The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 AM

Why does Google think I'm a robot?

Recently, when trying to access Google, I keep running up against this error page:

Quote:
We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
I'm on a work PC, and have to assume that I'm not infected, and in any case, I went to Google by typing "google" in the address bar and hitting CTRL+Enter, same as always. How is that a "query ... similar to automated requests from a computer virus"? Since when did viruses attack Google by entering the URL in a browser address bar?

What's going on here?
Advertisements  
Old 12-13-2007, 08:15 AM

See, this is what happens when you fail a Turing Test.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
See, this is what happens when you fail a Turing Test.
Well that's just stupid. I've never tured in my life.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM

Are you using any proxies? I used to get those messages a lot when I was using Tor.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Similar to a message I got when I had a browser hijacker that tried to redirect my Google searches. I assumed that when I searched in Google, the hijacker would do it's own search, and I'd get the results they wanted. I'm sure Google is wise to this, and recognizes the query or the results.

Are you using Internet Explorer?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

How do you know you're not a robot?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster
Are you using Internet Explorer?
I work for a big company with thousands of employees constantly using the internet and potentially being exposed to security risks. Why on earth wouldn't I be?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 AM

Maybe all the company traffic is coming from a single IP, and Google thinks that is suspicious.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon
I work for a big company with thousands of employees constantly using the internet and potentially being exposed to security risks.
Admit it, you're just a program running on server farm. Your responses in this thread are clearly generated by an artificial intelligence.

Ask you computer tech people about it. It may be a problem with your company's proxy server or firewall. Or, maybe your tech people need to talk with Google's tech people to clear up the problem.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Could be an infected computer using the same proxy as you, getting the whole darned network flagged as a bot.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 AM
BANNED

Hey, robots need love too.

beep beep boop bop borp
Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon
I've never tured in my life.
Well, that explains it, doesn't it? Everyone needs practice before taking a test.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 AM

I've gotten that same message a couple of times. I assumed it had to do with the choice of my search keywords, because that's the only difference from the thousands of other times I used Google from the same computer. I can't remember what the keywords were, but I think some or all were product brand names.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone
Reminds me of the blond who thought she was a robot because she was made by a scientist.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4
I've gotten that same message a couple of times. I assumed it had to do with the choice of my search keywords, because that's the only difference from the thousands of other times I used Google from the same computer. I can't remember what the keywords were, but I think some or all were product brand names.
Just to clarify, I'm not even entering a Google search - I don't get the chance. I just enter www.google.com in the browser and get that page instead of the Google homepage.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Screwing the unscrutable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumBot
Hey, robots need love too.

beep beep boop bop borp
(waving arms indiscriminately and wildly)

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I've had that message a few times over the years. No rhyme or reason to it, it just pops up out of the blue, like a bad penny turning up again, just when I'd forgotten about the last time it annoyed me.

I never take any action to make it go away, just use Yahoo and try Google later, when everything's fine again and it greets me with no memory at all of having just accused me of being a robot.

I did make a half-hearted attempt to find out what was going on once and I seem to recall this is a fault at Google's end, nothing to do with the searcher at all, and that it always rights itself in a short space of time.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone
You're walking through the desert and you look down and see a tortoise. You know what a tortoise is, don' t you? A turtle, ok? You see a turtle. You flip the tortoise on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You're walking through the desert and you look down and see a tortoise. You know what a tortoise is, don' t you? A turtle, ok? You see a turtle. You flip the tortoise on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?
I don't have any hands, Dave.

Whenever I see something like this, Dave, I can only attribute it to Human Error. No Hal-5000 has ever let an animal die in the desert if it could help. Every time such a thing happens, it is attributable to human error.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Like Sam Stone, I think it's time you consider the possibility that you are a robot. Google knows best, after all. Have you been waking up in the middle of the afternoon to find empty bottles of motor oil lying around the house? Have your cats been a little more afraid of you lately? Have people been commenting on how uninflected your voice is recently?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:08 PM

I work as a contractor for the Coast Guard, and this happened to me at work a few months ago. The way they set up the network is such that they only have a handful (like 3 or 4) of gateways for the entire 40-50 thousand users. When this occurred, it actually happened across the entire Coast Guard network such that no one was able to use Google.

Fortunately, working for the Federal Government has the perk that when someone with enough stripes on their shoulder called them up, Google explained that they have certain algorithms that monitor accesses to their resources from specific IPs and if they exceed a certain threshold, they block them temporarily because it's likely to be a denial of service or some other form of malicious attack. Of course, being part of the federal Government, they were able to get the thresholds modified so it wouldn't happen again.

If you work for a large company and this affects your work, it may behoove you to contact your IT department and have them work with Google, but I'm unsure what their response would be to a private enterprise. If you're at home, you're probably SOL, because it means your ISP is probably doing something screwy or you actually have some malicious software on your system.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek
It's been a long time since I read the book, so I'm taking a bit of a guess here, but is the answer that I'm a cynical and affectless cop so worn down by the cold artificiality of my world and so removed from anything real or genuine in my life that I am less capable of experiencing human emotion than the simulated people I've been hired to hunt down? Cause if so, that's a sweet allusion you made!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumBot
beep beep boop bop borp
Hey man, keep that kind of language in the Pit.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM

Why not just ask it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Hit on Google
Why do you think I'm a robot?

Someone told me.
Either that, or it's your cold metal exterior giving you away.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Would you like a game of chess?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:55 PM

[\Bender] Kiss my shiny metal but. [Bender]
Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 PM

Bender says "Bite my shiny metal ass"
Old 12-14-2007, 01:20 AM

This happens sometimes in the UAE and Qatar as we have to go through a proxy (our internet here is censored). Not sure if it is still the case, but to the outside world all of Qatar used to appear as a single IP.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:15 AM

I've had it pop up when there were too many computers/programs connected to Gmail via a single IP address. Google sees a large number of requests from programs, including their handy desktop notifier, checking for new mail on a single IP and thinks it is being attacked.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I've never seen a turtle. But, I know what you mean.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravnik
Quote:
I've never seen a turtle. But, I know what you mean.
Damn, it's not from the book. It's from the movie. Oh well, at least I got the reference. Would a machine get that reference? I don't think so! Ergo, I must be human. Right? RIGHT?

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 12-14-2007 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: WHAT DO YOU MEAN I"M NOT HELPING?!?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Damn, it's not from the book. It's from the movie. Oh well, at least I got the reference. Would a machine get that reference? I don't think so! Ergo, I must be human. Right? RIGHT?
Even better. I'd say you're more human than human.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

About a week ago, I got nothing BUT that exact same error for two full days! It never mattered what I entered, every single thing I searched for got that error.

Have you ever tried to email Google? I spent hours trying to find an email address for them that might have garnered me a reply from a human being (who's the robot here?). In the end I felt I had no choice but to telephone one of their offices in California.

They left me on hold and never picked up. Fuckers.

Naturally, before going that route I assumed the fault had to be at my end, so I scanned the shit out of my computers with a half-dozen highly respected anti-virus and anti-malware tools. Nobody found nothin'.

It simply had to have been their error, the proof of which came home when -- after two days of nothing but that error -- Google suddenly started working fine again.

I've always despised Google, and this certainly hasn't improved their standing in my eyes!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambushed
I've always despised Google, and this certainly hasn't improved their standing in my eyes!
Too bad Google is the only search engine out there.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambushed
About a week ago, I got nothing BUT that exact same error for two full days! It never mattered what I entered, every single thing I searched for got that error.

Have you ever tried to email Google? I spent hours trying to find an email address for them that might have garnered me a reply from a human being (who's the robot here?). In the end I felt I had no choice but to telephone one of their offices in California.

They left me on hold and never picked up. Fuckers.

Naturally, before going that route I assumed the fault had to be at my end, so I scanned the shit out of my computers with a half-dozen highly respected anti-virus and anti-malware tools. Nobody found nothin'.

It simply had to have been their error, the proof of which came home when -- after two days of nothing but that error -- Google suddenly started working fine again.

Dammit, it's happening again. For at least the last 24 hours, I'm seeing the exact same thing!

I sent Google another email complaint yesterday, but, as in the first instance, I've never receieved any response from a human being. They just keep replying with a robotic email of their own with the exact same message as I get every single time I do ANY Google search!

AAARGH!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3=
Bender says "Bite my shiny metal ass"
To which I always reply: "Uh, the tin foil is supposed to go on your head."