The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Top Gear finding the N. Pole at 78 - 35 - 7

Top Gear drove to the north pole and did a victory dance at 78 degrees, 35 minutes, 7 seconds. Why is that the location of the pole, and not 0?
Advertisements  
Old 07-26-2007, 07:41 AM
BANNED

What is "Top Gear"?

By definition, the North Pole is at 90 degrees latitude north. The Magnetic North Pole is currently at about 82 degrees north, so I don't know where they thought they were.

What longitude were they at?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 AM

Is that a longitude? Since all lines of longitude pass through the poles, longitude is undefined at those points. Move any distance away from the pole and longitude becomes meaningful.

Top Gear is a British TV programme (nominally) about cars.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I was guessing magnetic NP as well, but they seem to be off by a bit. Still, close enough for a TV show.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 AM

The Radio Times said they were going to the Magnetic North Pole, though all through the program they just kept calling it the pole. My atlas puts that in the general area they were in, though remember that the magnetic poles do drift.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usram
Top Gear is a British TV programme (nominally) about cars.
That's selling it somewhat short.

Rather than being a British TV programme about cars, it is THE British TV programme about cars to which all other TV programmes about cars aspire. It's also one of the highest rated programmes on BBC 2.

It won an Emmy for Best Unscripted TV Show.

It's also coming to the US, with a version made especially for the US audience featuring US cars and guests but hosted by the British trio (and The Stig and probably Top Gear Dog too).
Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szlater
It's also coming to the US, with a version made especially for the US audience featuring US cars and guests but hosted by the British trio (and The Stig and probably Top Gear Dog too).
That will be interesting, because generally speaking, they've displayed a fairly uniform contempt of US-manufactured cars.

Last edited by Mangetout; 07-26-2007 at 08:53 AM..
Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 AM

According to Wikipedia, the latitude given in the OP is the position measured in 1996, a long way from the estimated current position mentioned by Baldwin.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 AM

I missed the last five minutes of that one due to an urgent need to be in a pub. Did the Hamster catch up in the end?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout
That will be interesting, because generally speaking, they've displayed a fairly uniform contempt of US-manufactured cars.
I wonder if they showed the Top Gear US special over there (I think TG is shown on Discovery in the US)?

Extremely funny, until it got to New Orleans where they gave away their cars to the victims of Katrina who needed them.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 AM

I think an appropriate next stunt for Top Gear would be to attach water skis to three cheap runabouts, and see if they can jump those cars over, I dunno, some kind of aquatic animal maybe. That would be good.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScareyFaerie
I missed the last five minutes of that one due to an urgent need to be in a pub. Did the Hamster catch up in the end?
Hammond lost, despite Clarkson's best efforts to write the Toyota off.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
If Top Gear-US does not display a fairly uniform contempt of US-manufactured cars, what is the point of filming it?

Si
Old 07-26-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usram
. . . jump those cars over, I dunno, some kind of aquatic animal maybe. That would be good.
Leap the jumbo squid?

But how could they ever follow that up?

Last edited by Small Clanger; 07-26-2007 at 10:17 AM..
Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I did a double take on that post above, despite the show where they took a Cadillac, pick up and some unseemly 1980s "muscle" car on the road, they've not shown much love for US cars.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Ahh, magnetic north.

I assume that the route to true north would have required too much fuel, or too much money, or it was known that the chances of falling through the ice were way too high.

Yes, Clarkson shows his insecurities by slagging American cars almost universally. Honestly, I really do think that he has a bit of a complex about being British, and he has to insist that they are the roxxor at the thing he cares most about: designing and building cars. Although he did insult Rover to the point that he may have been the thing that pushed it over the edge into oblivion.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

About the actual trip, the truck won only with the support of two support vehicles which replaced a shock, remounted a tire, and probably something else I forgot.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal
Yes, Clarkson shows his insecurities by slagging American cars almost universally. Honestly, I really do think that he has a bit of a complex about being British, and he has to insist that they are the roxxor at the thing he cares most about: designing and building cars
Not really, he has no love for what were two of the biggest car manufacturing bastions of the UK, British Leyland/Rover and Vauxhall.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szlater
Not so fast. As I learned from checking www.finalgear.com before swinging by the Dope, Jeremy has rejected the idea. The finalgear homepage links to this Sun Online article.

And despite Jeremy's slagging of American cars, do recall that he recently bought a Ford GT (and proceeded to make fun of it). He doesn't completely slag them - he agrees they go fast - just not around corners.

- From an American Top Gear fan, who religiously downloads the show via bittorrent (damn, someone should have mentioned there would be spoilers in this thread!). I first learned of it via a few showings on Discovery, but found out they were a few years old.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 PM

Clarkson liked the GT, but sent it back over a quibble to do with the alarm.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si_blakely
If Top Gear-US does not display a fairly uniform contempt of US-manufactured cars, what is the point of filming it?

Si
Agreed. With a few exceptions (Corvette, GT, GTO - well, that's really Australian) the US makes terrible cars. Which is probably why the big three are the crapper.

Top Gear is the benchmark for automotive TV shows and I believe it is the most widely viewed motoring show on the planet but somehow can't find those viewing figures.

If you're a car guy/gal and don't watch it, you owe it to yourself to get with the program (ha ha). www.finalgear.com has all the episodes.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Top Gear drove to the north pole and did a victory dance at 78 degrees, 35 minutes, 7 seconds. Why is that the location of the pole, and not 0?
polar motion

The actual axis of rotation rarely passes through the point we define as 90 degrees north. Instead, it wanders around in an irregular circle near that point.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:58 PM

Top Gear followed the route of the “Polar Challenge”, which provided logistics and support. It is a four-month self-supporting cross-country ski race from the Polaris Mine on Little Cornwallis Island, somewhat near the community of Resolute on Cornwallis Island, to the abandoned Isachsen Mine on Ellef Rignes Island, which is near where the magnetic pole was in 1996. It is nowhere near the north pole.

Here is a map: http://www.polar-challenge.com/detail.asp?articleID=10

Here is the Polar Challenge web page: http://www.polar-challenge.com/detail.asp?articleID=7
Old 07-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
About the actual trip, the truck won only with the support of two support vehicles which replaced a shock, remounted a tire, and probably something else I forgot.
They lost their secondary fuel tank.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:14 PM

While we're on the subject of vehicles in Canada's far north, if you ever happen to find yourself in Eureka (further north over on Ellesmere Island), and need a lift from the landingstrip, it is less expensive to be carried in the bucket of the front end loader than to be driven in the truck. (One of those odd bureaucratic things, according to one of my relatives who is a station manager up there.)
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 AM

Not four months, only four weeks, of which the race itself takes about sixteen days (the rest being pre-race training and a few days getting to the start line) -- sorry, my bad, I had the time confused with my cousin's shifts.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Looks like the programme's on YouTube.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmhauke
polar motion

The actual axis of rotation rarely passes through the point we define as 90 degrees north. Instead, it wanders around in an irregular circle near that point.
I'm not sure I quite understand what the Wikipedia article is saying. Is this a result of the crust slipping around a bit, while the majority of the planet's bulk underneath the crust stays fairly stable? Or is it something else entirely?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmhauke
polar motion

Yes, but not to the extent of 12 degrees of latitude!

It was an annoying feature of the programme that they kept referring to it as the "north pole" when it clearly wasn't. My TV guide described it was the magnetic north pole.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Wolf
Looks like the programme's on YouTube.
I'm stuck with dial up until I get in to work tomorrow.

But before I come home from work, you can bet that I'll watch it!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin
I'm stuck with dial up until I get in to work tomorrow.

But before I come home from work, you can bet that I'll watch it!
It's even slow-as on broadband here, Muffin (mind you, our broadband's snail-speed, so we're told). But yep -- the prog's a good'un!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler
I'm not sure I quite understand what the Wikipedia article is saying. Is this a result of the crust slipping around a bit, while the majority of the planet's bulk underneath the crust stays fairly stable? Or is it something else entirely?
Think of some guy spinning a Frisbee on his finger. The Frisbee doesn't rotate exactly around its center; instead, it wobbles slightly. If you were to take a high speed movie of the Frisbee and then watch it in slow motion, you would see that it rotates around a different point from moment to moment. This is caused by irregularities in the Frisbee's surface and the guy's finger motion. Similarly, Earth is not a perfect sphere - it's somewhat flattened and lumpy. There are also gravitational effects from the Moon and Sun, and to a lesser extent from other planets as well.

That said, it wouldn't account for anywhere near 12 degrees of difference. I managed to miss that little tidbit...
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 AM

I watched this programme last night (it was repeated on BBC2). At one point Jeremy Clarkson said "We are the most northern people in the world at the moment*."

The people at Alert (82ºN and change) might beg to differ...

* He then followed up with "Except for Michael Parkinson, obviously," which will no doubt have confused non-British viewers. (Michael Parkinson is a chat-show host and the epitome of the "professional Yorkshireman" and hence, well, very northern...)

Last edited by Colophon; 07-30-2007 at 06:42 AM..
Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon
* He then followed up with "Except for Michael Parkinson, obviously," which will no doubt have confused non-British viewers. (Michael Parkinson is a chat-show host and the epitome of the "professional Yorkshireman" and hence, well, very northern...)
Heh, heh! Thanks, Colophon. I couldn't quite get that bit, even though I remember watching Parkinson shows ages ago! Cheers.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Wolf
It's even slow-as on broadband here, Muffin (mind you, our broadband's snail-speed, so we're told). But yep -- the prog's a good'un!
Wow! That was the best ever Top Gear!

Two pieces of sacrilege, though. First, as already pointed out, they were neither at the north pole, nor were they the most northerly people in the world.

Second, and far more serious, was that the Devine Ice Goddess Matti used fixed heel bindings while kite skiing. Oh, Matti, how could you go so far only to go so wrong!