The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 AM

Does your memory foam bed "sleep hot"?

My husband and I are considering getting a memory foam topper for our bed. I hadn't even though about the coolness thing until I saw one on Overstock advertised as "cool" memory foam saying it was better for people who live in warm climates.

So I'm wondering if any of my fellow dopers has a memory foam topper or mattress and if so, does it make you hot while you sleep?

We live in Florida and my husband has occasional insomnia. A bed that was hot or made him sweat would be a very bad thing for his sleep quality so I though I'd poll the smartest people in the universe before making a purchase.

Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 11-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

No. We've had our Tempurpedic for a couple of years now and don't notice any problems with heat or cold. I should mention that we use a matress cover, despite the product's admonition not to. Ease of cleaning and all that.

Last edited by Chefguy; 11-12-2007 at 08:46 AM..
Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks for starting this. I have been wanting to get one of these, but I have also heard that they sleep hot. I'll be watching this thread.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 AM

My sleeps a little hot but not excessively. I also use a matress pad on top of the pad.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 AM

I don't find mine hot at all. I don't use a mattress pad on top of it either.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 PM

We've got a memory foam pad on top of our mattress and some mornings I feel like I'm waking up on a grill. This is a real memory foam pad, not one of those cheap foam eggcrate pads. Mostly, those mornings are on the weekend when I sleep until about 10 or 10:30 though.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 PM

It's not always hot, but if you dress too warmly for bed and have heavy blankets, it can seem too hot. During the season change, I wore flannel pjs one night when it turned out to be warmer than I thought-- woke up boiling hot. So, it's not a chronic problem, more episodic, but it does happen.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM

I use a full Tempurpedic mattress and I've never had issues with it being overly hot. I wear very little clothing when sleeping though, and the blankets I use aren't super thick.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Shelf stable at room temperatu Shelf stable at room temperatu is offline
BANNED

I tried memory foam in a hotel once and it made me nuts. I felt wedged in like a straight jacket. Never again.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50million
We've got a memory foam pad on top of our mattress and some mornings I feel like I'm waking up on a grill. This is a real memory foam pad, not one of those cheap foam eggcrate pads. Mostly, those mornings are on the weekend when I sleep until about 10 or 10:30 though.
I agree. I found it very hot. Actually, I found it very uncomfortable too and gave up on it after about a week.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm glad someone is bringing up Memory Foam because I have an embarrassing question that I need answered. How would you owners of full-out Memory Foam mattresses (not just the mattress tops) say these beds perform during sex? Do they 'give' too much?

I want one of these beds, because they look comfy, but I don't want one if it is going to 'give' too much.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I got a Temperpedic when they were first coming out and only had the one model. The big thing is temperature regulation in the room. At least, that's my experience. Too cold and the bed is too firm, too hot and the bed doesn't breathe too well and seems to reflect the body heat back.

As for nookie, well, think of the egg drop. With a spring mattress, there's the push into and the reflex of the mattress back. With the temperpedic, it does seem to absorb the reverberations. So, if you're on the bottom, well...you get the picture.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystreak
It's not always hot, but if you dress too warmly for bed and have heavy blankets, it can seem too hot. During the season change, I wore flannel pjs one night when it turned out to be warmer than I thought-- woke up boiling hot. So, it's not a chronic problem, more episodic, but it does happen.
This has been my experience, as well. We have a 3" mf topper, and we recently purchased a fairly dense cover for the comforter on the bed - the additional layers of fabric on the comforter caused me to be too hot. Maybe the memory foam amplifies or reflects the heat. I still wouldn't trade the topper for anything, though.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks for all of the answers. I do appreciate it. I'm thinking that living in FL, this might not be the best thing for us. I'll investigate further. Maybe the "cool" memory foam thing has some merit.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Prickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy
No. We've had our Tempurpedic for a couple of years now and don't notice any problems with heat or cold. I should mention that we use a matress cover, despite the product's admonition not to. Ease of cleaning and all that.
The fact your location is Alaska (and is the first reply) made me laugh aloud.

Yes I know that Alaska is not a land of permafrost and no sun, but the OP specifically asked for comments from people in warm climates.

I dunno, it just really made me laugh.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Oh, by the way, I found out when moving my mattress in subzero February that it is not totally memory foam. The top half of the mattress became quite firm but the bottom was still pliable. So if you just want a mattress pad that's thick, it's probably the same effect.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated
I'm glad someone is bringing up Memory Foam because I have an embarrassing question that I need answered. How would you owners of full-out Memory Foam mattresses (not just the mattress tops) say these beds perform during sex? Do they 'give' too much?

I want one of these beds, because they look comfy, but I don't want one if it is going to 'give' too much.

I have one. The answer is no. Not at all... hm... maybe I should call the boyfriend for some confirmatory testing...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Sweet Lord is it hot. Like Summertime with no covers hot. Like sweating while I sleep hot.

The Sheckstress generates no heat of her own, so it's always cold on her side, and the mattress doesn't function as advertised. She essentially sleeps on a board unless I lay on it firt for about 20 minutes.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:06 PM

It got very hot in my experience. I ended up getting rid of mine.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne_kilii
I have one. The answer is no. Not at all... hm... maybe I should call the boyfriend for some confirmatory testing...

I am gonna splurge on one of these memory foam babies! And I hope it really doesn't sleep hot, because I love cool sheets beneath me. Being too hot at night gives me nightmares like I'm trapped in some kind of coffin or something!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I am gonna splurge on one of these memory foam babies! And I hope it really doesn't sleep hot, because I love cool sheets beneath me. Being too hot at night gives me nightmares like I'm trapped in some kind of coffin or something!
If you have a sheet, then the comforter, you can always toss the comforter aside. I'm also a person who always has cold arms, so I wear pajamas with sleeves to bed every night, so it's easy for me to become too hot at night if I have all the blankets and stuff on top of me. You might not find it too hot if you wear less clothing and have only a sheet on you.

As for too much give-- no, that's definitely not a problem.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 AM

My husband radiats heat like a human furnace so I fear that we'd both suffer if the bed retained that heat. Overstock.com has one that is advertised as being "cool". I'm going to have to research the return policy before we purchase.

I need a new bed though. I am not sleeping well at all.

Lindsey Wagner is taunting me daily with her sleep number bed ads but hubby and his ex got a sleep number bed about 2 weeks before they split up and now he's just not willing to travel down that road again.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

The problem I have is that I sleep on my side and my shoulders are fairly broad and my hips rather narrow. Yet it's my waist area that heats up the most, causing the memory foam to compress more in that area than near my shoulders, where the foam stays fairly stiff. As a result, by morning, my upper back (at the bottom of my shoulder blades) is extremely stiff and sore because my waist and hips are so much lower than my shoulders.

They're extremely comfortable to lay on when I first get into bed. But not so great when I look at the bigger picture of a full night's sleep.

Last edited by Turek; 11-14-2007 at 07:40 AM..
Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM

We have a full Tempurpedic mattress, not a topper. I know Ohio isn't exactly a "warm climate," but it does get fairly hot and muggy in August. We are both very hot people and produce a fair amount of body heat. We do not have a problem with the bed being too hot.

The salesman that sold us our bed told us, in fact, that a local couple returned their bed because it was too cold. Make of that what you will.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 PM

I've only ever slept on memory foam in San Diego and Tucson, AZ. Never had a problem. BTW, yes, use a mattress cover.

Quote:
How would you owners of full-out Memory Foam mattresses (not just the mattress tops) say these beds perform during sex? Do they 'give' too much?
I dunno, I've never had sex with my bed.

In all seriousness, no, they're just fine. Better, actually.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Get a sheep wool fleece mattress cover, the thicker the better- if you slepp hot on any sort of mattress. The real stuff- not synthetic. Cool in summer, warm in winter.