The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 10-27-2007, 06:40 PM

Famous Successful People Who Took/Take Drugs

I was watching "the 100 scariest movie moments today" a documentary interspersed with lots of interviews with actors, directors and writers of horror. The number #6 movie was "The Shining" by Stephen King and the first words out of Mr. King’s mouth was that he was a major “head” during the 60’s. He clarified his statement by saying, “not ahead of someone but a person who tripped on LSD, mushroom and smoked pot all the time. This got me wondering how many famous successful people took or take drugs but manage to keep their shit together. People who came to mind were Marion Barry, Bill Clinton, George Bush, Dr. Carl Sagan, Dr. Francis Crick, H.R.H. Prince Harry, Dr. Richard Feynman, Steve Jobs just to name a few. Does anyone else come to your mind?

Remember kids don't do drugs or you'll never amount to anything! (Except president, mayor, future king, Nobel prize winner or computer mogul)
Advertisements  
Old 10-27-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Me
H.R.H. Prince Harry

<snip>

future king
His elder brother is the future King.

In the 19th century, from about 1860 on, there were many cocaine infusions and tonics generally available - Queen Victoria was apparently a user of such a potion called Vin Mariani.

Obviously a lot of actors have taken drugs - Robert Mitchum did time in jail for marijuana possession, and Cary Grant got into LSD in a big way.

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 10-27-2007 at 07:01 PM..
Old 10-27-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Dr. Carl Sagan
Wha?

I admire this guy so much (like so many) and had no idea. Did some searches on this and some things come up about "Mr. X".

A new found respect here if true.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 PM

There's no evidence that Bill Clinton was a regular drug user, just that he tried pot and didn't even inhale.

Marion Barry did not "keep his shit together," he was convicted of drug possession and did time in jail, and was henceforth widely considered to be an idiot.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

What does "keep their shit together mean"? If you mean, never show any signs of drug use to the public, the list is smaller. If you mean keep producing well-publicized work and take drugs, then the list is endless.

How would you rate these people?

Robin Williams
Britney Spears
Robert Downey Junior
James Taylor
Ozzie Osbourne
Timothy Leary

Last edited by Shagnasty; 10-27-2007 at 10:47 PM..
Old 10-27-2007, 11:05 PM

If Richard Feynman is going to classified as a drug user, I'm Keith 'effin Richards.

I think he admitted taking a hit or two off a joint, before going into a sensory deprivation chamber.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...H.R.H. Prince Harry...
"successful"
Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sonoran Lizard King
If Richard Feynman is going to classified as a drug user, I'm Keith 'effin Richards.

I think he admitted taking a hit or two off a joint, before going into a sensory deprivation chamber.
An incident he recounted in his autobiography, Surely You're Toking, Dr Feynman!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:26 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Sir Humphry Davy was addicted to nitrous oxide, which I'd always heard he invented, although Wikipedia does not mention his inventing it.

Walt Disney? Or has that been debunked?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I'd be surprised if Dennis Leary wasn't a coke head during his stand-up days.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Remember kids don't do drugs or you'll never amount to anything! (Except president, mayor, future king, Nobel prize winner or computer mogul)
Home run hitting champion....
Old 10-28-2007, 08:53 AM

Paul McCartney is currently a gazillonaire, a knight, the owner of the publishing rights of some of the world's best-known music by other artists as well as the songs he wrote that set the bar for aspiring musicians worldwide. He's been a major (soft) drug-head since 1965, and has been busted more than once, and has spent time in jail for it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 AM

Samuel Taylor Coleridge used opium, presumably more than once.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentalAdvisory
Wha?

I admire this guy so much (like so many) and had no idea. Did some searches on this and some things come up about "Mr. X".

Carl Sagan is known for writing his best work with Gaussian Functions high as a kite. There is a New york Times article Circ. sometime in the 90's called "High on the Theories of the Universe" I have that hard copy, where the writer and longtime friend of Carl Sagan wrote about Carl's affinity for the pipe weed and how he wrote his best most comprehensive work high...

I knew I loved him for more tha his celestial work!
Old 10-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hicks
See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fucking high on drugs, man.
First thing that came to mind when I saw the threat title! I think, from a creative point of view, drugs aren't necessarily a hindrance at all, and a lot of drug users will be very successful in their creative endeavours. As for other aspects of their lives.... well, clearly it doesn't always work out!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
There's no evidence that Bill Clinton was a regular drug user, just that he tried pot and didn't even inhale.

Marion Barry did not "keep his shit together," he was convicted of drug possession and did time in jail, and was henceforth widely considered to be an idiot.
Marion Barry was reelected right after he got out of prison multiple times ”After being released from prison, Barry was successful in his 1992 bid for a city council seat, running under the slogan "He May Not Be Perfect, But He's Perfect for D.C." In 1994, Barry was elected to his fourth and final term as mayor, serving until January 1999. On June 12, 2004 Barry announced that he was running in the Democratic primary for the Ward 8 council seat, a position he held before becoming mayor. Barry defeated the incumbent council member, Sandy Allen, on September 14, 2004, by a margin of at least 60–25%, setting him up to win the Ward 8 council seat in the November general election by a margin of 96–4%.”In July 2007, Marion Barry was chosen as one of fifty wax statues to debut in the Washington D.C. franchise of Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. Barry was chosen by a majority of Washington residents and tourists from Tussauds' "Top 10 Wish List," in a contest that pitted him against Cal Ripken, Al Gore, Denzel Washington, Carl Bernstein, Halle Berry, Martin Sheen, Marilyn Monroe, Nancy Reagan and Oprah Winfrey.[3] (wikipedia). All this after an IRS conviction in 2005 and a DU Iaquittal in 2006. So see you can do drugs go to jail and still be a mayor!

If you believe Clinton’s I didn’t inhale I’m sure you also believe he “didn’t have sex with that woman” too. Also read the title of the OP, it says “took or take” I said nothing about regular use.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P
I'd be surprised if Dennis Leary wasn't a coke head during his stand-up days.
On one of his comedy albums (No Cure for Cancer) Leary says "I did my share of drugs. I did my share, and your share, and your share..."

I imagine that most (although not all) actors, comedians, musicians have at least tried drugs, as it is in the nature of their creative culture to indulge.

I'd also venture that there would be a surprising number of well-known people in other walks of life who had at least tried drugs. Drugs are not that uncommon in this world (I mean, even people who haven't done drugs have probably at least had the opportunity, and have turned them down). So, if you told me Mike Wallace, or Donald Trump, or some other mainstream success had toked once, I'd believe you.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Andrew Johns (Wikipedia Link). Not necessarily that well know anywhere outside the US, but he was regarded as one of our best Rugby League players, and a year after his retirement it turns out he was taking ecstasy for the best part of the last decade.

I am not a follower of League, but looking at that wiki article, he seems to have done OK for himself in the game.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty
What does "keep their shit together mean"? If you mean, never show any signs of drug use to the public, the list is smaller. If you mean keep producing well-publicized work and take drugs, then the list is endless.

How would you rate these people?

Robin Williams
Britney Spears
Robert Downey Junior
James Taylor
Ozzie Osbourne
Timothy Leary

Keeping your shit together (KYST) to me means not acting like Brittany Spears but I think her problems stem less from drugs and more from her manager mom not being around anymore working Baldie like a puppet with he hand up her ass. No I’m talking about people like Stephen King Author of over 200 book (50+ best sellers) or Kery Mullis winner of the 1993 Nobel Prize in chemistry for developing the polymerase chain reaction or Dr Stephen Jay, Gould a signatory to a 1998 advertisement in the New York Times, which took two full pages to appeal for a new international drug policy. "We believe the global war on drugs is now causing more harm than drug abuse itself," the ad claimed.

(Other signatories to the ad included Walter Cronkite, former US Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, former Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach, former Secretary of State George Shultz, Mayor Willie Brown of San Francisco, Mayor Kurt Schmoke of Baltimore, Mayor Susan Hammer of San Jose, Milton Friedman, and a variety of judges, police, academics and other prominent citizens.)

I don’t really see any problems with anyone else on your list are they causing you problems? Getting busted doesn’t seem to bother R.Downey. Jr. he does it constantly yet still seems to keep getting work, if drugs were legal he’d have no problems. Robin Williams was a coke head during Mork and Mindy and his first two HBO comedy specials, Off The Wall (1978), An Evening with Robin Williams (1982) yet he was able to “KHST” and stop after John Belushi’s death and his first child’s birth and now he’s seeking help for his drinking. James Taylor wrote some of his best stuff all spiked out yet he “KHST” and sought treatment throughout his addictions and is popular to this day. As for Ozzie after all his drug abuse getting kicked out of Black Sabbath was the best thing that could have happened to him, his first solo effort achieved multi-platinum success. He then went on to Ozzfest and MTV’s “The Osbournes”. Timothy Leary was sucessful and famous almost entirely because of his drug use. In 1969 he sucessfully challenged the marijuana tax act as unconstitutional At the time of his death his staff updated his webpage with a log of the daily intake of various illicit and legal chemical substances, with a predilection for nitrous oxide, cigarettes, his trademark "Leary biscuits" (Pot crackers ), and eventually heroin and morphine. After his death some of his ashes went it to space along with Gene Roddenberry and 22 other well regarded individuals (we should be so lucky)
Old 10-28-2007, 11:36 PM

I see a universe in the atoms of my fingernail

Quote:
Wha?

Dr. Sagan was a super head

“Although most scientists are often reticent to admit or publicly discuss their use of illegal mind-enhancing drugs, there are some who are not afraid of openly discussing how marijuana or psychedelics opened their minds to new scientific perspectives.

One prominent example is astronomer Carl Sagan, who was a regular user of marijuana from the early 60's until his death in 1996. Like Gould, Sagan was also best known for his ability to explain his complex ideas to the general public (CC#32 Carl Sagan: visionary scientist).

Sagan was close friends with Harvard professor Dr Lester Grinspoon, a leading advocate of decriminalization. In an anonymous essay which Sagan wrote for Grinspoon's book Marijuana Reconsidered, Sagan explained how cannabis use had on occasion inspired him to produce scientific papers which won later acclaim.

Sagan disputed the "myth" of the pot high – that the insights achieved while stoned are illusory. "I am convinced that this is an error," wrote Sagan, "and that the devastating insights achieved when high are real insights; the main problem is putting these insights in a form acceptable to the quite different self that we are when we're down the next day."

One classic anecdote from the mid-1980's shows Sagan's devotion to the inspirational effects of kind buds. Grinspoon had received some unsolicited buds from an admirer, and he shared the high-potency joints with Sagan and his wife Ann Druyan one evening. Afterwards Sagan said "Lester, I know you've only got one left, but could I have it? I've got serious work to do tomorrow and I could really use it."

Although Sagan's pot use didn't become common knowledge until after his death, his last wife Druyan was a long-time board member and important fundraiser for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML).”
Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 PM

Hi Keith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sonoran Lizard King

Feynman was a brilliant scientist long before he sampled marijuana and LSD while in his mid 50's, but he did claim to have learned from the mind-expanding experiences. Feynman was a friend of John Lilly, a researcher who pioneered the use of the tanks, studied psychedelics and consciousness, and is best known for his work with dolphins. Feynman's use of these illegal substances was mostly in the context of experimenting with his own consciousness while in a sensory deprivation tank.

While experimenting with his mind and memories in Lilly's tanks, Feynman also met Baba Ram Das, formerly Professor Richard Alpert of Harvard, friend of Timothy Leary and author of Be Here Now. Das instructed Feynman in how to achieve out of body experiences, which Feynman accomplished while in the tank.

Feynman found that pot helped him to achieve the hallucinatory state he was seeking. "Ordinarily it would take me about fifteen minutes to get a hallucination going," wrote Feynman, "but on a few occasions, when I smoked some marijuana beforehand, it came very quickly."

Feynman also tried LSD under these circumstances, but in his biography Genius by James Gleick, Feynman is described as being "embarrassed" by his LSD experiences. Feynman also received some criticism from his colleagues for his admission. In an essay called To Smoke Or Not To Smoke, Dr Lester Grinspoon wrote that "Feynman, by courageously acknowledging his ongoing use of marijuana, won the respect and appreciation of many and the enmity of others."
Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 AM

Long live the Queen she ain't a human being!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan
His elder brother is the future King.
If you wish to pick nits isn’t his brother Willy only second in the line of succession after daddy Charles? (Isn’t it also true that if William was killed in a mysterious tank drive-by isn’t Harry next in line?)
Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Half of Hollywood...
Old 10-29-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Wha?

Kirsten Dundst was best friend's with Sagan's daughter and has said that he was a pot head. Sagan visited Tim Leary in prison, so I think it's safe to say that the good doctor knew his way around the recreational pharmacutical aisle.

Dennis Hopper has said that despite his screw up with drugs, he knows plenty of people who can handle them in Hollywood.

Hunter S. Thompson has to be counted in the successful class, I think.

JFK is rumored to have done LSD.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM

Between Paradox Press' The Big Book of Weirdos and other sources, I get:

Cary Grant
Aldous Huxley
Bela Lugosi

Several Popes and other famous people (whose names I camn't recall) drank Vin Mariani, a wime laced with cocaine in the late 19th century. Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, and Van Gogh (among others) drank absinthe, which may or may not qualify, by your definition. Thomas de Quincy took opium (natch. He wrote Confessions of an Opium Eater). Aleister Crowley was supposed to be a big drug user. Folks have claimed that L. Ron Hubbard was, too.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Hermann Goering managed to ascend to a prominent political position despite a morphine addiction linked to his gunshot injury in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch.

What?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Bill Gates. I've read a LOT of bio's of the man and a number mentioned his pot use when he was just starting out. And I'm pretty sure one mentioned LSD.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:15 PM

Who knew?

Here are some other people I found I tried to stay away from creative types

NEWT GINGRICH Gingrich admitted that he smoked marijuana when he was in college. He stated in 1995 article from The Economist, "That was a sign we were alive and in graduate school in that era." One year later he attacked Clinton press secretary Mike McCurry for making the same admission, and charged without substantiation that one quarter of the White House staff used drugs. "See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn't change, only the morality," Gingrich said. "That's why you get to go to jail and I don't. Any questions?" Yeah, how can you be such a hypocrite?

GARY HALL Olympic Medalist Swimmer Hall nearly missed the Games after refusing to pay a fine for marijuana use. He appealed against a three-month suspension imposed in 1998 by world swimming's governing body FINA after he tested positive for marijuana. FINA considered it was a second offence but Hall maintained it should have been considered a first infraction since the first time he tested positive -- at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics -- marijuana was not on the list of prohibited substances. Hall refused to pay the fine, saying: ``If that means I won't compete in Sydney, then so be it. It's a matter of principle.'' However, the US swimming federation decided to pay the fine on condition that Hall agree to conduct several swimming clinics for American youngsters without pay, which the swimmer accepted. I guess winning a medal is more important than being a role model sometimes. (Hello parents this “Pothead” is going to teach your kids to swim!)

JOHN HAY Former Secretary of State Was a “head” before pot was illegal.

JACK LONDON Author/Adventurer Wrote about the effect of a hash filled night.

MARGARET MEAD Anthropologist and author On Oct. 27,1969 she testified to congress in favor of legalization and she told Newsweek in 1970 that she had tried it once herself.

M. SCOTT PECK Psychologist/Author By his own account, Peck had "a weakness for cheap gin, marijuana and women."

ROSS REBAGLIATI Olympic Gold Medalist Snowboarder 1998 Won the first-ever Olympic gold medal in Snowboarding in 1998, but was almost stripped of his medal after testing positive for marijuana. The Olympic committee allowed Rebagliati to keep his medal
ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER Actor and Politician “I did smoke a joint and I did inhale, he said, taking a jab at President Clinton's famous statement. That's what it was in the '70s, that's what I did. I have never touched it since

DONNA SHALALA
Former Secretary Health and Human Services Former US Secretary of Health and Human Services Donna Shalala admitted to smoking pot in college in an interview with Diane Sawyer Pot smoking didn't seem to have hurt Shalala's ambition. After she served as president of Hunter College in New York City and in 1988, she was named chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the first woman ever to head a Big Ten school

QUEEN VICTORIA
Reigned Great Britain from 1837-1901 Another legal “head”
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM

William F. Buckley admitted to using marijuana -- beyond the three-mile limit. I gather he wanted to know what it was like. But he still supported anti-drug legislation. It's OK if you have the ability to cruise out to sea to smoke, evidently.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
While experimenting with his mind and memories in Lilly's tanks, Feynman also met Baba Ram Das,
Now I have this image of Feynman and Ram Das sharing a tank.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:11 PM

I'm king of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester
"successful"
He’s third in line to the throne, he’s a tank commander in the British army, he completed his education at Eton with two A-levels. Prince Harry was also appointed as one of nine new Commodores-in-Chief of the Royal Navy, He bangs Chelsy Davy a white African heiress when he’s not cruising for “strange”. We know you’ve surpassed him in everyway but he’s just a kid give him a chance.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Sigmund Freud was a major user and proponent of cocaine before it was illegalized.

Rodney Dangerfield was a major pot-head even in his 80s with a young Mormon wife.

Chris Rock recalled meeting his idol, Redd Foxx, long after Sanford & Son when he was playing Vegas, and being very disappointed that Redd offered him cocaine from his crystal hand-grenade container. (Rock is anti-drug.)

Gore Vidal claims to have tried every illegal drug other than intravenous ones as research for his books, but has never been a habitual user of anything other than alcohol. (He also loathes cigarette smoke, though his partner of 50 years smoked like a steel mill.)

One of the strangest/most sordid celebrity drug users you wouldn't expect: Max Wright, the skinny nebbishy older guy who played the father on Alf, was a crack smoker (caught on camera no less).

Robert Graves, poet and novelist most famous for I, Claudius, was a major proponent even in old age of hallucinogens (especially mushrooms). He said in his Playboy interview that he believed each young man should be left alone with hallucinogens for a few days when he turned 16 or so as part of a rite of passage; I don't know if he tried this with his sons or not.

Last edited by Sampiro; 10-29-2007 at 03:19 PM..
Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM

Hitler, a notorious anti-smoker, anti-drinker, and vegetarian, nevertheless was a constant pill-popper and used liquid cocaine based medicines prescribed by his doctor, Theodor Morell.

Fictional character, but Sherlock Holmes was one of the most famous coke users in literature. I would guess, but don't know, that his creator, Arthur Conan Doyle, used it as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 PM

My Kid's not a problem it's just a phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
William F. Buckley admitted to using marijuana -- beyond the three-mile limit. I gather he wanted to know what it was like. But he still supported anti-drug legislation. It's OK if you have the ability to cruise out to sea to smoke, evidently.
It’s funny how many anti-drug crusaders have "real" dopers in their family.

Rep. Randy “Duke” Cunningham, who has supported the death penalty for drug traffickers, made a tearful plea to U.S. Judge Reginald C. Lindsay for leniency for his son. Prosecutors supported the sentence, which is half the mandatory five-year term for such an offense. Todd Cunningham was arrested on January 17, 1997, by DEA agents for flying more than 400 pounds of marijuana into Lawrence Municipal Airport in North Andover, Massachusetts. Duke did manage his own illustrious jail term at a later dat, on November 28, 2005, Cunningham pleaded guilty to tax evasion, conspiracy to commit bribery, mail fraud, and wire fraud in federal court in San Diego, jet fighter hero and all. I wonder if he got into his kids stash or if he just said No!

On July 24, authorities at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport arrested Claude Shelby, the youngest son of US Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL), for possession of 13.8 grams of hashish. Claude Shelby, 32, is married and has one child.

Darlene Watts sister of U.S. Rep. J.C. Watts (R-OK), was charged with possession and distribution of marijuana, methamphetamine, and drug paraphernalia, and maintaining a property where drugs were kept. She pleaded guilty to six drug-related counts in March 1998

Son of U.S. Rep. Dan Burton (R-IN) in Jan 1994 Dan Burton, Jr., was arrested in Louisiana for transporting nearly eight pounds of marijuana in the trunk of his car. Six months later, Burton was arrested again, this time at his Indianapolis apartment, where police found thirty marijuana plants and a shotgun with ammunition. Federal prosecutors declined to prosecute the case; Indiana prosecutors recommended dismissal of the charges against Burton; and a Louisiana judge sentenced him to community service.

OTHER CASES: Other cases that have ended relatively favorably for family members of politicians include: marijuana and cocaine possession and distribution charges against Richard Riley, Jr., son of Education Secretary Richard Riley; cocaine possession charges against Gayle Rosten, daughter of then-U.S. House Ways and Means Committee chairman Dan Rostenkowski (D-IL); cocaine distribution charges against John Murtha, son of U.S. Rep. John Murtha (D-PA); cocaine distribution charges against Susan Gallo, daughter of U.S. Rep. Dean Gallo (R-NJ); marijuana possession charges against Warren Bachus, son of U.S. Rep Spencer Bachus (R-AL); and possession of cocaine with intent to distribute charges against Josef Hinchey, son of Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) (James Bovard, "Prison Sentences of the Politically Connected," PLAYBOY, April 1997, p. 46).
Old 10-29-2007, 05:11 PM

Pass me the pipe Alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
One of the strangest/most sordid celebrity drug users you wouldn't expect: Max Wright, the skinny nebbishy older guy who played the father on Alf, was a crack smoker (caught on camera no less).

I knew Willie Tanner was hiding more than aliens! That skinny dweeb wasn’t acting paranoid he was paranoid. I guess being upstaged by a muppet can make you into a bisexual crackhead. Who knew?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 PM

Bill “Capt’n Trips” Gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT
Bill Gates. I've read a LOT of bio's of the man and a number mentioned his pot use when he was just starting out. And I'm pretty sure one mentioned LSD.
He used LSD in "his misspent youth" but not after the age of 25 according to a 1994 Playboy interview. I wonder if the early days of Microsoft were like an episode of “Code Monkeys” that Bill grew out of?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He’s third in line to the throne, he’s a tank commander in the British army, he completed his education at Eton with two A-levels. Prince Harry was also appointed as one of nine new Commodores-in-Chief of the Royal Navy, He bangs Chelsy Davy a white African heiress when he’s not cruising for “strange”. We know you’ve surpassed him in everyway but he’s just a kid give him a chance.
Depends what definition of "successful" you apply. If you apply a definition based on achievement through personal effort rather than upon the consequences of an accident of birth, I think the highest achievement in your list is a couple of A-levels. Which is firstly hardly big news and by that criterion most people on these boards would qualify, and secondly given the quality of education his royal privilegedness had access to about as surprising as fish and chips.

Last edited by Princhester; 10-29-2007 at 06:20 PM..
Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 PM

Many fortunes are determined by birth

Quote:
Depends what definition of "successful" you apply. If you apply a definition based on achievement through personal effort rather than upon the consequences of an accident of birth, I think the highest achievement in your list is a couple of A-levels. Which is firstly hardly big news and by that criterion most people on these boards would qualify, and secondly given the quality of education his royal privilegedness had access to about as surprising as fish and chips.
I base it on where you are not how you got there. Whether you’re born to greatness or strive to it you’re still great. Just because Harry won the vagina lottery don’t hold it against him lots of people do the same. As a matter of fact since we both have access to the Internet in a way we’ve won lesser prizes in the same lottery. There are billions of people who don’t even know of the concept of the Internet nor the infrastructure to support it, nor the leisure time to exploit it. We have an unfair advantage over them not unlike Harry has over us. Do you feel you deserve your advantage or do you just thank your lucky birth canal? As for his level of education he took a year off after Eton to do rich people stuff then he joined the army. Any man that graduates high school with high marks and enters the military reaching the level of lieutenant and is then given the position of tank commander is a success in my book. If you add to that the fact he seeks unrestricted deployment I’d say he has a bit of character too, even if he smoked some trees in his past. (and he's my favorite Nazi).
Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I base it on where you are not how you got there.
I don't bother with debates about what words ought to mean. If that's what it means to you, fine. However, I would have thought that people who have achieved great success through personal effort regardless of drug use would be of more relevance to what appears to be the underlying argument to your OP.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:29 AM

Al Gore apparently smoked pot while in college, that came out during his first run for the White House. Of course, his son recently got busted for illicit drugs.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 AM

There's no debate

Quote:
I don't bother with debates about what words ought to mean. If that's what it means to you, fine. However, I would have thought that people who have achieved great success through personal effort regardless of drug use would be of more relevance to what appears to be the underlying argument to your OP.
My OP said nothing about people whom did/do drugs and their struggle to become famous or successful it only alluded to their ability to maintain their position (regardless of how they gained it or who helps them hold it). I think you are confusing character with success and while character is a general indicator of future success it is by no means a guarantee. My dictionary defines SUCCESS as:

1.the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors 2. the attainment of wealth, position, honors or the like. SUCCESSFUL 1. achieving or having achieved success 2. having attained wealth, position honors, or the like.

I see little about striving for it Prince Harry IS SUCCESSFUL! If I am given a lottery ticket for my birthday and then win $1,000,000 I still succeeded in winning the lottery (with very, very little effort) I will concede success may mean something different in Commonwealth English so I may be “wrong” in my usage but I don’t debate what words “ought” to mean either, I just use a dictionary.

If the intention of my OP was to say drugs don’t affect you “look at these people” then I would have hand picked my list to reflect that (Marion Barry, Bill Clinton, GEORGE BUSH! Please) but that’s not what I meant (because that’s not true). There are a lot of people who fuck up their lives and lose everything because of drugs (but not everyone). I thought, “Stephen King a “head” I wonder just how many famous or successful people did or do drugs nothing more.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Stacy Keach was caught smuggling in some kind of dope at an airport a few years ago. I'll dig out the details if anyone's interested.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Book me Dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Stacy Keach was caught smuggling in some kind of dope at an airport a few years ago. I'll dig out the details if anyone's interested.
If I remember correctly he was a coke head during his "Mike Hammer" days I think he ended up "gettin' his mind right" in prison for awhile too.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 PM

Willie Nelson seems to be enjoying a bit of success. (And that's not all he seems to enjoy).
Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Lagomorph
Samuel Taylor Coleridge used opium, presumably more than once.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic with the "presumably" but STC supported a major opium addiction for the majority of his life. He was a hypochondriac and he took the opium in order to alleviate the pain he was constantly suffering. Then he would stop out of guilt (or because he ran out), wait until he was suffering severe withdrawals, then take another dose. It was a rather exquisite form of self-torture. It also pretty much ruined his career as a poet, ruined his marriage, ruined his friendship and collaboration with Wordsworth, and probably directly contributed to his tendency to plagiarize essays and poems.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 PM

Sleepy Time baby potion (now with more Laudanum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperlandgirl
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic with the "presumably" but STC supported a major opium addiction for the majority of his life. He was a hypochondriac and he took the opium in order to alleviate the pain he was constantly suffering. Then he would stop out of guilt (or because he ran out), wait until he was suffering severe withdrawals, then take another dose. It was a rather exquisite form of self-torture. It also pretty much ruined his career as a poet, ruined his marriage, ruined his friendship and collaboration with Wordsworth, and probably directly contributed to his tendency to plagiarize essays and poems.
Many common and prominent Victorian’s alike indulged in Laudanum it was more common than aspirin (at the time) and used by both children and adults for a vast array of ailments (this was not a controlled substance until much later). It also enjoyed tax-free status over alcohol this helped increased it’s use among the working class.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 PM

Albert Hofmann, the chemist who synthesized LSD and also took it many times. Still alive at 101!

Last edited by pool; 10-30-2007 at 11:24 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 01:57 AM

Can we assume that when you say "drugs" you mean "illegal drugs"? Because most people have taken drugs, both prescription drugs and nonprescription drugs.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 PM

My kid's on drugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon
Can we assume that when you say "drugs" you mean "illegal drugs"? Because most people have taken drugs, both prescription drugs and nonprescription drugs.
Come on, how could this phrase from the OP confused you?!? “The first words out of Mr. King’s mouth was that he was a major “head” during the 60’s. “Not ahead of someone but a person who tripped on LSD, mushroom and smoked pot all the time.” I think most lay people will place a negative connotation on the word drugs. If I said Famous Successful People Who Took/Take medicine/medication would you ask the same question? Do you tell your boss “I need to leave early today to buy some drugs” or do you tell them “to fill prescriptions”? Most people I know don’t tell their kids “it’s time to take your drugs” or “I sent my child to school today with drugs” or “I sent my kids to pick up some drugs” most of them say medicine or medication to avoid the confusion.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Do you tell your boss “I need to leave early today to buy some drugs” or do you tell them “to fill prescriptions”?
Actually, I worked for several years at an HMO, and "drug" was the preferred term. My first job there was to edit the drug formulary, and one of my continuing jobs was to edit the drug newsletter. The HMO policies listed the "Prescription Drug Benefits".