Which direction should my ceiling fan turn?

I’ve read about this online, but I want to post here to get a straight answer.

Look at the photos of my new ceiling fan here at Flikr.

Ceiling Fan

I’ve taken a photo while laying down looking up at the fan. I labeled one counter-clockwise and the other clockwise. What direction is the fan supposed to go in the winter?

Now, I also have a opinion question.

Does having the fan on in the winter make a difference? The fan is the right size for the room, but I don’t want to turn it on if it does not help in the winter.

Thanks!

See Ceiling Fan Direction - Ceiling Fans & More

Looking up, counter-clockwise in summer to have air forced down, clockwise in winter to push air up. You can also look at the blade pitch to figure out which way it is pushing the air.

No cite, but especially with a high ceiling, I always felt it was advantageous to keep the fan blowing up in winter, at the lowest speed, to force the hot air up there to move down. Seemed to work.

It depends on whether you’re in the northern or southern hemisphere.

The instructions on my new ceiling fans say exactly that - slowest speed/clockwise direction in winter to push the warm air up and then down-wards round the edges of the room.

Hmm… what I came to say has already been said. Might as well be smart-assed, then.

I recommend mounting the fan so the blades move parallel to the ground.

Mine goes both ways.

There are two blades that go CW and two that go CCW. It’s making a nice breeze now.

Our fan does not change direction, but the paddles can be tipped to change the way the air is directed, and there is a diagram for winter and summer. (It was cheap!)

As for does it make a difference - YES! We could turn our heat down by 3-4C and not feel colder. That made a big difference in our fuel bills that was very noticeable the first season after we got the fan. Now we have one in our living room and one over the stairwell, and they both really do help warm the upstairs in winter. In the summer, they do bugger all to help us feel cooler but whatever…