The Bacon Salt recipe contest thread

[Subtittled]
Asses will be kicked, names will be taken. All in Cecil’s honor.
OK everyone we have a recipe contest to win.
Here is the Bacon Salt people’s take on collaboration

So we are free to collaborate if we wish.
So roll up those sleeves and start creating.

I already submitted this one, but if anyone has an improvement to suggest, I am all ears

Any suggestions?

Just sent in my entry, I made it for dinner Saturday night. I used the hickory flavored Bacon Salt™ and it turn out great.

Pork Gravy over fried red potatoes
Can be eaten for breakfast or dinner

1 lb. Ground pork
½ cup flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ cups milk
4 large or 6 small red potatoes
¼ cup diced onions
½ cup diced bell peppers
vegetable oil, enough to coat bottom of fry pan
salt to taste
pepper to taste
Bacon Salt ™ seasoning, flavor of your choice.

Dice the potatoes inch ½ inch cubes. Place in hot frying pan coated with vegetable oil, turning regularly to brown all sides. Season with salt and pepper while cooking. Add the onions and peppers the last few minutes and cook till onions and peppers are tender. The potatoes should be nice and brown on the outside and fully cooked in the middle.

At the same time.

Brown the ground pork in a skillet till completely cooked. Break up the pork into small pieces while cooking. Depending on how lean the meat is, add a little bit of oil to barely coat the pork. When the oiled pork is hot, add the flour a little at the time, you want just enough to soak up the liquid in the pan. The pork should be fully cooked before adding the flour. Continue cooking till the floured pork begins to brown. Add about half a cup of milk and quickly stir it into the floured meat. Stir in the rest of the milk a quarter cup at a time, continue cooking till it coats a spoon. If the gravy gets too thick, add more milk. Season to taste with salt, pepper and Bacon Salt™.

Scoop a pile of the fried potatoes into the middle of a plate. Ladle the gravy over the top. If eating with breakfast, add a couple slices of buttered toast. If eaten with dinner, add a vegetable of your choice and a buttermilk biscuit. Save the last piece of biscuit to wipe up the last of the gravy off the plate.

If we post it here will it be considered as being “published”?

I’ve got a few ideas but I just got my Bacon Salt today and won’t have time to try anything out until after Labor Day.

Dang. Now I have to figure out how to turn this stuff into a recipe for a bunch of people, instead of a single-serving meal for me. Is there anyone on here who can convert units up?

It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, right?

From the email I got from the Bacon Salt guys

All right. Looks like I’ve got some work to do. :smiley:

I think I’m going to work on a bacon salt risotto.

I just made this, devoured it, and submitted it to Bacon Salt guys, although it seems almost too simple to qualify for a recipe contest:
Simple Summer Salad

One Hass avocado, chopped.
One hard-boiled egg, chopped
One medium-sized tomato, seeded and chopped
One handful of broccoli sprouts

Toss all in a bowl with Bacon Salt to taste. Eat!

Serves one as a meal; adjust quantities according to number of diners and whether it’s your main course or a side dish.

I happened to use Original flavor but I’m sure it would work great with Peppered or Hickory too. I found myself adding another sprinkle during the meal – more bacony goodness!

I haven’t tried it yet, but I thought of it and it sounds like it would thoroughly kick ass: Toss asparagus spears with olive oil, grill, then toss with peppered Bacon Salt and lime juice.

I am going to have to try that next grill night. I imagine it is like my bacon wrapped asparagus without all the damn greasy work.

After reading the original Bacon Salt thread, my money is on Cervaise!!

Cervaise, if you’re looking for a recipe taste-tester, let me know… :cool:

Is it cheating to use the microwave?

Drool, drool, drool. I have nothing else to add to this thread. I apologize. And I’ve never heard of Bacon Salt. But I swear I heard angels singing on high when I read this post. I couldn’t let this beautiful, heart-attack of a recipe pass without at least a hallelujah and amen! racer 72, may you be forever graced with all that is good and holy.
signed,
Julie (atheist)

Bump: I was on vacation for the last week and a half. Hence the lack of contribution.

I will have some things to share in the next few days.

P.S. I was shanghaied into cooking every night of my vacation (family fishing getaway in Alaska), and thankfully I had brought Bacon Salt with me. “Your red pasta sauce is so much better than mine!” said my mother. Yes, yes it is. :smiley:

Since you’ve bumped it, I’ll mention that I got an enthusiastic email back from the Bacon Salt guys saying my recipe sounded delicious and they’d be putting it up on their website. So yes, they really do read the recipe submissions.

Ok, some coallaberation. I have a basic recipe for a bacon substitute involving bacon salt. Any tweaks or ideas are welcome. Haven’t submitted it, don’t know if I will.

Vegan Bacon

1 square or brick of tempeh cut into 1/4 inch strips

1/4 cup of olive oil
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
5 tablespoons brown sugar
Hickory Bacon Salt to taste

Arrange the tempeh strips on a foil lined cookie sheet. Combine the oil, molasses, vinegar, and brown sugar. Baste the tempeh slices generously with the oil mixture and sprinkle generously with hickory bacon salt. Turn the tempeh strips over and the give another baste with the marinade and a coating of hickory bacon salt. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Use as a substitute for pork or bacon.

Great for stirfrys, or try a vegan pork sandwich with the addition of slaw and barbecue sauce.

ETF, your recipe is front and center on the blog today. Congrats!

Really? WOW! Thanks for letting me know.

scurries off to see

back

Ha! They left out the sprouts in the photo and hadn’t tossed it yet. That’s why it looks so purty. :wink:

But still :cool:

Ah, missed the edit window to add:

You can throw in a heaping spoonful of feta and/or goat cheese, too, and the salad’s gestalt changes but is still good.

I’m a winner!!! Well, almost. I just received an email that I was a honorable mention winner in the Bacon Salt recipe contest and have won a 3 pack of Bacon Salt.

Me, too! Got the notification today, in fact. My recipe is on the blog page right now.