The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Fuckers who do Death by Train.

I've just gotten home after a very long night, most of it spent sitting on a stationary train between stations after some fucker decided to throw him/herself under it.

And it wasn't the long, boring wait that pissed me off so much. I had the Commuter Rag to do the crossword and the Sudoku puzzle, and I nicked between the carriages for a quick fag too. We weren't allowed off've the train until the emergency services and the train staff arrived to provide ladders and alternative transport, but it wasn't that.

You know what REALLY shits me? I felt your body right under my seat. I felt the crunch and the little bump and I wondered what the hell we had run over. The looks from the people sitting next to and opposite me conveyed the same thoughts. It's just not normal stuff to run over stuff on the train line, so I thought maybe some kids had left some tin-cans on the track for a bit of a lark, just like when I was a kid and we used to leave 20c pieces to get them flattened.

But then the train suddenly slowed and came to a dead halt. And within a minute or two the driver made an announcement that you had come to terminal grief and it was unfortunate but it was going to be a long wait, sorry for the delay etc.

THAT shits me too. You are too cowardly to take your own life, so you draw in an unwitting accomplice who has to live with the knowledge that it was his train on his shift that snuffed out your life. The driver was terribly professional and with his calm managed to keep the calm on the entire (packed, peakhour) train, but he has to go home and sleep tonight. And I bet he has flashbacks and bad dreams, none of which are any of his business really, but he has no choice now, does he??

The driver was able to see the mangled remains of your body strewn across and up and down the tracks; by the time we were allowed to disembark your bits had thankfully been covered up with a number of good ol' tarps.....but we passengers could well imagine the carnage underneath thankyewverymuch. Your death is nobody's business but yours.....why make it ours too?

Oh, and why the FUCK did you need to do it during the evening peak? Way to spoil a whole lot of folks' evenings you stupid fuck.

Have a happy death, you will be surely remembered.
Advertisements  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:51 AM

I've met someone who had the dubious distinction of having been the last person someone else saw before she was killed - she pulled out in front of his fully loaded dump truck which he was doing the speed limit for that road, without sufficient distance for her to actually get up to speed.

I met him some years after the accident. And it was still fucking him up. There was damn-all he could have done to prevent it, once she chose to pull out in front of him, but his mind still wouldn't let it go.

FTM, ISTR here in the US that rail workers generally will have run over someone if they've been guiding a train for more than a year. And it's probably the biggest single stress in their jobs, even if that particular individual hasn't yet had that pleasure, wondering when it will happen is something of a constant stresser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta
Oh, and why the FUCK did you need to do it during the evening peak? Way to spoil a whole lot of folks' evenings you stupid fuck.
I don't want to speak for all suicides, nor all suicide attempts. There are several common modes of thought that I've seen/heard being used by survivors to explain what they were thinking. Some suicides do want to cause the maximum disruption to others with their deaths. So, I suspect that this guy probably did choose the timing for his exit with the intent of causing the maximum disruption, rather than because he was ignorant of the effect it would have on the OP and other commuters.

Last edited by OtakuLoki; 12-04-2007 at 05:51 AM..
Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuLoki
Some suicides do want to cause the maximum disruption to others with their deaths.
Well then allow me to be the first to say to those people "Shame about your life sucking and all, but you probably deserved it for being such a fucking asshole."

My heart goes out to the driver, and to everyone whose evening was so unpleasantly disrupted. And if valuing the evenings of a few hundred people who are just trying to get home over the life of one asshole makes me a bad person, then I can live with that.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Some suicides do want to cause the maximum disruption to others with their deaths. So, I suspect that this guy probably did choose the timing for his exit with the intent of causing the maximum disruption, rather than because he was ignorant of the effect it would have on the OP and other commuters.
Yeah, my question was one of those WTF ones rather than a sincere enquiry into 'why at that time'. I realise that many suicides are wanting max impact to alleviate the lack of potency they feel in their lives etc. But at the end of the day (and theirs particularly) they're not going to get ANY jollies out of seeing the complete chaos and mayhem they've caused. Much easier for all concerned if they just go away and squish themselves under a rock or summat....the rock doesn't care that it deaded the bloke, and the bloke is happy 'cos he's dead. EVERYONE WINS THEN, YES??
Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 AM

Fair enough. I sometimes find it hard to differentiate between genuine questions, and rhetorical ones.

Now, on a snarky level, it's a shame you can't vote for the railway worker you'd most like to see having to do the clean up job. Perhaps that guy who doesn't do the drinks would be better pleased to be on the clean up detail?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 AM

My ex and I were driving down a very quiet stretch of road very late one night (both bartenders, random Tuesday night at like four in the morning on the way home from work) and this guy who was walking on the sidewalk next to the road tried to jump in front of our truck. ('89 Ram Charger. It would've flattened him even at forty miles an hour.)

We both saw him walking on the sidewalk--there wasn't anything else to look at at that hour--and we saw him turn around and look at the truck. We saw him pick up his pace. We saw him dart into the fucking street in front of the truck, looking at us the whole time.

Thank God nobody else was on the road; my ex swerved madly into the turning lane and just missed the fucker.

Creepiest thing I've ever fucking seen. We thought til the very last second that he was just some random, faintly creepy guy staring down a passing vehicle.

Until he jumped in front of our truck.

His intent couldn't have been more obvious if he'd been holding a gun to his head.

We called 911 with our location and told them that somebody had tried to jump in front of our vehicle, but they didn't sound interested.

I don't know what happened to that guy.

My ex was so furious that he wanted to turn around and kick the guy's ass. (He said if I hadn't been in the car he would've held the guy down til the cops showed up. I believed him.) Who the fuck would do that to somebody else? You wanna kill yourself, grow a pair and shove a fucking pistol down your throat. Don't make me see your splattered self all over my car. Don't make ME your weapon of choice, you fucker.

I was surprised at how angry I was. How adrenalized, how freaked out.

I realize that anybody attempting suicide is probably so fucked in the head that they don't give a rat's ass about anybody else at that point, and in a classroom or a theoretical debate I can see why. I can see how they would actually prefer to traumatize somebody else, or a large group of other people, to call attention to their last desperate act. I get it, in a sterile "what-if" discussion.

But in practice??

Fuck you, asshole, for trying to give me nightmares for the rest of my life.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:21 AM

It's funny (well, not ha ha, but something), when I was a suicidal teen, I didn't do anything because I didn't want to leave a body. I was horrified at the idea of someone having to haul my body away.

Maybe that was just an excuse. I don't know.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fair enough. I sometimes find it hard to differentiate between genuine questions, and rhetorical ones.

Now, on a snarky level, it's a shame you can't vote for the railway worker you'd most like to see having to do the clean up job. Perhaps that guy who doesn't do the drinks would be better pleased to be on the clean up detail?

Hahahahahaha. He'd have a fucken stroke. "If I'd wanted to be a coroner, I'd have opened a coronary store, wouldn't I" I don't want to cause any more grief than has already happened tonight.......but it's a bloody good idea!! I'll save it for another time perhaps.

I'm actually thinking of writing a brief note to the train-driver, saying something along the lines of 'Thanks for keeping us updated during the delay, and I hope your nightmares pass quickly' or summat to that effect. He did a wonderful job (if it had been me, I'd have been a blubbering mess over the loudspeaker) and he deserves kudos for it. In this city, people are very quick to whinge about the shortcomings in the public transport system, but there are times when the individuals in the system put in superhuman efforts....and IMHO, tonight was one of those times.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta
I'm actually thinking of writing a brief note to the train-driver, saying something along the lines of 'Thanks for keeping us updated during the delay, and I hope your nightmares pass quickly' or summat to that effect. He did a wonderful job (if it had been me, I'd have been a blubbering mess over the loudspeaker) and he deserves kudos for it. In this city, people are very quick to whinge about the shortcomings in the public transport system, but there are times when the individuals in the system put in superhuman efforts....and IMHO, tonight was one of those times.
I think that this would be a really good thing to do. That guy has got to be suffering, now. Anything external, telling him that he did a good job tonight, would probably be worth it's weight in gold for him, and his future mental health.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 AM

I fully agree, if you are going to take yourself out, it is exceedingly inconsiderate to force someone else to unwittingly/unwillingly be an accomplice.

However, not that I've ever seriously contemplated offing myself, but I have on occasion thought that death by train had certain factors in its favor. It is readily available in many areas, and would certainly be quick and certain.

I assume folks in the know could draw a distinction between suicides who are considerate of those who have to clean up their mess, and those who don't care who might need to scrape brains off the walls.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM

It always amazes me how common suicide by subway train must be in Toronto. I've quite lost track of the times my travel has been disrupted by a "power outage situation" (Toronto Transit Commission euphemism for "we had to turn off the power on the tracks because it's dangerous to scrape somebody off an electrified rail"), and it's not like I spend my whole life on the subway.

I alway have the same reaction "I'm sorry your life was so miserable, but why are you messing up strangers with your departure?"
Old 12-04-2007, 09:57 AM

Suicide by other agent (train driver, cop, etc.) is an unbelievably selfish act. I guess if I had an ounce of compassion, I would say, "Oh, well, if they're suicidal, they're probably not in a mental place where they can properly consider the needs of others." But instead I say, "Gee, what assholes."
Old 12-04-2007, 10:00 AM

My favor 'least inconvenience to others' way of suicide: Pretend to take up fishing as a hobby. Buy some fishing gear. Buy a small boat/canoe. Buy a photographers vest. Go to nearest BIG body of water with the above stuff really early some day. Fill each pocket of the vest with stones. Zip vest securely shut. Paddle out a respectible distance from shore. Step out of boat, leaving most of fishing gear behind.

You will be dead, no one but fish and bottom dwellers will have to deal with corpse -- and they'll *like* it -- and your friends and family can choose to believe it was just an accident.

Hey, just because your life sucks, no need to add more suckiness to other's lives.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 AM

If I cared about other people, I'd have some kind of angry response. Someone is in such a state of confusion and self-loathing that they take their own life and you sit around whining about how selfish they are for ruining your evening.

But frankly, they're dead and my sympathy isn't going to help them, so carry on (you felt the wheels crunching the body through your seat? Ick!)
There is a similarity, if I may be permitted an excursion into tenuous metaphor, between the feel of a chilly breeze and the feel of a knife's blade, as either is laid across the neck. I can call up memories of both, if I work at it. The chilly breeze is invariably the more pleasant memory.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I knew someone who heard a jumper get hit by a subway train in Toronto. (It was at the other end of the platform, so he didn't see it.) :: shudder ::

"Power outage situation"? So that's what they call it? Man. I had no idea. I hear that on the anouncements every month, it seems.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong
My favor 'least inconvenience to others' way of suicide: Pretend to take up fishing as a hobby. Buy some fishing gear. Buy a small boat/canoe. Buy a photographers vest. Go to nearest BIG body of water with the above stuff really early some day. Fill each pocket of the vest with stones. Zip vest securely shut. Paddle out a respectible distance from shore. Step out of boat, leaving most of fishing gear behind.

You will be dead, no one but fish and bottom dwellers will have to deal with corpse -- and they'll *like* it -- and your friends and family can choose to believe it was just an accident.

Hey, just because your life sucks, no need to add more suckiness to other's lives.
No doubt. There are so many easy and fool-proof ways to kill yourself that don't involve others. Scuba diving weight belt + 10 kilos of lead weights + boat = no mess, no hassle.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 AM

Yes, I've heard there are lots and lots of suicides by subway in Toronto. Every week? That's what I heard somewhere. There certainly are a lot of 'power outages'. I can't find any stats by quick googling.

I went to school with a kid whose dad was a TTC driver. The dad had witnessed a spectacular decapitation by subway, and retired right after. Ugh.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 AM

It's kind of scary how often this kind of thing happens. I remember hearing that in Halifax, there's a jumper off of one of the bridges about once a month. I'm suddenly glad that I've yet to live in a place with regular rail travel
Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 AM

Drowning? Gadzooks, why don't these people just smash a vein open with a cell phone?

Hoping for instant and painless release by many tons of steel vs. slowly and painfully choking in the ice cold depths of a lonely lake... Nah, screw your commute. Burning and drowning are right out.

You all brought it on yourselves when your governments got all anti-gun. Shotguns are messy, but can be quite solitary. (I only mention this because drowning and burning are two phobias of mine, and everyone expects me to make at least one firearm reference per day, right?)
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Just over two years ago, I had a roommate who was an alcoholic and suffering from depression (never a good combination). He was in a great mood one morning, smiling and making jokes and I thought that he was possibly getting a handle on his problems. He owed me money for rent but said he was going to pick up a check and would be back later that afternoon. After he didn't return that night or the next day, something told me to look in the paper. He had laid down on the tracks and killed himself that evening after going to a bar and getting drunk with the rent money. He left a nine-year-old little girl behind that adored him.

I still don't know, to this day, whether I feel more anger toward him or just sadness. I hate that he put everyone through that much pain, all of us really - including that train conductor, who never had a chance to so much as slow down. (he picked the location very carefully, to ensure that the train would be coming around a curve at full speed). But I'll never understand why he didn't tell anyone that he was entertaining these thoughts so that he might have gotten some help. I still think of him often, even two years later and a train whistle still sends a chill through me.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 AM

I have only experienced one death on a train trip. I was on the bottom level of a Blue Mountains train and at the front of the carriage was a bunch of happy, drunken 20 somethings. One got up to go to the toilet but unfortunately forced open thecarriage doors rather than the toilet door and stepped out while the train was doing about 80ks. All of us up the front of the carriage saw his body fall past the first window.

The train was delayed for hours due to forensic requirements. His friends were almost in hysterics about the event - crying, hugging one another, making phone calls. But of course the rest of us just bitched and moaned about how the inconsiderate bastard had delayed our trip home. I was tempted to call out to his friends, "What a dickhead your mate was, eh?" but somehow resisted the urge.

Maybe you could find out the name of the suicide victim and send some abusive letters to his family. From my experience with suicides I am sure he was targetting the train driver and you - both would have been at the forefront of his mind.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

A FOAF sealed his bathroom shut with duct tape, started a fire in a large dutch oven, and laid down in the bathtub with a wet towel over him. Death by asphyxiation/CO- fairly painless and clean.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM

I'm heavily involved in the rail community, so I know a bit about this. I'm NOT a train driver though, so I don't claim to know a lot.

I'm also aware of the school of thought that says "When you're that close to the edge, it's no longer a matter of selfishness", and I understand that...

..but..

..every train driver (motorman/engineer) that I've heard speak about suicides will always say one and the same thing, that runs like a thread through these discussions:

"When they jump, the last thing they ALWAYS do is LOOK YOU IN THE EYE as they fall".

Watch this to see how it affects train drivers (no nasty stuff in video, promise). Fast forward to the 2:47 marker. Quite moving.

"I think why that one was so bad, was he was the same age as my son..."

Last edited by TheLoadedDog; 12-04-2007 at 11:24 AM..
Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale
I fully agree, if you are going to take yourself out, it is exceedingly inconsiderate to force someone else to unwittingly/unwillingly be an accomplice.

However, not that I've ever seriously contemplated offing myself, but I have on occasion thought that death by train had certain factors in its favor. It is readily available in many areas, and would certainly be quick and certain.

I assume folks in the know could draw a distinction between suicides who are considerate of those who have to clean up their mess, and those who don't care who might need to scrape brains off the walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophistry and Illusion
Suicide by other agent (train driver, cop, etc.) is an unbelievably selfish act. I guess if I had an ounce of compassion, I would say, "Oh, well, if they're suicidal, they're probably not in a mental place where they can properly consider the needs of others." But instead I say, "Gee, what assholes."
If you consider it a terrible thing to involve complete strangers, what do you say to the effect that their departure has on their family?
I routinely ask suicidal people how they feel their family members would react to their death and many people do pause, as if they hadn't considered it much.

Some people say things like "they will understand"
Others say things like "they don't care about me at all and they will never notice"
Some say "I know my kids love me and need me, but..." or "I know my mother would be devastated, but..."

There's a broad spectrum. At the end of the day, it's clear that they are not processing everything with rational logical thought. No, it's not right to do this to strangers, and it's not right to do it to your own family, but after hearing hundreds of people explain to me why they want to end their lives, I personally find it hard to be overly judgmental of someone who does end their life. Nevertheless, the consequences of their actions are real and cannot be undone. .
Old 12-04-2007, 12:32 PM

While I do have just a bit of sympathy for the suicides - they might not even be thinking of the effect their messy death will have on others and just be seeking a quick certain death - I wish I believed in hell for the ones who commit suicide by stupid.

Hey! A train is cominig! I think I'll try to outrun it!

A guy I used to know was an engineer for a railway. A woman in her 40's with her 20-somthing daughter in the car decided to outrun him when he was pulling about 75 loaded gravel hoppers. At around dusk. By the time he saw her there was no possible way to stop. I met him about 5 years after the accident and he still had nightmares about seeing the girl screaming and trying to climb over her mother to the other side of the car.

Stupid twunt. Killed yourself - good riddance. Nice job taking your daughter with you, bitch. But you left a survivor who didn't even know your stupid ass and who will never forget you.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 PM

So, does the Toronto system still toss down some sawdust after a 'power interruption', or was my friend from the beaches just fucking with me?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobotheoptimist
Shotguns are messy, but can be quite solitary.
Until the body's found, and some poor soul has to clean up the gory shreds and gobbets.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube E. Tewesday
It always amazes me how common suicide by subway train must be in Toronto. I've quite lost track of the times my travel has been disrupted by a "power outage situation" (Toronto Transit Commission euphemism for "we had to turn off the power on the tracks because it's dangerous to scrape somebody off an electrified rail"), and it's not like I spend my whole life on the subway.

I alway have the same reaction "I'm sorry your life was so miserable, but why are you messing up strangers with your departure?"
In London they're distressingly honest: "There are delays on the Central line [or whatever] due to a passenger under the train."
Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy
Until the body's found, and some poor soul has to clean up the gory shreds and gobbets.
That's what I meant by "messy", but at least it ... No, never mind. Nasty.

I'm not condoning the practice. Suicides might not check what's beyond their target thus endangering others.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask
I have only experienced one death on a train trip. I was on the bottom level of a Blue Mountains train and at the front of the carriage was a bunch of happy, drunken 20 somethings. One got up to go to the toilet but unfortunately forced open thecarriage doors rather than the toilet door and stepped out while the train was doing about 80ks. All of us up the front of the carriage saw his body fall past the first window.

The train was delayed for hours due to forensic requirements. His friends were almost in hysterics about the event - crying, hugging one another, making phone calls. But of course the rest of us just bitched and moaned about how the inconsiderate bastard had delayed our trip home. I was tempted to call out to his friends, "What a dickhead your mate was, eh?" but somehow resisted the urge.

Maybe you could find out the name of the suicide victim and send some abusive letters to his family. From my experience with suicides I am sure he was targetting the train driver and you - both would have been at the forefront of his mind.
What does any of that have to do with this thread? This is about suicide by train. What you describe is a tragic accident.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

If the suicide wanted maximum exposure in death, that seems to have been a bust. Haven't find any online coverage of the incident so far, apart from this thread.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaChick
In London they're distressingly honest: "There are delays on the Central line [or whatever] due to a passenger under the train."
OK, I'm starting to appreciate our Canadian reserve, as opposed to Britain's boorish Old World brashness.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess
It's funny (well, not ha ha, but something), when I was a suicidal teen, I didn't do anything because I didn't want to leave a body. I was horrified at the idea of someone having to haul my body away.

Maybe that was just an excuse. I don't know.
My mom thought about suicide the whole time I was growing up (I didn't know it) and said she didn't slit her wrists in the bathtub because that would have left a mess for Pop and us kids to clean up. I thought, that would have been our responsibility? Really?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
My mom thought about suicide the whole time I was growing up (I didn't know it) and said she didn't slit her wrists in the bathtub because that would have left a mess for Pop and us kids to clean up. I thought, that would have been our responsibility? Really?
I don't think that I could do that.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube E. Tewesday
OK, I'm starting to appreciate our Canadian reserve, as opposed to Britain's boorish Old World brashness.
Eh, it happens all the time. The tube has so many outages for pointless reasons that the people who try to keep it running want to make absolutely sure the passengers know that this time its someone else's fault. And indeed, whenever that announcement comes on a whole platform full of commuters will all mutter to themselves "inconsiderate bloody sod, why couldn't they just hang themselves or something" rather than the usual "my god, this lot couldn't run a bath never mind a tube network".

Occasionally you get "a person taken ill on a train" which gets a mix of "ah well, what can you do" and "if you're unhealthy you should avoid rush hour on, you idiot".

London - misanthropy capital of Europe.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:13 PM

Yeow.

I realize that this isn't trains or subways, but there's the people who live and work just under the Aurora bridge here. Condos, houseboats, offices, what have you.

It's high, it's got easy pedestrian access without the curved fence thingers on a lot of other bridges. Every so often, they'll see/hear someone go splat, or the emergency services arriving to take care of the jumper's mortal remains. Or both. It's had a pretty big effect on the folks. Nearly 50 people have successfully killed themselves off the bridge in the last decade alone.

As a result, the bridge's neighbors have set up a group to try and get the barriers put up, but money and politics are pretty big issues they need to get around.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask
Maybe you could find out the name of the suicide victim and send some abusive letters to his family.
:blinks:
Old 12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I took don't ask's comment, in the context of the rest of the post, to have been mild but dark sarcasm actually, Nancarrow.
Quote:

Old 12-04-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Drowning? Gadzooks, why don't these people just smash a vein open with a cell phone?

Hoping for instant and painless release by many tons of steel vs. slowly and painfully choking in the ice cold depths of a lonely lake... Nah, screw your commute. Burning and drowning are right out.

You all brought it on yourselves when your governments got all anti-gun. Shotguns are messy, but can be quite solitary. (I only mention this because drowning and burning are two phobias of mine, and everyone expects me to make at least one firearm reference per day, right?)
Have they outlawed cars and garden hoses? A lot less messy and painless than shotguns.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
BANNED

There was a poster on alt.fan.suicide who claimed to have attempted Suicide-By-Train, and failed. Both of his legs were severed (too high up for prosthetics) and his right arm was badly damaged and rendered useless. His biggest gripe was that the incident left him physically unable to kill himself by other means (I guess drugs & guns were unavailable to him) and he was cursed to live out the rest of his natural life in much worse shape than before he tried to kill himself.

Another man was profiled on the Discovery Health channel -- he was hit by a train, which severed his left arm and destroyed his right hand. (Doctors successfully attached his left hand to his right arm.) His official story was that his foot got "stuck on the tracks" -- but I suspect his motives were more suicidal in nature. (For one thing, when the police found him, he begged them to kill him...and if his foot got stuck, why were his legs undamaged??) In any case, he seemed pretty happy to be alive -- it happens sometimes.

Food for thought.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E
Have they outlawed cars and garden hoses? A lot less messy and painless than shotguns.
Think of all the greenhouse gases!

Does that actually work? I can imagine some poor soul, Journey playing on the tape deck of a 25 year old beater, slowly wasting all their gas as the fumes dissipate through the gap in the door left by the hose.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Modern cars, doesn't work so well anymore, as I understand it. Burn too clean.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Does that actually work?
Not as well as it used to. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In the past, before air-quality regulations and catalytic converters, suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning would often be achieved by running a car's engine in a closed space such as a garage, or by redirecting a running car's exhaust back inside the cabin with a hose. Motor car exhaust may have contained up to 25% carbon monoxide. However, catalytic converters can eliminate over 99% of carbon monoxide produced.[2]

The incidence of suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning through burning charcoal within a confined space appears to have risen. This has been referred by some as "death by hibachi".
e: f,b

Last edited by neutron star; 12-04-2007 at 06:47 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
BellRungBookShut-CandleSnuffed BellRungBookShut-CandleSnuffed is offline

ISTR a story about some kid who got drunk and fell asleep partially on tracks behind his house, and lost an arm. Then he did it again at some future date. I checked google but there are stories about people losing only one arm. Maybe it was just an UL.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakesCatLady
While I do have just a bit of sympathy for the suicides - they might not even be thinking of the effect their messy death will have on others and just be seeking a quick certain death - I wish I believed in hell for the ones who commit suicide by stupid.

Hey! A train is cominig! I think I'll try to outrun it!

A guy I used to know was an engineer for a railway. A woman in her 40's with her 20-somthing daughter in the car decided to outrun him when he was pulling about 75 loaded gravel hoppers. At around dusk. By the time he saw her there was no possible way to stop. I met him about 5 years after the accident and he still had nightmares about seeing the girl screaming and trying to climb over her mother to the other side of the car.

Stupid twunt. Killed yourself - good riddance. Nice job taking your daughter with you, bitch. But you left a survivor who didn't even know your stupid ass and who will never forget you.
Yeah, google "Operation Lifesaver" for more about this. Also search YouTube for "truck versus train" or "car versus train". Especially in the case of the trucks, the YouTube videos are unnerving - big semi trucks that seem so invincible on the road, and can total cars with barely a scratch themselves, literally explode when the train goes through. Nonetheless, train crew can and do get injured/killed by these events, despite the relative strength of the train. The worst thing about those videos is listening to the endless sounding of the horn. In an auto accident, you might be aware of the impending impact for a fraction of a second - in the cab of a locomotive, it can be a good part of a minute.

There was a level crossing in my state where five young guys were killed by a train. That has since been replaced by a bridge (good) which is named after them (BAD!). They don't deserve the recognition - they were racing the train.

Last edited by TheLoadedDog; 12-04-2007 at 07:02 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Sith Mod

Although "Five Moron Bridge" does have a ring to it.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
Although "Five Moron Bridge" does have a ring to it.
Y'know, there's a graffiti op there. It's called FIVE MATES BRIDGE, so a bit o' paint should do the trick.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath
Modern cars, doesn't work so well anymore, as I understand it. Burn too clean.
I didn't really intend to discuss whether or not CO is a viable* means of suicide. My comment was actually meant to be a jab at a previous posters anti-gun control comment in a thread about suicide by train.

*No anti-pun intended.

Please ignore my previous hijack and carry on.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong

Yeah, but what about a month later when I'm out on the lake with the old lady and the kids, having a beer, and hook into the biggest damned old catfish I never even dreamed about.

Then after two hours I finally haul up your rotting carcass? Gotta do better than that.

Last edited by Klaatu; 12-04-2007 at 09:16 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 PM

If we're throwing out horror stories, refreshing the board's memory of Juan Manuel Alvarez seems apropos.