ATK method) which I'd rubbed with Bacon Salt (Peppered) and let stand for an hour, pan-roasted potatoes dusted with Bacon Salt and garlic powder, and peas mixed with a Bacon Salt sabayon.

Very simple recipes, with few other seasonings, to let the Bacon Salt speak for itself, and not get masked. The sabayon peas were the most significant exception, testing how the bacon salt might behave as a contributing flavor in a more complicated dish instead of as the main taste prop for an ingredient.

Results: delicious. Not as good as sex; Sex can breathe easy. But delicious nevertheless.

Lessons learned:

You need to use more than you would if it were just salt. The low-sodium measurement noted above is not an indication that the seasoning is magically super-powered; it just means you need to use more of it to get the same degree of pop. (I'm not afraid of salt but those who are trying to control their intake should take note.) I needed to add more to the first night's pasta dish while I was eating it to get the right level of zing, both for salt and for baconitude, which is why I followed up with the variations in the eggs, testing measured quantities. The egg scramble with 1/8 teaspoon (Hickory) was pretty bland; the 1/4 teaspoon (Peppered) version was getting there; with 3/8 teaspoon (Original) it was just about right.

Be careful, though: the line between just enough and too much is crossed pretty dramatically. There's no such thing as a little bit too much of this stuff; when you overdo it, it's face-puckeringly powerful, and not in a good way. A two-egg scramble with 1/2 teaspoon of Original was borderline inedible.

Also: Bacon Salt works equally well as the star seasoning (going solo on the steak, shrimp, and asparagus) as it does as a contributor (with garlic on the potatoes, with a bunch of stuff in the sabayon). The one exception I discovered: I put a small splash of truffle oil on one bite of the 3/8-tsp egg dish and found it, with the bacon, to be overpoweringly intense.

And finally: The flavor can be reduced a fair amount if you add the Bacon Salt early in cooking. Plan to add a little more at the end. Also, it can get clumpy if you add it to a liquid ingredient (like stirring it into the pre-cooked eggs), so make sure to whisk thoroughly.

Other than that, the taste testing was a success, and freed the imagination. Some ideas: mixed with hamburger and onion for grilling; in salad dressing; with wilted spinach and butter; in deeply caramelized French onion soup; in the breading of fried chicken; on Brussels sprouts tossed with apple-cider syrup; on bruschetta; in pate; as an element of a slow curing rub, especially for seafood (compare); in duck fried rice; and more.

I suspect it'll prove itself useful as a supporting and unifying element in more complex dishes, and will stand up to powerful flavors; imagine a white pizza (olive oil base, garlic, no tomato sauce, mozzarella and/or ricotta and/or provolone cheeses) with anchovies, roasted red peppers, basil, and Bacon Salt. And if there's anyone out there in Doperland who has a secret family recipe for from-scratch barbecue sauce, I will bet you a public blowjob that no matter how good it is now a careful infusion of bacon salt will put it into freaking orbit.

Oh, and as expected, it'll be brilliant on popcorn, french fries, and corn on the cob, no question.

But at the end of the day, it's just a seasoning salt.

Offer of public blowjob may not be valid in your area. Please check local regulations.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:08 AM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

I love this board.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 AM

.........blowjob....heh

Will that be with bacon salt or without?

Last edited by chowder; 07-24-2007 at 11:35 AM..
Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 PM

Er, any chance of anyone creating Bacon Sugar? I've got a Cajun Redneck Hubby who seriously wants this for his morning coffee---
Old 07-24-2007, 01:10 PM

Looking over my long post above, I see some crummy phraseology I should have fixed during preview:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
And finally: The flavor can be reduced a fair amount if you add the Bacon Salt early in cooking. Plan to add a little more at the end. Also, it can get clumpy if you add it to a liquid ingredient (like stirring it into the pre-cooked eggs), so make sure to whisk thoroughly.
Two things

First, I meant to say, "The flavor can be degraded by heat if you add the Bacon Salt early in cooking." It stood up well to a quick sear on the outside of the ribeye but I did use a lot and I also employed the ATK method so the flavor penetrated the meat before the sear. In the eggs and the shrimp/asparagus, the aroma and flavor was lessened during the few minutes of cooking. Therefore, in sautees and stir-frys, start with some seasoning to get it into the food, and add some more shortly before serving.

And second, "pre-cooked eggs" makes no sense. I meant "uncooked eggs prior to cooking." But you knew that, right?

Oh, and by the way, I want to make my own potato chips with it, too. Mmmm.

bacon bacon bacon

blowjob

bacon
Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM

so it's.......

three shakes of bacon salt
blowjob
one shake of bacon salt

Jeez, you drive a hard bargain
Old 07-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But if you're looking for a mindblowingly transcendant experience, this isn't it. Despite the crackhead babbling in the thread (mine especially), our collective tongue, I think, is at least partly in cheek. We know it won't be that good. We may hope, but we know we should stay realistic; this won't really be a life changer. If that's what you actually expect, this will be a letdown. I was expecting a seasoning salt ranging from good to very good; I am impressed that it lands in the upper range of my scale.

The thing is, though, this doesn't provide the total bacon experience.
I'm sorry I must reject you totally.
::: fingers in ears:::
LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA..LA
I can't hear you.

Good job, I suspect you are 100% right about the salt

and the blowjob.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I ordered mine at 10 pm Saturday night. Yesterday afternoon I got the delivery confirmation email. This afternoon my Bacon Salt arrived. I'll try it with dinner tonight.

It does help I live only 20 miles from where it was shipped.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 AM

To heck with the Bacon Salt, I wanna know when Cervaise wants me to show up for dinner.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 AM
BANNED

Cervaise, I'll bet a public porking that I can make a better barbecue sauce without the bacon salt ...If not, I'll take the blowjob. There doesn't seem to be a downside. That's a bacon battle that I could really get into.

And Cincoflex, No reason you can't use the candied bacon from my recipe as a straight up coffee baconater. Maybe grind a few rashers with actual coffee beans and brew up some french press or drip.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

This is NOT FAIR. I was the first person in this thread other than the OP to order and I have yet to receive my confirmation email!

Bastards!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

While looking at the Bacon Salt blog, I saw a link to this.
Artisan bacon delivered straight to your door.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 AM
BANNED

I notice the cobb bacon (alternately, cob bacon), from your link. Is that corn cob smoked bacon? Or a proper name?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

Beats me.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:41 AM

http://gratefulpalate.com/?p=Category_11

The fact that there is a bacon-of-the-month club basically just solidified what I'm asking for for Christmas.

Also, I submitted this very thread to the bacon salt customer reviews. Who knows, maybe the bacon gods will grace us with their presence.

Last edited by Captain_C; 07-25-2007 at 03:43 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the review, Cervaise! What's the ATK method?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Artisan bacon delivered straight to your door.
For a second there, I was trying to figure out what in the heck artesian bacon was. Like Cervaise's post, I'd think mouthwatering perhaps.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew
I'll bet a public porking that I can make a better barbecue sauce without the bacon salt ...If not, I'll take the blowjob. There doesn't seem to be a downside.
Regardless of results, the real winners in any such contest would be the tasters.

Renee, ATK = America's Test Kitchen, publishers of Cook's Illustrated. In a recent issue, they proposed an alternate technique for cooking steak. To wit:

The standard method, as described in just about every cooking reference I've ever seen (frex, frex), is to sear the meat in a heavy pan on the stovetop, and then move it to the oven. (Most people have a mistaken notion that the sear will "seal in juices," which in fact isn't the case, but that's a different subject.) This produces acceptable-to-good results, but occasionally results in an unattractive "gray line" at the transition point between the seared outside and the rare interior. This is a common problem when people try to cook steaks too recently removed from the cold of the refrigerator. The cause is simple: as the steak is searing, by the time the outside is nice and browned, the heat has penetrated the meat and, at around 150F, changes the meat's myoglobin (which makes it red) such that hemichrome is produced (which is what makes cooked meat grayish brown). If things happen perfectly with the standard method, and if you've given the steak plenty of time to come up to room temperature and don't try to cook it straight from the refrigerator, the heat penetrates the meat at a fast and uniform rate, and the steak is either browned or rare, without any in-between. If you get any in-between cooking, though, you'll produce a "gray line."

The ATK people, after some experimentation, discovered that the best way to avoid this is to switch the order of cooking: start the steak (seasoned) in a low-temperature oven (<200F), warm it to ~100F in the middle (a little less for very rare, or up to ~120 for medium-rare), and then move to the stovetop for an exterior sear. The resulting steak is very tender, all the way through, warmed to the middle but still brilliantly pink, with a fantastic exterior crust, and no risk of gray line. I swear by the technique now, whether or not I'm cooking the steak straight out of the fridge.

Use a meat thermometer during the oven step, until you get familiar with how the meat behaves and can guesstimate doneness by time and appearance.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Pseudolegal

Cervaise, after your dedication to fighting all of our ignorances in fine fashion, I'm just going to resume my role as Bacon Pope. You, sir, are clearly the Bacon Pimp!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 AM

Can't help but wonder what's become of lno, our original Bacon Ho.

Last edited by lieu; 07-25-2007 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Twern't bold enough.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The ATK people, after some experimentation, discovered that the best way to avoid this is to switch the order of cooking: start the steak (seasoned) in a low-temperature oven (<200F), warm it to ~100F in the middle (a little less for very rare, or up to ~120 for medium-rare), and then move to the stovetop for an exterior sear. The resulting steak is very tender, all the way through, warmed to the middle but still brilliantly pink, with a fantastic exterior crust, and no risk of gray line. I swear by the technique now, whether or not I'm cooking the steak straight out of the fridge.
This is how I do steaks on the grill. Set the grill to smoke at about 200-250 degrees. Add wood chips for smoke. Cook the steak until it reaches the proper temp inside (120-125 for med rare).
Remove the steak, fire the grill up to nuclear. When you have the grill as hot as you can get it, replace the steak on the grill for about 2 minutes per side. If you turn the steak 90 degrees after one minute, you get those cool crisscross grill marks.

Best steak you will ever eat. The only way to improve on it would be bacon salt.

Last edited by Rick; 07-25-2007 at 11:56 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF038AD-Bacon_Egg.jpg#106
Old 07-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I bought some, and I am going to surprise my man with bacon-flavored burgers as soon as the salt arrives.

Thank you for sharing. I love this place.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Pseudolegal

Silenus, check your mail when you get home, just in case. I have Bacon Salt!!!!!

Crap...what a fool I am! I haven't bought anything to put it on!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian
I haven't bought anything to put it on!
Aren't you married?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Silenus, check your mail when you get home, just in case. I have Bacon Salt!!!!!

You mean there's no food at all in your house!?!
Old 07-25-2007, 03:35 PM

The Bacon Salt arrived at about 2:00pm. I constructed my tomato and avocado sandwich on pumpernickel with mayo at about 2:05pm (sprinkled liberally with the original Bacon Salt).

Man, was that good! Ripe 'maters and avocado are good by themselves, but in a sandwich like that, well, it don't get much better.

I'd have another, but my diabetes meal plan says I've reached my carb limit for today.

I might just have me a BLT salad, though.

Mmmmmmmm....bacon!
Old 07-25-2007, 03:40 PM

Ahem, we are on the bacon god's blog: http://www.baconsaltblog.com/

Cervaise's review was posted.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm kind of with Cervaise on the god question. Not only is there Bacon Salt, but I just realized that I had money sitting in my Paypal account, just yearning to be spent on it.

I've got a couple of ideas:

Pierogies with butter and Bacon Salt
Chicken brined in Bacon Salt
Bacon Salt compound butter

Come to think of it, Cook's Illustrated has a recipe for a turkey dry-rubbed with salt. I think a Bacon Salt turkey would be true cause for thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:39 PM

Dang. Got me for a sample pack.

mmmmmm. Bacon.

The idea of bacon-popcorn was too attractive to resist.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:58 PM

I got mine this afternoon. Bacon salt on instant mashed potatoes, that being the fastest available medium.

It's in little chunks like a salad sprinkle, rather than a bacon-colored "salt". Interesting.

The Original flavor is the most intensely "bacon-y", with a sugar-cured bacon aroma.
The Peppered has actual visible flakes of, well, pepper. Gosh.
The Hickory flavor is subtly nuanced, not the "truckload of fake hickory smoke flavoring" that I expected.

I haven't decided which one I like best yet. I put all three on the potatoes. It seemed simpler that way. Why choose when you don't have to?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Lookit this. Cervaise and the Dope have made it to the Bacon Salt Blog. It's a recursive sort of fame!

http://www.baconsaltblog.com/
Old 07-25-2007, 05:51 PM

Just got mine.

I had to rip open the box and taste immediately. Yummmm! Bacony goodness.

I sprinkled a little of each one on slices of an heirloom tomato. All are fabulous, but I think the Peppered is my favorite.

I decided to make myself a BLT. Cooked up some bacon, sliced some more heirloom tomato, grabbed a few leaves of romaine, crumbled some gorgonzola, and toasted some multi-grain bread.

Put it all together and added just a little more bacon to the B part of my BLT with some of the Peppered Bacon Salt sprinkled on the tomatoes.

I'm eating it right now, and oh my, is it delicious.

I will find many, many uses for these.

But for now, back to my sandwich.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Now I'm starting to get really angry. You won't like me when I'm angry, Baconsalt dudes. I hope they are continuing to read this thread.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Surely you have potatoes, man!?

If I ever find myself single, I'm marrying Bacon Salt.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:09 PM

I love how this thread has developed. First an explosion of joyful energy, as everybody ordered their Bacon Salt. Then a lull, while everybody waits for their orders to arrive. And now I'm beginning to sense a new surge, as little boxes of bacony wonder begin to appear in people's mailboxes.

And that will, of course, trigger a new round of ordering, as those who were waiting for lots of comments will be convinced to buy their own bottles, which will be followed by another lull, followed by the next surge of comments...

It's a Bacon-Go-Round!

bacon
Old 07-25-2007, 06:18 PM

I e-mailed the Bacon Salt guys this morning because I hadn't yet received my shipment announcement. They got back to me within an hour letting me know that they shipped my order! It's coming! Bacon bacon bacon!

Trouble is, it's coming to my office. I may have to kill my co-workers to keep them from stealing my precious....

--FCOD
Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 PM

Would anyone be willing to post a list of ingredients? The website says it's vegetarian, but I'm wondering if it's acceptable for vegans as well? Currently I get my bacony flavor from Bacos and other soy versions, but I like junk food and am always looking to add something unhealthy to the pantry!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Pseudolegal

Quote:
Aren't you married?
That's for dessert -- had to have something for dinner first.

Started off simple -- got some crinkle fries and added the original bacon salt. For some reason, Aladdin's "A Whole New World" has been running through my head since the first bite.

"I have not yet begun to bacon." -John Paul Jones

bacon bacon bacon
Old 07-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Tikki Tavi
Would anyone be willing to post a list of ingredients? The website says it's vegetarian, but I'm wondering if it's acceptable for vegans as well? Currently I get my bacony flavor from Bacos and other soy versions, but I like junk food and am always looking to add something unhealthy to the pantry!
If you go on their site and click "Buy It" there are "Nutritional Info" links underneath each of the kinds of seasoning with full ingredient lists and other info.

Upon looking, it looks like the Hickory flavor is the only one that does include some sort of milk ingredient.

Last edited by Dunawake; 07-25-2007 at 07:29 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 08:08 PM

I'm am so dying here. I want Bacon Salt. I need Bacon Salt. I need it or I will explode. (That happens to me sometimes.)

The problem is: I hate Paypal.

I expect that slooooooooooooooooowly, my need for Bacon Salt will overcome my antipathy for Paypal. Either that, or the Bacon Gods will start to accept credit cards.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

OK, they are forgiven. Just got an email promising me my precious baconsalt by uniformed courier.

bacon bacon
Old 07-25-2007, 08:44 PM

After some initial hesitation (chicken salt is always disappointing), I have read this thread, and the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer at Casa Dawg approves. Some bacon salt shall be at 37 000ft above the Pacific before too long.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
I'm am so dying here. I want Bacon Salt. I need Bacon Salt. I need it or I will explode. (That happens to me sometimes.)

The problem is: I hate Paypal.

I expect that slooooooooooooooooowly, my need for Bacon Salt will overcome my antipathy for Paypal. Either that, or the Bacon Gods will start to accept credit cards.
You don't need to sign up for paypal. It just uses paypal as the processor. You can just enter your credit card and not sign up for anything.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:50 PM

Stopped by my PO a couple hours ago, precious BS was in my box. So far I've tried it (original flavor) on some unsalted peanuts and the results are very tasty, no artificial aftertaste, just bacony peanuts!