Anyone ever had the Thanksgiving dinner from Kroger?

Because that’s what my in-laws are serving and I want to know if I should be prepared to starve.

It’s out of town, so I can’t take much by way of food, though suggestions for additions to brighten the meal that can handle overnight in a hotel room would be great.

Lots of liquor?

:smiley:

I would never hear the end of it.

Of course, since I’m a lightweight and would be asleep under the table after one drink, I wouldn’t hear the beginning of it, either!

You may be surprised. The prepared dinners at Kroger’s (and Boston Market, btw) are actually pretty good. I’d take one of those over a homemade dinner made by someone who doesn’t really know what they are doing anytime.

One note - if the turkey needs to be reheated, it needs to be done so as not to dry it out. It’s perfectly possible to mangle a decent takeout dinner by not following the storage/reheating instructions.

There are lots of desserts you could bring that would overnight just fine in a hotel room. Bread or rolls would too, as long as they are fresh when you start out.

No Kroger’s in our area (left years and years ago), but I’m planning on stopping by the local Dierberg’s today to pick up their turkey & dressing. I’m going to my parent’s for Thanksgiving, but this is as good as leftovers, and I don’t have to cook! So, yeah, I suspect the Kroger’s dinner is likely to be as good.

I’d recommend a dessert, too. They can be done ahead of time, and keep well. Since they’ll have likely picked up some pies at Kroger’s, I’d suggest something like brownies. I made Ina Garten’s last year and took 'em with us to KC for Thanksgiving at my brother’s in-laws, and they kept for a couple of days.

Most of the bready things I like would need warmed up to be really good, but maybe dessert of some sort. I think it’s something like a 6 hour drive.

On preview: Yeah, brownies would probably be a great choice.

I’ve had the Safeway grocery dinner and it was exactly like the brochure pictured it, so it covered everything that was traditional in my house except that awful “ambrosia” whipped jello that Aunt Bessie always brought.

I got the prepared Thanksgiving dinner from Giant Foods supermarket about four years ago. It was passable.

Same here, about 9 years back. The turkey was one of those prebasted Butterball thingies and it wasn’t browned at all, so we put it in the oven for an hour or so to brown it, but overall, MUCH easier than doing it from scratch. Not as good, but perfectly tolerable.

We did do a couple of things from scratch, of course.

Never tried Kroger. There is a local chain here in the upper Ohio Valley called Riesbeck’s and I got my dinner from them last year, and have ordered it this year. Plenty yummy!

From the quality of Kroger food around here, I would guess that there's would also be good

:Disclaimer:

Both my Mother and Father worked for Kroger, so take that as you may.

The Salvation Army’s Thanksgiving Day dinner is pretty good and they allow take out.

Where are you dude?? I used to live near Wheeling and Riesebeck’s was my mom and dad’s fave store.

Anyway, as not to hijack, we had the Kroger’s turkey dinner at my MIL’s a couple years back and it wasn’t half bad. The stuffing was okay but the turkey…mmmm.

We have Riesbecks here, too. Good baked goods (baked goods baked).

That’s what we did last year, for a couple of reasons. It was fine. It didn’t have any personal touches like “Mom always puts cinnamon in the pumpkin pie” or some such, but it was certainly passable.