What can I do to make canned sardines more palatable?

I’m trying to eat more of them for health rerasons. I don’t dislike them. I just find that after about one can a month they get really boring. Is there anything I can add, like mustard or hot sauce or something? Is there any brand which tastes better?

1. Feed to cat
  2. Wait 24 hours until processed by cat

3. nah, better not go there :smiley:

As a fish-hater, I’d say the task is an impossible one but how about adding to something like a tuna casserole (already slightly fishy), or adding to a pizza (are sardines that different from anchovies?)

Pasta de Sardine

Ingredients

• 4 oz. dry fettuccine pasta
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/2 lemon, juiced
• 1 (3.75 ounce) can sardines in tomato sauce
• pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
• 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for about 8 minutes, or until almost tender.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook for a few minutes until soft, then add the garlic, and cook until fragrant. Stir in the sardines with their sauce. When the sardines heat through, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the pasta is ready.
  3. When the pasta is almost done, drain, and add it to the sardine sauce. Stir, cover, and turn the heat off. Let stand for a few minutes to absorb the flavors of the sauce. Squeeze juice from the lemon over the pasta. Divide onto serving plates, and top with red pepper flakes and grated Parmesan cheese.

I put them on toast, with Dijon mustard, and hot pepper rings.

Your supermarket doesn’t sell them in hot mustard?

Sardines on saltine crackers - thems good eats.

I mash them with plenty of regular yellow mustard and eat them on crackers. Ugly as sin, but tasty.

I’m eating more of them, too, to try to naturally take down the cholesterol levels a little. I like them on slightly sweet good whole wheat bread, and then add something sharp like a squeeze of lemon juice and/or a sprinkling of capers.

And if you buy brands packed in the Mediterranean at Italian or Portuguese markets, they’ll just taste better right out of the can. I don’t know why that is - maybe they use a better quality of olive oil or something.

Never underestimate the power of garlic sauteed in olive oil. Plus maybe some tomatoes or capers or whatever is around.

My mother and grandmother used to make them just like tuna - mixed up with mayo and served on white bread. It was crunchy. They apparently served it to one of my Aunts by marriage when they first met her because they had no idea it was freakish.

I don’t know about specific brands, but I noticed my supermarket sells several different kinds ranging from something like $0.79 to >$2. I tried them all and there’s a big difference. The cheaper one contains larger fish (fewer of them, obviously), the texture is more coarse and there’s a stronger smell of fish guts (not necessarily a bad thing, but not always what I want).

Also they have both “in oil” and “in water” versions. I’m not paranoid about fat intake (as long as it’s not trans-fat) so I usually get the more tasty “in olive oil” version.

To uncooked rice and as much water as recommended on package, add sardines, minced onions, ginger, soy sauce in a skillet that can be covered. When rice is tender, mix and feed to your cat. :o
Our mother couldn’t get us to eat it, but if you like stuff like that. Bon appetit! :stuck_out_tongue:

It has been some time since I bought canned sardines, but I recall them being packaged with several different kinds of flavoring – oil, mustard, tomato, etc.

Go to Portugal.

Eat Sardines there. They don’t have them in cans.

Of course, after that, you won’t eat sardines anywhere outside of Portugal.

Tris

:eek:

Seriously, are you saying they come in jars? They sell them fresh? Is it worth looking around on the web to see if I can get something shipped from Portugal?

I must just be fussy, but when I discovered those little buggars were too small to have the guts removed I could never eat them again. I hear they’re good for feeding your flowers, though. :wink:

Use them as bait to catch something a little more edible (not that I consider fish to be food…but some people do!)

Sardines are not a specific fish. In Portugal, the ones they use are a bit larger, although still very small. They are oiled, Olive oil, I think, and strung on a string, and smoked. You buy them either loose, or on the string. They are salted, I think, too, although not much. I am pretty sure there are some other ingredients, although I can’t tell you just what. But man, they are addictive. A bit firmer, and dryer than the canned ones, of course. You can buy them in other places in Europe, as “Portuguese Sardines.”

Tris

C’mon people, if you really don’t like sardines why do you even bother to open these threads? The comments of how yucky you find them to be got old several sardine threads ago. The OP actually wants to eat them and did not ask to be talked out of it or grossed out. Believe it or not some people actually do like them, even if you may not, that’s how human taste buds work. :rolleyes:
I was raised on sardine sandwiches on white bread with mayo and lettuce and that’s still how I prefer them. Sometimes I throw on some chips for extra crunch.
I could never bring myself to eat the spines though, mom always took them out for me, now I have to do it for myself.

Serve them alongside something that you don’t personally consider to qualify for being called “food”.

For me, that would be oysters, beef liver, and rutabagas.

And, errrr, sardines, I’m afraid.