Cities/States With Prettiest Scenery

Over the last few days I’ve been thinking about where I want to live when I’m ready to settle down. The things I am looking for are:

Has mountains
Not too big
Has a college
Not god-awful expensive.

Sadly, the last one leaves California out of the mix.

I was thinking somewhere in the south because I love southern accents, but I was reminded by someone that I would have to be very careful in where I chose to live in the south because I am mixed (no matter how white washed I am).

So fellow Dopers, sell your favorite city/state to me.

Thank you.

My vote…Colorado, especially this time of the year.

tsfr

The most beautiful scenery I have seen is in Virginia, the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The most beautiful place I’ve seen in the USA is Alaska.

Man, I wish it belonged to Canada! Trade you New Brunswick for it?

[sub]Joke! New Brunswickers, just a joke![/sub]

I’m partial to New Hampshire, because I grew up there.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, seems to fit all of your criteria. The big Sandia Mountain overlooks the city, and several small mountain ranges are nearby. It’s the largest city in the state but of a manageable size; the last time I looked, it was about a half-million population but has probably grown some. The U of New Mexico is a big uni right in the middle of the city. And the cost of living is low. I loved my time living there.

Vermont is beautiful, in an understated kind of way. Also, Vancouver is excellent.

Then again, you could consider Bancroft, Ontario:

Has mountains?
Well, sort of. Really big rocky hills., actually, though the Eagle’s Nest just north of town has some very impressive granite cliffs. The area is known for its minerals. And lakes. And trees. And wildlife.

Not too big?
Around 1400 people. Sprawls a bit even so, especially if the Wal-Mart goes in. They don’t really get ‘walkable community’ there, even though it is, because everyone drives in from out of town, resulting in ungodly traffic jams on the main street. Also, the Greyhound bus stop is located way north of town across from the Canadian Tire store, instead of downtown like it should be.

Has a college?
Yep. A satellite campus of Loyalist College, named after the United Empire Loyalists (you know, the ones who lost the American Revolution). I took a couple of courses there.

Not God-awful expensive?
Expensive? Are you kidding? You won’t get much cheaper in Ontario and still have roads, indoor plumbing, or insulation. Friends are renting a nice little one-bedroom apartment for about $450 a month, quite a bit less than what I pay for a bachelor apartment three blocks from the sewage-treatment plant in Toronto.

Johnson City TN. Colleges: ETSU (part of UT), Milligan, couple community colleges. Near Asheville, NC- prettiest place in the US IMHO.

And we are all mixed here. For several generations.

Colorado, CSU-Pueblo, cheap to live here, mountains 20 mins away.

I actually lived there for ten months, but I hated it. Something about it just seemed dirty to me. I did live ont he AF base though, so that probably had something to do with it.
Thank you all for your suggestions. A lot of these places I didn’t even consider. Before this thread all I was thinking about were places like Oregon and Montana.
Beaucarnea, how’s the humidity there? I’ve lived in the desert all of my life, I don’t think I could last with humidity. Is it killer?

Yeah, actually, it really is. Heavy foliage, lots of lakes, rivers. If you have sinus problems. or complaints about a sticky, sweaty shirt, don’t even consider it. Pretty though, and most definitely multi-cultural with plenty of Southern accents.

Just about anywhere near the coast in the Pacific Northwest. Oregon: Salem, Eugene, Portland, etc or Washington: any of the coastal Cities such as Aberdeen, Olympia, Seattle, etc.

The most beautiful scenery I’ve ever seen is in southern Utah . . . some major national parks, especially Zion, Canyonlands, Arches and Capital Reef. Everyone should hike Horseshoe Canyon and drive Route 12 at least once.

Asheville, North Carolina, has the Great Smoky Mountains, is a smallish medium-sized city, has the University of North Carolina at Asheville (and the now famous Appalachian State University not far away), is very inexpensive, and has a large thriving cosmopolitan arts community comprised of people with ancestry from Africa to Cherokee.

So… nobody’s going to refute the statement that somebody of mixed race should be “very careful” about the South? Because that’s kind of insulting.

My votes (in order) are:

TN – has mountains, has rivers, has lakes, has pristine countrysides, not too expensive (getting there, though!) and has several colleges.

WA – same as above, except that it can be pretty expensive compared to TN!

OR – same as above.

Of course, WA and OR have the additional benefit of being right on the coast, which is awesome.

Just wanted to mention that when I spotted this on the main page, Thanks to Litoris being the last poster, I could sworn it said “Clitoris with prettiest scenery”

I thought “That’s gonna get locked in a minute!”

I’ve been in Tucson for all of 4 months now, and I think it fits your qualifications:

Has mountains Check. Mountains all the way around.
Not too big This was one of my requirements in the job search that brought me here. Tucson has culture, has things to do, but it’s not too big.
Has a college Yep. The U of A is here, along with Pima Community College.
Not god-awful expensive. Ok - more expensive than the last place I lived (Youngstown, OH), but not horrifying. Prices are higher than what I’m used to and I still occasionally do a double take at some prices, but for the most part, they’re ok.

LOL. That is all, please continue.

I’m not, I’m afraid. I’ve had plenty of experiences with casual and not-so-casual racism there. The worst was right in Nashville, TN, but pretty much all over the places I’ve been. Of course I’m not of mixed race.

I know it’s insulting…but all too often it’s true. I’m sorry it has to be that way, but it is.

Back to the OP: NY is beautiful, but expensive. I second Vermont.