The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNblueJeans
Yes, me, a simple janitor and you an important person with a degree. It must follow that only you can be right and that I, therefore, must be wrong. Sure.
I agree with you, with so many well-informed amateurs on this board, it was wrong of Guinastasia to make an "argument from authority" (it's wrong anyway, for that matter). But when you say things like this:

Quote:
Somewhere in Revelation, and I think other places in the Bible, too, it says
...you reveal that you're not well-informed on this subject, and therefore poorly-qualified in making the assertions you've made in this thread.

When FriarTed, Captain Amazing, Little Nemo and others are correcting you with specific Bible references, chapter and verse, and better knowledge of the European Union's workings than yours, is that not a clue to you that maybe you should have thought this out a little better before posting the OP?
Advertisements  
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Does this guy wear a blue turban? If so, I'm convinced!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Look, Guy, this ought to be obvious, but nobody can stop you from worrying if that's what you're determined to do.

In addition to the other points made here, didn't Jesus say that he would come back before his own followers died? If that didn't happen, there's not much reason to accept this antichrist/Beast stuff. This kind of doomsaying is called "millennialism" for a reason - it got very popular around 1000 CE (and hey, we're still here).
Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23
This kind of doomsaying is called "millennialism" for a reason - it got very popular around 1000 CE (and hey, we're still here).
It's actually called millennialism after the 1000 years that Satan is supposed to be chained and Christ will reign over a golden age, prior to the coming of the Anti-Christ and all that drama.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
It's actually called millennialism after the 1000 years that Satan is supposed to be chained and Christ will reign over a golden age, prior to the coming of the Anti-Christ and all that drama.
My 10th grade social studies textbook was wrong! How can that be?!

Wait, so there's supposed to be a 1000-year golden age before the antichrist shows up? Since that presumably hasn't started, that means we're very much in the clear.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 PM

I respectfully submit that current times are exactly like previous times, when it comes to people troubled by the random senselessness of life endeavoring to explain things via prophecies, visions and conspiracies.

Nowadays, instead of Children's Crusades and tarantellas we have the Internet to enable mass delusional activity.

If it is End Times there is absolutely nothing you can do to forestall it. Possibly the carefree doubters might appreciate a distribution of your worldly goods.
Quote:
I was referring to my having seen Jesus in the sky when I was little.
With diamonds?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 PM

There is no antichrist, so Dr. Javier Solana (whoever the hell he is) can't be it.

By the way, if "peace in the middle east" is a sign of the end times, the safe money wouldn't be on the resurrection or whatever any time soon.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Isn't the final goal of the Apocalyspe a purification of the Earth and those left over (behind?). Or is the point to be "raptured" so that you miss what comes next in God's lil plan for Earth? If God (Jesus) is going to separate the sheep from the goats and all that-what happens afterwards? Do all the sheep live in harmony? How can they--too many of one species chasing too few resources, no?

Which is it? What's the point of the Rapture, besides getting to live in the Light of JesusTM?(I'm curious).

Last edited by eleanorigby; 08-27-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GuyNblueJeans
I don't know if I qualify as a "Bible thumper," but I will point out that the scripture you present speaks to the day and the hour, not of the month or year.
Ok so tell me what month and year it will be. Whats that? You don't know. Hmmm

Dude every generation thinks they are in the end times get a damn grip. Imagine living in London the year of the great fire in 1666, I'm sure they thought they were in end times.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, me, a simple janitor and you an important person with a degree. It must follow that only you can be right and that I, therefore, must be wrong. Sure.
Thanks for misinterpreting everything I said. I merely mentioned that history is my area of expertise. You don't seem to know jackshit about it, to be perfectly frank.

I do appologize, though for my comments. My only excuse is that I spoke out of frustration. Let's just leave the comment that history is my bag and leave it at that.

Quote:
As bad as things have been in human history, they're nothing compared to all peoples of the world being lined up and put in a spot of having to either go along with this hatefreak predicted in the Bible, i.e. taking the Number and then frying in hell for the rest of eternity for having gone along with the program. OR, not taking the Number and getting one's head chopped off! (Imagine how horrible it will be to see little kids getting their heads cut off, as their parents scream!)

And this is happening WHERE?

Dude, I don't know what kind of drugs you're on, but I want some.

Also, didn't someone a few years back come up with an accurate portrait of what Jesus MIGHT have looked like, considering his background, nationality, and what all? And it looked nothing like the pictures?

Last edited by Guinastasia; 08-27-2007 at 01:20 PM..
Old 08-27-2007, 02:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner
GuyNblueJeans writes:

> Why are you trying so hard to nit-pick at everything I say? Wouldn't you have
> been smarter to have asked something like, "Why would Jesus appear like that
> to you?" Or, "Have you had any other encounters with Jesus since then?"
> Or, "Why did you call Him the man from the river?" Or... well, you get the point.

You know, you've been giving us the history of your beliefs and your visions just piece by piece. It would help if you could give us the complete story of your supernatural visions (and auditory experiences) all at once, as well as telling us how this has shaped your religious beliefs. As it is, whenever someone asks you how you know something is true, you reply with another event from your visons and beliefs. This makes it very hard to have a coherent discussion of your question, since we don't know how it fits into your worldview and experiences. Please, in one post, tell us about all your supernatural experiences (including things like dates, places, and the age you were when they happened) and how this has shaped your religious beliefs. Please also tell us about your religious background and how this fits into your experiences and beliefs.
I began this whole post by simply asking what others might have heard about this fellow Solana, and making it clear that I was inquiring about him and the subject in general with an open mind and really nothing more. But then things kinda turned this way and that way when people started calling me a Bible thumper and getting sarcastic as we went along ... basically attacking me and not the subject.

Personally, I'm only interested in the truth of things. And yet to some degree it strikes me that many people are more interested in taking shots at Christians for the purpose of situating themselves into some type of cozy rapport with like-minded people, leaving the pursuit of truth as a secondary thing.

While I certainly appreciate your suggestion that I basically layout my life story in order to bring things into focus with respect to where I'm coming from, the problem is that it would require me to write what would basically be a 900-page book in order to do it justice. I'm game for doing that, save for the fact that I'm not exactly a speed demon in the typing skills department, hence I could never cover that much ground.

Someone noted that my comments in how I framed a Bible passage remark suggested that I'm poorly informed in the scriptures, and therefore am not qualified to say much on the topic. But I never tried to make myself seem anything more than what I am -- just a simple schmuck trying to understand this profoundly strange thing called life. But I guess it goes back to your point that things might be easier if I layout the particulars of some of my mystical experiences and explain how I filter the Bible (of what little I think I understand of it) and what's going on in the world in general. But again, THAT'S a big mountain to climb! (And I'm not so sure I could endure that much ridicule that would certainly dog me if I were to try.)

Okay, just for fun, I'll layout in their sequencial order some of the things that I've experienced and/or have been witness to during my journey in this world. Of course, I can only give very brief discriptions and so there'll not be much improvement in terms of anyone getting a clearer understanding of where I'm coming from. I would guess that by my doing this it will at least suggest that some people's lives maybe a little more marked by mystical experiences than others, so maybe in that way something will be accomplished, I don't know.

First I want to make three points: 1) To me it is as Socrates said: Truth is like a barn door; while you can't help but hit some of it, you can't hit all of it either. 2) I actually have MANY questions/doubts about certain things said in the Bible. (I would have in time gotten around to them had I not been quite so much put on the defense.) 3) There are people that are aware of me and what I'm about, so I have to be a little careful.

Okay, the flamers I going to murder me but here goes ....

born 1954 in owosso, mi

1) before my birth I was with Jesus and one or two other males that watched me float up and away from a river bank.

2) i was in and out of my body going to and from oblivion, and those memories are hazy.

3) i woke up in my body siting in a ladies lap as a fellow drove. we licked tongues at her initiative, and then at mine. she told me, "you're going to be famous." a rat was in the car and the guy nonchalantly picked it up by the tail and tossed it out the window. we kept driving and then she said i was (now) going to live with my "real" family.

4) i met my family: one sister and three older brothers. dad worked at a car factory and mom was mostly in a nuthouse for bad nerves, i think.

5) on two or three occassions i woke up in my dad's truck and as we pulled into the driveway he'd say, "mom is home." i'd run to her as she stood outside the house, we'd hug.

6) a lady my dad met came to live with us. she unknowingly unleashed a sexual spirit in the house that wasted no time going after me. when i first experienced it, it caressed my private area and i said in my heart to God, "i'm going to sin." it was so unbelieveably beautiful and at the same time i knew it was totally evil. when i said those words in my heart a presense came into the room encompassing the whole ceiling area, and that thing, which i couldn't see, backed off and left (for a while). it was not a real noticiable presense at all, and i took it to be God. right after i stated my thoughts, it was communicated to me these words: "if you do what you are thinking about, it will be the same as destroying yourself."

7) i sat on a couch in the small house alone and said, "i'm ready."

8) i woke up in the car and saw Jesus in the clouds (and you know the rest).

9) i was sitting on the floor of the house (not knowing my mom was home in the other room) and this thing that sorta looked like a child's etcha-skitch line came straight out of near the top of a wall and flickered. with each movement, flicker, it telepathecally said this (and even point towards where my mom was): "go tell your mother that you hate her and that you want to stab her and kill her." it then went back into the wall and was gone. i stood up and called my mom and said what i was told to say. at first i started out like i meant what i was saying but caught myself half way through and finished. she slapped me hard across the face, cutting me with a fingernail, i screamed and did a little jig and then ran outside (knowing that i blew it). as i was heading out the door i heard a very faint woman's voice say that it was alright, i screamed back that it wasn't.

10 i started going to bed with my shoes on because i was depressed and my sister said i had to take them off. after a day or so i felt better and reflected on what had happened and said in my heart/mind "one day i'm going to tell on them because of what they did to me."

11) i was dropped off by some people and was standing inside the house while others were putting up things on the walls for halloween or someone's birthday, and i thought "i was away for awhile but don't remember what things were about. but it was bad and it had something to do with witches."

12) my brother gale and i were out at this tiny, delapadated house and he said that the lady ruby had died. we walked around in it and i asked myself, "is this her? is she the one?" i quickly concluded that she wasn't and we went on to do something else.

13) i out of the blue suddenly had a very strong interest in women's feet. i wanted very much to see, touch ... the neighbor ladies feet, mrs. timm. it left after i'd guess a couple of weeks as quickly as it came.

14) since my fall from grace, i was finding it impossible to keep myself from making it a point to place my head under the butt of my dad's lady friend. she's sit on the couch's arm talking to someone and i'd act like i was sleepy and go and lay my face as close to her ass as i could without getting slapped around for it.

15) we moved to a basement house. it was circa 1960, i think. i was around 6. my dad's lady friend and her girls were now living with us, in a house that only consisted of a basement and garage.

16) a black panther escaped from a carnival in or near ovid, mi. a guy on the radio would interupt the show and say something like, "they haven't found the black panther yet. experts ssay it screams like a woman during the day and cries like a baby at nite (or maybe it was visa versa). i was intrigued.

17) someone took me and my brother to chuch, a rare thing, and the preacher was saying "if you ask God to do something and it's in His will, He'll do it. but you have to have faith, you have to believe." i was so small then that i couldn't see him over the phew even though he was right there.

18) after supper one evening i ran across the lawn towards a plowed field and shouted, "God, let me see the black panther!" i stopped and looked in front of me but didn't see it. i looked to my right where the sun was going down, and did see it. i began turning my head towards my left while thinking that i don[t have enough belief when I saw a large black cat looking straight at me with its eyes glowing and its body at an angle where i could see its length. i became somewhat concerned and ran up into a wooden platform that my older brothers made in a tree. i soon came down and we to some steps to the house while thinking "what just happened doesn't happen to most people. if God loves a person so much then why does He just drop them off in some strange world." my brother gale came out and i told him that i saw the black panther. he just said 'really" and walked on. i didn't tell him how i came to see it.

I'll BRAVELY let this crud account of things be posted and then continue on going through some of the events of my life in the next post. i am afraid that if i don't post it now a timer might expire. so go ahead and have your laughs, but every word i'm laying out is the truth.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM

If anything, I gotta respect your courage man.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:33 PM
BANNED

I don't think anybody here's laughing. You need help we can't provide.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM

A solution to this conundrum might be for the OP to simply write Javier Solana for an explanation. A sample letter:

Dear Dr. Solana:

There is speculation on talk radio and the Internet that you are the Beast of Revelation.

Please confirm or deny.

Sincerely,

Now, I know of no reason the Beast would falsely deny its status. In fact, if Dr. Solana is the Beast, he might welcome this opportunity to get it off his chest.

Even if he does not come clean, you might wind up with some cool EU gear.

It's worth a try.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Did ancient Greece even have barn doors?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'm only interested in the truth of things. And yet to some degree it strikes me that many people are more interested in taking shots at Christians for the purpose of situating themselves into some type of cozy rapport with like-minded people, leaving the pursuit of truth as a secondary thing.
Not Christians in general. Just your specific circumstances, I think. After all, some people who've disagreed with you in here are themselves Christians.

And I really wouldn't say it's at the expense of truth. If they had no interest in truth but just in insulting you then that's what this thread would be filled with, insults. And some are just plain insults, sure, but some people seem to be honestly trying to explain and understand. I think maybe you're using generalisations as both attack and defense here far too much.
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
I began this whole post by simply asking what others might have heard about this fellow Solana, and making it clear that I was inquiring about him and the subject in general with an open mind and really nothing more.
Your responses to statements that he isn't the Antichrist indicate that you aren't approaching this in an open-minded way. I don't see any evidence that everything is worse/more dangerous/more sinister than ever before. This being the only historical era you have ever lived in, I don't see how you could know that.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby
I have a question. AFAICT, fundamentalists (Bible literalists) do NOT think that God is coporeal here on Earth right this minute, correct? They think (as do most Christians) that God became manifest in Jesus, and Jesus went to join his heavenly father, leaving the Tomb behind, and Mary Magdalene without a gardener. IMS, Jesus did a deal of wrestling with his conscience, the stupidity of those around him and those in power--which eventually killed him. He never faced a corporeal Satan, ever. (by all means, correct me if I am wrong--I make no claim to know the Bible (King James) chapter and verse).

Why--o--why would they then think that Satan is somehow coporeally manifest in ONE person, here on Earth today? If I were Satan (and believe me, I am rather cross today)--I would NOT come to Earth in the guise of one person--I would "infect" any number of people with my Wicked EvilnessTM or my Evil Wickednesspatent pending.

Ok, so I'm mocking a bit--but the question is a valid one. How many times in the course of history have people thought that X group or This Person was the Anti-Christ--and been proven wrong? The Salem witch trials, The Inquisition (insert Monty Python joke here), the Fatima chick (did she deal with Satan-can't remember).....none of them have er, panned out.

So, given this history of "crying wolf"--why o why do these people just keep changing horses, instead of questioning the journey?

Color me baffled and not a little impatient with such nonsense.

I don't know how corporeal it was, but Jesus did seem to deal with a personal Satan when He was tempted in the Wilderness (Matthew 4). And I believe all three synoptic Gospels say that Satan entered into Judas to betray Jesus, though that may have been metaphorical.

I assume you mean Sister Lucia as "the Fatima chick"- no, I never read of her having any confrontations with the Devil. Her visions were mainly Mary, maybe a few of Michael & one of the Trinity-with a crucified Jesus in the center.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin
I don't think anybody here's laughing. You need help we can't provide.
I second this. GuyNblueJeans if you are really, TRULY seeing and hearing these things, then you just might want to see a psychiatrist. Seriously.

Please, get help.

ETA: My advice has nothing to do with believing or not believing in God (And for the record, I do believe in god, just not in any particular religion or whatever.). It has everything to do with the fact that if you're hearing voices telling you to stab people, then that's a serious sign that there's something majorly wrong.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 08-27-2007 at 02:57 PM..
Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I'll BRAVELY let this crud account of things be posted and then continue on going through some of the events of my life in the next post. i am afraid that if i don't post it now a timer might expire. so go ahead and have your laughs, but every word i'm laying out is the truth.
I'm not saying this to be mean or to make fun of you, but to present a possibility you may not have considered.

It sounds to me like you were sexually abused as a kid, and that you may be suffering some mental health problems as a result. I'm not a doctor, and even if I was I couldn't pretend to make a diagnosis over the Internet. On the other hand you mentioned evil spirits touching you and voices telling you to kill your mother. These are certainly not normal experiences. I respectfully suggest that you see a mental health professional.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Agreed with the Baldwin and Guinastasia. Regardless of what you may believe, those experiences are not a common or normal part of growing up Christian. I had some unnecessarily flippant replies earlier in this thread, but I retract those now that I know that there's some obvious mental illness involved here.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
BANNED

note: in these early mystical events of my life i can't be 100% certain that they happened in the order that i'm laying them down, because i wasn't keeping a written journal. i place them in the order that they make the most sense to me.

19) around the next day, i came outside at about the same time and saw my brother gale on top of a tractor that was park next to the house. he was breathing gasoline from one of the openings. i noticed that there was another opening towards the front and began doing what i saw him doing. i liked the oder. things were all black because my eyes were closed and then i heard the carss talking as they went down the old hiway in front of the house. then a noise began and it got louder and louder and louder (very much like the song by the beatles, a day in the life). and then, just like that, all the blackness was gone and i saw millions upon millions of people fighting shoulder to shoulder with swords! they were all screaming and fighting each other! the vision only lasted maybe three seconds and then just like a camera shutter, my middle eye closed and i was back to this world! i found myself standing a ways from the tractor in the middle of the back yard lawn. my brother gale called me from behind and we went into a dirty, empty chickn coop and he talked about something. i was to shaken up to say what had happened or anything at all, for that matter.

20) flunked 1st or 2nd grade. never did the homework and was acting up in the one-room school house. there was nearly zero intellectual conversations in the place with my dad hitting the bottle and causing a ruckous, hitting us with his belt. (sister told me years later that in those days he was making her and my brother ron do bad things while he drove his car and drank. he's now dead.)

21 still having problems with avoiding trying to place myself in letha's crotch. would sit on the sewing machine bench acting like i was interested in learning to sew, and couldn't resist the urge of sliding a hand under her just as she sat down. she would at times tease me by sitting in my lap on occassions and then quickly get up laughing.

22. in a room with gale and someone enters and says dad wants to know if you and gale would like to go into foster care. i had no idea what that was but agreed just because it wasn't a good idea to disagree with him in anyway lest the belt come out.

23. in a foster home and dad picks me and gale up on most weekends.

24) the social worker overlooking our case decides we need to move to a state-run home in ann arbor. lots and lots of kids, big 3 or 4 story building. (this was when sunny liston and clay were about to have their big fight.)

25) president kenndy is shot and beatles are on the scene in ameriaca.

26) called into an office with my brother and am told that i'm going to michigan's children's psychiatric hospital, mcph, and that i'll be seperated from gale. i don't like this.

27) on the 5th level i'm introduced to a psychotic hatefreak. i quickly become friends with him as best i can so as to get him to like me. he, me and this other kid do bad, bad things with the little girls sharing the ward. not intercourse but making bad requests. i'm losing all self respect, as the hatefreak shows me how to masturbate.

28) me and my new friends intimidate little girl (my age) for sex but don't do it though she offers. the hatefreak shows me and this other fellow during lunch how to down a spoonful of salt. i load mine up and so does don, the other guy that's lost his selfrespect and is afraid of the hatefreak david. that night i say my now i lay me down to sleep prayer with the nice college girl listening. she plays her guitar and i go to sleep and run into God's wrath! it was like being caught in a spider wed with nowhere to go, and as it moved closer and closer to my sorry soul like a formless, dull-white thing, it made me screem saying "No no, no, no!" as it was pure hate. i was released and ran out of bed straight for the office where the college psyhe workers write their daily reports. i couldn't talk and the guy or lady that was there said, "bad dream?" i just shook my head yes.

29) dad was visiting me on most weekends. at times he'd take me home to be with leatha and her kids. one time while driving home he told me to lay my head on his lap. i said i didn't want to and he yelled at me and grabbed me. nothing happened.

30) one morning i walked towards the TV room and was about to enter when i saw something i didn't like. a college girl was combing the long, beautiful hair of one of the girls living there on the ward. as she did she told her sweetly how beautiful she was. i left and came back later. the little girl, now alone, was walking towards me and with zero effort on my part, these horrible words blew out of my mouth: do you wanna F---?!" she gentally and quickly replied, "Go to your room." and again, with no consious intention on my part, these words came out: "WHO'S GOING TO MAKE ME!" with that, i saw from out of the corner of my eye small, black thing leave my chest. i walked away and thought, "i am no longer innocent. it's okay, i'll still get my money. they can get someone else to be their messinger." later, saying my now i lay me prayers, i was again met by God's hate for me. same thing, only this time He said: You bastard! I hate you! your going to tell them! You're absolutely going to tell them!" i again screamed and was finally released.

31) i sat slumped over in the hall the next morning and was sent for evaluation. the shrink asked me what the nightmare was about but i couldn't go into it. i knew that i would become somewhat deformed as a result of nearly being ripped apart by God's anger on two occassions.

32) after around 7 months of being there, i was informed that i was going to muskegon's children's home in muskegon, mi. first day: two older black boys came into my room and intimidated me; kicked and put a dent in the tackle box my dad bought me. (i was now on the road to reaping the bad karma i sewed.)

33) met a wonderful psychologist that liked me. his name was ken seabins.

34) housemother took us boys to town and we wathced the great race, starring tony curtis and natlie woods. something happened. in an office scene, with curtis sitting in a chair and wood, standing there looking at him, i suddenly became very excited and could hardly breath. it had to do with the look she was giving him, it was a sexual thing in her eyes!

35) was asked by my counceler if i'd like to live with him and his wife. i was too shy to say yes. wound up going to live with some people from the church he attended.

36) in holland with my new foster family. 1966, summer. buyer's remorse. my new mom became cold overnight and i new she didn't like me.

37) helped my new family move into another house. mom making comments at lunch time like, "the state is paying us a $1.65 a day for having you. that's a $2.00 meal."

38) circa 1968. neighbor friends and school mates turned me onto a stack of dirty magazines. i couldn't stop thinking about them. i noticed that they had X's on them. with one x they'd show some nudity that wasn't as revealing as the ones with two Xs. (none had 3 Xs)

39) around this time one of the most horrible things happened. a mystical thing by nature. i was in the house alone walking towards the dining area when, out of nowhere, i suddenlly found myself having to lay down on the couch. only for a few moments, i think. i then arose and i had the absolutely most horrible feeling come over me. (though not as bad as the times when God nearly ripped my soul to shreds.) i found myself wanting to escape! but i didn't know why or where to. it was like a knowledge of something that was of a spiritual nature, but i was deeply frightened and just wanted to escape! i went into the bathroom and though about climbing through the window. i tried to gather myself, and after a time the dread and fear disabated. it was horrible. [in the book michelle remembers, the devil is quoted in it saying "you'll know the time is here, you'll feel the dispair."]

40. rock and roll is at its height and the Doors are in LA getting things uderway singing songs like the End.

41) around this time, i had a similar yet different experience involving another thing coming over me. i was down in the basement in the room my foster dad made me, when this strange thing came over me. like the other one except this time emblazened in my mind were these words: It's happening! It's happening!..." I can''t begin to find the words to say how utterly dreadful I felt. I felt like my soul was gone. i somehow made it upstairs and my foster mom was sitting at the kitchen counter reading the local paper. she went into some talk about how she knew someone mentioned in it. i tried to act normal and thus i said, "she's the woman that made the bar in the basement." it made no sense and she knew somehting wasn't right, she told me to stay in the house. the horrible thing, like the other one, drifted away after an hour or so. (in the movie the Doors, morrison is shown being thrown against a cop car while saying to the cops, "it's happening to you and it's happening to me!")

I'll post this and continue on.......
Old 08-27-2007, 04:11 PM

Guy--I am not laughing and I am sorry for the snark earlier. I think you might need to talk to someone about your questions and the events in your life. Sounds like you have had counseling in the past, but one thing I've learned from my own therapy--it's a tool to be used when needed. I sense a real struggle in you: sexuality vs "purity" for one.

Re the knowing Jesus before your birth. Someone more learned than I will know the specifics, but IMS, this is a heresy. (are there Prostestant heresies?).

Best of luck to you.

FriarTed--thanks. I am horrid with names of people in RL and here, as well as in history. The only Biblical person I can recall with a physical struggle of a personal kind was Isaiha (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)--and didn't he wrestle an angel, not a demon? IMO, we all struggle with personal demons, no matter our faith or lack of it. Demon does not equal Satan to me, but I'm digressing.

Last edited by eleanorigby; 08-27-2007 at 04:13 PM..
Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It amazes me that so many people seem to have such an overly confident regard in how they see the world, as if they have a true grasp of what's going on.
So, it amazes you that people in this thread are overly confident about how they see the world--but you don't think that you also come across as overly confident in how you see the world? Because a number of people besides me have given you good, factual answers that explain why your conception that this guy is the Antichrist is wrong--yet you refuse to accept this information.

Quote:
I don't know if I qualify as a "Bible thumper," but I will point out that the scripture you present speaks to the day and the hour, not of the month or year.

So then, this means that you interpret that passage as Jesus is saying that the angels and the Son know at least the month and the year, if not the day and the hour, of the Second Coming? Because that IS what you're saying, you realize.

Quote:
There's something called increments.
Okay, so...show me your "increments". The mere existence of bar codes and scanners in today's society? Question: Why is it bar codes and scanners that are the "sign of the times", and not the fact that in Cuba, churches need a special ration card to make purchases?

Quote:
I began this whole post by simply asking what others might have heard about this fellow Solana, and making it clear that I was inquiring about him and the subject in general with an open mind and really nothing more.

< snip >

Personally, I'm only interested in the truth of things
But when people give you facts, you ignore them. I therefore infer that you are not really interested in "Truth", but only in airing your beliefs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as Great Debates is the forum for witnessing.

Quote:
Quote:
As bad as things have been in human history, they're nothing compared to all peoples of the world being lined up and put in a spot of having to either go along with this hatefreak predicted in the Bible, i.e. taking the Number and then frying in hell for the rest of eternity for having gone along with the program. OR, not taking the Number and getting one's head chopped off! (Imagine how horrible it will be to see little kids getting their heads cut off, as their parents scream!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
And this is happening WHERE?
In this Chick Tract, "The Beast".
And in this film, Image of the Beast (1980).
And in this book, Left Behind Book #8, The Mark.

"Fiction", in other words. The Chick tract doesn't show children having their heads cut off, and I haven't seen the movie or read the book, so I dunno about those. But "having your head cut off in a guillotine" is S.O.P. in these things. I have no idea why a French 18th century execution method has been selected as the mode of choice, why it's not hanging or electrocution or lethal injection. Or being forced to swallow hemlock, or being torn apart by wild horses, or being eaten by lions in an arena, or...
Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM
BANNED

42) **THIS remark should have been entered when I moved in with my new foster family: my nose was growing and many of the children were making unkind comments about it. i was called names, like pinochio.

43) a total loser in school and with the girls, i decided to join the army. 1973.

44) the hatred that the Lord felt for me when I was in the funny farm continues ... people in green putting me down for being ugly. i took solice in porn. (actually the porn movie horror began when i was still in michigan. would go into the savoy movie theater in GR and practically shaking in anticipation and would enjoy.)

45) germany, mainz. 1975. found a book on edward casey and liked what the lady wrote in the back about people and their karma, the laws of karma. i decided that i'd go ahead and take whatever crap people gave me and not respond to it. Christianity was good but i liked that someone was saying that everything is perfect and that one has to ride out the crap and get back on the right path.

46) came back home after two years in the service and found that dear old mom and dad, foster folks, didn't want me around as the checks in the mailbox stopped and, no doubt, my dear foster brother had told them a number of things that i'd done over the course of many dinners that were'nt to appropreate.

47) stilll into smoking pot, i quit the factory job in mi. and headed to washington state. a sargent in the army told me i could get a job out there working on ships. didn't happen.

48) in the seatle area, 1977, i mostly for the two years there worked at helping an old man out. i lived in his house at doing his cooking and driving. he was cantankerous but his family wnated him to have someone so i got the job.

49) on fridays i'd put the old fellow to bed and hop in my car and make the journey to downtown seattle. watch one porn flick after another smoking cigarettes and enjoying the warm, safe filth the theaters provided me, an outcast loser.

50) a madman is shooting people in ny york city. callls himself the son of sam.

51) old man in bed. friday. porn theater. and then she(!) -- the woman i was wondering about years earlier in ruby's house -- is walking through a door in the movie! i couldn;t believe my eyes!! i sat up in my seat and the bells and alarms went off, and i said to myself, "It's her! It's her! She's the one I've been looking for all of my life!" as I was swept up in the emotions, a not tooo friendly man's vocie dubed over the movie (i think) and said, "here's one that belongs to the devil." i was afraid but happy, and was VERY happy that she did a hardcore penetration scene. i drove back to the old man's house in my vw rabbit smoking a lot of cigarretts and knowing that a very major piece to the puzzle had arrived on my radar.

**i'm at a point where i am placing myself in a lot of danger. i'd like to continue but am afraid. i suspect most of you are having a lot of laughter at my expense, so maybe it's just as well that i end it here.

Thanks for your time and for overlooking my spelling (if you in fact did).
Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, please site for me when there was a time when there were so many atomic bombs floating around ... and when there was the type of high-tech tracking and monitoring devices along with eyes in the sky ... and video cameras popping up like mushrooms ... and people having access to hardcore porn via computers in their livingrooms?

I submit to you that these times are unlike any other times in human history.
Fancy toys aside, humanity has always been corruptible, horny, and violent. Absolutely nothing new there.

Well, except for air conditioning. And tooth paste. Multicolored tooth paste...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
i suspect most of you are having a lot of laughter at my expense, so maybe it's just as well that i end it here.
NO one is laughing at this point. At least, I'm not. I'm seriously, seriously worried for you. Have you EVER seen a mental health professional?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM

I don't think anyone is laughing at you, and I doubt anyone thinks that you're making this up. It's hard to respond to this, though, because saying what's obvious to normal people (you need help) sounds so quaint and petty, even though it's the truth.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM

If you re-read his posts you'll see that he's seen a psychiatrist and been in an inpatient facility. Neither was recent. It seems to have been twenty years ago or so.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Guy, for your own sake I'm asking that you stop posting your life story here. Please go see a therapist.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM

This has got to be Joe Bob Briggs posting...
Old 08-27-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinor01
Guy, for your own sake I'm asking that you stop posting your life story here. Please go see a therapist.
I have reported this thread to a mod*. (never done that before). Guy-please listen to those here: you need to get some help.

*posted re the reporting so that others don't.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM

I think we all have, eleanorigby. I know I did earlier.

I'm reading a biography of Tsar Alexander II, and it mentions that at one time, Peter the Great was seen to be the Antichrist.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Mod Rocker

[ Moderating ]

I'm shutting this thread down for a bit while the staff considers a few things.

GuyNblueJeans, are you familiar with the message board abbreviation "TMI" or the business expression "personality bleed"? While this thread is closed, please consider whether you really want to be posting all the personal information that you have out here for any poster (or visiting nutcake) to pick up and use to your detriment.

(In other words, at least for now, do not post any more tales of your youth--and consider not posting such information ever again.)

[ /Moderating ]
Closed Thread