The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-01-2000, 01:41 AM

Hope you find the title graphic enough. I'm about to get even more so.

I was scratching my balls while watching TV this evening, when I noticed a slight... ache. I started feeling around my scrotum, and noticed a lump the size of a chickle (not sure on name, that kind of candy that's round, chocolate, spun sugar coated, comes in a cellophane 'tube', multicolored) in my scrotum, right above my right testicle. It hurts when squeezed, more so than a testicle. It doesn't appear to be attached to either testicle, nor any of the tubes or whatnot lying around in there, although it does seem to stay in the same place, about a half inch above the testicle. It is mostly spherical, although SLIGHTLY irregular.

I AM going to the doctor about it. I just wanted to post this to see if there's supposed to be chunks'o'nad floating around in my sac, or if it's a part of my system.

PLEASE, PLEASE do not post condolences, or worries, or anything, PLEASE. Nothing is certain yet, hell, I was feeling my balls, and found something unusual. Probably nothing. PLEASE don't post sympathies.

--Tim
Old 11-01-2000, 02:44 AM

See the bears game?

::shrug::
Old 11-01-2000, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Nothing similar in my nut sac - just had a good grope to confirm - my opinion is that doctors know more about this stuff than I do. And how do you know that this lump is multi-colored??
Old 11-01-2000, 02:47 AM
Charter Member

A little while back, I felt a little hard spot on one of my testicles. I went to the urologist, and he told me it was harmless -- bunch of scar tissue built up, not cancer.
Old 11-01-2000, 05:12 AM

is it attached to the scrotum or independent of it?

"Yes, just 31 days after the OP was made by Lee, Cecil responded with a column."--whitetho
Old 11-01-2000, 07:14 AM

It's not uncommon to come across lumps in your scrotum. The vast majority are harmless.
Old 11-01-2000, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Wilkinson
Nothing similar in my nut sac - just had a good grope to confirm - my opinion is that doctors know more about this stuff than I do. And how do you know that this lump is multi-colored??
Scar tissue? Man you're kinky!!
Old 11-01-2000, 07:53 AM
BANNED

Homer,

Not to scare you but my mom's boyfriend, who got married a while after my mom died, had a step son where at about age 18 they diagnosed him with testicular cancer. That's been about 10 years or so and he is free of his cancer today.

I urge you to get it checked out.

Yes, even you young guys can get cancers in not-so obvious places.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:06 AM

info that may help...
http://www.acor.org/diseases/TC/index.html
(it may be normal according to this website)

Let us know how the doc visit goes.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:58 AM

Going to the doctor is exactly the right thing to do.

In the meantime, most such lumps will turn out to be benign things such as:

Hydrocele - fluid collection. Additional info here: http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/askphys/qa970602.htm

Varicocele - swollen vein

Spermatocele - especially in men with a vasectomy, if the vas deferens is sealed off, soemtimes the sperm with nowhere to go create a mass, or lump.

Epididymitis - inflammation of the sperm collecting system. Additional info here: http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/askphys/qa970308.htm

Bottom line is that while there are many benign conditions that could cause this, you should not assume that this will resolve without treatment, or that your lump is not cancer. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2000, 09:44 AM

According to my doctor, malignant tumors occur on the testicle. This info was from his instructions on self examination of the testicles for tumors.
Old 11-01-2000, 10:04 AM
BANNED

OR maybe just a zit, as they have a certain sensitivity when you touch them.

So let us know what it is Homer so we can see who was right.
Old 11-01-2000, 10:05 AM

Quote:
...soemtimes the sperm with nowhere to go create a mass...
Sperm are Catholic? That certainly explains the Pope's stance against wasting 'em.
After all, what is your hosts' purpose in having a party? Surely not for you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have simply sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi. -- P. J. O'Rourke
Old 11-01-2000, 08:58 PM

Offered in the spirit of "I been there"

I have a varicocele. Little bag of veins on the left side, about half the size of a testicle, but very squishy and wormy feeling. It doesn't really fit your description, but I thought I'd toss it out. Not often I get to share this with a few thousand strangers.
It never has caused any serious trouble for me - I guess it can be surgically removed, but I think I'll live with it.
Old 11-01-2000, 09:17 PM

A few months ago my husband found a similar lump in this testicle. We went to see a doctor and were referred to a urologist. After a couple of tests and a sonogram, it was determined that he did not have cancer.

Since you're already made an appointment to see your doctor, there's nothing more to add. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-01-2000, 09:42 PM

I had the same thing occur, worried the bejeezus out of me, it turned out to be nothing. But have the doctor verify.
Old 11-01-2000, 10:04 PM

Hyrdrocele

I'm having a hydrocele removed in about 3 weeks. I found out about it after the boys in my gym class declared me the winner of the "Mr. Big Balls" contest...here I thought I was just a heathly guy

Actually it is painless and not really a bother, which is part of the reason I didn't realize it wasn't normal. Maybe you're going throught the same...mine's sorta of a lump with a water balloon like texture.

Good luck with it and God Bless!!

bob : )
Old 11-01-2000, 10:15 PM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Hope you find the title graphic enough. I'm about to get even more so.

I was scratching my balls while watching TV this evening,
That's really more than I wanted to know about you. And *I* used to post updates on my yeast infections on the old AOL board!

Seriously, I'm glad you're seeing a doctor. My semiWAG is that it's just a zit, or possibly a boil, or an ingrown hair. My husband has had ingrown hairs just about everywhere, and they can get painfully inflamed. But I am not a doctor, and I doubt that even a real doctor would make a diagnosis with just written info like this.
Old 11-01-2000, 10:16 PM
Mod Rocker

I had a cyst removed around 25 years ago. It was a globule that felt to be about half the size of a testicle. It did not hurt or bother me for the most part, but it would really hurt if it was bumped. (The surgeon didn't mention any specifics about it at the time, except that it was not malignant.) At a later time, under different circumstances, I was tested and found to have a slightly higher than average sperm count. As long as your surgeon is competent, you shouldn't have much to worry about.
Old 11-01-2000, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

I had a Hydrocele removed about 3 years ago. It was a big SOB. I walked funny for about and had a bit of swelling for a week after but it wasn't too bad.

Found 2 lumps a few weeks ago. Went to a urologist. He said it's probably harmless but he couldn't be sure. Having a sonogram on Fri. just to be sure.

Best of luck. I'm sure it will be nothing to worry about.

P.S. I hope this thread reminds every male out there to check out your boys every now and then and hey girls help the guys out
Old 11-02-2000, 02:02 AM

No, no, no, definately NOT a zit or boil or anything. Like I said, it's inside the sac itself. I can move it around and shit, but it always goes back to right near the right teste. It's about the size of a chickle and is painful under pressure, like being kicked in the balls. Otherwise, I don't even notice it sometimes, although it aches occassionally. 'They've' always ached occassionally, I didn't know why (not blueballs, perv), I guess I should attribute it to this.

I'm thinking probably hydrocele, seeing as how it's not 'wormy' like the varicocele. It feels EXACTLY like a tiny 3rd testicle, except no tubing.

I don't have the cash to go to the doc right now (co-pay, all in all, should end up about $50 for exam, X-rays, etc) but I'm thinking of asking Dad for the money.

I was scared shitless last night. Then I watched the Daily Show and calmed down considerably.

--Tim
Old 11-02-2000, 02:11 AM

Homer,

Get your ass (and testicles) to a doctor and worry about paying for it later. I'm sure your parents or friends will pony up the $50 to get it checked out.

<Dr Boscibo> I've heard if you let it go too long you will have to get the whole thing chopped off.</Dr>

For real, Homer...you will worry until you get it checked out and why put yourself through the stress?
Old 11-02-2000, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

With me it was a varicocele. But the bigger issue here is that this is your testicles. In addition to their normal delightful function, let's remember that they are a major component of your hormone system. If they go out of whack, YOU go out of whack. Borrow some money if you have to and get it checked out sooner rather than later.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:42 AM
BANNED

Be happy that its not attached to the testicle.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:42 AM

Tim -

Get to a doctor. My list of benign possibilities was intended to keep you from losing sleep unnecessarily in the 1 or 2 nights before you went to a doctor.

Go to a doctor today. I can tell you many possible things that a scrotal mass could be, both benign AND cancerous, but I can't tell you what your scrotal mass is, and that's the only one that really matters to you.

Go to a doctor now. Did you know that testicular cancer is the most common form of cancer in men aged 18-35? Caught early, these cancers are highly responsive to treatment with excellent long-term survival. Caught late, they are very serious, likely to have spread and kill entirely too many young men.

All in all, I really think you should go see a doctor. You asked for no scare stories, no condolences, no sympathies. People respected that. You also assured everyone you were going to see your doctor immediately. People reacted to that by being supportive and reassuring. Please tell us you have decided to see a doctor as soon as possible - like call now to be seen today or tomorrow or I would hope that 10,000 dopers will all post their scare stories here, along with condolences & sympathies. When you call & talk to the doctor's office about scheduling this visit, I can assure you that they will take this very seriously.

Go see a doctor.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:55 AM

Nothing to add just:

When I worked at a doctor's office the most tragic referral I had to do was a 16-year-old boy who has testicular cancer. It was so sad.
Old 11-02-2000, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quoth tomndebb:
Quote:
At a later time, under different circumstances, I was tested and found to have a slightly higher
than average sperm count.
Oh, great, Tom, not only are you smarter and more resourceful than the rest of us, but you're more manly, too? Now I feel really inferior

Seriously, though. I had a hydrocele last winter, and went to a doctor about it. If it really is just a hydrocele, it should only take him about 15 minutes to determine that. Of course, if it's not benign, then it's worth it to you to get it taken care of, no matter how much time and money it costs. This is your life and your future reproductive capability we're talking about here-- What else would you spend that fifty bucks on?
Old 11-02-2000, 01:26 PM

My father survived a bout with testicular cancer. About 15 years ago, I noticed a small lump on one of my testicles. I was quite panicky and I called my parents (I was still in college) and they got me an appointment with the same doctor who treated my father.

The urologist determined that I had a granular cyst and had nothing to worry about. I felt much better. The doctor did not dismiss my worry and was quite understanding.

The cyst is still there as it is quite small.

Doctors have told me that this particular type of cancer doesn't seem to run in families however.
Old 11-02-2000, 05:12 PM
BANNED

Bob, why would it be testicular cancer if its not attached to the testes?
Old 11-02-2000, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If a cancerous tumor is located wholly within the testicle, it may not be palpable to the untrained person. Once it begins to metastasize, the new tumors can form along the spermatic cord, and into the abdomen. This flavor of cancer is very fast growing, and usually invades the abdomenal lymph system first, then moves to the lungs, liver and brain, spawning tumors all along the way. Within six months it can be too late. Miracle recoveries from tertiary testicular cancer, like cyclist Lance Armstrong, are not the norm. Get to a doctor, and soon.

I know whereof I speak, because I had my left testicle removed in 1999 because of a malignant tumor.
Old 11-02-2000, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by handy
I don't know if this question was directed to me or not.

However, in rereading my post, I meant to say that my doctor didn't dismiss my worry about the cyst as groundless. He thought it was a good idea to get it checked out.

I still have that cyst and it hasn't gotten any bigger or smaller.
Old 11-02-2000, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer
PLEASE, PLEASE do not post condolences, or worries, or anything, PLEASE. Nothing is certain yet, hell, I was feeling my balls, and found something unusual. Probably nothing. PLEASE don't post sympathies.

--Tim
Okay. I have a lump in my throat. I pray to god that these are not the same lumps
Old 11-02-2000, 06:49 PM

Hydroceles are generally round, not tender, not part of the testicle, and you can shine a light through them. Testicular cancers are generally part of the testicle, firm, not tender, and you can't shine a light through them. However, these are generalizations. There is no substitute for an examination by an experienced clinician who will probably be able to tell you what it is with reasonable certainty based on physical examination. If any question remains that it might be cancerous, a simple ultrasound exam will probably be the next step. I look forward to hearing the final diagnosis soon.
Old 11-03-2000, 11:13 AM

Hey I just went through this! I went to my family doctor, who referred me to a urologist, who made an appointment for an ultrasound. The only bad part was the poor guy doing my ultrasound kept cracking jokes. I think he was more uncomfortable with it than I was. Anyway, turned out to be a harmless cyst.

Homer, testicular cancer is rare, but is the most common form of cancer in men age 15-30. The only lump you should feel is your epidydymis. Lumps caused by TC are usually NOT painful, so that is a hopeful sign.
Old 11-07-2000, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Any word yet bro?

Vis
Old 11-07-2000, 06:40 PM

Okay, Thursday at 3 pm, I have an appointment with a GP who'll set me up with a urologist. I really don't like the idea of showing off my balls to some older asian gentleman. ::sigh::

--Tim
Old 11-07-2000, 08:29 PM

Ok Tim, you did the right thing. I'll check back here Thursday night to see how you are.
Old 11-09-2000, 06:23 PM

Update

Manny or Chronos, seeing as how this is no longer a GQ, feel free to lock or move the thread.

Thanks for everyone's support.

--Tim
Old 11-09-2000, 09:53 PM

Scrotum lumps are a common cause of referral to a urologist. Many are benign. If you're that worried, get it checked. If you aren't that worried or do your own doctorin', read on. You should consider all the diagnoses below.

Testicular torsion -- twisting of the spermatic cord, cutting off the blood supply. Hurts like hell, and usually pain and swelling associated with minor trauma in adolescents. If this is what you had, you needed rapid surgery within 6-12 hours or your testicle can't be salvaged. In medicine, you worry about what is important and what is common. This is both, but doesn't fit.

Testicular appendage -- appendix testis and appendix epididymis are fairly common; paradidymis organ of Giraldes and Vas Aberrans of Haller appendages are very rare, aso furgetaboutit. Tender, pea-sizwed nodules near the upper pole of the testis. May see a blue dot through the scrotal skin.

Tumour -- in young men 20-40. Hard, non-tender. Benign tumours rare. All testicular masses are considered malignant until proven otherwise. They don't usually transilluminate.

Epididymitis -- sudden onset of pain and swelling. Elevating the scrotum decreases the pain. Voiding is irritating. Fixation of the testicle to the scrotum wall suggests abcess

Hydrocele -- Sac of water which can be easily aspirated. Occasionally associated with tumour or infection. If you hold a flashlight to your sack in the dark, it lights up like only a sack full of clear fluid can.

Spermatocele -- a retention cyst with cloudy fluid easily sen by ultrasound, or transilluminates with light (see below)

Varicocele -- abnormal dilation of the veins; left sided ones occur in one out of six guys. Feel like a bag of worms. If on the right side, more concerning since may mean the interior vena cava vein is obstructed which often takes a tumour or blood clot.

Trauma -- what were you doing down there, anyway?

Inguinal hernia -- common in males, try feeling around while coughing. Normal bowel movements?

Scrotal edema -- inflammation from worms or germs

Summary:

Pain -- torsion, epididymitis, inguinal hernia, rapidly growing tumour

Painless -- tumour, inguinal hernia, hydrocele, spermatocele, varicocele.

AN ultrasound will settle it, but is most likely one of the celes. Good luck.