The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-04-2007, 06:48 AM

So Why Don't They Make Teflon Coated Toilet Bowls?

It'd make cleaning them easier, wouldn't it?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Probably expense.

I recall in some SF novel, perhaps "The Mote In God's Eye", aliens provided a toilet for human visitors that had a frictionless or near frictionless bowl so no water was needed. That would be cool.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Teflon is soft enough that after a year of cleaning there would be enough gouges in the surface that would make things stick. After several years, the Teflon would either be worn off or a chewed up mess. Glazed ceramic stays smooth for decades. Besides that, Teflon is expensive compared to ceramic and would require a significantly higher level of manufacturing technology--a ceramics factory in Mexico couldn't do it.

That said, a Teflon trap sounds like a good idea! It would be slightly more slippery, and the shape would be more tightly controlled so it could be a better design. In other words, if it went down the hole, it wouldn't stop!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerfan
You could try cooking spray before you do you business.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:50 AM

Yeah, but paper would get all greasy and I'd want to shower to wash the oil off....
Old 12-04-2007, 09:55 AM

As cornflakes notes,. Teflon's pretty soft. If you use a standard-issue Toilet Brush on it, it'd be hopelessly scored and peeling after one scrubbing. I suppose that you could put Teflon on and hope that the users will only use the required soft-scrub products and pads to clean it, but if they don't, it ends up looking awful and actually retaining dirt, and there goes your several hundred dollar investment, literally down the drain. Glazed porcelain is pretty non-stick and a heckuva lot more scratch-resistant.

If you really want to guarantee a clean bowl, you could use what they used to have at the Utah Fly's Eye telescope. It's out in the middle of nowhere, by the Dugway Probving Grounds in the Utah desert. Hard to get good plumbing out there, and any water you truck in is too valuable to use flushing. So they had the incinerator toilet, charmingly nicknamed the "Destroylet". It's made of stainless, and you put a liner in it. Try not to pee. After you're done, you close the lid, flip the heater switch, and leave the room. Reduces the waste and the liner to fly ash.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflakes
Besides that, Teflon is expensive compared to ceramic and would require a significantly higher level of manufacturing technology--a ceramics factory in Mexico couldn't do it.
Probably right about the expensive part, but I've seen teflon applied, and it's actually not very high-tech: a sprayer to apply proto-teflon goop and an oven to dry it, basically.
Making the secret goop might be high-tech, but that's all done at a central plant and shipped across the country anyway.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
If you really want to guarantee a clean bowl, you could use what they used to have at the Utah Fly's Eye telescope. It's out in the middle of nowhere, by the Dugway Probving Grounds in the Utah desert. Hard to get good plumbing out there, and any water you truck in is too valuable to use flushing. So they had the incinerator toilet, charmingly nicknamed the "Destroylet". It's made of stainless, and you put a liner in it. Try not to pee. After you're done, you close the lid, flip the heater switch, and leave the room. Reduces the waste and the liner to fly ash.
Woah. I hope it has one of those lights like on ceramic hobs to warn you it's still hot before you sit down.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:51 AM

I've seen lately a lot of those toilet drop-in discs have teflon in them.

Clorox Blue
Old 12-04-2007, 11:17 AM

They could, however, make the porcelain antimicrobial, which might at least slow the growth of colonies that require scrubbing.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
BANNED

"So Why Don't They Make Teflon Coated Toilet Bowls?"
1- It's easy to clean new toilet bowls. Only the ones with years of scratch cleanser are dull and stained and hard to clean.
2- New toilets can be had at Home Depot for about a hundred dollars. Installation is easy, for average strength men and women anyway, and step by step instuctions are available online.

Teflon is not that benign in the environment. It is currently detectable in most water supplies, and in your bloodstream. Overheating teflon by frying things on High (there's even a warning on new pans that everyone ignores) creates poison gas that can kill parakeets and canaries. So all that teflon in the water supply, going into every food we eat, is constantly being overheated and releasing poison gas.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire
I've seen lately a lot of those toilet drop-in discs have teflon in them.

Clorox Blue
Is that for real? I remember reading a brief column in Science about 20 years ago which said that Dupont was trying to develop a water-soluble Teflon that could be applied at room temperature, and that they were unable to do so despite years of trying. They were primarily interested in developing a graffiti—proof coating for walls. Then I read something just a few years ago that said they were still at it with no success. Did they finally crack that nut?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerfan
My toilet bowl is made of porcelain, and is very easy to clean. Is yours made of wood, or do you have some unusual dietary habits?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus
Probably right about the expensive part, but I've seen teflon applied, and it's actually not very high-tech: a sprayer to apply proto-teflon goop and an oven to dry it, basically.
Making the secret goop might be high-tech, but that's all done at a central plant and shipped across the country anyway.
Don't you have to treat the surface you're spraying it on somehow? Y'know, to avoid the inevitable "how do they get non-stick coating to stick to the toilet?" routines from amateur comedians.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

One of the kinds of things you have to clean off a toilet will stick to teflon. Urine spattering causes calcium and other minerals to precipitate out of water. If you have nonstick cookware, you know that boiling water leaves deposits that must be vinegared off.

So, no. The poop may not stick, but the pee will.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Gedde Mistarted
Overheating teflon by frying things on High (there's even a warning on new pans that everyone ignores) creates poison gas that can kill parakeets and canaries.
If you're pissing superheated urine, you've got bigger problems than a few dead birds.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Gedde Mistarted
Teflon is not that benign in the environment. It is currently detectable in most water supplies, and in your bloodstream. Overheating teflon by frying things on High (there's even a warning on new pans that everyone ignores) creates poison gas that can kill parakeets and canaries. So all that teflon in the water supply, going into every food we eat, is constantly being overheated and releasing poison gas.
Excellent points, but really, it's not as if we're going to be overheating our toilets. When a canary drops dead in my bathroom, it's for a different reason.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:30 PM

Toto makes a toilet with a supersmooth coating for just this purpose. If you get one, you have to be careful not to scratch it with BonAmi or similar cleaners.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot
Toto makes a toilet with a supersmooth coating for just this purpose. If you get one, you have to be careful not to scratch it with BonAmi or similar cleaners.
A quick aside, Toto is a spanish word for girly parts, so as you can imagine I almost peed myself lauging when Toto brand toilets were installed in our middle school in Cuba. Good thing I was already in the bathroom.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
As cornflakes notes,. Teflon's pretty soft. If you use a standard-issue Toilet Brush on it, it'd be hopelessly scored and peeling after one scrubbing.
I don't know what kind of cheap nonstick surfaces you folks are used to (and not all nonstick surfaces are Teflon brand). But I've used a standard-issue nylon bristle kitchen brush to wash my Anolon nonstick pans (using DuPont's Autograph nonstick surface) day in and day out for over a year without any scoring or peeling.

If they can stand their daily scrub, a toilet bowl with a quality nonstick surface could stand a weekly scrub. Being a nonstick surface, it wouldn't need as much abrasion and scrubbing.

Last edited by Walloon; 12-04-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I don't know what kind of cheap nonstick surfaces you folks are used to (and not all nonstick surfaces are Teflon brand).
I've worked with blocks of pure polytetrafluoroethylene -- that's what Teflon is. It's soft. There are other "nonstick" surfaces out there, and they've developed ones that are hardier, but pure unadulterated Teflon isn't distinguished byy its strength. Even if you don't scrape it off, you can very easily gouge it so that it will mechanically trap dirt.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetbridge
My toilet bowl is made of porcelain, and is very easy to clean. Is yours made of wood, or do you have some unusual dietary habits?
Nah, just Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe
Is that for real? I remember reading a brief column in Science about 20 years ago which said that Dupont was trying to develop a water-soluble Teflon that could be applied at room temperature, and that they were unable to do so despite years of trying. They were primarily interested in developing a graffiti—proof coating for walls. Then I read something just a few years ago that said they were still at it with no success. Did they finally crack that nut?
It seems so, as they also make normal liquid bowl cleaners with it. I've seen them widely available for a couple of years now.

*squints* $58.00? That's either a misprint or a ten pack.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
If you're pissing superheated urine...
Wow, did that ever give me a flashback of campfires, a few engine blocks and Mr. Namunka's BBQ Pit.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot
Don't you have to treat the surface you're spraying it on somehow? Y'know, to avoid the inevitable "how do they get non-stick coating to stick to the toilet?" routines from amateur comedians.
Possibly, depending on the surface, but my recollection is that most things were just cleaned well. The key point is that you don't need to get Teflon to stick, just the liquid goop that turns into Teflon after it's baked.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risha
*squints* $58.00? That's either a misprint or a ten pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
There are no customer reviews yet.
hehe, and if it is really $58 a bottle, there likely will never be a review!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalenin
A quick aside, Toto is a spanish word for girly parts, so as you can imagine I almost peed myself lauging when Toto brand toilets were installed in our middle school in Cuba. Good thing I was already in the bathroom.
So, you think Dorothy was murmuring to her own vulva that they weren't in Kansas anymore?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithcats
So, you think Dorothy was murmuring to her own vulva that they weren't in Kansas anymore?
Do you think L. Frank Baum is on Castro's reading list?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM

I got a Kohler Cimarron toilet that I'm not happy with because the water level is lower than advertised. They said it was within tolerances and basically convinced me I didn't want to repeat the installation with a new one. Some people complain that itt doesn't rinse the bowl well enough when you flush, which is true but it hasn't been a problem for me. Apparently if you call and complain about it, they suggest that you coat the bowl with car wax.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Some toilet cleaning products offer "extra protection that lasts" after you use them. Probably leave behind a film that does much the same thing -- help things slide off instead of stick on.

Haven't tried one yet, so I can't vouch.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
As cornflakes notes,. Teflon's pretty soft. If you use a standard-issue Toilet Brush on it, it'd be hopelessly scored and peeling after one scrubbing. I suppose that you could put Teflon on and hope that the users will only use the required soft-scrub products and pads to clean it, but if they don't, it ends up looking awful and actually retaining dirt, and there goes your several hundred dollar investment, literally down the drain. Glazed porcelain is pretty non-stick and a heckuva lot more scratch-resistant.
Well, I was thinking of a unit with small, high pressure nozzles installed so that you wouldn't have to scrub it at all.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Teflon is not that benign in the environment. It is currently detectable in most water supplies, and in your bloodstream. Overheating teflon by frying things on High (there's even a warning on new pans that everyone ignores) creates poison gas that can kill parakeets and canaries.
According to DuPont overheating just about anything will produce gas that kills birds. I will be interested in the effects of teflon in the bloodstream. I'm not terribly concerned about it since the body has no real way to process carbon fluorine bonds. On the other hand, fluorine is a very common constituent in newer drugs, so it can interact.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher
According to DuPont overheating just about anything will produce gas that kills birds.
I call Bullshit. Dupont, come on man! I've seen a number of birds that have been killed due to fumes created from overheating polytetraflouroethylene. I've never seen a dead bird from burning dinner in cookware without Teflon.

Last winter I saw five birds that died when the owner plugged in a space heater. Turns out the heating elements were coated with PTFE to keep stuff from sticking to them prior to sale.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher
According to DuPont overheating just about anything will produce gas that kills birds. I will be interested in the effects of teflon in the bloodstream. I'm not terribly concerned about it since the body has no real way to process carbon fluorine bonds. On the other hand, fluorine is a very common constituent in newer drugs, so it can interact.
Dihydrogen monoxide can kill birds in its gaseous state, and that's a compound found in every kitchen.

(Obligatory dihydrogen monoxide post)
Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM

I have a Teflon™ coated nick-tie. I'm not sure whether this actually adds anything to the thread apart from stating that it's possible to Teflon™ cout fabrics. It's got an official tag to prove the Teflon™ boast.

The good thing is, I've never had to put that tie in the laundry.

Then again, I've never had to do that with any other tie either.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 AM

A better alternative than teflon

Instead of makign a non-stick bowl, you could have an automated cleaning system.
I have a BioBidet toilet seat that includes a water nozzle to act as a bidet (never understood why Americans haven't discovered the bidet) and it is very practical and comfortable. It has a heated seat, soft close lid, air drier and all kinds of "niceties". But the design could be easily improved to include a self cleaning system for the toilet bowl!
The BioBidet has a self retracting "arm" in the middle that has three fixed water nozzles on top. They could add one rotating/oscilating nozzle pointing down that would aim a narrow high-pressure water stream to the toilet bowl, rotating and oscilating to cover the whole seat. Given the current systems design it wold be trivial to do and even adding a cleaning agent receptacle and a scheduler, so the toilet woudl clean itself after each use or at a certain hour every night.
I'm sure it is the next "big thing", in toilets at least.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 AM

I wonder how well a diamond film would work? It's supposed to be slippery, and presumably wouldn't scratch easily like teflon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
Probably expense.

I recall in some SF novel, perhaps "The Mote In God's Eye", aliens provided a toilet for human visitors that had a frictionless or near frictionless bowl so no water was needed. That would be cool.
On the odd chance you check back in the 2 year zombie thread, it was in Niven's A World Out of Time. So you got the author right.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRojelio View Post
You could try cooking spray before you do you business.
Come on who's going to shoot cooking spray up their ass before they go to the toilet?

Oh, wait you mean something else, not spray coated turds.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 AM

I'm pretty sure I could produce gas that will kill birds at room temperature. Have some of that, Teflon.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Come on who's going to shoot cooking spray up their ass before they go to the toilet?
Isn't that why they have the little straw on WD-40?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
See, I had a dog named Bubba
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Great combination of user name and comment.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
I wonder how well a diamond film would work? It's supposed to be slippery, and presumably wouldn't scratch easily like teflon.

On the odd chance you check back in the 2 year zombie thread, it was in Niven's A World Out of Time. So you got the author right.
I've read A Mote in God's Eye, but not A World Out of Time, and I also remember the frictionless toilets. Perhaps Niven reused the idea.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

The song "Slip Slidin' Away" keeps running through my head.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 PM

Not mentioned so far, but every teflon coating I have seen has been dark colored -- usually brown or black. I think that it would be hard to get consumers to buy a toilet with the bowl a brown or black color. Especially if they had to pay double the price for it. So consumer acceptance would work against a teflon toilet.

(Possibly teflon can be made in other colors. I've just never seen any.)
Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 PM

There is one manufactured by Gotti, Inc. It's called The Teflon John.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
It is definitely in Mote as well, in the accomodation the Moties built for the humans. I remember the toilets in World Out of Time being a candidate for the Dictator Immortality, but not if they were frictionless.

Last edited by matt; 05-04-2011 at 12:11 AM..
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
Not mentioned so far, but every teflon coating I have seen has been dark colored -- usually brown or black. I think that it would be hard to get consumers to buy a toilet with the bowl a brown or black color. Especially if they had to pay double the price for it. So consumer acceptance would work against a teflon toilet.

(Possibly teflon can be made in other colors. I've just never seen any.)

Teflon in its natural state is pure translucent white. The only way to get it to be brown or black is to put coloring agents in it.

I strongly suspect that what you're thinking is Teflon is actually some other non-stick surface. Some of those, tougher than Teflon (and often slightly "stickier") are naturally of darker color.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaB View Post
I've read A Mote in God's Eye, but not A World Out of Time, and I also remember the frictionless toilets. Perhaps Niven reused the idea.
It's definitely in Mote, when Renner is in the palace:

Quote:
The bathroom - the toilet was different. Just as he had sketched it. Wrong: there wasn't any water in it. And no flush.

What the hell, there was only one way to test a toilet.

When he looked, the bowl was sparkling clean. He poured a glass of water into it and watched it run away without leaving a drop. The bowl was a frictionless surface.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Teflon Toilet bowls

Does anyone have a patent for this?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relling58 View Post
Does anyone have a patent for this?
Airplane toilet bowls have been teflon coated for years. During the change from regular stainless, we at Boeing switched over from wood to nylon test turds when functional testing the lavatories. Engineering was afraid the wood turds would scratch the teflon.